Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Hi, hello.

Please don't triple-post, it is better to just combine all your quotes into one post. You can do that with the "add quote" button that appears next to all recent posts below the Message entry box when you are on the reply screen. This is not a huge deal but apparently it bothers some folks and is a matter of posting courtesy.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Oh, my friend, I've got some bad news for you. That piece of poo poo does it all the time in the tradgames thread, thankfully most of the readership there has put them on ignore. Just report him and watch as mods do nothing to that white noise threadshitter.

edit: lol i thought this was the bloodlines 2 thread. here's my dog for a lovely snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi Soonmot, I'm an IK in Trad Games now, so I have the awesome power and dire responsibility of handing out sixers when they're warranted.

I don't want to just land in a thread I'm not familiar with and start tossing around probes on the basis of popularity or grudge, though. I need to see rules-breaking behavior that I can directly address. Moreover, my moderation style is to politely ask for improvements and give people a chance to do better before escalating. Finally, I'm new at this and probably going to mess things up so I ask for your forbearance while I get the hang of it.

Triple-posting is a minor infraction of posting etiquette and I feel that asking nicely for it to stop is a reasonable first step.

Your dog is cute.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh that's awesome, thank you!

If you look back over the thread history, you'll see that Oberst and Metapod have a pattern of doing this. Thankfully, they've stopped posting so the problem sorted itself out that way. I'm just happy to have to some mod oversight here, this is a great thread otherwise.

Also: my dog thanks you.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Soonmot posted:

Oh that's awesome, thank you!

If you look back over the thread history, you'll see that Oberst and Metapod have a pattern of doing this. Thankfully, they've stopped posting so the problem sorted itself out that way. I'm just happy to have to some mod oversight here, this is a great thread otherwise.

Also: my dog thanks you.

Metapod got threadbanned for something else which is why he isn't here anymore, but both of them have been warned on their habit of triple-posting before.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, we all know they're the same guy anyway.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't prove it, but I suspect that neither is a real person and it's all viral marketing for V5 anyway.

Like random YouTube comments about how awesome a product is. Some marketing bot just looks at the thread, sees that they made their post quota, then cuts a check for $0.008 per post.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

moths posted:

I can't prove it, but I suspect that neither is a real person and it's all viral marketing for V5 anyway.

Like random YouTube comments about how awesome a product is. Some marketing bot just looks at the thread, sees that they made their post quota, then cuts a check for $0.008 per post.

That doesn't explain their really gross posting in other threads, but I'm wouldn't rule out them being the same person or at least good real life friends considering they tend to follow each other around the forum.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My intention was not to derail this thread into becoming a discussion about how any particular poster is a Bad Poster or whatever. My recommendation is to carry on discussing World/Chronicles of Darkness, and if actual problems with any posters arise, you can report them, message me, or both, and I'll do what I feel is most appropriate.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Here's a thing that came up in discussion elsewhere that I'm curious about how others feel: V5 Thaumaturgy / Blood Sorcery, and "Oblivion."

In past editions of VtM, Thaum was the "sure do whatever anything at an in-clan discipline cost" power for Tremere, and in V5, they now have Blood Sorcery, which shifts most of the do-a-ton-of-things to Rituals and (at least at the moment, while there's only a few books published) and makes the core discipline itself a relatively tight 5 dots (with additional sidegrades for Banu Haqim taking it).

But! I tell you that story to tell you this one: what they did with all the necromancy clans.

Samedi, Nagaraja, Harbingers of Skulls/Cappadocians (and Lamia, Dunsirn, Pisanob, etc.) are all Giovanni now in terms of clan weakness and Discipline spread in V5 (with some optional swap-ins on a per-bloodline basis). That spread includes "Oblivion," which, in an effort to encompass all their disparate disciplines, has multiple powers per rank, and ceremonies (rituals). And, get this, Oblivion is already a discipline for the Lasombra, in place of their old Obtenebration. Which gives each rank a shadow-related power too.

