Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

theironjef posted:

Since DC and WB are involved here, I'd say the character to mine for nostalgia superhero value is Freakazoid. And maybe a Road Rover.

oh hell yes, I forgot about Freakazoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mierenneuker posted:

Right now Spawn is already a DLC character for the latest Mortal Kombat game. Probably a way better fit for it than Soul Calibur ever was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbB8mHE4Y50

Is that Keith David? :allears:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

LifeSunDeath posted:

oh hell yes, I forgot about Freakazoid.

It's one of those games where you can change your outfit to "epic armor" type poo poo too, and what I want is for Freakazoid to not look like some neon synthpunk armored goggle turd like everyone else, but instead to just get like Groucho glasses and a spinning bowtie and an arrow through the head. Little lampstring under his lightning bolt that turns it on and off. Clown shoes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dewgy posted:

Is that Keith David? :allears:

Looks like they brought him back to the role

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Right now Spawn is already a DLC character for the latest Mortal Kombat game. Probably a way better fit for it than Soul Calibur ever was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbB8mHE4Y50

The one giant boot just undermines all of his bad-assitude.

It just makes him look like some goth kid who sprained his ankle and his parents have him in a walking cast.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Dishonored 2 is messing with my brain a bit. I finish the prologue and I’m on the first level and even though I’m just walking around a town guards immediately become hostile and try to kill me. I get that you need enemies and stuff but man is it jarring to turn a corner alongside another NPC but then I get shot.

The game’s civilian NPCs are pretty dumb. I’ve walked up to registers and robbed a few stores blind as the teller or worker stares directly at me and grumbles about the weather.

On the inverse guards are really really perceptive in the second hardest difficulty and I’m getting spotted by people across the level all the time.

And the game seems to have a thin layer of Vaseline across it making things at a distance super unsharp. I haven’t messed with the settings so I assume it’s intended?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Perestroika posted:

I still love the mental image of the Prince just sitting there, telling the tale like: "Alright, then I killed these sand monsters, scaled the side of the tallest tower in the palace, balanced along a narrow beam, and then I just jumped right of the side and loving died." :allears:
And that was only one of the many occasions on which I met my death!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I don't know wasn't captain planet's kryptonite loving pollution?

It's like if batman's weakness was that he can't see well in the dark and gets beat up a lot

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vic posted:

I don't know wasn't captain planet's kryptonite loving pollution?

It's like if batman's weakness was that he can't see well in the dark and gets beat up a lot

Yes, and it was very nebulous as to what constituted 'pollution'. I'm pretty sure oil spills weakened him once, despite oil just being a natural substance.

Captain Planet is more interesting to talk about as an adult than it was to watch as a kid.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Canonically Hitler is a form of pollution in the Planetverse

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

The He-Man show and the remake they had in the early Aughts pretty scrupulously avoided doing harm; let alone bloody ultra violence, to each other. Did all the comics or other media do the same?

Maybe they could start looking to non-sci-fi or horror action characters for future DLC. John McClane and Rambo for Mortal Kombat.

You can't kill or maim anyone because a)it would make the show no-go as a morning cartoon and b) you never know what characters will be in the next toy lineup.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He-Man in Soul Calibur would be amazing.

actually gently caress that, make a licensed Masters of the Universe fighting game. It has too many great character designs to waste on a guest slot in someone else's franchise.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm still waiting for something to bring back Captain Planet (It will never happen, because corporations are all the villains in that show)
Only the "bad" ones though. Its message, as I remember it, was very much about individual responsibility. Like, make sure to recycle and don't waste water, and buy products from companies that use less plastic in their packaging.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

Only the "bad" ones though. Its message, as I remember it, was very much about individual responsibility. Like, make sure to recycle and don't waste water, and buy products from companies that use less plastic in their packaging.

Yeah, the show was very much about personal responsibility in that way. Which is good, and was born of decent ideas (you want to teach kids that they can do something), but Captain Planet's outlook as a whole led to some weirdness.

I remember that a really big thing that led to Captain Planet being seen as a failure was actually one of the policies it stuck to to stop family arguments. They didn't want kids to think that their mom and dad are Bad Guys just because they work for a car manufacturer or a coal plant (which is fair, it's not their fault), so they made sure all the villains are EXTREMELY, unambiguously bad. ...but that made pollution seem like it wasn't a real problem, because in real life nobody is like Hoggish Greedly and just making factories that do nothing but dump toxic waste into the ocean.

Honestly, it's probably good that there's never been a Captain Planet revival, because Captain Planet tried to do something very important and failed so badly that it arguably did more harm than good to its own cause.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

Dishonored 2 is messing with my brain a bit. I finish the prologue and I’m on the first level and even though I’m just walking around a town guards immediately become hostile and try to kill me. I get that you need enemies and stuff but man is it jarring to turn a corner alongside another NPC but then I get shot.

The game’s civilian NPCs are pretty dumb. I’ve walked up to registers and robbed a few stores blind as the teller or worker stares directly at me and grumbles about the weather.

On the inverse guards are really really perceptive in the second hardest difficulty and I’m getting spotted by people across the level all the time.

