Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the guy whos mad about racemixing watering down your bloodline is the villain tho

Like the point is 'yes if a bunch more japanese people had kids with foreigners thered be less pure japanese people, but who cares'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Arist posted:

It waffles between really direct, specific anger at racial categorization and how the wealthy especially enable and propagate it, and "The Illuminati are doing secret blood rituals to control our minds! Race mixing waters down your bloodline! Minorities are emotional and dangerous and a threat to society in large numbers!"

I don't think they're actually trying to say any of that but the messaging is all over the loving place.

a lot of people have complained about the “minorities are dangerous and can explode at the slightest provocation” thing (nirvasyl syndrome) but the show went out of its way to establish that anyone can suffer from it, its just a metaphor for furious rage, even the super inbred human leader guy gets it when hes cornered. ultimately i think the beastmen arent a metaphor for minorities, but instead a more general metaphor for any poor and downtrodden people. the show is an anthem for passion, and the beastmen are passionate, not emotional. the “illuminati” trying to develop a drug to remove that passion is pretty real as well.
ultimately i think the reason people have trouble with the messaging is because they read it as a racial allegory instead of a class allegory, which is immediately a flawed interpretation because the main character goes from being “human” to being a “beastman,” something thats supposed to be impossible and could change the world if discovered. that only really works with a class based interpretation.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Coaaab posted:

soul eater

naaaahhhtttt

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Soul Eater Talk To The Hand

Soul Eater That Was Awkward

Soul Eater As If

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

the guy whos mad about racemixing watering down your bloodline is the villain tho

Like the point is 'yes if a bunch more japanese people had kids with foreigners thered be less pure japanese people, but who cares'

That doesn't really scan when the villain being of pure blood also gives him goddamn superpowers and makes him immortal. Like, for all intents and purposes what we are shown seems to confirm that yes, mixing bloodlines makes you weaker.

scary ghost dog posted:

a lot of people have complained about the “minorities are dangerous and can explode at the slightest provocation” thing (nirvasyl syndrome) but the show went out of its way to establish that anyone can suffer from it, its just a metaphor for furious rage, even the super inbred human leader guy gets it when hes cornered. ultimately i think the beastmen arent a metaphor for minorities, but instead a more general metaphor for any poor and downtrodden people. the show is an anthem for passion, and the beastmen are passionate, not emotional. the “illuminati” trying to develop a drug to remove that passion is pretty real as well.
ultimately i think the reason people have trouble with the messaging is because they read it as a racial allegory instead of a class allegory, which is immediately a flawed interpretation because the main character goes from being “human” to being a “beastman,” something thats supposed to be impossible and could change the world if discovered. that only really works with a class based interpretation.

The problem is that the show's fundamental messaging is much more analogous to race than anything else. If it is supposed to be a class metaphor, it's too tied into that language of "humans" vs. "beastmen," and never adequately provides a non-essentialist viewpoint on why those rowdy beastmen are always so violent.

Also, rich people don't want there to not be any more poor people, they want the exact opposite? It kind of falls apart.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Where were you when Fubuki did a 3 hour stream commentating on Marine and Shion sleeping

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Like, if anything it would make more sense along those lines if Alan was trying to turn everyone into a beastman to assert some kind of weird supremacy over them? Like, that's its own can of worms but it's at least a little less confusing that a rich guy would want to make everyone else the underclass?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

That doesn't really scan when the villain being of pure blood also gives him goddamn superpowers and makes him immortal. Like, for all intents and purposes what we are shown seems to confirm that yes, mixing bloodlines makes you weaker.
yes but also the villain is the bad guy. He is bad. He is an evil person. Frieza is super strong and has an intergalactic empire and the moral of dbz isnt 'landlords are the ubermensch'

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

yes but also the villain is the bad guy. He is bad. He is an evil person. Frieza is super strong and has an intergalactic empire and the moral of dbz isnt 'landlords are the ubermensch'

