Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone have a link to the painting discord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
What would people recommend for basing material? I can't find sand/fine granules at my nearby craft shop's online catalog, and what I found on Amazon seems to be far too high quantity for this purpose.

This Army Painter Basing Set seems like it might not be great value, but I'm not really sure where else to get these things, and I don't mind wasting a few bucks at my FLGS.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Flip Yr Wig posted:

What would people recommend for basing material? I can't find sand/fine granules at my nearby craft shop's online catalog, and what I found on Amazon seems to be far too high quantity for this purpose.

This Army Painter Basing Set seems like it might not be great value, but I'm not really sure where else to get these things, and I don't mind wasting a few bucks at my FLGS.

Depends on how fine you're looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL_xRxbxnbE&t=4s

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Dollar Tree or Poundland. You'll find sand, gravel, mod podge, floral wire, super glue, and odd toys you can break for scifi debris.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

Flip Yr Wig posted:

The Vallejo pastes are a very good alternative to glue+sand and come in various grades of coarse/fine.

If you do want sand then aquarium suppliers sell smaller bags at least, though it's more expensive for the weight.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

Dollar Tree or Poundland. You'll find sand, gravel, mod podge, floral wire, super glue, and odd toys you can break for scifi debris.

Ah, cool. I'll give my nearby Dollar Tree a call to see if they have that SKU.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I really like the vallejo Grey Sand texture paste. its fine grain and can shaped easily.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Presuming you dont want to buy a massive sack of sand at a builders yard, you can often get smaller bags of it in pet stores. Something to do with birds I think? Or possibly lizards or fish? Similarly bags of gravel/small stones. I also have a 1.65 lb tub of "dyft" decorative sand stuff I got from ikea that I havent actually used any of yet, but it should work fine. Not totally sure what ikea intend it for, possibly putting in jars/vases as ballast for fake flowers but it wasnt expensive.

That set looks okay (although, as you suspected, probably not great value). I use a variety of things depending what I'm doing: Sawdust flock for short vegetation, static grass for more overgrown areas, some fine builders sand as well as some rougher sand (for different ground textures), small stones I found on the ground, a big lump of slate I smashed up, some cork coasters I can tear up for flatter rocks, some small twigs I dried out in the oven for fallen logs, some army painter tufts and a big lot of mixed grass and flower tufts I got off ebay. Oh, and a tub of broken watch parts when I need some gears or whatever. I've got some cheap texture paste I got out of flying tiger too that was like £2 and I really regret not buying like another 4 tubs when I had the chance. I've also got some guys who I am planning on basing with GW agrellean earth, but I need to have a play with it first. And some ModPodge Dimensional Magic for very small amounts of liquid (if you are doing terrain get a proper water effect, but it works well enough for a small puddle on a base).

I quite enjoy basing miniatures sometimes, not sure if that shows. If you are doing an army you dont need all that, what you need is to decide on a theme (swamp, grassland, desert, urban rubble, alien plains, lava field, whatever) and get what you need for that. No point buying 5 different colours of flock if you are doing a desert scheme army. I find a ground covering (flock, static grass, texture paste or sand) with 1-2 points of interest (bits of gravel, grass or flower tufts, fallen logs, skulls, tombstones, whatever) generally gets your theme across without overpowering the miniature, but you may like more or less than that.

Ebay is your go-to for small amounts of stuff like that if you cant find anything locally tbh, plenty of people have a static grass applicator and make and sell their own tufts, railway guys buy big bags of stuff you only want a little of and part it out into ziplock bags and sell them, and so on.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Getting back to working on my Darkest Dungeon minis, finished up The Collector and the Grave Robber:

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

R0ckfish posted:

Unfortunately its a bit more involved! I used vallejo grey sand, basecoated with baneblade brown, washed dark oath flesh before a drybrush of rakarth flesh.

