Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

Tallies from Iowa finally starting to firm up, 4,000 mi² recieved Cat-2 hurricane force winds destroying roughly 250,000,000 bushels or fourteen billion pounds of corn

That’s enough to feed every person on the planet for a day and a half, or, in other words, a little under half of a percent of world food demands (if the corn weren’t destined for animal feed and there were no food waste).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Awful lot of desperate Iowan country girls I tell you that much

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'll give you this, you're providing a good example of what I meant: a narrative of inevitable happy victory is one that brings people to the polls. The theory that complacency makes people not bother to vote is BS, Americans love a winner and enjoy joining bandwagons. Unless it's for someone they don't like, in which case they sulk and stay home.

But none of this marketing nonsense can compete with real-poo poo voter suppression. The democratic party cannot defend democracy.

Just a quick thing because I'm likely doing a poo poo job at defense - all the swing states (besides Texas) are no-excuse absentee already, so unless they figure out how to *completely* shut down the mail, most of the voter suppression poo poo they're doing won't work. And even if they shut down the mail, that will end up obliterating the rural, Republican areas more.

You're right about Democratic defense though. There are an absolute shitpile of Democratic lawsuits ongoing, but that's about it. Way too much trust in the system, then they get Air Bud dunked on while whining about the rules.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

This thread is reading exactly like 2016 and its going to end with the same results

The funny thing is that this is the prevailing view in the country! The polls are drastically different, Biden by a lot, but that same majority of people thinks that Trump is going to win.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1295155505564966912?s=19

lol

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I think there is the fatal error of not calculating people really hated Hilary Clinton and are pretty meh about Joe. People now hate Trump even more so the 80k votes across 5 states is likely not going to happen even with the suppression. I think it’s going to say the senate and kick the cab, but Trump is in a shittier position that he was in 2016 and doesn’t have 30 years of propaganda behind his opponent.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

New Orleans about to get Eiffel towered.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

This is why you look at polling averages instead of just one poll:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1295164179037466625?s=19

There are five major national polls. Two have shown tightening (the CNN one being swingy as all hell), three have not. The CNN one is the only poll going from Biden 10+ to Biden by 4 and back and forth. We're not at Biden+12 like a few months ago, but we're not at Biden +4 either.

Plus, there's a reason why both Biden and Trump have promoted the hell out of that poll! Both sides (lol) want the narrative that it's close!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

sharknado slashfic posted:

I took this thread out of my bookmarks for my sanity, but I read it every night before I go to bed. One more reason to hate you alcoholism.

https://i.imgur.com/1Ofz1O8.gifv

Sleep better tonight, sharknado.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Now if you REALLY want to be concerned about election poo poo instead of poll junk:

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1296627473342517248?s=19

Now he was lying his bronzer off the whole time, but the question of "what if he's not?" is what people are figuring out right now. The expiration of the consent decree banning RNC poll intimidation poo poo is causing this - though there are laws in place (lol again) banning military and civilian police at polling places. The RNC is talking about using off-duty police and other fuckers for the poll watching garbage.

Edit: ok enough doom poo poo, here's NBC's QAnon reporter with a new, sudden addition to her family

https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1296797277646880768?s=19

Edit2: gently caress IT, DOOM

https://twitter.com/gdimeweather/status/1296785147015168003?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 21, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Chauvin” is a cursed loving name.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Strong mormon child name vibes

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I think there is the fatal error of not calculating people really hated Hilary Clinton and are pretty meh about Joe. People now hate Trump even more so the 80k votes across 5 states is likely not going to happen even with the suppression. I think it’s going to say the senate and kick the cab, but Trump is in a shittier position that he was in 2016 and doesn’t have 30 years of propaganda behind his opponent.

I dunno if you're up on current events but theres more than 30 years of Biden being a shitter that the Trump can run on.

Conservatives wildly love their candidate, Democrats don't. We're doing 2016 all over again, on purpose.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Dude's lying his dick off this morning:

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1296803768214921217?s=19

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1296804929437421568?s=19

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1296807490374578176?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hahahahahah video to follow once I find it

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1296807675154575361?s=19

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I dunno if you're up on current events but theres more than 30 years of Biden being a shitter that the Trump can run on.

Conservatives wildly love their candidate, Democrats don't. We're doing 2016 all over again, on purpose.

