Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

All my skins come from chests and orbs except Pizza Delivery Sivir which I had to have immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

who the gently caress buys skins, everytime I think about doing so I remember that DJ Sona costs the local equivalent of a moderately priced used PS4 game and I wince and close the store tab

It's a whale-reliant system, like pretty much any f2p monetization. Most people buy 0 skins, then I know one person who absolutely loves Xayah and has bought every Xayah skin in the game.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

who the gently caress buys skins, everytime I think about doing so I remember that DJ Sona costs the local equivalent of a moderately priced used PS4 game and I wince and close the store tab

You get the really good ones you want when they are on sale. The really expensive ones are for getting from random skin shards or orbs.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's a whale-reliant system, like pretty much any f2p monetization. Most people buy 0 skins, then I know one person who absolutely loves Xayah and has bought every Xayah skin in the game.

When i decided to main Jhin and then Ashe, both times I didnt like their OG skins (ashe especially, terrible), and since I was going to be committing to 100+ games on them I waited for one of their skins to show up in the my store or the weekly sale and bought them.

I've been really lucky to also get alot of ADC skins from chests/orbs/combinations.

Everyone needs to realize, skins are cool. It would obviously be awesome to get the skins for free/play rewards, and you can sometimes get lucky.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 21, 2020

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Aerox posted:

I just miss the days when League skins really stood for something, you know?

this breaks cannon, the big rolling golem isn't supposed to gather that stuff

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Man there's a shitload of things to complain about when it comes to Riot Games, but "they just use too much loving data and metrics to make decisions about balancing" seems like a really baffling hill to die on.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

strong bird posted:

*furrowing brow* i just cant understand why they make skins that sell really well for champions that are picked often instead of skins for champions who nobody plays

people really championed urgot because he didnt get a skin for a long time and they have made some really good urgot skins and, well, you never see them

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

rabidsquid posted:

people really championed urgot because he didnt get a skin for a long time and they have made some really good urgot skins and, well, you never see them

every so often the rare top lane urgot main will grace your solo queue lobby and lock in that pajama guardian urgot

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I paid $35 for Elementalist Lux on release, and I'd happily do so again. :colbert:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Guess true damage didn’t get the buys they wanted. Gotta stick with the hot girl skins.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Guess true damage didn’t get the buys they wanted. Gotta stick with the hot girl skins.

I'm sure it sold well - consider how many skins Senna already has, and I can't remember the last time I saw an Ekko without the TD skin - but I'd bet my life that K/DA was their best selling skin line ever. Can't really blame them for wanting to replicate that.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

they added discord groomer urgot skin and now thats the only one i ever see

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I have literally never seen Qiyana without her true damage skin on.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

high noon urgot is a super great skin

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I started playing Urgot because he got the Pajama Guardian skin and I wanted to prove that one Rioter who said stuff like 'we probably wont' make star guardian urgot because the last time we made a meme skin real it sold terribly' wrong.

And also I have bought every Star Guardian skin except for Zoe's and the pajama guardian ones.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Coca Koala posted:

Man there's a shitload of things to complain about when it comes to Riot Games, but "they just use too much loving data and metrics to make decisions about balancing" seems like a really baffling hill to die on.
You're quite right that there's a decade of garbage to pick over if someone wanted to be tedious.

I had a quick laugh at the expense of a blatant cash grab by Riot while their design team continues to flounder. What hill am I supposed to be dying on?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

because skin design - game design is a completely made up slider that doesn't exist anywhere except for in the minds of people who have made up a very silly scenario where those two things are related.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I like the crab one because he is a crab and I like crabs

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They always say they make the skins for the champions that sell so they can make skins for the champions that don’t really get new skins. I wish they’d embrace that more.

