Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was gonna try to update today, but I got about... 15 percent done with the latest update after like 3-4 hours of trying to work on it? And then I accidentally lost half of that work (which, don't worry, it's like two scenes)? So, uh, I'm just gonna go take a little break and probably plan this out better in the future so I'm not sitting in front of the computer for the entire day trying to bang one of these out.

All this is to say, I hope you guys are enjoying this update format, because it's so, so much loving harder for me, lmao. It seriously takes like four times longer to write them. I imagine it'll get better once we actually get to the Confidant poo poo, but right now it's slow going. And I really don't mind it, because the thought of just doing a straight redo of the old LP where I take all the same shots and write out all the same lines and make a couple of new jokes sounds like absolute bullshit and I'd hate myself for doing that, but it's clear that I underestimated the amount of work. Though that is, in its own way, kind of exciting to me.

Really, this is just me apologizing for setting an expectation that I never actually set to anyone but myself, because I have brain problems~. Don't worry, update will hopefully come, just probably like a week later because I'm gonna need to start working on these piecemeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
No worries, take the time you need to get the next update completed. For what it´s worth your LP made me buy this game after your LP, so thanks for that.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Arist posted:

I was gonna try to update today, but I got about... 15 percent done with the latest update after like 3-4 hours of trying to work on it? And then I accidentally lost half of that work (which, don't worry, it's like two scenes)? So, uh, I'm just gonna go take a little break and probably plan this out better in the future so I'm not sitting in front of the computer for the entire day trying to bang one of these out.

All this is to say, I hope you guys are enjoying this update format, because it's so, so much loving harder for me, lmao. It seriously takes like four times longer to write them. I imagine it'll get better once we actually get to the Confidant poo poo, but right now it's slow going. And I really don't mind it, because the thought of just doing a straight redo of the old LP where I take all the same shots and write out all the same lines and make a couple of new jokes sounds like absolute bullshit and I'd hate myself for doing that, but it's clear that I underestimated the amount of work. Though that is, in its own way, kind of exciting to me.

Really, this is just me apologizing for setting an expectation that I never actually set to anyone but myself, because I have brain problems~. Don't worry, update will hopefully come, just probably like a week later because I'm gonna need to start working on these piecemeal.

Take your time man. You are doing an lp of a remake to a long game you finished like a year ago. Youll burn out super quick if you dont find a way to enjoy it the whole time through.

Could be worse, at least you've updated your lp in the last three months :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 9: Side Story 1: The Trials of Sisyphus

When I wake up this early summer morning, I can feel already that this is to be an auspicious day, if for no other reason that maybe my neighbors will stop their daily loving firing of a small-but-particularly-hefty child’s weight in fireworks after tonight. The upside of the active pandemic destroying any ability to go outside or actually do anything interesting at all is that the high school football field I live right next to has stopped blasting out Top 40’s hits every Friday night from its sound system. The worst part, for the record, isn’t even the noise, it’s the guy in the unit next to me screaming out his window for them to turn it down, clearly completely loving oblivious as to how any of this poo poo works. However, while football may be gone, the people who live next door seem eager to fill the resulting void in the “terrorizing your neighbors” industry. If the passing of July 4th abates this, I’ll be happy for it.

But no. This is not what I sensed coming that fateful morning. That is something darker, more haunting, more malicious. It is something primordial, lurking in the negative space of my brain, within fear and doubt. It is the world’s justice, come to strike me down.

are you loving KIDDING M—

I hadn’t really watched much of the Persona 5 anime, despite finishing an entire LP of the game and currently being four updates deep into another LP of its rerelease. I never even finished the Persona 4 anime, and the P5 one had something of a reputation for being not just cheap but actively uninspired. One of the main things I knew about it was that the end of its original run just… stops at a certain point in the story, leaving a hilarious amount of stuff unresolved that has to be finished up in two OVAs. I had no particular interest in watching this anime, but I had an out, because I was familiar with the licensor, Aniplex…

...because they’re bullshit.

Yeah, I’ll totally pay $10 an episode for Gurren Lagann, a 13-year-old show that I don’t even particularly like anymore! And this sold out!

$90 for six episodes of a twelve episode series? What a steal! And if you don’t like that, you can always pay $130 for My Little Sister Can’t Be This Cute! Season 2!

And Persona 5 was not any different here, which was almost a relief honestly.

Now, Aniplex is also notable for actually putting effort into their dub productions, and that was notable here as well; the trailer they posted with the announcement made a significant effort to show off that yes, all the characters in it (which would be all the playable characters, Sae, the twins, and Igor) have the same voice actors as the game. But that just makes it worse because now I feel obligated to watch it! And I already know it’s bad! But, again, it’s a smooth triple hundo. I may have just spent a different three hundred dollars I got as a birthday present last month on Nendoroids, but I draw the line here! No more!

oh jesus CHRIST

gently caress

Episode 1
  • Welp, whatever, I guess I’ll just level my crafters while this episode plays, I don’t give a gently caress.

• So, there’s no English credits on the Funimation stream, and the Blu-ray isn’t out yet so I can’t actually check the voice actors, but something is… off about Igor’s voice. I think it’s still David Lodge, but either they have him doing a slightly different affect or the voice filter is just missing or altered. I would assume the latter because I’m familiar with the ADR director for the series and I’m fairly certain they worked on the game. Either way, it’s less booming and more… creepy.
  • On that note, they didn’t get the same voice actor for the most important role in the game, That One Detective What Has The Fish Eyes Going On Who Tortures Joker At The Beginning! 0/10!
  • I will say that every named character who appears in this episode (plus the SIU Director, ugh, who is neither named nor actually appears, we just hear his voice over the phone) has the same VA.

