Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sab669 posted:

And for the record I do fully support unionization

okay, how on earth do you square that with what you previously just said? if someone is unsatisfied with their working conditions they should just find another job but also unions are good? how do you think unions get formed in the first place??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

okay, how on earth do you square that with what you previously just said? if someone is unsatisfied with their working conditions they should just find another job but also unions are good? how do you think unions get formed in the first place??

Most unions sprawl past specific companies; look at United Auto Workers. It's not "Auto Workers of Chevy" or "Auto Workers of Toyota". I fully support the idea that all devs should band together and say gently caress off, but until that happens you need to personally be proactive. It doesn't need to be "Epic Programmers" who tell Tim to suck it.

I've been in IT for 8 years and have had 4 different jobs. Is job hunting a pain? Sure, but guess what buttercup I still do it. And no I'm not some "top brass" silicon valley "rock star" with a FAANG resume; I'm a C student who writes mediocre code for mediocre companies. There's nothing more I'd love to see than programmers, Q&A etc. all across the country banding together demand fair treatment - but that doesn't mean I have to stay at the same job and bemoan the working conditions while waiting for that to happen. You can do both.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

MMF Freeway posted:

Can't have Pinkerton strikebreakers beating up people who want decent work conditions without unions providing convenient targets.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sab669 posted:

Change My View: If you don't like working overtime, don't work there. If you've got Epic Games on your resume you can probably get hired anywhere - so again, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchem.

I remember watching the Joe Rogan episode with Hugo Martin (Doom Creative Director) and he talks about working 60+ hours a week and it's extremely plain to see that he's super passionate about the game. That passion is why he chooses to give up a significant amount of his personal time to dedicate to the project. I really feel like people just simply aren't honest with themselves, they lie and tell themselves, "Well I love playing video games, therefore I'm passionate about them and want to make games". Then they get duped into working overtime and complain about how unfair it is. But here's the thing: nobody is forcing you to work there. If it's so bad then quit and go find someone who respects your time better.

Like it's perfectly fine if you're not willing to put up with that, I've been worked lovely dev jobs wasting away my summer working overtime. I don't blame anyone for being unhappy working in those conditions. But I'm honestly so sick and tired of people acting like it's their ~only option~ to either work there or starve and die. We live in the age of information, it's not hard to find what working conditions will be like at these huge corporations. I see so many comments online like, "Oh 'passion' is just a buzzword for 'willing to be abused and work endless hours'" and fine, if that's your perspective you're entitled to it... But don't complain that the conditions are exactly what you expect when you get there, then. Don't waste your time and don't waste their time.

gently caress off, boomer

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sab669 posted:

but guess what buttercup I still do it.

Well that answers that question.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Most unions sprawl past specific companies; look at United Auto Workers. It's not "Auto Workers of Chevy" or "Auto Workers of Toyota". I fully support the idea that all devs should band together and say gently caress off, but until that happens you need to personally be proactive. It doesn't need to be "Epic Programmers" who tell Tim to suck it.

I've been in IT for 8 years and have had 4 different jobs. Is job hunting a pain? Sure, but guess what buttercup I still do it. And no I'm not some "top brass" silicon valley "rock star" with a FAANG resume; I'm a C student who writes mediocre code for mediocre companies. There's nothing more I'd love to see than programmers, Q&A etc. all across the country banding together demand fair treatment - but that doesn't mean I have to stay at the same job and bemoan the working conditions while waiting for that to happen. You can do both.

instead you bemoan the bemoaning, which is way more mature and constructive because

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

if you literally sound like an exploitative boss defending terrible working conditions, you're probably not that into unionisation to fight against them

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I see we're back to the hot takes segment in the Steam thread.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

joe rogan is a dumbshit and his podcast is dumb poo poo

having "passion" is exactly what capitalism is counting on to exploit

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

tencent owns 40% of epic so... well I guess it would be worse to donate to the CCP's gofundme

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-dartmoor/

quote:

With that in mind, we are pleased to confirm that PC players will be able to carryover their current progression and unlocks from HITMAN 2 on Steam into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. It will also be possible for PC players to import locations from the previous two games into HITMAN 3 on Epic Games Store. We want to make it a seamless process for our PC players to enjoy HITMAN 3 on a different PC platform and continue to enjoy the benefits of our World of Assassination.

From the Hitman/Epic store concerns a while back.

Also that Dartmoor mission looks like it's going to absolutely rule.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Aphex- posted:

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-dartmoor/

From the Hitman/Epic store concerns a while back.

so when hitman 4 comes around and releases on steam do you think epic will let that steam buyer access their hitman 3 purchase from egs? going to doubt it

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Aphex- posted:

They have ripped off Knives Out wholesale and it looks fantastic.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

so when hitman 4 comes around and releases on steam do you think epic will let that steam buyer access their hitman 3 purchase from egs? going to doubt it

there isn't going to be a hitman 4, it's confirmed to be a trilogy

hitman 2 and 3 maintained map compatibility because they're fundamentally map packs for 2016, but whatever comes next will probably be too different to carry the maps over

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Rain World devs released another teaser for whatever the hell they're making. Footage is basically just a loop the whole way through, so don't watch to the end solely in the hopes of something. The music god drat rules, though, so I've actually watched it like 5 times already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y5Cbu5q1aU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Sab669 posted:

Change My View: If you don't like working overtime, don't work there. If you've got Epic Games on your resume you can probably get hired anywhere - so again, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchem.

