Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Galactus got killed (off-screen) in Immortal Hulk. He gets killed a lot, when I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Galactus got killed (off-screen) in Immortal Hulk. He gets killed a lot, when I think about it.

Isn't that the far flung future where Hulk is the only thing left?

He was also killed in another future and then his corpse shoved back in time in Fantastic Four (I think Millar's run, I only read the aftermath in Hickman's run, could have been an alternate dimension, not the future).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Isn't that the far flung future where Hulk is the only thing left?

Would that make Hulk the new Galactus for the next universe?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Edge & Christian posted:

I'd argue that Matt Fraction's run on Thor (that was concurrent to Kieron Gillen's Journey into Mystery) for most of the time was fair to middling, certainly not "legendary".

What you're mostly describing is "Jason Aaron wrote eight years of good Thor books, and now Donny Cates is writing less-good ones."

Even though it had a few kinda neat bits, Fraction's Thor was shockingly bad compared to everything else he's written. I especially cannot understand what he was thinking with the way he removed Donald Blake from the story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Immortal Hulk takes its title very literally.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, he was cagey when asked about it from what I recall. It's entirely possible that he, like unfortunately a lot of people, didn't read Future Foundation.

what does Future Foundation have to do with Squirrel Girl and one of her supporting characters? I don't recall either of them appearing in that book

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dawgstar posted:

No because he's Satan

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Barry Convex posted:

what does Future Foundation have to do with Squirrel Girl and one of her supporting characters? I don't recall either of them appearing in that book

They didnt, but Julie and Rikki got together in FF and due to North's previous handling of Doreen and Nancy and the fact that his power pack was announced when FF and Julie/Rikkis story hadn't even been a thing yet I doubt Rikki will show up

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

They didnt, but Julie and Rikki got together in FF and due to North's previous handling of Doreen and Nancy and the fact that his power pack was announced when FF and Julie/Rikkis story hadn't even been a thing yet I doubt Rikki will show up

ah, got it, thanks.

btw, interesting that there's a dark-skinned female Makkari design in that Eternals promo video. Yeah, film synergy and all, but I'm very curious to see where Gillen goes with this.

fyi, here's what he says about it in his newsletter today

Kieron Gillen posted:

It’s been a while. I just checked, and by the time Eternals 1 drops, it’ll be over five years since I took lead on a Marvel Superhero book (Siege, during Secret Wars, for the records). I took a break. I was burned out and wanted to do other stuff, mainly my own. What lured me back?

Partially as it has been five years. I’m not burned out any more. Planting clover for a while your superhero bit of your brain works. Plus, I’ve kind of been missing it a bit. Seeing old peers and people who came after me tear things up is a delight, and you do get an itch to get involved.

Secondly, and most importantly, it’s always the chance to do something different, something I haven’t done yet. As in, taking a set of characters who’ve been a way for a while, deconstructing their engine apart, and re-assembling it and unleashing it.

Thirdly, Esad Ribic. I’d said yes before Esad jumped aboard, but my yes changed to YES! the second he did. I expect some YES! yelping from you lot when you see more. It goes without saying it’s good to be working with Matt again, and he and Esad are just magical together. Clayton has yet to escape me, but I’m especially interested to see what he does with the lettering challenge of the book.

Clearly, there’s going to be a lot more chat about Eternals down the line. Here’s the quote I gave for the press-release…

"I said if I was ever to do a book again at Marvel, it would have to be something I've never done before. This is exactly that. This is me teaming up with literally my favourite artist of the epic, taking one of those lightning-storm Kirby visions and re-making it to be as new as the day it was forged,” Gillen said. “While Esad makes whole worlds on the page, I'm applying all the skills I've developed when I was away. It's a lot. It's everything. There's enough scale packed in here that I believe that when you look at the comic, you'll see the pages slightly bulge. Essentially 'Eternal' has to mean 'never going out of style,' which means we're aiming for 'instant classic.' Also -- fight scenes, horror, human drama, emotions, explosions. Comics!"

…which has me laughing at myself. People always ask me for quotes at the end of the day when my brain is fried and my resistance to my own nonsense is low.

Key facts: it’s a clean, accessible book. It’s set in the Marvel universe, and will impact it hard, but it’s also designed to be picked up by anyone and enjoyed. Plus it’s very much me trying to bring to bear the skillset I’ve developed when I’ve been away (especially from WicDiv and DIE) and a whole bunch of other things I’ve been chewing over, in terms of things one could do.

Suffice to say, a huge bible document is involved, as I can’t help myself. In this case, I really can’t. One of my things I’ve tried to be doing more with my work is to do the stuff only I would consider doing, and there’s a lot of that here. Issue 3 has something so offkilter I’m even giving myself side-eye.