• Jeez, this art. These aren’t cherry-picked, these are all parts of fairly long, static shots, if not important ones. That third one with the MC (“Ren Amamiya,” for the record) standing in place with no face lasts eighteen seconds!
  • When Ren shows up at Leblanc for the first time, the news report the old couple are watching is about a psychotic breakdown, just like in the game. But this time, the old man says “drat millennials…” and folks, I squealed.
  • The script is better in some places (or at least more efficient because they have so, so much less time to work with), worse in others.
  • The main character doesn’t really fall well into any conception of him I ever had. Him talking more ends up negatively affecting the character because in the game, there was at least a sense of… purpose in the beginning, I guess? Like, he was aware of how hosed his situation was, and was clearly resigned to the way people were going to view him. Here, when Sojiro describes the incident, Ren weakly objects, which just kind of comes off a little pathetic. Like, you haven’t internalized how pointless it is to resist in your current situation, but you can’t even muster a more forceful response? He doesn’t even raise his voice. That plus all the shots of Ren frowning and depressed just make him seem like a total doormat. In the game I feel like the character would either at least take it more begrudgingly or be annoyed and smarmy.
  • The pace, the pace, the pace. It’s unbelievable. I guess they wanted to replicate the structure of the P4 anime, which moved the protagonist’s first Persona awakening up a bit so they could fit it at the end of the first episode. Despite P5 having less game before the equivalent event in its story, the ways they have to chop things down end up incredibly jarring. Nothing has any room to breathe whatsoever. Chief example of this being the protagonist heading to school with Sojiro, which is followed by the train scene and the scene with Sojiro in traffic… then a scene with Sae occurs, and then we skip to the scene in the rain with Ann the next day. It’s incredibly disorienting because it’s not even immediately clear that the front and back ends of the flashforward take place on different days.
  • Also worth noting: the scene with Principal Kobayakawa, Kawakami, and Sojiro where Kawakami drops the flyer for the maid service in Royal? That bit was taken directly from the anime!
  • They still aren't pronouncing "Takamaki" right, lord help me
  • Kamoshida is still D.C. Douglas, but... his Shadow has a really loving weird voice filter now! It's really bizarre!
  • I’m fairly certain that outside of the OP, which plays over the end credits of this episode, there isn’t any new music in the whole thing. Which, uh, not good, considering the music in the game is kind of distracting in this case and doesn’t do nearly the job actually writing new music meant to be an anime score would.
  • As this episode was ending I clicked on a YouTube video in my other monitor and the preroll ad was that one where I’m 100% sure the voice actor is Max Mittelman, weird.
We might check back in periodically with these because I’m an idiot who’s desperate for this to take even loving longer for some godforsaken reason.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 20, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No, I don't know why I did this either. :v:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I mean, I enjoyed it! The post, not the anime.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's a theory that Ann is Finnish and the hosed up pronunciation of "Takamaki" the game uses reflects the pronunciation of the Finnish surname "Takamäki".

Really, the way they pronounce "Ann" annoys me the most out of the weird choices made for the characters' names.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I don't think anyone should ever watch the anime adaptations of the Persona games in their entirety, and they are more enjoyable in random clip scenes. (Though, perhaps an unannounced anime adaptation of Persona 5 Royal will amaze me.) Besides the funny moments, the one redeeming quality is the Japanese VA for Ryuji; he seems to have much more flexibility in delivering his lines in the anime than he does in the video games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

There's a theory that Ann is Finnish

half-Finnish :anime:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That would be the great Mamoru Miyano, who will forever have a place in my heart for his portrayal of this fine chap:

(though J. Michael Tatum was also phenomenal in the role)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Isn't Sakamoto also pronounced in a weird way too, I don't think Ryuji is foreign. :v:

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Well it's good that they're pronounced the same way in the anime for the sake of consistency. They're in too deep now, they have to keep doubling down.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Honestly the anime got a bad rap when it was airing.i blame mother's basement, personally It's not great, but it does enough to stand out as a...fine adaptation. People forget that P4tA was no spring chicken in terms of animation...though it didn't have the All Out Attack On My loving Eyes.

Though, P4 The Animation had some of the UI assets as scene transitions and ad wipes, which was really cute and something I wish P5A did.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I've been watching the P5 anime now that the dub is out and honestly, I feel like the dub helps bring a lot of life to this show? I'd still much rather play the game, but the dub is doing a lot to endear me to the anime.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I liked P4A (dub) a lot more than P5A (sub). Maybe I'll give it a second try with the dub.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

P4A did a really good job with the characterization of Yu Narukami. So it's pretty disappointing that P5A doesn't do nearly as well with Ren.

Also P4A added some new scenes that weren't in the original game that are pretty great and I'm curious if P5A did anything similar.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 21, 2020

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

half-Finnish :anime:
I´ve seen quite a few finnish characters in several animes and JRPG´s. Is there some kind of cultural exchange going on in japanese media or what?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I´ve seen quite a few finnish characters in several animes and JRPG´s. Is there some kind of cultural exchange going on in japanese media or what?

I looked it up, and it turns out that Finland and Japan have a close relationship despite being so far away. Marimekko, which is one of Finland's most popular designer brands, got its start in the 1950s after being inspired by traditional Japanese art, and the company, as well as roughly 40 Finnish brands (as of 2017) have offices in Japan. Finland is also a popular tourist destination for Japanese people since it's cheaper to visit compared to neighbors Sweden and Norway (though I've heard that if you wanna get drunk, it's cheaper to take the ferry into Estonia and buy your beer there).

Both countries also really like Moomins. A Moomin theme park opened outside Tokyo last year.