I remember watching the Joe Rogan episode with Hugo Martin (Doom Creative Director) and he talks about working 60+ hours a week and it's extremely plain to see that he's super passionate about the game. That passion is why he chooses to give up a significant amount of his personal time to dedicate to the project. I really feel like people just simply aren't honest with themselves, they lie and tell themselves, "Well I love playing video games, therefore I'm passionate about them and want to make games". Then they get duped into working overtime and complain about how unfair it is. But here's the thing: nobody is forcing you to work there. If it's so bad then quit and go find someone who respects your time better.

Like it's perfectly fine if you're not willing to put up with that, I've been worked lovely dev jobs wasting away my summer working overtime. I don't blame anyone for being unhappy working in those conditions. But I'm honestly so sick and tired of people acting like it's their ~only option~ to either work there or starve and die. We live in the age of information, it's not hard to find what working conditions will be like at these huge corporations. I see so many comments online like, "Oh 'passion' is just a buzzword for 'willing to be abused and work endless hours'" and fine, if that's your perspective you're entitled to it... But don't complain that the conditions are exactly what you expect when you get there, then. Don't waste your time and don't waste their time.

Just gonna revive this so I can call you actual human garbage lmao

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Externalities don't exist you fools. Just hate gently caress the supply demand curve until you get the good job, idiot.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
So Hitman 3 is NOT coming to Steam? Or is it yet another timed exclusive?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DoctorOfLawls posted:

So Hitman 3 is NOT coming to Steam? Or is it yet another timed exclusive?
It's a one-year exclusive, twelve months of exclusivity from launch. If you're willing to wait, you can just get it on Steam later. I think I'll be doing that, I just want to have the whole thing in one place. Plus, I haven't even finished all the mission stories for Hitman 1 yet.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Sab669 posted:

Ah yes, all those video games famously developed by children.
Starbound was made with unpaid child labor because the video game industry is garbage

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Sab669 posted:

Growing up, I've been taught that personal sacrifice for your work is worth it if you are passionate about it. Especially if you are getting compensation for it, and that someone else going through the same thing should be celebrated.

When did this all change in the videogame industry? I remember somebody at Rockstar bragging about the overtime for finishing Red Dead 2 and the article was met with backlash and the guy apologized. This feels pretty recent.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Growing up, I've been taught that personal sacrifice for your work is worth it if you are passionate about it. Especially if you are getting compensation for it, and that someone else going through the same thing should be celebrated.

Who benefits from your belief in that claim?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Volte posted:

Remnant is a great game and I'm glad I grabbed it for free on EGS. It's definitely worth the current sale price (40% off) on Steam right now. The only thing that struck me as super janky was the lip-sync, but I don't really care that much about that. Otherwise it's very polished and well-balanced. I only played it solo but I imagine it would be even better on co-op. I want to go through it again with a different loadout since I basically just upgraded my starter gear the entire game (repeater pistol and shotgun) while swapping the melee weapon out a few times. Remnant and The Surge 2 are now my two favourite "Souls-like" games.

Remnant is super fun, but after 11.5 hours I've only found one primary gun other than the one I started with.
From the look of it online, which bosses spawn in a playthrough (and thus which boss weapons you can get) is RNG, so I think I just got unlucky.

Oh well, the Coach Gun will be my baby forever.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

When did this all change in the videogame industry? I remember somebody at Rockstar bragging about the overtime for finishing Red Dead 2 and the article was met with backlash and the guy apologized. This feels pretty recent.
The problem is that the days of small teams of video game nerds wanting to make their own titles on a shoestring budget and making it big are long gone. The video game industry is a notoriously harsh environment with a very high turnover, enormous economic pressure being put on the workers from higher up, and a high chance of failure to sell even if you're doing your absolute best and working as hard as you can. It tends to breed an environment where anyone who doesn't put in at least two hours of unpaid overtime every day is considered to be slacking off, no matter how much they really care about the project from personal investment position.

Basically speaking, the videogame industry treats its workers as if everyone should be treating every single project as a passion project, all the time. There's very little tolerance for just wanting to put in your nine-to-five because you need to pay the bills somehow. It's an often really hostile environment and the burnout rates are incredibly high.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Remnant is super fun, but after 11.5 hours I've only found one primary gun other than the one I started with.
From the look of it online, which bosses spawn in a playthrough (and thus which boss weapons you can get) is RNG, so I think I just got unlucky.

You can reroll each individual world if you didn't get the bosses you wanted but about half of the bosses turn into guns and the other half turn into abilities so you really should have more than two.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bragging about OT is pretty weird and bad, yea.