Him being the bad guy does not automatically mean every single thing he says is a lie. There's a lot of stuff in that speech that gives the audience no other adequate explanation and is never meaningfully contradicted and so we kind of have to take at face value. DBZ doesn't even really make sense as an example here because super tough dudes are dime a dozen in DBZ, but also because if you're not a Saiyan (and even if you're a Saiyan, if you're not Goku) in DBZ you might as well not show up to fights because you're probably just going to eat poo poo.

e: Like, I'll grant that Alan going "we can't get Nirvasyl Syndrome!" is explicitly wrong, but then how can he do all that other poo poo if it was all untrue?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I thought Michiru and Nazuna were cute

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

turns out trying to stream a hard subbed rip of a hong kong vcd copy of a vhs release was a bad idea

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spiritus Nox posted:

I thought Michiru and Nazuna were cute

they are

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I know Darth Vader is the bad guy, but I still can't help but feel like Star Wars endorses planetary destruction, and that's not OK

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

Oh, come the gently caress on! :ughh:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Arist posted:

The problem is that the show's fundamental messaging is much more analogous to race than anything else. If it is supposed to be a class metaphor, it's too tied into that language of "humans" vs. "beastmen," and never adequately provides a non-essentialist viewpoint on why those rowdy beastmen are always so violent.

Also, rich people don't want there to not be any more poor people, they want the exact opposite? It kind of falls apart.

his strength is symbolic of his wealth and the power it grants him, and his plan is explicitly to trick all the beastmen into losing their minds by presenting them with a false messiah so he can imprison them and inject them with calming drugs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My point is, what other explanation in the world of the show is given for these events? There isn't one. Having your villain say something is not the same thing as challenging it. It's just a confusing allegory, it doesn't mean I think Star Wars is pro-Death Star, jeez

e: the problem with that bit in BNA is basically that if we don't accept the villain at their word there's just a gaping loving hole in the story

I don't even think this is a massive deal, I just thought it was weird

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 21, 2020

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i agree that the finale of BNA muddies the show's message when it should be clarifying it. i don't think it ruins the whole show, it's just not a particularly well executed ending.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think the message was maybe muddied up on purpose because if it wasnt then the bad guy would have won

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is BNA? I heard it once but I keep thinking of Boku No Hero Academia. :v:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it's what comes up if you google bna anime instead of writing STUPID posts

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

Brand New Animal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNA:_Brand_New_Animal

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I don't know what all the yelling is about but I'd like a 6hr probation so that we can get a casualty out of all this talk

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

starbucks hermit posted:

I don't know what all the yelling is about but I'd like a 6hr probation so that we can get a casualty out of all this talk

just to be clear, a 6hr probation for myself

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Flower posted:

it's what comes up if you google bna anime instead of writing STUPID posts

Then why didn't you google it for me, gotem

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

starbucks hermit posted:

just to be clear, a 6hr probation for myself

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Acerbatus posted:

boku no animal

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Heya it's me! Goku!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Heya it's me! Goku!
hey Goku, how's your heart disease

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Oh no!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Argh!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF13PHEeJYA

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if cell ate goku would cell have heart disease

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bugs don't have vascular systems like mammals do.

homeless snail posted:

if cell ate goku would cell have heart disease

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the only thing cell was missing was a heart

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aurora posted:

the only thing cell was missing was a heart

Pretty sure he got 2 of those after eating the androids.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the biggest casualty of comiket not going on this year is: no arknights doujins.

wanna see some cute comics about my daughter, red.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it's kind of painful when you think about how comiket genuinely supports tons of IPs

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arknights has some cool art but Im loving terrible at tower defense games and got stuck in chapter 2 and gave up.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i want an arknights doujin that has a panel where cardigan is in the background riding a rollercoaster and screaming "WOW, JET COASTAAAAAAA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Arist posted:

It doesn't though? Like he literally says that he got his powers and immortality from bathing in the blood of 1000 dead beastmen, the same as Oogami