KarmaKummitus
Aug 4, 2012

Miz Kriss posted:

I looked it up, and it turns out that Finland and Japan have a close relationship despite being so far away. Marimekko, which is one of Finland's most popular designer brands, got its start in the 1950s after being inspired by traditional Japanese art, and the company, as well as roughly 40 Finnish brands (as of 2017) have offices in Japan. Finland is also a popular tourist destination for Japanese people since it's cheaper to visit compared to neighbors Sweden and Norway (though I've heard that if you wanna get drunk, it's cheaper to take the ferry into Estonia and buy your beer there).

Both countries also really like Moomins. A Moomin theme park opened outside Tokyo last year.

Will confirm this. And Estonia is also correct. Finland raises or lowers booze tax rate, and Estonia lowers or keeps it standing still (most of the time). Some people bring enough beer that they need trolleys to carry them. Essentially, booze business in Estonia gets rich on Finnish sales and Estonia makes sure that it always has the cheaper beer. (Edit. Add. Also, Latvia does the same in consideration to Estonia. Baltic booze war for the win)

We also have Moomin theme park in Naantali, near by Turku. It's older then the japanese one, considering that I visited it as a child.

KarmaKummitus fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 22, 2020

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Sylphosaurus posted:

not to call you a liar but all I can think of on that front is little witch academia, what are some other examples?

Funky Valentine posted:

There's a theory that Ann is Finnish and the hosed up pronunciation of "Takamaki" the game uses reflects the pronunciation of the Finnish surname "Takamäki".

sounds wack, given how takamäki isn't pronounced like that either

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Personally I think the P5 anime does a pretty good job with the protagonist but it takes a few episodes for it to become evident what they’re doing.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

not to call you a liar but all I can think of on that front is little witch academia, what are some other examples?
The one that comes to mind right now is from the Akibas Trip or Beat games that had some finnish girl in the lineup, IIRC. I also recall eying through some high-school manga but I´ll be damned if I can remember the name of it right now.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The p4 Anime is worth it for the battle in episode12 where Yu just spams his entire Arcana army at the boss.
And they usually do have plenty of good new music tracks to add to the already existing game OST. (and supposedly there should be 50+ minutes of material for this show too)

Their music placement choice is often odd though (switching the two final boss tracks for Persona3? why?)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

P4 Anime is worth it just for the Summer 2-parter if nothing else.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Watch the dub, IMO. If only to hear Nanako call Yu a manwhore.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The best thing I can say about P5 Animated is that the dub actors went all out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 10: 4/14-4/15: Murder/Suicide

This update covers Part 8 of the original LP.

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

(Excited Girl) I think I might ask for his autograph after school.
 (Nervous Girl) I dunno if that's such a good idea... I hear that you shouldn't go near the PE faculty office. People say you can hear weird sounds, like screaming, even though no one's there...

Are you seriously trying to convince me that our school is *haunted*?

Early Morning → Afternoon

Music: So Boring

Think Takamaki might spill something?
 >She confronted us and told us to back off from investigating Kamoshida.
 Yeah, but her best friend Shiho Suzui is on the team!
 >That happened *yesterday*.
 ...Yeah, it's not a great idea.

Afternoon → After School

Music: Confession/Secret

That bruise above your eye... Is that from practice, too?
Y-Yeah...
Are you sure you're not pushing yourself too hard?

Yes, pushing *myself* too hard… No other possibilities…

I'm okay... Volleyball's the only thing I can do right...

...You're not going to answer your phone?
 It's probably just that part-time job I totally have! Modeling doesn't pay what it used to!

I... should get going.
Shiho... Are you sure you're okay?
 Uh-huh...

It's almost like my attempts to help Shiho are not only wholly misguided, but actively making her situation less bearable! ...Nah.

No, sorry, I can't gently caress you today, I need to have an emotional breakdown in public and then confide in someone I don't know at all.

(Rumor-Loving Student) Rumor has it she's dating Kamoshida.
 Seriously?
 I heard people saw them in his car together.
 You know... she seems pretty easy, huh? You think I'd have a chance, too?
 C'mon dude, you can't go after Kamoshida's bitch!

Whoa, man. You shouldn't call her that. It reflects poorly on you as well as myself. I know you love rumors and all, but spreading stuff like that crosses the line.
 Didn't you just call her easy a second ago?
 You're right, clearly we both have issues with latent misogyny we need to properly work out to better ourselves as people.

Glad those two were able to come to acknowledge their own sexism, and hopefully they'll work to interrogate it in the future. Just the entire rest of the school to go.

What? Oh… I’m in the way, aren’t I? Sorry…

No need to apologize.
But I was so *stupid*, standing in front of the door for so long! Please, I really am sorry. Stupid, stupid, stupid…

Hm, you don’t look familiar. Could you be that transfer student from Class D?

Got it in one.
I know there’s a lot of rumors going around, just… try not to let them get to you, okay? Oh, sorry, was that out of line? Oh no…
It’s fine, they don’t bother me.
That’s good to hear. I have a close friend who’s often judged as well because of her looks…
Wait, looks? Are you saying I look scary? Really? Huh…

Ah, sorry. I didn’t mean to drag on like that. Anyway, I have to go to practice. I’ll see you around.

I feel like total poo poo after talking to her and I have no idea why.

Music: Suspicion

I’ll take your current mood as a good sign.
You shouldn’t! *slams vending machine* Everyone just repeated what Mishima said! Kamoshida must’ve gotten to them first, maybe even warned them about us!

At this rate… looks like we’ll have to go to him directly…

What would that *possibly* accomplish?
I know it’s pointless… but I can’t just do nothing.

But seriously, isn’t there something we can do? No way I’m gonna give in like this!

Any ideas at all? I’m open to pretty much anything at this point.