And the game seems to have a thin layer of Vaseline across it making things at a distance super unsharp. I haven’t messed with the settings so I assume it’s intended?
Yes, Dishonored 2 is a bit uncomfortable and disorientating to play. I love immersive sims and it's a good game despite that, but it felt like I was playing it through a thin layer of jam smeared on the screen at all times, while on a boat in choppy water. Bizarre.

And yeah the levels in more civilian areas where guards will just start trying to murk you without warning are weird, particularly when you can then go into "hostile areas" or whatever and the guard behaviour is exactly the same

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

moosecow333 posted:

The way areas are classified is very misleading. Neutral/Hostile Territory pretty much ONLY applies to civilians. Guards will always attack you on sight, but on neutral ground civilians won't pay you any mind while in hostile areas they will run and alert the guards.

The menus can be pretty muddy (Dishonored's UI team should face a tribunal of graphic designers) but the in-game graphics have always been pretty sharp for me, so you probably should mess with the settings some.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The Castlevania 2 fan remake came out a few days ago, and for the most part it's a much better version of an infamously inscrutable game. However, there's one glaring drawback... the save system. In the original game, you had three lives and then you got a game over. Too many game overs and you'd get the bad ending if you ever managed to beat it. In the remake, though? You have a single life. And if you die you have to restart from a save point. This is still the same old Simon's Quest world map, so all those perilous jumps that existed before still exist, but you have to do them perfectly often several times. So far the only save points I've found are in churches in the towns, and the really hard bits are often a fairly long distance from the nearest town.

Even worse, it's not even a matter of getting gud or whatever, because Simon will still go flying a good ten feet if an enemy touches him. So you can do everything right and an enemy you didn't know was there can send you flying. And why wouldn't you be able to see an enemy? Because of the new nighttime effects. The remake did away with the "Horrible night to have a curse"/"Morning sun has vanquished the horrible night" text boxes and instead the transition is instant. And when it's night time, you can't see poo poo. Most of the screen gets obscured with an 85% opacity black filter, and only a tiny circle of light remains around Simon. While it's possible to see stuff outside of the circle of light if you squint and lean in close to your monitor, it's a quick recipe for a tension headache.

EDIT: Here's two comparison screenshots.

This is one of the towns during the daylight.

This is the exact same spot at night. :catstare:

DoubleNegative has a new favorite as of 10:06 on Aug 19, 2020

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

My Lovely Horse posted:

And that was only one of the many occasions on which I met my death!

My headcanon is that Farah is just kind of a rude audience. Like the Prince is talking about some perilous fight against all odds or some wild acrobatic poo poo when she randomly interjects "and then you diiiiiieeeeed!"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

The Castlevania 2 fan remake came out a few days ago, and for the most part it's a much better version of an infamously inscrutable game. However, there's one glaring drawback... the save system. In the original game, you had three lives and then you got a game over. Too many game overs and you'd get the bad ending if you ever managed to beat it. In the remake, though? You have a single life. And if you die you have to restart from a save point. This is still the same old Simon's Quest world map, so all those perilous jumps that existed before still exist, but you have to do them perfectly often several times. So far the only save points I've found are in churches in the towns, and the really hard bits are often a fairly long distance from the nearest town.

Even worse, it's not even a matter of getting gud or whatever, because Simon will still go flying a good ten feet if an enemy touches him. So you can do everything right and an enemy you didn't know was there can send you flying. And why wouldn't you be able to see an enemy? Because of the new nighttime effects. The remake did away with the "Horrible night to have a curse"/"Morning sun has vanquished the horrible night" text boxes and instead the transition is instant. And when it's night time, you can't see poo poo. Most of the screen gets obscured with an 85% opacity black filter, and only a tiny circle of light remains around Simon. While it's possible to see stuff outside of the circle of light if you squint and lean in close to your monitor, it's a quick recipe for a tension headache.

So were they just dedicated to Castelvania 2’s particular aesthetic of not liking the player, cause no level checkpoints sounds pretty brutal even back in the day and it just sounds like a different solution instead of a better one unless I’m missing something.

Last Celebration has a new favorite as of 14:11 on Aug 19, 2020

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

So were they just dedicated to Castelvania 2’s particular aesthetic of not liking the player, cause no level checkpoints sounds pretty brutal even back in the day and it just sounds like a different solution instead of a better one unless I’m missing something.

Wait, yeah, what was the point of this remake? The game is fine, just maybe a little cryptic. But it was from an era of making games to encourage subscriptions to Nintendo Power.

Honestly, after the SotN 'metroidvania' revitalized the series, I'd always hoped for a Simon's Quest 2, going from town to town and castle to castle in a non-linear way. It would be awesome.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DoubleNegative posted:

What the hell? I mean, it would mean something if there was, like, a candle/lantern item you could get to expand the range of vision, but just like that is ridiculous.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ryza roads is a cute little game free on itch where you drive around an island and can do races to buy new cars. Unfortunately the cars feel like slot Cars and love spinning out, and for some reason there's a ferry to get to another island that takes 2 minutes to get there. Like you can't skip it.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

This seems like a remake made by someone who neither plays nor makes games.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

DoubleNegative posted:

That looks frustrating. I wonder how well it would work if they had a second circle at twice the diameter at 50% opaque, or some gradient across the field of vision.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What causes the day/night change in that game? Is it just a timer or some other trigger?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

What causes the day/night change in that game? Is it just a timer or some other trigger?