I think you’ll like this. Out November. Speak to you retailer. More press soon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Wicked and The Divine was probably good practice for Eternals.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

The Wicked and The Divine was probably good practice for Eternals.

I didn’t even make that connection but yeah. I was pretty happy with Wicked and Divine so I’m down to see what he does with this.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gillen also mentions further on in the newsletter that he's doing some kind of historical research for Eternals #4. hope we get lots of flashbacks throughout the run

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I wonder if this was a condition of him getting to do the Warhammer books or a 'hey while you're here' thing.

Vvvvvv i double checked a few interviews and apparently it pretty much was; "I also suspect it's not a surprise to many people that I'm launching this. I'm told when it was mentioned they had the licence at the Marvel Summit, the room basically went "So Kieron, right?" My brand is remains my brand. "

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 20, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wonder if this was a condition of him getting to do the Warhammer books or a 'hey while you're here' thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if getting the Warhammer rights wasn't a ploy to lure him back.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Did that Al Ewing Masked Raider thing from Marvel 1000/Incoming ever get resolved, or did that fall into COVID limbo? I can’t remember the character appearing post-Incoming but my memory may be failing me

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

FoneBone posted:

Did that Al Ewing Masked Raider thing from Marvel 1000/Incoming ever get resolved, or did that fall into COVID limbo? I can’t remember the character appearing post-Incoming but my memory may be failing me

He's shown up in one other thing so far, pretty sure. I think he showed up in a couple of pages of Avengers, we still don't know what his actual deal is or what he's after.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 20, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So November's solicits are out.

Pretty hyped to see Vulpes' take on Taskmaster.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hyped to see Slott off Iron-Man, though of the two I'd rather see him off Fantastic Four.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yvonmukluk posted:

jesus christ you guys weren't kidding

VARIANT COVER BY ALEX ROSS
VARIANT COVER BY PEACH MOMOKO
VARIANT COVER BY ALAN DAVIS
VARIANT COVER BY ART ADAMS
VARIANT COVER BY MAHMUD ASRAR
VARIANT COVER BY JEN BARTEL
VARIANT COVER BY BOSSLOGIC
VARIANT COVER BY RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
VARIANT COVER BY DAVE JOHNSON
VARIANT COVER BY JEFF JOHNSON
VARIANT COVER BY MIKE DEL MUNDO
VARIANT COVER BY JENNY FRISON
VARIANT COVER BY RIAN GONZALES
VARIANT COVER BY INHYUK LEE
VARIANT COVER BY J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
HIDDEN GEM VARIANT COVER BY JOHN ROMITA, JR.
HIDDEN GEM VARIANT COVER BY JACK KIRBY HIDDEN GEM VARIANT COVER BY BRIAN PELLETIER
VARIANT COVER BY JOE QUESADA
VARIANT COVER BY KHARY RANDOLPH
DESIGN VARIANT COVER BY ESAD RIBIC
LAUNCH VARIANT COVER BY HUMBERTO RAMOS
PREMIERE VARIANT COVER BY ESAD RIBIC
VARIANT COVER BY WALT SIMONSON
VARIANT COVER BY RON LIM
VARIANT COVER BY OTTO SCHMIDT
VARIANT COVER BY SUPERLOG
HEADSHOT VARIANT COVER BY TODD NAUCK
VARIANT COVER BY GREG LAND VARIANT COVER BY TAKASHI OKAZAKI
VARIANT COVER BY DAN PANOSIAN
VARIANT COVER BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
VARIANT COVER BY LEINIL FRANCIS YU
VARIANT COVER BY FRANK CHO
BLANK VARIANT COVER AND KIRBY CRACKLE VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
NEVER DIE. NEVER WIN. ETERNALS.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

also holy poo poo this looks awesome

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

If your book has more than two covers it reeks of desperation. It is crazy how badly that poison is in the industry now.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Yvonmukluk posted:

Here's a preview I put up for those long-suffering Taskfans back when it got delayed in March-
https://twitter.com/jedmackay/status/1245127980499832837?s=07&fbclid=IwAR1HVcbcKRKrCQRUvDole1nu9OjDeefsIT6Gn7eei4xjfEe40zlUYkVbAUs

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Gripweed posted:

also holy poo poo this looks awesome

ah i do love me some Stokoe art, too bad it's just the cover

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I like some of Cates ' work (I even thought his brief GOTG run was quite fun) but I have to agree about Thor. The art is nice but the story and dialogue are tiresome. I hope this doesn't drag on too long.