Lots of Dems love Biden/Harris, which is why Biden crushed Sanders among democratic voters in the primaries. Those voters just aren't posting on a dead comedy forum.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
gently caress ALL THIS BULLSHIT ABOUT THE ELECTION

CLICK ME AND GO TO 0:06

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1296807765076312070?s=19

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

facialimpediment posted:

That's more or less the Trump campaign strategy, but there's a serious problem with it. If you try to decrease votes for the other side, there's the very real threat of blowback. A lot of the voter suppression poo poo they're trying to pull is just making people even more determined to vote, even people that might not have considered voting before. That's how you get BLM rallies in the middle of the deep south after gassing Lafayette Square.

And I thoroughly believe voters' minds can be changed - swing voters are very, very weird people.

Outside of election poo poo - if you're in the south, you should probably be getting hurricane shelter supplies right now, just in case.

https://twitter.com/DanielWDSU/status/1296647215323254784?s=19

Uuuuhhhh.... that don't look good.

William Gibson the SF author has an argument that the apocalypse isn't going to be one thing, it's going to be a "jackpot" of a thousand disasters all hitting at more or less the same time, and I gotta say that's looking pretty plausible right now.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Just looking at the attack ads, they are generic Democrats ruin everything bullshit that would have run with Bernie or any democrat. I still am on active duty and deal with a lot of hardcore conservatives. Mentioning Hillary Clinton to this day still get a rabid response to Benghazi or her emails. Biden gets lukewarm, well I just don’t my taxes raised reactions. GOP is fueled by hate, and they haven’t turned it on Biden yet, which won’t increase turn out for them.

I agree Biden’s not a good candidate for progressive movements that we need in the country, but he’s no where near as hated as Clinton. 30 years of center right politics gets thrown out for he was friends with Obama and GOP are grasping at straws like he’s a cocaine addict and other nutty bullshit that isn’t sticking.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1296818793566568456?s=20

Just imagine I wrote a screed about operations management being a cargo cult or something

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Notahippie posted:

William Gibson the SF author has an argument that the apocalypse isn't going to be one thing, it's going to be a "jackpot" of a thousand disasters all hitting at more or less the same time, and I gotta say that's looking pretty plausible right now.

That's usually how it goes

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1296818793566568456?s=20

Just imagine I wrote a screed about operations management being a cargo cult or something

What the first tweet says and what the video says do not seem to match. The video appears to be a denial by the postmaster general, not a confirmation. Am I just bad at reading twitter?

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
I’m in St. Croix flying TD13 which is now TS Laura. It’s still pretty messy and 5 days is a long time for something to change. It’ll all depend on how much time is spends over warm water and if it skirts around Hispaniola and Cuba, which it looks like it will.

TD14 they really thought was just going to run across Mexico and be done but it turned hard North and here we are.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

piL posted:

What the first tweet says and what the video says do not seem to match. The video appears to be a denial by the postmaster general, not a confirmation. Am I just bad at reading twitter?

The PMG is stating that he's not going to put the sorting machines back. He's claiming they need the space for package processing and they don't need the sorting machines for flat mail pieces. Completely the opposite of what the rank-and-file is saying.

Then, Sen. Rosen got the PMG to admit that he had no study data or any actual planning for the effects of what he did. He just figured he would do it, it would work, and he'd be a legend.

Wonder Free posted:

I’m in St. Croix flying TD13 which is now TS Laura. It’s still pretty messy and 5 days is a long time for something to change. It’ll all depend on how much time is spends over warm water and if it skirts around Hispaniola and Cuba, which it looks like it will.

TD14 they really thought was just going to run across Mexico and be done but it turned hard North and here we are.

Most updated forecast:

https://twitter.com/wxbrad/status/1296824121075138561?s=19

If y'all are in the south, get supplies now.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

So much of this poo poo has been like this:

(R) Senator: Mr. DeJoy, did you kill the mail?

DeJoy: No.

(R) Senator: Well, thank you for your time, and I'm sorry you have to go through this. It's a terrible political hit job by the Democrats.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Wonder Free posted:

Have there ever been two simultaneous TDs/hurricanes in the gulf like this before? What happens if they get close? How do these things interact?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just...

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1296820737521717248

"We stole all your money, but you're too dumb to realize it, even if we say it out loud to your faces"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Torrannor posted:

I just...

