Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've got the basic Zircon one from like 10 years ago. It mostly works, you just have to come in from each side to find the edges of the stud. I also do it at different heights up and down the wall to confirm. Then the stud is usually somewhere in the middle. There are some conditions where it doesn't work, or weird poo poo inside the wall makes things confusing. It's more of a stud guestimator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The horizontal stud finders with the 10 or so lights across them are a gift from God. I got a cheap one from Costco and it's never led me wrong. I assume they're all about the same.

I think it's this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07564RSHR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8KupFbDNE29FB

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

street doc posted:

Anyone have recommendations for scaffold companies/product lines? I have a lot of high work outdoors to do, and don’t like ladders. Need 3 story tall system, at least two towers.

I've spent plenty of time on the Harbor Freight scaffolds at that height, they get the job done. Make sure you level and set the outrigers and no major issues.
Better to hit craigslist and find someone getting rid of real gear though.
But first, I'd check into renting if you don't need it long term.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've had repeated bad luck with electronic stud finders at my house missing by an inch or two.

I picked up a magnetic one that finds the drywall screws, works every time.

Until you find a drywall screw that missed the stud or it finds something else in the wall (gas line for example).

All electronic are going to be iffy in some spots/walls. 5 tips; use electronic from both sides of stud and several times, know your standard spacing, know whats in the wall (plumbing/electrical), use a magnet, and a drywall poker.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've had good luck with magnetic stud finders, normally try and find a high/middle/low and then split the difference with a 4' level. Occasionally I'll have a miss, but generally I have good luck with this method.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

Can you recommend a stud finder for me? I want to spend around $30 for a Zircoin at Home Depot, but some of the reviews seem to indicate they don't work too good- and it's scaring me off a bit.

Bosch GMS120 is the only electronic one I've use that consistently works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GMS-12...ls%2C145&sr=1-1

It doesn't seem to get tripped up by plumbing or metals, and actually has a metal/electrical sensing mode to track those things.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

JEEVES420 posted:

Until you find a drywall screw that missed the stud or it finds something else in the wall (gas line for example).

The former is easily checked by running the magnet vertically from where you first find one - if the drywall isn't falling down then at least some of those screws had to hit the stud. The latter I've never had an issue with because I don't have gas service and all the water piping in the house is copper (and mostly run through the slab).

Finding studs here is always a pain in the rear end anyway because every single time I've needed to find two studs on the same wall, they are never where they should be relative to each other. Always between 16" and 24", but never any repeatable number. I've had to modify TV mounts and the like that expect to pick up studs on an even measurement.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Motronic posted:

Bosch GMS120 is the only electronic one I've use that consistently works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GMS-12...ls%2C145&sr=1-1

It doesn't seem to get tripped up by plumbing or metals, and actually has a metal/electrical sensing mode to track those things.

Ugh, this thread costs me so much money.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

IOwnCalculus posted:

The former is easily checked by running the magnet vertically from where you first find one - if the drywall isn't falling down then at least some of those screws had to hit the stud. The latter I've never had an issue with because I don't have gas service and all the water piping in the house is copper (and mostly run through the slab).

Finding studs here is always a pain in the rear end anyway because every single time I've needed to find two studs on the same wall, they are never where they should be relative to each other. Always between 16" and 24", but never any repeatable number. I've had to modify TV mounts and the like that expect to pick up studs on an even measurement.

We must of had the same builder. My house seems to have been "meh close enough" when it comes to spacing. 21" sure why not, 36"...was this a door?, from what I can tell they are for the most part "around" 16"-24". I ripped an unfinished sheet of drywall off the wall in my garage after about 30 minutes trying to find a stud :downs:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Ugh, this thread costs me so much money.

FYI, mine was a refurb that I found on eBay for like $30. That was quite a few years ago, but you may be able to find something cheaper than a new one.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Nobody just uses a light deadblow hammer and taps? The solid thunk is much different, unless you're in an older place with plaster and lath.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Mambold posted:

Nobody just uses a light deadblow hammer and taps? The solid thunk is much different, unless you're in an older place with plaster and lath.