So like...why. Any of it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maybe some mortwights got involved in the editorial team for V5 and decided to put in a shout out to grandmaw?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nessus posted:

Maybe some mortwights got involved in the editorial team for V5 and decided to put in a shout out to grandmaw?
Yeah the only positive I thought of related to it was "hey maybe this makes Wraith more likely?" but that's sandwiched around just a whole bunch of questions about katamari-balling a ton of groups into being No Literally, They Are the Giovanni Now, Optionally You Can Make Them Be Slightly Less, for reasons that I have to assume boil down to "this makes it easier for people to LARP as them."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So with all those bloodlines and two clans they’re a sect, not a clan themselves, right?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Dawgstar posted:

So with all those bloodlines and two clans they’re a sect, not a clan themselves, right?
Cults of the Blood Gods isn't past manuscript yet so this is from the wiki, but apparently they're a big ol' Mysteriously, We're Now a Clan, Clan, mechanically.

quote:

Due to mysterious changes in the Blood, many Hecata no longer have their old curses—the Samedi are no longer rotting corpses, the Nagaraja no longer require the sustenance of flesh, and the Cappadocian and Harbingers of Skulls no longer have their corpse-like complexion—instead, they now all share the same clan bane: the excruciatingly painful Kiss.

+ the same compulsion, and referred to collectively as an independent clan.

I mean it's a neat idea broadly, but god you could've picked a better clan to merge them all under than the Giovanni, like literally any of the other constituent clans.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Nagaraja being part of it makes no sense. They weren’t linked to Cappodicious at all as I can recall.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

"They're trying to make everything LARP forward/compatible/friendly" makes sense to some extent, or at least, it's a design decision other than "let's be as EDGY AS gently caress! yeah! i'm poking out my tongue and there's a SAFETY PIN IN IT!"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I at least like the Samedi being folded in to have the murder kiss instead of just having the Nosferatu bane with a different flavor. I do hope there's some kind of further fleshing out how it all went down though.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

I at least like the Samedi being folded in to have the murder kiss instead of just having the Nosferatu bane with a different flavor. I do hope there's some kind of further fleshing out how it all went down though.

I sure as poo poo would hope that it's covered by the book about the cults of the blood gods

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm also guessing we can safely assume Tzimisce will end up with Protean, Auspex, and Animalism when/if they are added back to the game? Unless they went all in on "Old Clan" for whatever reason.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So one of the best things about owod vampire, is the billion clans and bloodlines, why gently caress with that?

I liked the old masquerade-> requiem conversion guide that has the Giovanni as more of a hidden society made of any any vampire invited to join

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
The Giovanni, and Tremere for that matter, are both much better if treated as a Covenant.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I like some of V5's setting changes (The Second Inquisition and the ensuing chaos, the Brujah finally snapping, clans being scattered to enable more sect and clan combos) but everything mechanically makes me bounce off like a rubber ball. Messy Criticals are a terrible loving idea outside of maybe combat, and the weird Discipline pruning is just like... why? The Hecata thing is the worst of both, dropping interesting mechanics and making the setting less interesting.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rubix Squid posted:

The Giovanni, and Tremere for that matter, are both much better if treated as a Covenant.

The Giovanni are the funniest thing in the setting and it's a shame the best possible Giovanni character was not actually in WOD (Italian Elon Musk).

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Thanks for the comments, I will pick up V5, I used to love reading the metaplot so i'm happy it's advanced - not happy about the Giovanni disappearing though, they were my favourite clan!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Cable posted:

Thanks for the comments, I will pick up V5, I used to love reading the metaplot so i'm happy it's advanced - not happy about the Giovanni disappearing though, they were my favourite clan!
I think you're misreading us, the opposite happens---the Giovanni are now, mechanically, the only death-clan that's there anymore. All the others have the Giovanni weakness, and the Giovanni disciplines, the name is just "Clan Hecata" at a high level but they're still there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Honestly if you just want to go metaplot wild, skip V5 and go right to Beckett's Jyhad Diary.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
yeah, the V5 core is deliberately light on metaplot besides telling you that the Second Inquisition exists now and the Elders got beckoned away; there's more metaplot in the Anarch and Camarilla supplements but those also have some of the most stupid ideas committed to a splatbook, like a two page news story on two vampires that do pet play

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Jyhad/VTES question: Anyone ordered those new "intro decks" that are for sale and if so, how do they play? I've already got a bunch of loose cards, but I'd like to have some quick playing pre-cons to have around.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

Honestly if you just want to go metaplot wild, skip V5 and go right to Beckett's Jyhad Diary.