All I'm saying is when half the reviews on glass door for a company say, "Warning: you will be punched in the dick" and the industry in general is known for punching its workers in the dick and the job posting even uses verbiage synonymous with "We'll punch you in the dick"... Maybe don't apply for the position, unless you want to be punched in the dick :shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sab669 posted:

All I'm saying is when half the reviews on glass door for a company say, "Warning: you will be punched in the dick" and the industry in general is known for punching its workers in the dick and the job posting even uses verbiage synonymous with "We'll punch you in the dick"... Maybe don't apply for the position, unless you want to be punched in the dick :shrug:

I mean ideally the games industry would not function as a meat grinder that takes valuable young talent who wants to work in their favorite hobby but hasn't actually looked into the reality of it and spits them out in 2-3 years as broken husks of people but that doesn't stop your takes from being wildly garbage.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

The problem is that the days of small teams of video game nerds wanting to make their own titles on a shoestring budget and making it big are long gone.

But that's simply not true lol. There are millions of Indie games available. It's literally never been easier to learn game design and development for free on your own time, and there's no shortage of successful indie titles to point to.

Obviously there's no guarantee of success, but that's the risk.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There's also an alternate way to kill each world boss, which gets you a different drop.
Really, you shouldn't be afraid to roll an Adventure or two.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sab669 posted:

But that's simply not true lol. There are millions of Indie games available. It's literally never been easier to learn game design and development for free on your own time, and there's no shortage of successful indie titles to point to.

Yes, you're right, what I meant to say is that they don't make up much of the market anymore the way they used to and they're just not the kind of work we're taking about here. The industry is very much industrialized now.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Sab669 posted:

Yes, it is the "making it big" part you quoted that doesn't happen anymore.

(Well, it still happens, but the days of "Getting on Steam guarantees your future success as an indie dev" are long gone.)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

crunch and exploitation absolutely happen in the indie space too

the devil engine guy still hasn't been paid any of the game's revenue

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Let us never forget Starbound

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

singateco posted:

Holy gently caress, Demoncrawl. How does one come up with this many mechanics for a minesweeper game? It's clearly designed by a madmen. I cannot stop playing it.

I am learning that I am terrible at Minesweeper. Someone link me to something that will teach me not to be an idiot at this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You probably already know this, but you can buy the other classes’ starting guns at the upgrade guy if you tab over, and all of them have their uses. Remnants gun balance is really good overall, there are certainly some weapons I think are worse than others (because they’re boss weapons with a preset weapon mod but I don’t think the mod is great), and some builds are better suited to multiplayer where you only need 1 player to take care of the all-important hunter’s mark mod, but pretty much everything has a build that will make it decent at the very worst

You can also get a sniper rifle on earth, guaranteed no matter how your campaign generated: go to the church where you defended root mom and go through the exit on the left instead of the right

And it’s not a long gun, but you can get an SMG in ward 13 barely any ways into the game: use the ward 13 keycard and fuse you find at the start of earth to get down to the bottom floor of the underground ward. After putting in the fuse to let you open a door with the keycard, go take the fuse back out. This shuts off a fan which lets you access a key. The key opens a locked door elsewhere in the underground ward where you find the SMG.

You can also get an Ancient Knowledge trait down there that increases exp gains, which you should get first thing in the game and max it out before anything else - if you play that character enough, it will eventually pay for itself

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sab669 posted:

I don't get it, you're not happy working at McDonald's, why aren't you just learning to code in your free time? Guess you really don't care about making life easier for yourself.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Fargin Icehole posted:

If you're genuinely passionate about the project and getting stiffed a chunk of pay because the employer can't afford to pay you more (or you are the employer or whatever), and you're capable of maintaining some work-life balance, fine. If you're being told to have the same level of "passion" for the project as an excuse for being stiffed hours of overtime, and that's the standard across the company that then goes on to fire 400 employees in their most successful fiscal quarter so the CEO's can have bigger numbers listed for their net worth, thennnn well this is kind of expanding beyond just the scope of videogames but you get the idea.

The RDR2 article was a point of controversy because bragging about the overtime, even if you are doing it out of passion, is kind of a bad look for a higher-up of a studio that has had repeated murmurings of horrible working conditions and stress casualties.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You're putting words in my mouth, I never said anything about people working multiple jobs / minimum wage - obviously that's a serious problem. My original post was saying that if you HAVE SKILLS and don't like your work environment then go somewhere else. Anyways I'll just stop responding now since most of you don't seem to be willing to have an actual discussion and are instead just saying "you're dumb and your opinion bad" which is not how you change someone's opinion lol

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sab669 posted:

Sab669 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's true that the state of the industry is well-known and if you get into it regardless, then you do so knowing what you're in for. The problem people are having is that what you're saying comes across a lot more as "yeah, well, everyone knows the video game industry is a meatgrinder, so maybe you should stop whining because that's just how it is."