No. I don’t even want to know what you mean by that. Actually, are you sure you didn’t assault that guy?
Yes! Fine! I dunno, call the cops then.
Oh, yeah, they’ll totally believe us and not the teacher, especially considering we have no evidence. Great idea.
Geez, at least I’m trying here… Wait. Slight tweak of the first idea: we do the sneak attack, but to *the king*.
Wait, the king? The other Kamoshida? Would that work? I never thought about that…
*There* you assholes are!

Music: My Homie

...You say something?

You were looking straight at me, dude.

That voice… Is that you, Morgana!?

Oh god, the cat followed us into the real world! Quick, kill it!
I can’t believe you just left me the other day… I will enact my vengeance upon you one thousand fold if it takes me a lifetime.

The cat’s talkin’!?

Not a cat! This is just what happened when I came over to this world! Just for that, my vengeance just got upped to one thousand and one fold.

Wait… You came to our world!? *gasp* Does that mean you’ve got a phone!?

……

You don’t need one when you’re at my level. I did get pretty lost making my escape though…

Still don’t understand why the cat can talk!

How should I know!?

Maaku, buddy. Tell me I’m not going crazy hearing this.

Loooooooove Max Mittelman’s delivery here.

You guys are having a rough time of this, hm? I heard you mention something about witnesses.
Oh, shuddup.

Well, you’re in luck, because I just might know a thing or two about how to deal with Kamoshida… You were on the right track when I showed up.
I’m not sure we should trust your “knowledge” here. You just admitted you have no idea what’s going on multiple times in this conversation alone. Do you actually have any experience with any of this?
Err… of course! You just wouldn’t get it, because I’m so much better at this!

God, that condescendin’ attitude! This thing’s gotta be Morgana!
You were still doubting me!?

Stop shouting! People are gonna freak out when they hear the demon cat talk!

(Disciplinary Committee Member) I just heard a meow somewhere near here. Didn’t you hear it?
(Disciplinary Committee Teacher) Make sure you check every nook and cranny around.

Does that mean only us two can understand what you’re sayin’?
Looks like it.
What the hell’s goin on?

But anyway… can you really help us deal with Kamoshida?
If you’re gonna be an idiot, can you at least be more credulous?
Tell us more… well, maybe not here.

Music: Wicked Plan

(dizzy) I thr—*cough* I threw up in your bag… This was one hundred per-percent intentional as part of my intricate revenge upon you. T-Tremble.

You said you know how we can do something about Kamoshida, right?

Oh, right. To be honest, you’d gotten most of the way there. It has to do with the king and his castle.

What do you mean?

That castle is this school to Kamoshida. He might not know what happens in it, but it’s deeply linked to his heart. So if we could make the castle go away, Kamoshida’s heart would change too.
Change how?
Think about it. The castle is his distorted desires made manifest. So if we were to get rid of it…
…His desires would vanish.
Exactly! You get it!

For real!? H-He’s gonna turn good!?

Wait… that’s not really payback, is it? It’s like we’re helping him, really.
If we erase his Palace, he’ll basically have a change of heart. But he’d still have to live with his crimes, and without his desires to spur him onward, he’d be unable to deal with the guilt and confess everything he’s done!

You for real!? That’s possible!?

And once the Palace disappears, there’ll be no evidence we were ever involved! It’s the perfect crime! Ignoring the calling card…

That’s amazing! You are one incredible cat!

I’m definitely exactly *one* of those things!
So what do we need to do to make this happen?
We steal the Palace’s Treasure.
Steal? What?
I’ll give you the details once you agree to help me. Gotta have some leverage, right? What do you say?
Seems like we’ve hit a dead end on this side, and I doubt we’re gonna find a better option here…
Guess we’re in, then.
Good, then we’re settled. Oh, also, before I forget this might turn Kamoshida into a vegetable. Well, let’s get to work!
Wait, hold on, what was that!?
Uhh… if all his desires disappear, he might lose the will to go on. He could just shut down completely, or even die. But that doesn’t change much, right?

Music: Disquiet

Die!? And would it be our fault…?
C’moooooooon, you guys are cool, right? You’re willing to face that risk, aren’t you? Don’t wuss out on me now! Nobody will even find out, you babies!
Yeah, I’m not cool with killing anybody.
Neither am I. Hurting people and getting away with it because nobody knows… that’s just like what Kamoshida’s doing now.
Whoa, hold on, no need to decide right this instant. Just give it some thought, and make up your minds before you see me next. It’s not like you have any other options. *leaves*
Ugh! I’ll… try to think of something else. Let’s go.

There’s some rumors about Suzui and Kamoshida… If they’re true, then it makes sense why she wouldn’t talk, but…
>But what?
I knew Suzui and Takamaki in middle school, and these rumors just don’t make sense! No way they’d go for Kamoshida! But then where did the rumors come from? We’ll have to look into it tomorrow. Bye!

This is technically a new sequence as in the original game some of these upcoming eavesdrop bits weren’t there, but I’m not counting optional eavesdrop sequences as “new content,” let’s be loving real.

(Rude Female Student) Maybe she doesn’t wanna talk to him at school to show off how she’s got him wrapped around her finger? Ugh… Gross.
Oh, so that’s what’s going on… I wonder how far they’ve gone together…?

Sad times for Maaku, no one even notices I’m here…

(Female Student Heading Home) He doesn’t look like the kind of guy who’d have a criminal record. Maybe he’s one of those? You know, the people in the accidents. Maybe he suddenly freaks out and attacks people.
Huh? I don’t think so. He’s just been coming to school. Actually, he almost seems normal. And from what I hear, after you have a psychotic breakdown, you go brain dead and die right there.

Something’s… off here.

