Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Does anyone else own the honeycomb yoke. The hat switch is acting a bit wacky when I look left and right in my plane. Anyone else having issues at all with that specific component?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Qubee posted:

OnAir is great but I wish they'd fix the time thing, I'm currently flying in pitch black and can't even enjoy the view cause whenever I adjust the time ingame, it stops tracking me on the app, and I don't know if I'll miss out on xp / rewards / whatever if I just fly in daylight and then track when I'm close to my destination.

In your settings for OnAir there is a "UTC Offset". This will allow you to offset where you are in relation to real-time, which will allow you to play during the day at night, etc. Only caveat is you can't have any live flights going when you adjust it.

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Qubee posted:

I figured out how to fight the autopilot back into submission, it can sometimes go haywire with the trim and turning it off and on again doesn't fix the issue as the trim is still set to extremes. I disengage autopilot, control the airplane with the joystick to keep it level, and quick adjust trim to takeoff level, then hit alt hold and engage autopilot and that fixes it, with a tiny bit of babysitting. Without doing this, it'll keep sending you into stalls.

OnAir is great but I wish they'd fix the time thing, I'm currently flying in pitch black and can't even enjoy the view cause whenever I adjust the time ingame, it stops tracking me on the app, and I don't know if I'll miss out on xp / rewards / whatever if I just fly in daylight and then track when I'm close to my destination.

In the OnAir client options you can adjust the UTC offset to whatever you need to fly in daytime.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sapozhnik posted:

Man I'm beating the crap out of this poor Cessna 172 trying to get it to spin but all it's doing is a regular plunging stall. Wasn't there a video of somebody practicing spin recovery in an early build?

Do I need to command absolute maximum elevator up to induce a spin because I had to turn my gamepad's axis sensitivity way down and that's the only thing I can think of doing. I'm pulling back and slamming on the rudder right as the airspeed drops off the bottom of the green tape.

If you can stall the plane, you have enough elevator control. You need to use ailerons to get a stall-spin going - once you're in the stall, try going for a full right roll.

(Right roll because that will increase the AoA of your left wing, causing it to stall even worse and putting you into a spin).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Qubee posted:

Just did my first OnAir mission from Dublin to Wales, night flight. It was so fun, especially knowing it was for an objective. 10/10, would recommend it to other people who love FS but don't like mindlessly flying just for the sake of it. Gives you something to work towards. My G1000 kept bleeping and showing a yellow M towards the end of the flight though, not sure why. Also, over the Celtic sea, I had crosswinds that genuinely smashed into my plane and caused me to slam 10-15 degrees to the left. I thought something had exploded, then checked the crosswinds on my nav and figured it must have been a powerful gust, is that right or was it a bug? I thought I'd run into an invisible wall / collidable object.

That's the OMI saying if you are on Outside, middle or Inside of the runway.

My other G1000 question
For ILS with the G1000, I'm tuned into the ILS how do I get the glidepath to show I keep coming in steep and hot because i"m use to it showing up on the FD, instead if just gives me my set altitude.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

Man I'm beating the crap out of this poor Cessna 172 trying to get it to spin but all it's doing is a regular plunging stall. Wasn't there a video of somebody practicing spin recovery in an early build?

Do I need to command absolute maximum elevator up to induce a spin because I had to turn my gamepad's axis sensitivity way down and that's the only thing I can think of doing. I'm pulling back and slamming on the rudder right as the airspeed drops off the bottom of the green tape.

Reduce to minimum power, pull the nose nice and high, and stomp on the rudder, yeah. That ought to do it.

e: works fine for me. Try to be uncoordinated (in a skid, ideally) -- the spin comes from being in poor coordination. In a real C152/172, just releasing the controls will break the spin if it's less than about 1.5 turns, while letting it continue past that point will develop it fully and you'll need to actively recover. That is fairly accurately modeled too. So hold the rudder until you really start rotating.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cool. I restarted my computer and now the game refuses to load. Opens up a black screen and just stalls there.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Just had the tower tell me to go around because a human player in a Caravan was taking their sweet rear end time to actually take off, then on my second attempt it told a real life flight that was ready to line up to hold short for me. It's far from perfect, but it's orders of magnitude better than FSX or XP 11's ATC.

Also I guess that answers the question of whether the game will change what real life flights are doing based on what's happening in game.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

tater_salad posted:

That's the OMI saying if you are on Outside, middle or Inside of the runway.