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1296820737521717248

"We stole all your money, but you're too dumb to realize it, even if we say it out loud to your faces"

I have no good way of hearing the audio on this for the next 10 hours. Is that actually a direct quote?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"Welcome back, this is Steven K. Bannon! We're off the coast of St Tropez in southern France in the med on the million dollar yacht of Brian Kolfage and uh, Brian Kolfage, he took all that money from Build The Wall. No, we're actually in Sundland Park, NM" is the direct quote

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 21, 2020

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

CainFortea posted:

I have no good way of hearing the audio on this for the next 10 hours. Is that actually a direct quote?

"We're on a million dollar yacht of Brian Colfage, and, uh, Brian...he took all that money from 'Build the Wall'...no, we're actually (...)"

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

facialimpediment posted:

The PMG is stating that he's not going to put the sorting machines back. He's claiming they need the space for package processing and they don't need the sorting machines for flat mail pieces. Completely the opposite of what the rank-and-file is saying.

Then, Sen. Rosen got the PMG to admit that he had no study data or any actual planning for the effects of what he did. He just figured he would do it, it would work, and he'd be a legend.

I wasn't talking about those, I was talking about the first part directly linked.

quote:

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy confirms he's still significantly curtailing extra trips to deliver mail and overtime pay

I think im just uncomfortable with twitter and congressional hearings. The lack of context and immediacy of reporting obscures things and incentivises congress members to look tough instead of searching for the deep systemic problems.

Hearing that, I immediately had questions I have to go research to see whether it's a dunk such as:

Is the PMG permitted to overcommit funds?
If PMG did overcommit, would the federal employees be paid?
What is the process of requesting emergency funding for the Post Office?
Have changes to USC affected any of these processes in a way that pulled control from the PMG's hands?
What are legislative and executive roles in ensuring direction and funding is provided to the post office?

I can't know if that tweet was a dunk without knowing all of that, I dont have time to research it before work, but a lot of opinions will be formed without knowing any of that.

For the part that you referenced, I think that part is a lot more clear as a failing, provided the rank and file and data agree that sorting is more valuable than the equipment being used to replace it. Which seems likely.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

"Welcome back, this is Steven K. Bannon! We're off the coast of St Tropez in southern France in the med on the million dollar yacht of Brian Kolfage and uh, Brian Kolfage, he took all that money from Build The Wall. No, we're actually in Sundland Park, NM" is the direct quote

Thanks to both of you. I mean, people have been saying poo poo out loud for a while now and no one cares.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Notahippie posted:

Richard Paul Russo portrays it as kind of a frog boiling thing where things just steadily but slowly get worse and worse until we find ourselves living with a terminally diseased society, devastated coastlines and poison rain without remembering how we got there. I think that one’s my pet favorite.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Fallom posted:

Richard Paul Russo portrays it as kind of a frog boiling thing where things just steadily but slowly get worse and worse until we find ourselves living with a terminally diseased society, devastated coastlines and poison rain without remembering how we got there. I think that one’s my pet favorite.

Unfortunately, we're already living in that degraded state relative to even the 70s or 80s. This sort of degraded period will followed by some much more dynamic changes. There is only so much buffer in the system (be it faith in institutions, slack economic capacity, shared feeling of community/citizenship) and once we blow through enough buffers, the system is going to need to simplify dramatically across some dimensions in order to continue. That could be a collapse like the Civil War, or Britain losing its colonies, or an economic one like the fall of the Western Roman empire where the population drops by >50% over a generation.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Don't worry guys I'm sure the rich will stick around to right the ship they've invested so much in

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Loden Taylor posted:

Have there ever been two simultaneous TDs/hurricanes in the gulf like this before? What happens if they get close? How do these things interact?

In the Gulf, I’m not sure. I’ve never seen it in such a small area but usually there’s a few in the busy season that do weird stuff to each other in the Atlantic.

Their interaction is described by the Fujiwhara Effect. They can weaken each other with wind shear but sometimes they can steer each other or merge in weird ways.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujiwhara_effect

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

You can be my chief engineer, you're just not allowed to actually touch anything.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Godholio posted:

You can be my chief engineer, you're just not allowed to actually touch anything.

Let's amend that to not being on the boat and still collecting fat stacks and ill agree

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1296748645166047233?s=21

lol

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Yes it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Good news though,
https://twitter.com/SYDNEYRACHAEL_/status/1296880105998954497