Oh god, look at those levels, the lighting engine has gone rogue! It’s overexposing this poor bastard’s face!!! We’re all loving dead!!!!!

(Carefree Shujin Student) The volleyball team’s never going to tell him anything. They’re all completely loyal to Kamoshida.
Well, if Kamoshida likes them, their future is pretty much set. Of course they’d back him up. Speaking of which, I hear Kamoshida’s new favorite girl is someone named Suzui.
Oh, the girl who was chosen to be a regular? Ah, her face was all swollen. It looked pretty bad.

(Sleepy Student) You really want Kamoshida’s leftovers? I like the girl with the ponytail better…
Oh, you mean from the volleyball team? I guess I kinda get you… There’s also a really cute first-year with a ponytail though. Why not her?
Wait, there was a girl like that!? I didn’t look at all…

(Talkative Female Student) There’ve been similar accidents before, right? What happens if you get a psychotic breakdown?
Well, out of nowhere, you go crazy and violent, and then you suddenly pass out. In the very end, you die in a lot of pain. That’s what I hear. You die, or you’re as good as dead.

(Office Worker Heading Home) The train derailing the other day was horrific. If you ask me, it looked like an act of terrorism.
Maybe it’s a conspiracy, another country attacking us. You think they’re using mind control?
If it was mind control, they’re messing it up. Those people end up going brain dead, don’t they?

Time to head downstairs and conveniently run into Ann!

Wait, what!? That’s not what you promised! And you call yourself a teacher!? This has nothing to do with Shiho!
*dial tone*
Ah…

Shiho’s… starting position…

Yes. Wait, uh… no?

Haven’t you heard of privacy?

…… Sorry, that was uncalled for. *wipes tears* How much did you hear, anyway?
You were having an argument about your friend.
That’s… it’s nothing! Nothing at all…

Maaku has a fine talent for sticking his grubby little nose where it doesn’t belong, and as such, he is obligated to follow Ann.

(Cool-Headed Woman) She probably just got dumped or something. Leave her alone.

Not until I know you’re okay.
I don’t get you… Why are you even bothering with me? *sob*

It was just an argument…

An argument with Kamoshida?

It seems like she’s really stressed out…

Video: Confession

Music: Confession/Secret (Piano Version)

That Kamoshida and I are…? It’s not true at all, but…!

I’m out of time… he told me to go to his place after this…

If I don’t do it, he said he would take my friend’s starting position on the volleyball team… This was all for Shiho, that’s the only reason I could get through this, but I can’t take it anymore…
……
I can’t… I hate him! But I can’t hurt Shiho like that… I can’t hurt the only friend I have at that awful school!

Music: Sunset Bridge

That’s probably why it had to be me.
Yeah, maybe… or maybe it’s just because you’re weird.
Weird?
Most people just ignore me. Everyone says you’re a bad guy, but I’m not seeing it.

>I’m bad to the bone.

Heh, sure. Yeah, I had a feeling it was all too much to be true, and you seemed… I don’t know, lonely? Like there was nowhere you belonged, like me. Maybe that’s why I could open up to you.
People sure like projecting their problems onto me. It’s fine, I’m kind of a blank slate like that.
I just wish I knew how to help Shiho. If only Kamoshida would just forget all about me, or change his mind… No way that could happen, though…
Couldn’t it?
It was just a fantasy. Thanks anyway, though. I should head home. Keep this between us, okay? I’ll figure out how to deal with Kamoshida myself.

Wait, I don’t think you’re allowed to take those cups with you!

Are you leaving?
What is it?

Mr. Kamoshida wants to see you… I don’t know what he wants, but he seemed weirdly upset and kept muttering something about a “drat tease”… I need to go hide in case he gets mad at me again…

Well, I’m sure Ann’s toying with Kamoshida will have no negative consequences for Shiho here!

After School → Early Morning

A cat wouldn’t leave me alone, and then I had to resolve an impromptu emotional crisis.
Fine, don’t tell me. God, you’re a weird kid.

...By the way, you haven’t been hanging around any bad influences, have you?

I think the school itself is probably a bad influence on me… but I did make a friend.

Huh. They’ve gotta be pretty strange to want to spend time with you.

Why do people feel so comfortable talking poo poo about me to my face? Do I have the aura of a placemat?

*yawn* Look at the time. Seriously, think about how I feel having to stay up here waiting for you.

In the future, try not to come back so drat late. Understood?
*nod*

The whole “stealing desires” thing is going right over my head, but I know I’m not down with killing anyone if we mess up. Yeah, I’m pissed off at him, but leaving him brain dead? We’ll have to turn Morgana down. I’ll think more about what to do tonight.

Early Morning

(Worried Volleyball Player) She was with Mr. Kamoshida! There’s a lot of *scandalous* rumors flying about the two of them…
None of that stuff is true, though… Right?
Couldn’t be…

Man, it’s been nothing but bad news lately. I’m worried about the future…
Oh, that reminds me. Apparently, a guest is coming to the school today. Some young guy I think…
...Oh? Tell me more.

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

Why’s it called the National Diet anyway if it’s full of fat cats? Eh??? Eh?????

My new character gimmick is that Ushimaru is a struggling stand-up comedian. This is now canon to the LP. Anyway, all he’s talking about here is the separation of powers to extremely circuitously foreshadow the Shido stuff seventy hours in the future.

This is really the only choice you have, just listen to—
AAAAAA
Quiet down!
AAAAAA
Hamiru, stop screaming. I think I hear the cat that’s been giving the disciplinary committee so much trouble…

M-M-Meow!

>Are you cutting class?
I can’t deal with that poo poo right now. I mean, what’re we gonna do about Kamoshida? Do we just gotta go along with what that cat says? Urgh, that drat furball…

My patience grows thinner by the day. One day soon, you will all know my wrath.
Thank you for reading that aloud for me. I keep almost getting caught with the text-to-speech in class.