That'll be why it looks really good! Here's my attempt at a similar basing a few weeks ago. Badlands, shade with agrax but no drybrush as I was quite lazy!

https://imgur.com/toQjWoG

Misty Fog fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 20, 2020

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Misty Fog posted:

That'll be why it looks really good! Here's my attempt at a similar basing a few weeks ago. Badlands, shade with agrax but no drybrush as I was quite lazy!

looks good nonetheless!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Posting up my test base scheme for my army/objectives since we're sorta doing basing chat and I just finished this last night.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Have any of you guys heard of "Turbo Dork" paints? An LGS just announced they're starting to carry 'em. Never heard of 'em, never seen 'em on any of the various Youtube painting channels etc.

They got some neat looking colors :shrug: Can't hurt to go try out a color or two I suppose

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

tangy yet delightful posted:

Posting up my test base scheme for my army/objectives since we're sorta doing basing chat and I just finished this last night.

What's your recipe for that color? It looks like dry beach sand, and I really like it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Silhouette posted:

What's your recipe for that color? It looks like dry beach sand, and I really like it.

Thanks. I put down a mix of Army Painter Brown Battleground and Battlefield Rocks on PVA glue, dried, brushed on thinned PVA glue over top of it all to hold it better which also seemed to darken it slightly, then painted with Celestra Gray, washed with Agrax Earthshade, drybrushed Celestra Gray sorta heavy, drybrushed Vallejo Foundation White. Finished with a tuft of Army Painter Deadland Tuft.

I will probably try seeking out some cheaper paint that's similar to Celestra Gray. I also don't know how I'll like the tuft after I spray gloss and then matte varnish over it all so that may or may not be better added after.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Xpostin

Like I mentioned before, I haven't painted anything in probably a decade, but I bought some paints and some minis and managed to knock out a Stormcast Eternal and a unit of Guardsmen this week. They're not great but I'm having a lot of fun and it's very calming :shobon: (ignore the sergeant, I'm waiting on a better brush to put more detail into him)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Meeple posted:

I finally finished a Thing:

Huge thanks to all the help and advice here and on Discord, especially while I was busy mangling NMM for the first time.

This is rad as hell - were you replicating a West African pattern on the robe or was that just a coincidence? My gf has a headwrap with a really similar pattern lol. Either way that looks like a ton of work!

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.
Well just built my first miniatures ever and primered them in too hot/humid weather. Now they look like they have sand on them. I have them spoaking in Easy Green unless there's something better to use.

AquaticIguana fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 21, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Vallejo primer and a brush?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Getting back to working on my Darkest Dungeon minis, finished up The Collector and the Grave Robber:

Wow, I love these. That Collector looks incredible.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

AquaticIguana posted:

Well just built my first miniatures ever and primered them in too hot/humid weather. Now they look like they have sand on them. I have them spoaking in Easy Green unless there's something better to use.

Same conditions here. It's humid as gently caress and I have minis to prime :(

I wish I had the space and cash for an airbrush setup with a spray booth.

Dunno about simple green nowadays, but LA's Totally Awesome has been recommended. I use a type of sticky greasy soap ("crystal soap", I think), that I slather on instead of dunking. The important part is that it needs to be alkaline to strip paint.

Next time, try scrubbing your minis with an old dry toothbrush, that can knock off most of the grit. If not, step up with some ethanol, see if that works. It may save you from having to strip and reprime.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 21, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
In my haste to get my models primed before it turned humid again, I managed to break the stupid stem off of the rattlecan and now my hands and arms are covered in white paint :negative:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I picked up a cheap makeup brush for drybrushing, and it seems I picked the best brand :orks101:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This is rad as hell - were you replicating a West African pattern on the robe or was that just a coincidence? My gf has a headwrap with a really similar pattern lol. Either way that looks like a ton of work!

Yes, I was! It's a Ghanaian cloth called kente, and I spent way too long researching it and trying to pick out an achievable pattern before I even started. It's not quite perfect because I couldn't achieve the stepped diagonals at that scale, but it's supposed to look like this

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Painted up my Gloomhaven guys. The Voidwarden (white/gold lady) was tricky but overall I'm happy with how they came out.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

More orks!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Lookin good! Love how your yellow turned out!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I really like the black lining around the teeth, I might have to start doing that.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

That is some clean work, especially the checkerboard

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Those look so great, you nailed the yellow.

