Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

These things are pretty neat:

https://freewiretech.com/products/dc-boost-charger

Up to 120kW vehicle output with <30kW grid draw. 240V Split phase or 120Y208V grid connections. I'm surprised Tesla never installed things similar to this along remote highways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

McPhearson posted:

I just test drove an i3 and it was pretty nice. Love the interior, love the parking assist and features, but one thing drives me crazy, though; When playing video over Bluetooth the audio is not synced at all. There is easily a 1-2 second delay between what's happening on my phone's screen and the audio coming out of the speakers. I don't have that issue with the cheapo grom Bluetooth adapter in my current car, or with the Avic D3 I had in my really old car. My job has me on the road pretty often so when I'm out and about and on lunch or break I like to relax, sit in the air conditioned car, and watch some Netflix. I haven't had much experience with OEM Bluetooth, but is this normal?

So you're the guy Honda out the HDMI input for in their ev!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I probably spend 3 hours a week watching Plex on my Model 3's screen, sometimes I do it while plugged in a free public charger. EVs are perfect for 'idling' in.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I probably spend 3 hours a week watching Plex on my Model 3's screen, sometimes I do it while plugged in a free public charger. EVs are perfect for 'idling' in.

I have done the same thing at free public chargers in my area, except it was Netflix in my Model 3.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

These things are pretty neat:

https://freewiretech.com/products/dc-boost-charger

Up to 120kW vehicle output with <30kW grid draw. 240V Split phase or 120Y208V grid connections. I'm surprised Tesla never installed things similar to this along remote highways.

At least one of their heavy travel time pop up superchargers is megapack powered, so it's plausible that some permanent ones may be soon. This seems like a perfect option in the Midwest where they could double as grid storage for wind/solar generation out there

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MrPablo posted:

I have done the same thing at free public chargers in my area, except it was Netflix in my Model 3.

Yeah, it's great since there's no way I'm going to spend my lunch breaks inside restaurants.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I hadn't thought of that, but COVID-19 does kind of mess with the traditional "just grab lunch as you're charging on long trips" part of the EV narrative.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm surprised Tesla never installed things similar to this along remote highways.

Musk tweeted years ago (2016?) that Tesla was going to install battery packs and solar at every supercharger so people could charge even when the power is out. About 10 seconds of thought will show you the solar idea was never going to work, and batteries would be prohibitively expensive if you were going to handle up to 1,500 cars per day (that's what the V3 superchargers are supposed to be able to handle, I have no idea how many vehicles a station typically sees).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The whole "go have a meal while charging on road trips" is the stupidest EV argument ever. The food sucks and most people just want to drive when on road trips. At least when there is nothing more exciting than a service station restaurant.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

MomJeans420 posted:

Musk tweeted years ago (2016?) that Tesla was going to install battery packs and solar at every supercharger so people could charge even when the power is out. About 10 seconds of thought will show you the solar idea was never going to work, and batteries would be prohibitively expensive if you were going to handle up to 1,500 cars per day (that's what the V3 superchargers are supposed to be able to handle, I have no idea how many vehicles a station typically sees).

I wonder how cost of battery packs shakes out against outrageous fees for demand charges. Supposedly Tesla is going ahead with it for a few areas. Electrify America is doing the same. I remember seeing a like $1,200 fee for dcfc an e-tron during the middle of the day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrOnBicycle posted:

The whole "go have a meal while charging on road trips" is the stupidest EV argument ever. The food sucks and most people just want to drive when on road trips. At least when there is nothing more exciting than a service station restaurant.

you're supposed to take regular breaks on road trips etc, i would probably park and go for a little walk and a coffee or something

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrOnBicycle posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you're supposed to take regular breaks on road trips etc, i would probably park and go for a little walk and a coffee or something

The new V3 superchargers mean you basically get out, take a leak, get a coffee or a gatorade or whatever, and the car is ready to go again.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

The stations in the midwest will often go an entire day without seeing a single visitor, which is where those type of chargers will do great.

MrYenko posted:

The new V3 superchargers mean you basically get out, take a leak, get a coffee or a gatorade or whatever, and the car is ready to go again.

My family of 4 never have to wait for charging after restroom trips.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, 5 minutes. Not 30-40. Or even better, swap over driver, have a stretch and get going.
Faster charging in the future will be nice, but I always found the "sit in restaurant while charging" very far from the reality.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

Is this an EV argument or just something most people do naturally? We usually stop for bathroom breaks, to get a snack/coffee or just to see something interesting. I'm ready for a break every 5ish hours of driving just to stretch even.