Timer. I like the mechanic, to be honest. There was this sense of relief when day would break, because the enemies would be 1/2 the HP again.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So the correct thing to do whenever night happens is just entirely stop playing the game and wait for day again? Is there something you can only do at night or any reason at all not to only play during the day besides your own boredom?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The remake has a lot of nice features, like showing you breakable blocks and even which subweapon breaks them. It has kill bounties that rewards you with money that you use instead of hearts for currency. And the day/night transitions no longer pause the action for 10 seconds each.

It’s just got some major downsides that I mentioned. And those are the only ones I saw in a hour of playing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man, Star Wars: The Old Republic must on run on some weird-rear end code.

So, a while back I tried getting into this game but ran into the issue that EA's own launcher won't allow the game to be installed on an external HD (I'm told you can move it there but you have to download it all first) and I just plain did not have 230 GB sitting around anywhere. When the game finally came to Steam I thought "Okay, Steam lets me install anywhere, I'm sure this'll be fine." And yes, they have fixed that one issue.

Took a while to get there though. See, the launcher Steam installed doesn't quite work, it constantly told me my Steam account was offline which it wasn't, and I had to Google this and figure out there's a patch you need to download to fix the launcher. When that was done, I let the game slowly download everything basically overnight. This morning it couldn't run because I didn't have some DLL driver or another, that I had to find online again, because I guess it should be in the game files but isn't? So I had to do that to finally get the drat thing working. And it does in such a way that the UI is weirdly shrunk and changing resolution doesn't seem to fix it.

I have just never had this much trouble getting a game, even an MMO, to run. Like, City of Heroes is easier and that's a game that you can only play because of third-party unofficial servers. When I dipped back into WoW for a free trial a couple years back, no problems. EA is still maintaining this, there are technically patches.

Granted Bioware seems to have had this problem, like forever. I'm not sure why every single one of their games has massive tech problems but there you go.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm not sure why every single one of their games has massive tech problems but there you go.

Piles of sand.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mass Effect 2 was one of the best-looking and running games of its time. It ran beautifully on my piece of crap PC in 2010 and still looks amazing today. As for everything else Bioware's done, well...

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm kind of annoyed that so many games have stuff that you can only get in a second playthrough, especially if the game doesn't change between runs.

The two most annoying ones for me are Hollow Knight and the later Yakuza games. HK has achievements that require at least a second playthrough, probably a third. I love the game but it's not the kind that is very replayable. And Yakuza has their ng+ stuff, and that series is actually pretty replayable, but dang there are like seven of the them and they are all very similar. Like why would I play one particular game in the series twice when there's more kamorocho out there.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I remember ME2 having poo poo textures at launch, with passable faces and everything from the neck down a pixelated mess. BioWare blamed it on low VRAM on consoles, but why should I care on PC? It did run real smooth tho and probably has a full texture overhaul mod now like the first game eventually got

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

New Microsoft Flight Simulator disguises its initial download as a simple couple gigabytes or so, but then is like "OK I'm gonna download 100+ gigabytes now" when you start the actual program

AND THE LAUNCHER JUST SITS THERE BLASTING THEIR SMOOTH FLIGHT SIMULATOR SOUNDTRACK AT 100% VOLUME THE WHOLE TIME IT'S SITTING THERE DOWNLOADING
:negative::negative::negative:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Aug 21, 2020

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Oh that's fuuucked. Even weird Russian pirate installs allow you to turn their music off

... I've heard.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Started playing State of Decay 2. I'm still in the tutorial. I get a quest that some people have been robbed. I go meet with the person that got robbed and they ask if we should go in guns blazing or try diplomacy. I say I'll talk to the robbers, they agree, and we drive on over to the robbers' headquarters. I ask them politely to return the stuff they stole. They say okay and drop the stuff they stole on the ground. I am now able to trade with them, because they are friendly to me. I trade with them, and fill up my inventory. I go and put all my stuff in the trunk of my car. I come back and pick up the stuff that they set on the ground. They all aggro and kill me and the NPC that had hired me.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Sounds like you got played son.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In the zombie apocalypse you can only trust your gun.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, I legit can't tell if it's actually super deep AI, or if the game glitched and forgot that I'd passed my diplomacy check.

I do know that when my anger subsides to the point I can play again I'm killing every mother fucker on the map without a word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bony tony posted:

Oh that's fuuucked. Even weird Russian pirate installs allow you to turn their music off

... I've heard.

It's the most literal :wtf::psyboom: moment I've had in a while, like, I'm trying to be legit here and they're just making my computer unusable for who-knows-how-many hours with no apparent way to get around it, all because I felt like trying a product made by one of the world's major tech corporations.