Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rewatching, I did mistakenly conflate the immortality sources, which was gained from a similar method as Shirou, but there's definitely stuff he can do that Shirou explicitly cannot soooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i want an arknights doujin that has a panel where cardigan is in the background riding a rollercoaster and screaming "WOW, JET COASTAAAAAAA"

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

Where were you when Fubuki did a 3 hour stream commentating on Marine and Shion sleeping

I was at work unfortunately.

Fubuki owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3miUYPOS34

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Doc V posted:

It doesn't though? Like he literally says that he got his powers and immortality from bathing in the blood of 1000 dead beastmen, the same as Oogami

i also think that this is clearly an allegory for colonialism

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

New Game needs another season

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

ultimately i think the reason people have trouble with the messaging is because they read it as a racial allegory instead of a class allegory

Nah, it's bc the messaging is stupid and overwrought and has no basis in reality. If you're getting to the point that you're writing yourself in circles crafting a "metaphor" for rage of the oppressed, and your oppressed fantasy race is already shown being fully capable of expressing rage, then as a writer, you should really just start all over. The Nirvasyl syndrome poo poo kills the show dead. The moment BNA made it about that, it removed the Beastmen's actual feelings, agency, everything from the equation to make it about overwritten lore bs, based in icky tone-deaf tropes that make it read like it was about biology the whole time, nevermind how defining and explaining it and the perfunctory, never-entertaining cult stuff totally hijacks the backhalf of the show. It contributes to the weird sense the beastmen are being Othered by their own narrative the whole show, and trying to read it strictly as a class allegory makes even less sense than the alternative, and demands a lot of willful ignorance on the part of your analysis.

Promare didn't need to write itself in circles creating metaphors to make you sympathize w the Burnish and their situation, fancy that.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
BNA's clumsy racism/classism allegory was already naive and full of unfortunate messaging even before the finale, it just got worse over time. The show was super stylish and impressive to look at and listen to, but I couldn't get much out of it as a story.

Zeether posted:

Yeah!

ai girlfriend
Jan 1, 2020

Zeether posted:

It's probably getting one once there's enough manga for it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

Nah, it's bc the messaging is stupid and overwrought and has no basis in reality. If you're getting to the point that you're writing yourself in circles crafting a "metaphor" for rage of the oppressed, and your oppressed fantasy race is already shown being fully capable of expressing rage, then as a writer, you should really just start all over. The Nirvasyl syndrome poo poo kills the show dead. The moment BNA made it about that, it removed the Beastmen's actual feelings, agency, everything from the equation to make it about overwritten lore bs, based in icky tone-deaf tropes that make it read like it was about biology the whole time, nevermind how defining and explaining it and the perfunctory, never-entertaining cult stuff totally hijacks the backhalf of the show. It contributes to the weird sense the beastmen are being Othered by their own narrative the whole show, and trying to read it strictly as a class allegory makes even less sense than the alternative, and demands a lot of willful ignorance on the part of your analysis.

Promare didn't need to write itself in circles creating metaphors to make you sympathize w the Burnish and their situation, fancy that.

guess im watching promare tomorrow

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

scary ghost dog posted:

It's pretty good!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

promare is definitely my favorite thing from the imaishi/yoshinari side of trigger

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ai girlfriend posted:

It's probably getting one once there's enough manga for it

The Paris arc ended a couple of months ago and is exactly the right size for another 13 episode series, so there is in fact enough manga for it already.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

It's very good and much more to the point. Enjoy!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When I watched Promare in the theater I was getting pretty worried after an early scene that the plot was going to turn into Imaishi tackling prejudice by having all the characters turn to the camera and go "Racism... is bad" which was just about the least appealing thing in the world to me on many levels. Thankfully it doesn't stay on that course.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Paris arc ended a couple of months ago and is exactly the right size for another 13 episode series, so there is in fact enough manga for it already.