Enough! This is a classroom!
Wait… She’s going to jump!

Hey! Stay in your seats! Do not step foot outside of this room!

Music: Desire

Shiho :smith:

Line Changes!

In the diner scene with Ann, “Are you really a bad person as the rumor says….? You just don’t seem like it.” has become “Are you really a bad person? I’ve heard people talking about you, but… I just don’t see it.” Much less awkward.

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 14, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This update was originally going to be longer but uh, Chadwick Boseman died and I really wanted to rewatch Black Panther. That's not the entire reason, but it's legitimately a big part of it.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I still like how Ann allows the conversation to continue in a completely different setting just to make sure the animated cutscene still makes sense.

Also, yes it is a sad day.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

DeafNote posted:

I still like how Ann allows the conversation to continue in a completely different setting just to make sure the animated cutscene still makes sense.

Also, yes it is a sad day.

Is there any animated cutscene in this game that isn't completely contrived compared to how the rest of the scene is playing out?

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Arist posted:

Hey! Stay in your seats! Do not step foot outside of this room!

What a horrible bastard. I always forget about this line and it catches me off guard every single time.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
A slight change in animation is a small closeup to Ann when she starts running away from Maaku. In the original, the camera starts from Maaku's position immediately.

:rip: Chadwick Boseman

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
That update felt real lovely for a number of reasons, but I'm going to be petty and say that Ushimaru is one of those whiny hacks who complains about political correctness preventing him from pulling out his truly funny bits.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arist posted:

My primal sexual desire that was sealed away has been awakened by the sight of this catgirl. I am now horny forever.

poo poo, he does first see her with the cat-ears. I guess it doesn't quite come out of nowhere.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 11: 4/15: Expulsion Speedrun Any%, No Violence Skip

This update covers Parts 8 and 9 of the original LP.

She fell!
She jumped! S-She jumped!
What about an ambulance!?
Come now! Back to your seats!

Mr. Ushimaru: master of tact.

(Dismayed Female Student) Yeah, I saw it. After falling from that height, she must be seriously hurt or worse!

(Male Student Feigning Morality) (these loving names) Someone has an accident, and you want to see because of your morbid curiosity? It’s not right.
Oh, yeah? Then how come you’re here? You want to see it too, don’t you?
What? N-No… I’m just worried…

There’s no way we’re gonna get past all these goddamn people… C’mon, let’s try goin’ through the practice buildin’!

What the hell!?
Let me through, man! Please!

(Unabashedly Curious Student) Nah, there was too much of a crowd there. You wanna go check it out later?

(Composed Female Student) No, she won’t die from that low height… I’m sure she’ll be fine.

Oh hey, it’s Makoto. What unfortunate circumstances for our first sighting of you.

I’m going to the faculty office. I’d better warn everyone not to go online and talk about this, too…
What!? Um, but who’s going to explain the situation to the paramedics…? And what about tending to the victim!? There are more important matters to address!

Poor Makoto. Well, she’s not the one in immediate physical jeopardy at the moment, so maybe we should save some of that empathy for Shiho instead.

Word of advice here, teachers: this is the wrong tack!

Shiho!
*looking at jackasses filming this* What the hell’s wrong with these people!?

These craven fucks.

I’ll go!

I’m sorry. I… I can’t take this… anymore…
Shiho?
*whisper*
…Huh? …Kamoshida!?
Ngh…
No… Shiho!?

Did you see that? Her leg was totally bent the wrong way!

Return to your classrooms at once!

I couldn’t get a clear shot of it due to the crowd, but rest assured that Mishima is running away here.

Mishima’s acting weird… we should follow him.
Yeah, he must know something.

...We’re gonna make him talk this time.

Great job you’re doing here, Kobayakawa. A+.

...That hurts!

The implication here seems to be that Ryuji is grabbing Mishima’s arm or something to stop him from fleeing and hurting him in the process, not that Ryuji, himself a victim of abuse, is beating up another abuse victim. Still, it’s just kind of weird because this isn’t reflected in the actual animation. What *is* reflected in the animation here though is that throughout this conversation Ryuji is impatiently bouncing his knee the whole time. It’s a really neat detail.

We know you know something. Why did you run?

I didn’t run…

*slams locker with fist* Dude! She tried to kill herself!

L-Leave me alone…

Just tell us what you know.
He’s right. This ain’t about getting you in trouble. We won’t say it was you, even.

Suzui…

Huh?
When he gets upset, he’ll call someone to the teacher’s room and hit them. It’s happened to me too…

We already knew that, Ryuji!
Oops…
But yesterday was… different. Suzui didn’t do anything wrong at all… It seemed worse than usual somehow… He was really pissed…

He didn’t…

*runs off*

Ryuji, wait! At least let me be a part of whatever mistake you’re about to make!
*stares at the ground*

Music: Tension

Mr. Kamoshida’s probably in the PE faculty office on the second floor.

All right then, let’s go get expelled! :toot:

You bastard! The hell did you do to that girl!?

What are you talking about? Do girls even go to this school?

Don’t play dumb with me!

That’s enough! That chair has done nothing wrong!

What you did… wasn’t coaching…!

You… You ordered me to call Suzui here… I can only imagine what you did to her…!

Basically, you’re simply making these claims because you can’t be a regular on the team, right?
That’s not what this is about…!

Even if it was true, hypothetically of course… so what? What can you do about it? We just got a call from the hospital… Suzui’s uh… totally not gonna make it. No chance of waking up from her coma… yeah… No statement from her, nope!

