Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i guess he's decided that the throwaway power suit mercs are now recurring characters.

I really don't think this story needs more characters, especially since the good guys never die. and assuming the plot continues to expand on the webcomic, we have a dump truck full of even more new characters coming in the next arc or two.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Not to mention doing them right in the middle of a climactic boss battle

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It was better when they died IMO

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I do think this adds more interesting layers, and possibly foreshadowing to the story. That being said, I don't think it's worth it just considering the glacial pace this story is already moving.

Like, we're at this epic point where we are probably just a couple chapters away from an all out Battle Royale between the entire Hero Association and, what, 6 or 7 dragon-level threats? Thats all BEFORE the inevitable showdown with Garou...

I just want to see what happens next!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Finish the arc before you go back and revise things, Lucas!

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

RareAcumen posted:

Finish the arc before you go back and revise things, Lucas!

for real, redraw was pretty but come oooooooooooonnnnnnnnnn

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I just want more Garou

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Unfinish3d posted:

I just want more Garou

yes please :cry:

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
If it was deliberate trolling I would almost be impressed.

"Ok so we're going to go from an epic battle with a God-powered being who can slice apart the planet. Then after three weeks were going to show you that fight between the Disciples and that hair monster for the second time".

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It's not that I mind the redraws. Like I enjoyed every iteration of Bird Brain actually.

But like... gimme more Zombie Man if you really gotta go back or something.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I want my goddamn Zombieman vs Homeless Emperor fight! gently caress!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I feel like this is a good demonstration of how moving forward is difficult if you're too hung up on getting everything just right.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Totes

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, the re-redraw in hte middle of big fights is kinda-

*sees the two armored ladies knee a monsters face*

super good, keep it up, Murata.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure that panel alone is what made murata redraw

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, the re-redraw in hte middle of big fights is kinda-

*sees the two armored ladies knee a monsters face*

super good, keep it up, Murata.

Who designed the suits with giant heels like that?

God, the things you've gotta put up with to be a female superhero in this universe.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

It was better when they died IMO

originally their appearance followed a very clear theme. the mercs aren't heroes; they don't have the necessary resolve or insanity that drives heroes forward. none of the real poo poo that goes on in this setting can be solved by throwing chumps in power armor at it. that the hero org executives even tried demonstrated how ignorant they were. but then sweet mask got some focus in ONE's version, so him killing them was removed. and now murata is horny for ladies throwing big powerful kicks, so they can actually function perfectly well against monsters. heck, they are even better than most heroes!

it's a mess.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I wonder how many years we're out from saitama vs tatsumaki. people running into his unfathomable strength and being forced to reevaluate their outlook on life is easily the best facet of OPM.

you could axe 90% of the side characters and all the horniness and I'm pretty sure it'd be an improvement

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

bees x1000 posted:

you could axe 90% of the side characters and all the horniness and I'm pretty sure it'd be an improvement

When did the manga version first start to balloon out? It followed the webcomic pretty closely for a good while.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

When did the manga version first start to balloon out? It followed the webcomic pretty closely for a good while.

Tournament arc blindsiding everyone

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bees x1000 posted:

Honestly, pretty much yeah.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think there’s a lot of side characters but depending on your definition losing nearly all of them would suck bad, unless “side character” just means the named members of the Blizzard Group and not, like, Munen Rider and other people that had relevance a while ago but just occasionally do poo poo now.

Muruta could do with being slightly less thirsty tho, yeah.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
What side characters would you cut? They're all great.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

*Wishes on a monkey paw*

I wish Murata would draw One Punch Man!

*One of the fingers on the paw lowers, then raises back up, then lowers again, this time with big boobies on it. This repeats for eternity.*

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

graham cracker posted:

*Wishes on a monkey paw*

I wish Murata would draw One Punch Man!

*One of the fingers on the paw lowers, then raises back up, then lowers again, this time with big boobies on it. This repeats for eternity.*

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
20 years later, One Punch Man is finished and people have the full series as their collection. A tweet from Murata appears:

"I just finished redrawing the first chapter to better show the Vaccineman fight".

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

What side characters would you cut? They're all great.

Puri puri prisoner is worthless garbage that makes me cringe every time he appears.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Ok I'll grant you him, although even he has been involved in some pretty great moments, but a core part of the setting is making the heroes and villains mundane. Anytime a new idiot is introduced and then defeated in 4 pages it's a treat.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
It's fitting with the themes of One Punch Man that the only force strong enough to hold back the universe's horniest and most powerful mangaka.... is himself.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Eeepies posted:

20 years later, One Punch Man is finished and people have the full series as their collection. A tweet from Murata appears:

"I just finished redrawing the first chapter to better show the Vaccineman fight".

Also now he's the protagonist.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
some people like tight narratives with jokes. some people like 100 page chapters that are thinly veiled excuses for murata to draw a sexy track girl squashing a watermelon between her thighs. heck, i think they both might have some merit

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I wouldn't cut any of the villains except for that cringy bondage ladymonster. They show up and are usually quickly defeated, so they don't add to the bloat.

As for good/neutral characters, off the top of my head I like:

saitama
genos
king
mumen rider
zombieman
silverfang
metal bat
jackolantern panic
tatsumaki
watchdog man
garou
the new eyeball monster

it goes on. OPM has a lot of likeable characters. but do we really need flashy flash when we've already got sonic? drive knight and metal knight and child emperor all filling a similar space? does there have to be an entire team of tanktops? did silverfang need a brother? did we need the tournament arc? etc..

outside of PPP, none of this is bad in a vacuum. there's simply too much, IMO

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 22, 2020

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
PuriPuri really just needs his initial intro cut/rewritten. It was written by a much younger ONE, who probably wouldn't have the same 'joke' if he did it today. Keep the same beats by have him being in prison to redeem those around him and hang out with his scarf-knitting boyfriend.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Keep Mizuki and in fact make the comic about her and her toned body as she competes in various sports

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
ONE for some reason doesn't have a lot of girl characters in his works despite being totally capable of writing them really well.

Murata being horny enough to make ONE make more girl characters just so Murata has something to draw is a good thing, IMO.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Gologle posted:

Keep Mizuki and in fact make the comic about her and her toned body as she competes in various sports

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gologle posted:

yeah baby

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I just want a crossover colab one-shot featuring Mizuki with Miriko. (Maybe Noi too?)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Big Leg posted:

some people like tight narratives with jokes. some people like 100 page chapters that are thinly veiled excuses for murata to draw a sexy track girl squashing a watermelon between her thighs. heck, i think they both might have some merit

This is a powerful username/post combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Elfface posted:

PuriPuri really just needs his initial intro cut/rewritten. It was written by a much younger ONE, who probably wouldn't have the same 'joke' if he did it today.

This reads like massive projection