To add... It's ILS letting you know how far from the runway you are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marker_beacon

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ahh yes that's its purpose.. I had it confused with left right center of runway not distance.

I asked this in discord and the answer is probably not in this jank g1000

Anyone know the procedure in Msfs g1000 to go the next waypoint in a landing pattern?

I tried to select it and pressed menu > activate leg and it did nothing. I wanted to do a short jump to an airport 10 NM North and the approach started 10nm South so i really didn't want to fly South 10 NM just to do a turn and go 20nm North.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 21, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I just arrived at my destination but I can't press any buttons in the cockpit, and I've tried everything. So AP is stuck on and I can't get it to quit fighting me. Uh oh.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

so are we making the collective decision to use onair vs fse? does onair allow multiple pilots to work under a single virtual airline? does fse? isn't that something we want?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Qubee posted:

Adjust this option:

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

Nietzsche posted:

Click Sensitivity on the left of the control bindings window, scroll down to the axis it's using (I think mine is something like Joystick Slider Axis X or something, doublecheck by seeing what's bound to Elevator Trim), and set the sensitivity to something like -60%. That's what mine's at, and even that seems a bit touchy, so it might need some more tweaking.

relatedly, i was curious about this too: i have a thrustmaster as well and the stick controls seem kind of touchy, but i've obviously never flown a plane nor have i played a flight sim with this before. do you experienced folks have the regular x/y axes on these things set to their default settings or would it be better to tweak anything related to that? i'm not sure what's realistic or just the game's controls being insane because it seems like it's all over the place when it comes to controls and settings lol. i already cranked both the rudder and trim sensitivity way down

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Qubee posted:

I just arrived at my destination but I can't press any buttons in the cockpit, and I've tried everything. So AP is stuck on and I can't get it to quit fighting me. Uh oh.

If you have a window like ATC, nav log, or VFR map open, resize it. If it's broken out in a separate window close it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

uvar posted:

Maybe I'm going crazy but do these screenshots look washed out to anyone else? Somebody else earlier posted a similar bunch that all seemed a bit faded and grey too.

I'm guessing the OP is using HDR and that's what's causing screenshots to look like that, but just an educated guess.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

fuf posted:

I thought this too at first but the middle option is actually something like "all players" and enables multiplayer but still lets you change the time and weather.

It's only the left side "live players" option which restricts you to live time / weather.

AHA !

Thank you !

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sudo rm -rf posted:

so are we making the collective decision to use onair vs fse? does onair allow multiple pilots to work under a single virtual airline? does fse? isn't that something we want?

Once I get my poo poo in order I'd like to merc and do freelance work for goon businesses.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

To be honest, and it is absolutely petty, but the more modern interface and application that is OnAir makes me not want to use FSE. It's just enough flashy poo poo in my eyes to make me ignore the fact its just third party numbers going up.

Even though it just ate my tutorial flight, the loving thing.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

To be honest, and it is absolutely petty, but the more modern interface and application that is OnAir makes me not want to use FSE. It's just enough flashy poo poo in my eyes to make me ignore the fact its just third party numbers going up.

Even though it just ate my tutorial flight, the loving thing.

Not petty, FSE is just relentlessly awful. Even signing up is such a slog, just to be greeted by generated UI and 11+ year-old databases of aircraft and airports. I look forward to giving OnAir a shot once they work out some of the issues in FS2020, and maybe we get some good 3rd party planes.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

cmpterjones posted:

Not petty, FSE is just relentlessly awful. Even signing up is such a slog, just to be greeted by generated UI and 11+ year-old databases of aircraft and airports. I look forward to giving OnAir a shot once they work out some of the issues in FS2020, and maybe we get some good 3rd party planes.

I’m glad that my suspicion of “I don’t want to deal with this interface” wasn’t just true of the surface/visual level.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Touched down in the TBM after a 2 hour flight, finished the roll out, changed lights to taxi, turned off pulse....and it CTD's. :v:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ive surprisingly not had a single crash over 20 hours already, probably jinxing myself

game crash that is...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Theris posted:

Just had the tower tell me to go around because a human player in a Caravan was taking their sweet rear end time to actually take off, then on my second attempt it told a real life flight that was ready to line up to hold short for me. It's far from perfect, but it's orders of magnitude better than FSX or XP 11's ATC.