Meanwhile, I'm reading through a lot of 2000's era Marvel I missed out on, and while the overall arc of Civil War/World War Hulk/Secret Invasion/Dark Reign/Siege seems cool in the abstract if you squint a bit, and there is no doubt some great stuff in there, the actual meat of it is pretty lackluster. I was shocked by how terrible Disassembled is, and the thread of sexism in it seems to surface in a lot of other moments for Bendis.

His Daredevil was really good, but I'm kinda baffled at how he became the main architect for Marvel of that period. A lot of his more conventional superhero comics are full of glib contempt for the genre, weird pacing, anti-climaxes, giving a feeling that he's bored. Honestly he seems best suited for crime stories and comedy. So the sort of "spine" or through-line of that era is cool in theory but really kind of weak when you look at it too closely.

I only got back into Marvel around the time of Hickman's lead up to Secret Wars and I like 2015-now Marvel overall a lot better than the 2000's.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

I like some of Cates ' work (I even thought his brief GOTG run was quite fun) but I have to agree about Thor. The art is nice but the story and dialogue are tiresome. I hope this doesn't drag on too long.

Meanwhile, I'm reading through a lot of 2000's era Marvel I missed out on, and while the overall arc of Civil War/World War Hulk/Secret Invasion/Dark Reign/Siege seems cool in the abstract if you squint a bit, and there is no doubt some great stuff in there, the actual meat of it is pretty lackluster. I was shocked by how terrible Disassembled is, and the thread of sexism in it seems to surface in a lot of other moments for Bendis.

His Daredevil was really good, but I'm kinda baffled at how he became the main architect for Marvel of that period. A lot of his more conventional superhero comics are full of glib contempt for the genre, weird pacing, anti-climaxes, giving a feeling that he's bored. Honestly he seems best suited for crime stories and comedy. So the sort of "spine" or through-line of that era is cool in theory but really kind of weak when you look at it too closely.

I only got back into Marvel around the time of Hickman's lead up to Secret Wars and I like 2015-now Marvel overall a lot better than the 2000's.

I doubt he was the first person to suggest it, but he was the first person to put Spider-Man and Wolverine on The Avengers, and shock of shocks, putting the two most popular superheroes on a super team together for the first time ever was hugely popular (they had team-ups before then, but nothing longform).

Like, people (rightfully) talk about how great Morrison's JLA is, now imagine if that was the first time Batman and Superman worked together for an extended period of time.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 21, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bendis writes a good Spider-Man and putting him on the Avengers and making them more of a street level team was enough of a great concept to carry it for a while.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You should’ve seen how nuts Wolverine and Spider-Man being on the team made some people. It was a large departure from what was considered the norm for Avengers books. It felt cool and fresh in the moment, but dragged on much longer than it should have.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I liked New Avengers a ton at first, until I realized every character was just Spider-Man. His team books always struggle with having characters that feel different. It is weird because his solo books are usually so much better. Jessica Jones holds up, and the vast majority of Ultimate Spider-Man does too.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Right, I completely agree that he writes a good Spidey (especially from the humour point of view as I was saying). The team being more street-level and having the most popular characters on it are all good ideas, I just feel like he could have done a lot more with them.

Now that I've finished that era, the Heroic Age stuff seems less tightly interconnected. What are the best titles from that period that I should be checking out? Roughly 2010-2015 does seem to be its own distinct chunk.

Oh, another thing I wanted to mention about my reading of 2000's Marvel is the way it reflects 9/11 and the War on Terror. At times I was pretty uncomfortable with it tbh. Siege is like a weird capper on the Bush 2 era, almost a retroactive condemnation of the Iraq War, which is weird because in much of that era many of the heroes seem to be active participants in the WoT. So it was all rah-rah let's fight terrorists, until it wasn't.

And then it ends with Obama taking office and everything is ok again! You can see this in Brubaker's Cap run (which to be clear I think is great so far), where a lot of is about corporations run amok, and then after Obama is elected, and after Steve is back, the bad guys are Tea Party types (being led by the insane 50's Cap) and now the bad guys are "anti-government".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

Right, I completely agree that he writes a good Spidey (especially from the humour point of view as I was saying). The team being more street-level and having the most popular characters on it are all good ideas, I just feel like he could have done a lot more with them.

Now that I've finished that era, the Heroic Age stuff seems less tightly interconnected. What are the best titles from that period that I should be checking out? Roughly 2010-2015 does seem to be its own distinct chunk.

Oh, another thing I wanted to mention about my reading of 2000's Marvel is the way it reflects 9/11 and the War on Terror. At times I was pretty uncomfortable with it tbh. Siege is like a weird capper on the Bush 2 era, almost a retroactive condemnation of the Iraq War, which is weird because in much of that era many of the heroes seem to be active participants in the WoT. So it was all rah-rah let's fight terrorists, until it wasn't.