30-40 minutes? I don't know maybe I've gotten lucky with the chargers we've stopped at but I can't say I've waited longer than 15. Generally speaking the car finishes charging before we've gotten back to it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

The Gunslinger posted:

Is this an EV argument or just something most people do naturally? We usually stop for bathroom breaks, to get a snack/coffee or just to see something interesting. I'm ready for a break every 5ish hours of driving just to stretch even.

30-40 minutes? I don't know maybe I've gotten lucky with the chargers we've stopped at but I can't say I've waited longer than 15. Generally speaking the car finishes charging before we've gotten back to it.

It was an early EV argument to justify the charging times. I mean sure I'll stop for longer times to charge while I'm visiting something interesting. Most of the time though it's just endless uninteresting stretches of autobahn etc where the rest stops are time warps back to the 80's with truck drivers with mullets. I'd rather get to my destination faster than stay at places like that. 30-40 minutes is mostly because of what it usually takes fast charging EVs to get to around 80%. I mean it's going to get better with time (and already has), but I for one wouldn't be stopping like that. A stretch is enough for me, which barely would justify the the it takes to plug in. If you factor in waiting for a charger to become free for 15 minutes it's just unbearable.

VVV: I guess YMMV, and maybe perceptions change when driving an EV.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 20, 2020

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Having drove from CA to CO to VA back to CO, etc, the charging isnt a problem at all, especially with the V3 SC’s. Plug it, take dogs to bathroom break, take my bathroom break, maybe buy some water, and maybe half the time watch a short youtube. With a LR M3 I only charge until I am about 5% over the required charge to the next stop. I cant say I’ve spent more than 20 minutes at a super charger (especially with more V3’s coming online) unless I’ve been in the Rockies and wanted to go exploring.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A different angle: Driving EVs are better for the environment than burning fossil fuels. In order to help minimize the impact of your road trip, just how little are you willing to sacrifice?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

At this point I really don't like straight shotting it anyway. In most places there's something to stop over at on the way or at least check out.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yeah, it's great since there's no way I'm going to spend my lunch breaks inside restaurants.

Yeah, me either. I should have been more clear that this was before the pandemic.

I haven't charged anywhere other than home or since early March.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At this point I really don't like straight shotting it anyway. In most places there's something to stop over at on the way or at least check out.

I think age is a factor here as well. When I was 21 I could definitely drive for 4-5 hours uninterrupted, but at 41 I need to take a break every couple of hours hours or my legs cramp up and I start to have trouble concentrating on the road.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Ola posted:

A different angle: Driving EVs are better for the environment than burning fossil fuels. In order to help minimize the impact of your road trip, just how little are you willing to sacrifice?

Also how much more convenient is home charging all the time you’re not on a road trip. I’ll take a charging stop a few times a year over a gas station every week.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sanchez posted:

Also how much more convenient is home charging all the time you’re not on a road trip. I’ll take a charging stop a few times a year over a gas station every week.

This. I had to put gas in my better half’s car recently, and realized it had been more than a year since I had been to a gas station for anything but coffee or junk food.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Just left my etron at the dealer because the tail lights stopped working. 800 miles on the clock.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

EV thread people: "can we just get some major manufacturers to compete with Tesla so we can get quality EVs?"

Audi: "check out my E-tron guyz!"

EV thread people: "no, not you"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MrYenko posted:

This. I had to put gas in my better half’s car recently, and realized it had been more than a year since I had been to a gas station for anything but coffee or junk food.

never going to a gas station again in my life sounds pretty awesome. i guess i would still have to go for the fun car though.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

never going to a gas station again in my life sounds pretty awesome. i guess i would still have to go for the fun car though.

Conveniently for you, I’ve seen tons of Superchargers attached to gas stations :toot:. Though these are Sheetz and WaWa’s so they are more “high class” than other conventional gas stations. I’m sure other DCFC companies have built their chargers around service stations.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

NitroSpazzz posted:

Any chance you remember what you did to get spotify to work in the i3? I've tried going through the BMW connected app, disabling the BMW app and everything else I can think of with no luck. One time I was able to get one song to play but as soon as that one ended it stopped working. Every other player works fine.

It started working after I updated my phone to the latest Android release at the time, which was late March this year, and I also installed the Android auto app at the same time. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.projection.gearhead

Neither one really makes any sense as to why it fixed it, but it has consistently worked fine since. Hope you can get it sorted, it frustrated the poo poo out of me at the time.

Edit: It still doesn't show in the connected drive apps or anything, but it does stream over Bluetooth as you would expect it to. I could never get the car to recognise the app through connecteddrive.