Just one thing, remember to scrape off those mold lines :)

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I live in an apartment in a pretty dense building without outdoor accommodations, and by the time I'll have time to start batch painting an army it will definitely be pretty cold, so I'm thinking I might as well use a brush-on primer. From what I've been reading, and the fact that the brand that I've seen is just available in grey, it looks like brush-on primers generally don't provide a base color in the same way that a rattle can will. I imagine that will affect the painting strategies if I go that route.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vallejo brush-on/airbrush primer is available in black, white and grey, and with a bit of drybrushing you can do a pretty good zenithal highlight.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I prime everything with brush on Vallejo black, it's tedious but it works. Also it shows me which areas may be a pain in the rear end to get to with a brush.

I bought a pack of cheap synthetic brushes of various sizes and basically just thin the primer a little bit then slather it on with a large brush.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

You can get Stynylrez in a bunch of different colors.

https://usaairbrushsupply.com/products?keywords=Stynylrez

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Slightly related, I'm having a weird problem with basing I've never encountered before. My process:

* Zenithal airbrush stylenrez black, grey, and white
* Airbrush 1-2 Vallejo Air colors
* Brush on a wash

Sometimes while brushing on the wash, I'll "chip" off all of the paint and reveal the plastic underneath? I've never had this happen in the past when I used spray can primers. Do I need to wait longer between airbrushing and washing? I thought airbrush pretty much dries near-instantly. Or should I maybe just hit it with a second layer of the colors to "toughen" it up? 3-5 layers seems like it should be more than enough though :thunk:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Doesn't primer have to cure for a little bit before you can paint over it?

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Are you letting the airbrush primer set? That still takes some time to set so it can shrink to the plastic. I usually wait 24 hours between priming and applying paint.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

How long in between painting and washing? You may be reactivating the paint with the wash. Did you scrub the models of any mold release? I've had this problem on plastic before.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No I don't scrub them, I thought that was largely just for metal minis. I don't scrub my GW plastics.

I go pretty much as fast as I can - prime black with a little flow imporver, blast it with some air, empty the pot, mix up the grey + flow improver and put it on, hit it with some air from the airbrush, clean the pot, then hit it with some white ink (not stylenrez, I mispoke). Clean the pot, airbrush on some Vallejo Air colors, clean the pot, then pretty much just grab my brushes and dab on the wash.

I guess I gotta wait longer :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SiKboy posted:

That now completes my Pandora Crew (or at least the minis I have for her, they were part of a big mixed ebay lot. No poltergeist, which doesnt seem to come up on ebay on its own particularly often, but I'm keeping an eye out).

Quotin' myself, because guess what came up on ebay for a price I was willing to pay? Except the 1e metal poltergeist was intended to be on a 30mm base, under current malifaux rules it should be on a 50mm base (the more recent plastic model is way bigger). So, that means lots and lots of cork to fill out the base and give it some height hopefully without looking too obviously padded. Its pinned to the actual base through the cork, which is a frankly hilarious length of paperclip. Paint job was super simple (hexwraith flame, white drybrush. Did the tongue red just to have a third colour) but with the new term starting last week something simple was definitely the way to go.

And as I was on a roll I decided to do a lot of flames for the first time. Fire Golem was an ebay purchase that was painted orange when I got it, so I figured blending some yellows in the centre of the flame and reds on the end would be easy enough. It was, but painting the brazier bits was more painstaking than I though it was going to be. Base isnt done yet because I havent decided on a scheme for it. I'm probably going tobe a bit lazy and just buy a cobblestone base insert for it tbh.

Being on a roll with the fire I dug out a gremlin which had a flame effect on it, and their buddy. Decided to try going black and smokey on the ends of flames, am pleased with how that turned out. The rest of the models are pretty much all contrast paints. Popcorn Turner, and Cooper Jones.

And the only other tri-chi keyword models I have, the Whiskey Gamin, as there wasnt terribly much to them either. The photo makes one of them look like the gap on it is massive, its honestly not visible in person.