I love that apparently all the poo poo he says about Shiho not having a chance at waking up is just total bullshit. Like, it never comes up again and she absolutely does get better so… he just lied, ha.

Another great character animation detail here: Ryuji literally shaking with rage here.

Oh, you’re getting angry? Do I get to… I mean *have to* break another leg?

You shut your mouth, you son of a bitch!

Why’re you stoppin’ me…!?

I’ll pay with as many limbs as it takes to wipe the smile off this smug bastard’s face!

>Don’t let him get to you.
But still!
Oh? You’re stopping him? What a surprise. There’s no need to hold back. Why not attack me? …Ohhh, you caaaan’t. Hahaha, but of course you can’t!

Wha—
You can’t make a decision like that…!

Why would anyone care what you delinquents have to say? Especially you, Mishima. Why do you think I kept you on the team at all with your lack of talent? Leaking the poor transfer student’s criminal records like that… I hear it spurred him into violence, what a shame…
Wait… Is that true, Mishima?

He told me to do it. I had no choice…
*disgusting, pig-like laugh*

You’re done for; your futures are mine to take. Now get out of my sight.
I can’t believe this rear end in a top hat’s gettin’ away with this…!

Don’t worry, he won’t.

Huh? …Oh right. We have that!

Finally, you get it!

Huh? Have you lost your minds? You worthless kids aren’t making any sense, but sure, go ahead and try. After all, you’ll have plenty of time to kill until expulsion…

The next board meeting actually isn’t for a couple weeks. It’s a little awkward, honestly. Keep up with your studies, I guess?

Morning → After School

What did we do for the rest of the school day? Just sit in class and try not to think about suicide?

Let’s go kick his rear end!
We’re not beating him up! Stealing, not assault, remember!? But at least you seem to have made up your minds about taking the risk.
Yeah… That bastard drove someone to attempted suicide. I don’t care what what happens to him.
Agreed.
How hard is it to get rid of a Palace anyway? How did it go before?
I never said I’ve done it before.
Wait, what!?
Great, the cat has no idea what it’s doing, this is all based on its animal loving instincts!

Also, why are you talking to a cat?

That rear end in a top hat’s at it again! So you came all this way just to tell us that?

I don’t know what your plan is for Kamoshida… but let me help.

I can’t just sit back and do nothing after what happened to Shiho!

This is none of your business…
Yes it is! Shiho is my—
Back off! You’re just gonna get in the way!

……

Harsh…
It’s too dangerous for her anyway. Let’s go.

I hope she doesn’t do anything too crazy. Women can be much bolder than men at times.

From this point on, we’re phantom thieves, so get ready.

Huh? Phantom Thieves?
Those who covertly sneak in and stylishly steal Treasure—that is what we become!

Sounds cool! So we just say the keywords and we’ll end up over there. How’s this work, anyway? You think someone built this app thing?
Who cares? We just need to use it.

True. There’s not much point thinkin’ about it now. We’ll show that effin’ Kamoshida!

They’re doing something on their phone? A name… School?

Music: King, Queen, and Slaves (Another Version)

Well, *poo poo*.

That voice… Sakamoto!? And… are you Hamiru-kun!?

Hey, how’s it going?
Why are you even here!?
I don’t know! Where’s the school!?

Not now Morgana, there’s work to do… But definitely later… Maybe that app thing dragged her in with us.
Wait, this is related to whatever you have planned for Kamoshida, isn’t it?
Uh, sure. Now go home!

No!

We need to quiet down or the Shadows will get agitated.
Ohmygodmonstercatkillit!
Well, that’s just uncalled for…
Tell me what’s going on or I won’t leave!
Welp, looks like we’re just going to have to physically carry her out of here.
Bringing her back to where we came in should bring her back to the real world.
Okay. Little help?
I’m not really cool with manhandling her, you know.
Oh, shut up, we can’t waste any more time here.
Hey! What are you—

Let’s… be more careful in the future, yeah? Though none of us really know how any of this works, so…
Amateurs…
Well, that was an auspicious start to this. Let’s hope the rest goes better. Hurry up.

Ann Takamaki, huh… *sigh* Lady Ann…
The cat’s got the heart-eyes, dude. I’m not liking where this is going.
We’ll get him neutered later, let’s just focus!

The Shadows have noticed us. You better brace yourselves, got it? We’re counting on you, Joker!
Joker? That a nickname?

We all need codenames so we’re not shouting out our real names in someone’s subconscious.
But we’ve already been doing that!
So, why Joker?

Because he’s our trump card when it comes to fighting strength.

What? The joker isn’t actually a good card to have, dude!
Okay, me next! I’ll be… Skull!
You know, it doesn’t have to be literally the first thing you think of.
Shuddup. What about Morgana?
Just pick anything for me.
Okay… How about Mona?
You mean that weird internet meme that’s going to be completely lost on anyone potentially following this outside of Japan for whatever reason?
Yeah, but why would anyone do that? It’s fine.
All right, no more normal names. They are dead to you, we have cast them off. We’re Joker, Mona, and Skull now.

Yep, let’s get going.

Wh-What the hell!?

Music: Blood of Villain

They’re probably just gonna keep coming back, so please actually kill them this time!

Praise be to King Kamoshida!

How long is it going to take for you to understand that the goal here is *not* to beat the unholy poo poo out of his Shadow? We need him to confess! We need the Treasure!

Aaaand we immediately walk straight into an enemy.

Should we fight it?
…This might be a good opportunity to teach you something. Let’s go!

Music: Last Surprise

Knock down all the enemies and you can do something else during a Hold Up besides an All-Out Attack. You can negotiate with Shadows too! You might even get better rewards for talking than just defeating them all!

Music: Talk

Ah gently caress, the intruders got me!