And then it ends with Obama taking office and everything is ok again! You can see this in Brubaker's Cap run (which to be clear I think is great so far), where a lot of is about corporations run amok, and then after Obama is elected, and after Steve is back, the bad guys are Tea Party types (being led by the insane 50's Cap) and now the bad guys are "anti-government".

Did you read the Captain America that precedes Brubaker? If you want an American flashback to the early post 9/11 days that's it with a bullet. First issue is him helping clean up the 9/11 rubble (I think the sliding timeline means he's thawed after 9/11 now, but here he's definitely been around for a few years before it happened) then saving a Brooklyn born Arab guy from a racist who blames him for his daughter dying in 9/11 and the Arab guy wants to let him go because he feels bad about the daughter.

Then off to Kandahar to capture "not Osama Bin Laden."

Came out April 2002 but it's John Cassaday on art so it could have been written within a month of 9/11 for all we know.

It's actually pretty decent for the first arc or so at least, but so much a product of it's time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ridley was very open in interviews that it was a reaction to 9/11. Their original pitch was yet another Red Skull story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Ridley was very open in interviews that it was a reaction to 9/11. Their original pitch was yet another Red Skull story.

Oh god, can you imagine spending all of August 2001 on making the perfect Captain America pitch because you want to be extra prepared for a meeting about it in mid September.

Or even worse, you knock that meeting out of the park on September 7th or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was at the panel in Chicago when he discussed it, they were done with 2 issues when 9/11 happened and Marvel let them change gears and go in the new direction. I believe Cassaday has shown most of the art and repurposed much of it as cover art.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The constitution of Bendis' Avengers team is super interesting (and bizarre). You never got Thor, you never got Hulk (any iteration thereof), you never got Black Panther and virtually no magic based stuff (on the protagonists' side). What you got was an absolute ton of Spidey, Logan, Luke Cage and Spider-Woman. There was great banter between the first three (and occasionally Jessica got in on that too). There was a weird fixation on certain villains (Ultron and Madam Masque stand out). There was a ... varied handling of female characters (Jessica, Wanda ... Ultron, Madam Masque). And then there was the Sentry. Books could be written on how Bendis handled all of this.

And if I remember correctly, he also had this bizarre hyper-focused contempt for Tigra.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nilbop posted:

The constitution of Bendis' Avengers team is super interesting (and bizarre). You never got Thor, you never got Hulk (any iteration thereof), you never got Black Panther and virtually no magic based stuff (on the protagonists' side). What you got was an absolute ton of Spidey, Logan, Luke Cage and Spider-Woman. There was great banter between the first three (and occasionally Jessica got in on that too). There was a weird fixation on certain villains (Ultron and Madam Masque stand out). There was a ... varied handling of female characters (Jessica, Wanda ... Ultron, Madam Masque). And then there was the Sentry. Books could be written on how Bendis handled all of this.

And if I remember correctly, he also had this bizarre hyper-focused contempt for Tigra.

You got Dr Strange immediately after Civil War, so there was some magic based stuff.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
You get a fair bit of Thor and the magic stuff after Siege, but I always felt like a lot of that stuff was Bendis trying deny his worst instinct’s a bit.

I think a bigger issue for Bendis is that on team based books he’s good for about eight issues, then he starts to drop off sharply.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I would like to read a 616 Bendis Fantastic Four book, even if he really did Reed dirty the Ultimate universe.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'll give Bendis this - I did not care at all about the Avengers before he got them, and I did after he left. Disassembled (alongside Avengers/JLA) was what got me into comics and even if it is an event rife with problems I don't think many would disagree that it had to be done. I got a bunch of pre-Disassembled books after the fact (mostly Busiek and guys like Austen) and to say it was a mixed bag was an understatement; working backwards from Spidey and Logan to guys like Triathlon and Jack of Hearts (and even Wasp) and characters whose design hadn't been changed since the 60s was beyond jarring. It was an evolve or die moment.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

nemesis_hub posted:

If you haven't yet, check out Madrox(a six issue mini) and X-Factor(2005). It's street level Xmen dealing with fallout from Decimation.

Skwirl posted:

I would like to read a 616 Bendis Fantastic Four book, even if he really did Reed dirty the Ultimate universe.

Wasn't it Hickman that turned Reed into The Maker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nilbop posted:

Most people have had a contempt for Tigra. Byrne gave her the brain of an actual cat and had he chasing birds around the West Coast Avengers compound. The closest she's come to a good arc is being one of the teachers at Avengers Academy which was miles better than anything before. (I wish she'd stuck around in Thomspon's WCA, but then I wish that book stuck around in general.)