Mahatma-Squid fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 21, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ola posted:

A different angle: Just take the train.
Seriously though, it's just a very forced argument IMO.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 21, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

A different angle: Just take the train.

hello, i live in america

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

An EV doesn't meet my needs because I take a long road trip a few times a year is the same reasoning as I need a pickup because I go to Home Depot to buy some wood a few times a year. And, well, they sell plenty of pickup trucks.
EV pickups are gonna be like that two red buttons panic meme.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I think it's funny to frame it as an argument when it really just is how it goes: either your use case and tolerance for inconvenience makes mid-trip charge stops a deal breaker or not. But it also ignores the very important point that BEVs are objectively cool and good. It's like when I told my father my next car would be pure electric and he said a hybrid was more practical, basically sounding like the out of touch dad in an old Apple Jacks commercial.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Finger Prince posted:

An EV doesn't meet my needs because I take a long road trip a few times a year is the same reasoning as I need a pickup because I go to Home Depot to buy some wood a few times a year. And, well, they sell plenty of pickup trucks.
EV pickups are gonna be like that two red buttons panic meme.

Funny you mention this. I drove my Soul EV to Home Depot to rent a tree stump grinder and just rented an F250 from Home Depot for $19.95 to get it back and forth.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Don't get me wrong. I love EV's and would get one if there was a good option and I had a good way of charging. I just don't like the BS marketing. The best thing is to find a car that works for you. If you can afford the price hike of an EV and have the infrastructure to support it. Great. I would to that in a heartbeat as well. But cutting through the BS marketing and people justifying their consumerism is important as it could leave a ton of people unsatisfied and disappointed.
That's why I went a middle ground where I can do EV only sometimes and still have the petrol option if I have to.
My gues is that for most people who live in cites in apartments without dedicated parking and parking spaces with charges, an EV is not very realistic if the commute is longer than what a weeks worth of battery charge lasts. Myself, I don't even want to stop for fuel after work, let alone stop to charge at the current speeds.
Like I said, I love the idea of an EV, my also think that sometimes people really lose perceptive.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Elviscat posted:

EV thread people: "can we just get some major manufacturers to compete with Tesla so we can get quality EVs?"

Audi: "check out my E-tron guyz!"

EV thread people: "no, not starting at $80grand"

There you go.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Godholio posted:

There you go.
In June, Audi was leasing E-trons with a capitalized cost of $55,121 which is Model 3/Y pricing. It was an amazing deal.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
And that's still $20,000 more than the average new car sale in the US and out of reach of 80% of the country financially. I get that we're focusing on the EV thread's population specifically, but the e-tron is not the game changer anybody needs at all. Shoveling deep, short-term discounts to move undesired inventory that's been building up isn't going to push Tesla anywhere. If anything, it probably reinforces their idea that they're already doing it right.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

On the one hand the last thing any Audi needs is more electrical stuff to break, on the other hand this keeps their engineers from doing crazy things with timing chains

*edit*
I don't think Audi particularly cares about selling the etron in the US right now. It's the top selling EV SUV in the EU for 2020 though.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 21, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Why is it so important to give Tesla competition? I think we're still at the point where the interesting competition is anything EV vs anything not EV.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Elviscat posted:

I've got that drive at about 180mi round trip, is that right?

Can you charge at work?

The cars you listed, and I'll throw in the big-battery Leaf and Bolt too, since they'd be similar options, might be pushing it a bit if you can't charge at work, you don't get cold down there, but I'd factor in at least 10-20% range reduction for the high speed section of the 5, and battery degradation, so you'd be cutting it close.

If you can charge in LA, then all of those cars are perfectly fine, and you're being bombarded by Tesla Stans who don't get how EV range works.

All those cars will also be fine if they're equipped with DC fast charging, and you can hang out in LA for 30 minutes each commute, not the best thing for the batteries, but it'll be fine for a once a week commute, hell I could do it in my 107 mile rated Leaf.

Edit:
Oh no, hope you can find chargers on your route!

That map is editing out tons of charging stations due to display limits btw.

I’m staying at an apartment during the week and I believe I spied a charger in the garage. I figure I can slow charge at the house during the week and at least find some chargers in LA. There’s now decent lease deals on the Hyundai EV’s, the Ionic and the Kona.

I used my folding bike to get to and from the apartment during the week. The ride along the beach bike path is lovely.

Yesterday I drove back to Carlsbad in my Toyota and it took 3 hours for the 100 mile drive. A manual, no cruise control car is a pain in stop and go. Still it runs so well so I see no reason to get rid of that, it’s KBB value is about $1k :-)

The Kia Niro EV might be a option too, it’s larger and may be able to hold the bikes inside, abet slightly less range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hello, i live in america

Renting a car is probably more efficient than building a massive charging infrastructure with dubious local power sourcing though?