I don't read the manga, so I'm just imagining this being the girls infiltrating Ubisoft headquarters and getting all the sexpests there arrested.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
should i read or watch “girls last tour”

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
the anime is only like 4/6 of the volumes the manga ended up with, but its also an incredible experience. if you dont mind missing the resolution (or just doing both) the anime is a good bet.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

the anime is only like 4/6 of the volumes the manga ended up with, but its also an incredible experience. if you dont mind missing the resolution (or just doing both) the anime is a good bet.

thanks, ill read it

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
thats also a good choice. ill probably read it once i finish my watch next week or so. :cheerdoge:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

scary ghost dog posted:

both!!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the anime is incredibly good and pretty. definitely the type of series that's elevated by the big screen imo

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

scary ghost dog posted:

I would definitely recommend checking out both, since the artist has a unique artstyle that captures a slightly different feel than the manga, but both are incredible.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Excited for new Deftones in 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDbj0oeAj0

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

the anime is incredibly good and pretty. definitely the type of series that's elevated by the big screen imo

Julias posted:

I would definitely recommend checking out both, since the artist has a unique artstyle that captures a slightly different feel than the manga, but both are incredible.

alright i guess ill watch it too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
even before the last chunk the manga has some bits the anime doesn't and vice versa, the anime cuts off before the ending but the ep where chii and yuu find a stash of alcohol and get drunk together is anime-original and gets referenced later on

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
watching accelerator now because i guess i live in this index hole.

boy I don't know what I was expecting. I feel like the director/animation director whatever on this was the same as One Punch man. So many still body action frames (can't remember exact name, where the character is static but the background is like a bunch of slightly moving action lines, used a lot in old action shows and is really lovely. Was extremely present all over OPM s2). It's really pretty lame compared to Railgun.

anyway, it's ok. Misaka Misaka pretty much saves it. though I'm confused as to why they changed her cartoony blush cheek thing that's in index and railgun. Way cuter.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tsukumizu is also a very pro twitter follow after reading/watching Girls Last Tour

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/suzushiro333/status/1296753241644965888

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

The conclusion isn't particularly important anyways. It's like Devilman, you can probably guess where it's going to go and the specifics aren't important.

Then again School Live's manga just abruptly throws the tone and theme it had going the entire time, with the cast going from high school to college to university and it was all set up for them dying together and then it gets a random happy ending??

e; added tags to be safe tho i think it's vague enough for last tour.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 21, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the ending of girls' last tour is one of the most interesting and intimate moments in the entire story and it would be way weaker without it, and while the anime ending does an alright job for what it is it doesn't leave nearly the same impact

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also i'm up to the last two episodes of nanoha a's and i think it might be one of my favorite seasons of magical girl anime ever

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i think the ending of girls' last tour is one of the most interesting and intimate moments in the entire story and it would be way weaker without it, and while the anime ending does an alright job for what it is it doesn't leave nearly the same impact

sounds like i should watch the anime before reading the manga for sure. :thanks:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean you can do it in any order i'm not an order cop

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

presenting the brand spanking new glt watch order:

first half of glt manga
girls und panzer
sabagebu
glt anime
second half of manga

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

first half of glt manga
girls und panzer
sabagebu
glt anime
second half of manga

what the gently caress you forgot to insert shimeji simulation, the shimeji simulation picture book and the weird even earlier shimeji simulation comic that's a really depressing story about suicide in between gup and sabagebu, and strike witches and haifuri after the glt anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly though it's wild that shimeji simulation began as two of the most depressing things tsukumizu's ever made and became their most zen serialized manga ever

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Colonel posted:

also i'm up to the last two episodes of nanoha a's and i think it might be one of my favorite seasons of magical girl anime ever

The ending to A's is great and probably one of my favorite Magical girl Sacrifice endings ever

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

first half of glt manga
girls und panzer
sabagebu
glt anime
second half of manga

wait.....is girls und panzer part of the girls last tour canon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean. tsukumizu probably drew girls und panzer fanart once. probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it's the same tank