Plaster and lathe over irregular balloon framing checking in. Combination of tapping, fancy HD zircon deep stud finder with the electrical alert, good old magnetic finder, and a bit of luck do it for me. If you find a good strip of lathe, the electric one does a pretty good job finding the deeper irregularity of a stud, and then I just go up and down to check for a consistent arrow over a vertical beam, and check the other side. Hasn’t failed me yet!

I can’t imagine how simple and easy drywall stud finding must be.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

All the time. Although, my Dad swears I use the deadblow for everything. (He's beginning to see the light after he borrowed a 3lb deadblow to work on his new retaining wall)

Edit: Which really gets me wondering, how many deadblows do most people here have. I've spent my entire life as a mechanic and carpenter, and brought a deadblow into every cabinet shop I've worked at (and been laughed at for it) along with a claw hammer.
I tend to keep a couple of 1lb, a 2 and 3lb and a 5 or 7lb. I used to have a 10lb sledge deadblow (I do need to pick up a new one), but I've lost track of it over the years. I assume other mechanics do similar, just like having a 20oz and 3lb ball peen.

Poisonlizard fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 20, 2020

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I have one of those hammers with the replaceable/interchanging heads between steel, copper, aluminium and some polymers but not a true deadblow

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

street doc posted:

Anyone have recommendations for scaffold companies/product lines? I have a lot of high work outdoors to do, and don’t like ladders. Need 3 story tall system, at least two towers.

Rent it unless you REALLY need it forever. The good poo poo is....really not cheap, and the cheap poo poo is at best asking to fall over.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Poisonlizard posted:

All the time. Although, my Dad swears I use the deadblow for everything. (He's beginning to see the light after he borrowed a 3lb deadblow to work on his new retaining wall)

Edit: Which really gets me wondering, how many deadblows do most people here have. I've spent my entire life as a mechanic and carpenter, and brought a deadblow into every cabinet shop I've worked at (and been laughed at for it) along with a claw hammer.
I tend to keep a couple of 1lb, a 2 and 3lb and a 5 or 7lb. I used to have a 10lb sledge deadblow (I do need to pick up a new one), but I've lost track of it over the years. I assume other mechanics do similar, just like having a 20oz and 3lb ball peen.

Trusty Cook has my info on file... https://trustycook.com/

They make amazing hammers, and there are some screaming deals on: https://deadblowhammerdeals.com/

Check GarageJournal for coupons, too. Currently blemx2 on deadblowhammerdeals will double your order for the same cost: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426495&showall=1 The #10 is available in Green!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Poisonlizard posted:

Lmao. My first take was he knocked a hole in the drywall so was literally seeing light. Then I realized you meant it metaphorically....or did you?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
My house is weird. It has plaster on rock lath, so all the walls are an inch thick. Stud finders are a suggestion. I gave up and just measured over from electrical boxes.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

My usual stud finding method is laying a flashlight down on the wall and sweeping the beam around until I spot the screw holes. Even filled in, you can still see them with a strong beam going across. And if your walls are sufficiently crappy, you can often even see the outline of the stud itself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

good jovi posted:

My usual stud finding method is laying a flashlight down on the wall and sweeping the beam around until I spot the screw holes. Even filled in, you can still see them with a strong beam going across.

That works right up until you encounter a properly finished wall.

(this mean it will almost always work)

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Friends, I am in the market for a benchtop drill press. Budget is up to $400.

I want to use it to drill straight holes in wood, aluminum, and thin steel. Throw doesn't need to be too long, just enough to get through the thin section of a 2x4. I plan to use up to 1.5" Forstner bits, but no 3" hole saws or anything of that nature. I intend to get a cross-slide vise to mount on the table as well. I'm not going to be doing any kind of high precision work so runout isn't super important to me. Just standard DIY repairs and projects.