Ah poo poo, I’m out at the moment! I spent it all on gacha! Please, forgive me!
Just die.
gently caress. Wait… I really felt that response. You and I are kindred spirits, y’know… Let me come with you! I’m Pixie!

Man, those Shadows talk like complete morons, this negotiation thing seems kinda—
What the hell just happened? Why did it join you?

Everyone get ready, here’s another one!

Music: Last Surprise

What.
What.
What? Is this good?
Being able to use multiple Personas is amazing! You’re really something else, Joker!

Joker has the wild card, the ability to wield multiple Personas, yadda yadda…

The only reason I included this fight is because they changed Pyro Jack’s name to Jack-o’-Lantern, which I guess it was always supposed to be but also gently caress THIS. I’m UPSET over BULLSHIT.

One neat thing Royal added: whenever you find a weapon that’s stronger than whatever the applicable character has equipped, they will ask if you want them to put it on immediately.

It’s a safe room. Let’s rest and discuss our strategy.

I’m back! But man, what a weird app… I just repeated what Sakamoto said, and…

Aaaaaaaah!

Security’s even tighter than it was before, what a pain in the rear end!
Well, maybe you should have thought of that before you provoked Kamoshida.
We didn’t even know how this worked then! But how are we supposed to steal this Treasure anyway?
We need an infiltration route before we even think about that. But we’re lacking in manpower…
Wait, if you don’t have your memories, how do you know all this in the first place? This is pretty suspicious, honestly…
Mega sus.
I hate you guys so much.

Princess…?

She seemed like an intruder, but… Nevertheless, we need to take her back to King Kamoshida!

I’m gonna scout ahead and look into whatever this is. Stay here, won’t you? *leaves*
What a weird goddamn cat.
1000% behind you there.

Music: Tension

The Shadows have captured Lady Ann!

Lady…? I’m telling you man, this cat is making me uncomfortable.
Later! How would they have gotten to her, though!? We sent her home already!
Maybe she got the app somehow, I don’t know! It doesn’t matter! We have to move, now!

And so we retrace our steps…

This is really loving weird! Why do you guys even have this gross bondage gear?

So, this is the intruder.

Kamoshida!?

More importantly, what is this place!? Why’s the school turned into something like this!?

Well, at least she figured out that the castle is the school faster than Maaku and Ryuji did. This kid’s gonna go far.

I can’t believe you mistook my Ann for someone like her! *sneering laugh* Are you afraid?

Oh god, that gross outfit… Please shave your legs if you’re gonna go around in nothing but a cape…
This is my castle, and I do what I want here…

What the—!? Wait… Is this some red-light district!?

Okay, maybe she’s still a little slow on the uptake, never mind.

Enough of this poo poo, Kamoshida!
Oh, she’s decided to talk back to me. What do you think about that?
Totally unforgivable…
Then… execution is the suitable punishment!

*approach Ann*

Now, how to play with you…

Oh, gross… Is this how he sees the girls on the volleyball team!?

I knew it. I knew that the instant I was about to start having some fun you jackasses would show up to ruin things. drat guards can’t take care of anything…
Sakamoto! What’s going on!?
Oh, I see. You’re pissed at me too, just like those thieves over there. That’s why you’re here. But it’s really your own fault that girl jumped, you know.
Wait, *what*?

You were so reluctant to throw yourself onto me that I had her take your place.
You bastard!

You really think he’d have figured out not to rub it in by now, but…
I think he’s just incapable of learning.
What are you babbling about over there?
You just dug your own grave, my man.
Oh really? I’d like to see you—

I’ve had enough of this…

Video: Ann’s Awakening

Music: Awakening

Tell me… Who is going to avenge her if you don’t?

Nice to see you again, Ann. Maybe we'll get more use out of you this run.

Line Changes!!!!

After Ryuji scares Ann off in the courtyard, Morgana’s set of two lines “I hope that she doesn’t torment herself over this. When it comes down to it, women don’t hesitate.” becomes “I hope she doesn’t do anything too crazy. Women can be much bolder than men at times.”

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 14, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Gotta have Ryuji thoughtlessly taunt Kamoshida so that the game arbitrarily has a deadline for the first palace. It is interesting to think what if they did not confront Kamoshida, and instead, Suzui recovered to deliver a testimony of Kamoshida's actions. Would an account from a student who attempted suicide have changed anything? I doubt it...

Arist posted:

I love that apparently all the poo poo he says about Shiho not having a chance at waking up is just total bullshit. Like, it never comes up again and she absolutely does get better so… he just lied, ha.

He may not have lied. Given scenarios established in Persona 3 and Persona 4, perhaps your team forcing Kamoshida to confess is what causes Suzui to recover.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh hey, it's started. Can't wait to see Arist slowly descend into madness once again. :v:

I actually don't really know much of anything about this version, aside from a few changes here and there. Nothing past Okumura, at least.

Solitair posted:

This first impression of a new character reminds me of those fanfics where the writer adds their OC into the main plot of the source material.

Agreed. And I don't think it bodes well for her screentime that she seems to be getting introduced at the end of Sae's dungeon.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 9, 2020

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

She’s integrated into the story way better than Marie was, at least.

Gorka
Aug 18, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Dunno which Kamoshida is more despicable, the obviously evil lecher king or the scumbag abusive teacher. Maybe the latter just because the game protects him from any repercussions at this point, rather than the former, who just because of his clothing feels kinda silly and has already lost face a few times.

Also rumors in this game are really stressful. High-schools can be cruel places, but here everything gets repeated and amplified really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Gorka posted:

Dunno which Kamoshida is more despicable, the obviously evil lecher king or the scumbag abusive teacher.

The teacher, by a wide margin. The psychic construct hasn't actually raped anybody.