This is strongly seconded. There's some great stuff for lore nerds like me.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

EdsTeioh posted:

Jyhad/VTES question: Anyone ordered those new "intro decks" that are for sale and if so, how do they play? I've already got a bunch of loose cards, but I'd like to have some quick playing pre-cons to have around.

Do you mean the First Blood decks? They are aimed as intro decks for gameplay demos and first time players mostly, they are pretty cheap however each pack is about half a deck and the quality of the cards themselves are not as good as other products. I bought some of them to get some cheap copies of staple cards but I wouldn't recommend them as playable precons.

If you want complete decks ready to sit and play, I recommend to either preorder the fifth edition decks (five camarilla decks, balanced to play against each other, not too complex although not really optimized) or the Sabbat precons, which are pretty good, some people has even won tournaments with some of them. The 25th anniversary deck is a really good buy too.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 21, 2020

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I actually like what V5 did with discipline consolidation, like the way "Dementation" is just some Dominate powers that also require Auspex/Obfuscate (or vice versa) or the way that Quietus and Thaumaturgy turn out to be variants of the same discipline.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I absolutely hate the V5 metaplot changes but Beckett's Jyhad Diary was basically a dopamine binge for me. It's also absurdly long and will keep you busy for awhile.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Guilty posted:

I absolutely hate the V5 metaplot changes but Beckett's Jyhad Diary was basically a dopamine binge for me. It's also absurdly long and will keep you busy for awhile.

It really feels like you could turn any section into a full chronicle. Which is probably a bit hyperbole, but only just.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The V5 changes really feel like unofficial fan-fiction that got canonized at gunpoint.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

moths posted:

The V5 changes really feel like unofficial fan-fiction that got canonized at gunpoint.

I mean, that's what it is.

Martin was a fan that convinced his friend('s company) to buy it for him so he could make the changes he wanted.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

I mean, that's what it is.

Martin was a fan that convinced his friend('s company) to buy it for him so he could make the changes he wanted.

Some of which come from his home game.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Pope Guilty posted:

I have been catching up, please correct me if I’m wrong - some guy held VtM hostage, caused IRL international trouble that got him fired and now White Wolf as a company doesn’t exist anymore and it’s more of a brand that gets licensed (to Onyx path for example)?

Oooh boy.

I see that Beckett’s Jihad Diary is some bridge between V20 and v5 by onyx path. Did they have to basically work with Martin’s metaplot changes? I’m still in the first pages of the book, how are the metaplot changes so controversial?

edit: I guess V5 does bring good things to the table though? i'll keep reading!

Cable fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 21, 2020

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cable posted:

I have been catching up, please correct me if I’m wrong - some guy held VtM hostage, caused IRL international trouble that got him fired and now White Wolf as a company doesn’t exist anymore and it’s more of a brand that gets licensed (to Onyx path for example)?

Oooh boy.

I see that Beckett’s Jihad Diary is some bridge between V20 and v5 by onyx path. Did they have to basically work with Martin’s metaplot changes? I’m still in the first pages of the book, how are the metaplot changes so controversial?

Yes, part of the reason why the 20th anniversary books stopped getting made is that Martin was forcing changes into the books to 'bridge' the gap to 5th edition. One of the things that immediately springs to mind is that in V5, Vampires do not have souls, they can only get their soul back if they undergo golconda. Despite the fact that there are several Vampire Wraiths. According to the new canon, all these people who couldn't even see the path of Humanity if they squinted, somehow achieved Golconda. There's a lot more but other people are more well read on it than I.

They also forced some really gross transphobic and "Women exist to make babies and werewolf sperm is so powerful it can defeat an IUD" changes into the last W20 book despite the fact that W5 is still nowhere near coming out.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Beckett's Jyhad Diary is more of an alternate metaplot than a bridge to 5e. There was some talk about incorporating elements of Beckett in 5e because it was popular, but they were, basically, lies. It is, however, a really good book.

quote:

Honestly, White Wolf hasn't existed for nearly a decade.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

They also forced some really gross transphobic and "Women exist to make babies and werewolf sperm is so powerful it can defeat an IUD" changes into the last W20 book despite the fact that W5 is still nowhere near coming out.

They also feel like they reverted to stereotype with the Banu Haqim in the Camarilla book. Either you worship ur-Shulgi, or you're Muslim because Middle East I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I take BJD to be the final word on V20 and that works fine for me.