I have been looking at the WEN drill presses you can get on Amazon, which have an appealing price but some of the feedback makes me nervous. Specifically the WEN 4210T (10", 5-speed), and the WEN 4214 (12", Variable speed). Some folks say they're underpowered or the motor can burn out easily. I am also skeptical of the variable drive option, as it doesn't appear that you can manually adjust the belt tension.

Am I being overly critical, or should I avoid those? Typically I just go with DeWalt brand tools, but they don't appear to sell a benchtop press. Any recommendations you have would be deeply appreciated.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

I've never had good luck with this method, especially when dealing with exterior walls that have insulation in them.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Anyone else watching the Milwaukee Pipeline new tool announcements?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Propagandist posted:

I want to use it to drill straight holes in wood, aluminum, and thin steel. Throw doesn't need to be too long, just enough to get through the thin section of a 2x4. I plan to use up to 1.5" Forstner bits, but no 3" hole saws or anything of that nature. I intend to get a cross-slide vise to mount on the table as well. I'm not going to be doing any kind of high precision work so runout isn't super important to me. Just standard DIY repairs and projects.

I have been looking at the WEN drill presses you can get on Amazon, which have an appealing price but some of the feedback makes me nervous. Specifically the WEN 4210T (10", 5-speed), and the WEN 4214 (12", Variable speed). Some folks say they're underpowered or the motor can burn out easily. I am also skeptical of the variable drive option, as it doesn't appear that you can manually adjust the belt tension.

Am I being overly critical, or should I avoid those? Typically I just go with DeWalt brand tools, but they don't appear to sell a benchtop press. Any recommendations you have would be deeply appreciated.

I have this one from Harbor Freight. Its not bad, obviously not the finest machine in the world but it has never failed to drill into things I want drilled:

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/drills-drivers/drill-presses/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
For what it's worth I have the below Shopfox 3/4 HP drill press and I've had issues running larger(1 1/4''+) forstner bits in harder wood, if you want to do forstner bits that big you're going to need to spend more or just accept that it won't be a smooth process, not to say you won't get it done, just expect it to be slow going and to result in burnt edges, possibly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DD1BE/ref=twister_B074G8L9FC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Holesaws are actually easier to run if you're working with thin work pieces since they're after all only cutting the edges of the hole, not the entire volume of it.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 21, 2020

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Thank you both for the great responses!

Elem7 posted:

For what it's worth I have the below Shopfox 3/4 HP drill press and I've had issues running larger(1 1/4''+) forstner bits in harder wood, if you want to do forstner bits that big you're going to need to spend more or just accept that it won't be a smooth process, not to say you won't get it done, just expect it to be slow going and to result in burnt edges, possibly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DD1BE/ref=twister_B074G8L9FC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Holesaws are actually easier to run if you're working with thin work pieces since they're after all only cutting the edges of the hole, not the entire volume of it.
Would you recommend the Shop Fox?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Propagandist posted:

Thank you both for the great responses!

I have the larger Shop Fox, which I assume has the same basic parts for the motor, chuck, etc., just more range of motion. I haven't ever used any other drill presses so I have no basis for comparison, but it works fine. I managed to break the depth stop by applying too much force to it; the part that actually stops your motion is a thin bit of cheap sheet metal and bends easily. But it wasn't too hard to fabricate a replacement out of a chunk of hardwood.

The one big issue I had, which I blame on my own lack of experience/foresight, is that they ship the drill press with both of the drive belts at max tension (they're adjustable to get different RPMs). You want to be careful about the order you de-tension them in; it's easy to do it wrong and get things kind of wedged, and then it's a real pain to fix.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Trusty Cook has my info on file... https://trustycook.com/

They make amazing hammers, and there are some screaming deals on: https://deadblowhammerdeals.com/

Check GarageJournal for coupons, too. Currently blemx2 on deadblowhammerdeals will double your order for the same cost: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426495&showall=1 The #10 is available in Green!

drat you, those look amazing and I think I need them all.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Lmao. My first take was he knocked a hole in the drywall so was literally seeing light. Then I realized you meant it metaphorically....or did you?