Malah
May 18, 2015

rabidsquid posted:

because skin design - game design is a completely made up slider that doesn't exist anywhere except for in the minds of people who have made up a very silly scenario where those two things are related.
If that's your takeaway then there's not really anything else to say, I guess? Whatever slider nonsense youre referring to here doesn't matter, it's basic pattern recognition. More skins good, let gameplay experience continue to rot away while Riot dangles shiny cosmetics and new seasonal gimmicks to bring in new customers. :shrug:

It's not hard to see how their priorities have shifted in various directions over the past decade. This isn't the worst they've been, but I'm sure as hell going to still laugh at them, for this specific thing. It's not that deep.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i guess i lack basic pattern recognition, so explain to me in what way designing skins interferes with game design and balance

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

high noon urgot is a super great skin

Yes. I have all of urgots skins but that one is my favorite. It used to be Crabgot when it was B movie crabman, I'm still a little angry that they just completely changed the skin concept with the rework.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Malah posted:

If that's your takeaway then there's not really anything else to say, I guess? Whatever slider nonsense youre referring to here doesn't matter, it's basic pattern recognition. More skins good, let gameplay experience continue to rot away while Riot dangles shiny cosmetics and new seasonal gimmicks to bring in new customers. :shrug:

It's not hard to see how their priorities have shifted in various directions over the past decade. This isn't the worst they've been, but I'm sure as hell going to still laugh at them, for this specific thing. It's not that deep.

Artists don't work on game design or balance.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Old Crabgot was the best skin in the game bar none.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

i think we should let the artists continue to ruin league of legends because ahri is cute and when she is not wearing a cute skin we should all be asking "where is ahri's cute skin"

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

If artists influenced game balance than Scuba Gragas would be the most op champion in the game.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Extra Tasty posted:

i think we should let the artists continue to ruin league of legends because ahri is cute and when she is not wearing a cute skin we should all be asking "where is ahri's cute skin"

This

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've always found Urgot to be one of the characters where the default skin is best. There aren't a ton like that but there are a handful.

Monsters and robots are objectively the coolest characters but unfortunately they don't pay the bills.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Malah posted:

Your take is a great if Riot was a charity. How is making more money interfering with their game balance? At what point was making money not their priority?

In fact the game has never been better. Every single role has impact, they rebalance items/roles every few seasons and they tend to be big changes that change the game. I been playing since season 3 and some of the roles were unplayable in those seasons. The game was the same for 2-3 years. These days every season a role gets a overhaul to make it more modern and they even do big overall game changes more often.

I don't think all their changes are good but it keeps the game fresh. Also it makes so that even older players have to relearn the game with newer player which I love to see. Many older online games that are balanced and are not subject to major overhauls, it's very hard to break into because it's all people have been playing their whole lives.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've always found Urgot to be one of the characters where the default skin is best. There aren't a ton like that but there are a handful.

Monsters and robots are objectively the coolest characters but unfortunately they don't pay the bills.

Cassiopeia has never had a skin even close to as good as her base skin, imo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah she's definitely in that group for sure.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rygar201 posted:

Spirit Blossom just came out.

Also we should acknowledge that every Taric skin has him tiddies out as god intended.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I like greek cassio with the hosed up splash art c:

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

I like Eternum Cass, and imo it's one of the few newer skins where the splash art doesn't really do it justice.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The best splash art is classic Trundle.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Idk man, Stern Stare Leona is good. And "I yell at metal" Jarvan deserves honorable mention.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
for a recent example, they inexplicably buffed shen and now they're releasing a skin that's 100x as cool as any shen skin ever. it's probably a coincidence but i definitely see where it gets peoples wheels turning

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Groovelord Neato posted:

aurelion sol base skin is amazing and his first skin was like, a brown dragon and absolutely terrible.

Spokes posted:

for a recent example, they inexplicably buffed shen and now they're releasing a skin that's 100x as cool as any shen skin ever. it's probably a coincidence but i definitely see where it gets peoples wheels turning

this is an old conspiracy that has been disproven, people on reddit have like actual graphs showing nerfs and buffs related to skins and get this. champs don't get buffs related to skins, and never have. eve has a prestige skin and hasn't been buffed in how long? teemo? come on man. shen got a buff for pro play.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I will just say Kha'zix got a really odd big buff bringing him from A+ tier to S+++ tier right around the time his victorious skin was coming out that I always found baffling.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Looking back at release schedules, almost every champ from 2015 up to current have solid base appearances. Stuff like Kayn, Ivern, Ekko, Aphelios, Pyke, Sett, Senna and Tahm Kench all look really good as is. If I had to pick, Tahm and Ivern in particular have had a couple of skins come out but I still prefer their base looks.

What's some champs that you pick up a skin for them because you don't like the base appearance? Or just that you don't like the base appearance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

All of the champions I play a lot because I like being a special snowflake. All the ninjas need a skin because they are super generic. Even the new ninja Yone is super generic.