Also I guess that answers the question of whether the game will change what real life flights are doing based on what's happening in game.

The RL traffic will sometimes take off through you (it just turns transparent) and it'll just tell them "you were not authorized for takeoff".

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Landing this X-Cub on the Burj Al Arab helipad is my new challenge. I can touch and go all day, gotta stick it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FunOne posted:

Landing this X-Cub on the Burj Al Arab helipad is my new challenge. I can touch and go all day, gotta stick it.

The Savage Xtreme Turbo Cub (whatever Gen-Xtreme name it's called) in insane with full flaps. It'll just kind of float off the ground. I still haven't figured out if the turbo button does anything.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

sudo rm -rf posted:

Right now in OnAir, there are some jobs that have multiple "legs", and under partnerships goons could each run a leg to do the job cooperatively. Goons can also outsource jobs to other goon partners. Each goon is independent though.

FAKE EDIT: Oh poo poo, there ARE actual virtual airlines on the Thunder World, but from what I understand, AI pilots are also disabled on that world. I've been using AI pilots to great effect during my work hours. So that's sort of a lovely decision.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Having a hard time deciding where to start my home base in OpenAir.

Leaning towards Columbia and act like I'm smuggling drugs along with my legal cargo...maybe slowly take my Cessna up to the Bahamas.

Anyone know if all airports generate missions? What if I wanna play as the CIA in Afghanistan, are all the small airports there going to have enough jobs for me to survive?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm not understanding work orders, after reading the manual. I am making some longhaul flights while I sleep, so I'm taking pallets from England > Italy, and then bringing Food from Italy > England. It keeps telling me to set alternative airports but I don't want the AI landing at a random airport and causing me to miss taking these loads and just flying empty.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Arsonide posted:

Right now in OnAir, there are some jobs that have multiple "legs", and under partnerships goons could each run a leg to do the job cooperatively. Goons can also outsource jobs to other goon partners. Each goon is independent though.

FAKE EDIT: Oh poo poo, there ARE actual virtual airlines on the Thunder World, but from what I understand, AI pilots are also disabled on that world. I've been using AI pilots to great effect during my work hours. So that's sort of a lovely decision.

I only vaguely understand what you're talking about here but I can say with confidence that this is almost certainly grognards fault.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone landed a 747 or dreamliner on the Burj Al Arab yet?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Somebody on Reddit found where the FSX DX10 mockup was set

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Arsonide posted:

This is my poo poo

Let’s get a goon VA going

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can we get an OnAir Goon Discord going? Or shove a channel in the AirGoons Discord. AirGoons is just insanely busy though, and there's only 11 of us currently which would make for a cozy spot to hangout and organize runs together.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Elendil004 posted:

Is it possible to tweak what shows on the exterior view? I would like an attitude bubble because I'm constantly pitching up and down and the AOA doesn't seem to do it with enough granularity.

Sorry for re quoting this, still seeking an answer.

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

NJersey posted:

Having a hard time deciding where to start my home base in OpenAir.

Leaning towards Columbia and act like I'm smuggling drugs along with my legal cargo...maybe slowly take my Cessna up to the Bahamas.

Anyone know if all airports generate missions? What if I wanna play as the CIA in Afghanistan, are all the small airports there going to have enough jobs for me to survive?

There is a checkbox in options called small airports that will enable missions for them. Although, since I turned it on I'm constantly being sent to farm strips

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Dineren posted:

There is a checkbox in options called small airports that will enable missions for them. Although, since I turned it on I'm constantly being sent to farm strips

Ohh, ok thanks thats good to know. Perfect.

Do we have a OpenAir thread?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elendil004 posted:

Sorry for re quoting this, still seeking an answer.

If you're in a glass cockpit plane, you could right-ALT click on the display and pop it out. :shrug:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My controller bindings and sensitivity settings keep resetting when I close and restart the game. They were working fine yesterday. :negative:

Also if you're playing with a controller, I've found it's 100 times easier if you control the throttle with your mouse. Much smoother flights now that I can dial in exactly what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Folks, I hosed up. I started an OnAir trial and futzed around with how poo poo work and I'm now halfway through the tutorial flight

This poo poo? This poo poo loving OWNS. Flying at night paying attention to the instruments, cruising while fudging with various buttons, all while the app tracks my flight in real time? God drat this poo poo is dangerous.