Lol, no that was metaphorical.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Propagandist posted:

Honestly I'm in the same boat as TooMuchAbstraction in that I haven't really used other drill presses before, that and the fact that the Shopfox is over your budget is why I didn't explicitly recommend it and instead relayed my experiencing using it as a 3/4 HP press. I will say the fact it can double as an oscillating sander is a big reason I chose it not its virtues as a basic drill press, something that doesn't seem relevant for you.

Only thing else I'll mention is that I didn't have the same issue with the belts being over tensioned, actually if anything I had the opposite problem in that changing speeds is no problem but I need to adjust the motor/tension to its near max to get it running smoothly.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Poisonlizard posted:

drat you, those look amazing and I think I need them all.
You can thank me later. The MinMax is awesome too. I use my teeny S0 all the time on the milling machine. I don't have any of their sledges, but that may change soon.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Rent it unless you REALLY need it forever. The good poo poo is....really not cheap, and the cheap poo poo is at best asking to fall over.

What is the good poo poo, because I am super slow at getting work done....and it’s a big project.

street doc fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 21, 2020

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've been meaning to get a deadblow for a long time, what's the best option if I only get one? I'll be using it for woodworking, around the house stuff, and some occasional car maintenance.

Looking at the Trusty Cook site, Model 1 or Model 2 seem like the most appropriate for general purpose?

kdabr
Feb 17, 2011

Propagandist posted:

I wanted to find a high quality benchtop press, but the only one I could find that I liked was the fancy Jet, and it's like $800.

I ended up buying a Delta 17-900 on craigslist for $250. I didn't originally want to commit so much floor space, but I've decided that if it ends up being too bulky, I'll just chop the column down to make it into a benchtop drill press

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm thinking of dipping my toe into the realm of quality tools and at the same time try to consolidate and organize. I basically have 2 places that needs to have tools, my apartment for smaller stuff like screwing together furniture, opening electronics etc etc and then the family house where the majority is at and is mostly car stuff at the moment.
Wera is a well liked quality brand if I've done my research correctly. I like the designs as well. Found this:
https://www.amazon.de/Wera-05135926...98085332&sr=8-1
I'm thinking this should cover most if not all of the apartment stuff. Seems like a good deal?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm thinking of dipping my toe into the realm of quality tools and at the same time try to consolidate and organize. I basically have 2 places that needs to have tools, my apartment for smaller stuff like screwing together furniture, opening electronics etc etc and then the family house where the majority is at and is mostly car stuff at the moment.
Wera is a well liked quality brand if I've done my research correctly. I like the designs as well. Found this:
I'm thinking this should cover most if not all of the apartment stuff. Seems like a good deal?

You might also want to get a crescent wrench and a pair of pliers. Also a hammer, your going to want to hang some pictures on the wall right?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Rutibex posted:

You might also want to get a crescent wrench and a pair of pliers. Also a hammer, your going to want to hang some pictures on the wall right?

Yeah true. Already got those. But maybe upgrading to some nice Knipex pliers and a good crescent wrench could be nice.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I've been meaning to get a deadblow for a long time, what's the best option if I only get one? I'll be using it for woodworking, around the house stuff, and some occasional car maintenance.

Looking at the Trusty Cook site, Model 1 or Model 2 seem like the most appropriate for general purpose?

Woodworking and car stuff don't combine well. The car one will be greasy and have dirt embedded in it in no time. That's why you need 2: one of each model. The slim line hammers are really nice for wood too, much smaller faces come in handy.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 22, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

Unless you really need the insulated screwdriver + blades, I would consider looking into their toolcheck plus for your apartment if I was going to buy a combo set from Wera.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Did not regret the 18v Fuel Hackzall

My Black and Decker 20v Hedge Trimmer is starting to smell like magic smoke though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Did not regret the 18v Fuel Hackzall

I'm still using my old rear end 18v dewalt sawzall for pruning. I'm REALLY tempted to get a hackzall.