Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Clowns would technically be Kaijin, such as Matangos, Kamen Rider monsters, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

I'm imaging one of those alignment charts but for kaiju fans. The axes being size and shape,

Have there been that many takes on Guiron?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Man I don't want to be negative but I don't expect this to be a good movie

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1296263401648336896?s=20

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gripweed posted:

Man I don't want to be negative but I don't expect this to be a good movie

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1296263401648336896?s=20

looks like Ziltoid cut his hair off

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I was thinking shape would be whether or not something was monstrous. Godzilla, classic monster shape. Clowns are humanoid but made monstrous through strange clothes and prosthetic makeup. So a size rebel shape neutral person would call a clown a kaiju.

I suppose the real size and shape rebel says the car from Christine is a kaiju

Both Jaws and the bad truck from "Duel" are kaiju.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You guys are experts, so: is Nancy Archer, aka The 50 Foot Woman, a kaiju? Is there inherently bad connotation to calling her that?

I'm putting together a series of prints featuring kaiju and various Austin landmarks and thought about having her attack the TX Capitol because, honestly, they have it coming. But I don't want it to cross over into some misogynistic crap either.

My wife likes the idea, for what it's worth, esp. if I can get enough detail to show one of the more notorious legislative shitheels being crushed in her hand.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Ill admit its an appealing visual- but specifically a kaiju? That tends to mean negative or at least inhuman creatures correct me if im wrong.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Grape Ape is a kaiju.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Clifford the Big Red Dog is a kaiju

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Just Offscreen posted:

Ill admit its an appealing visual- but specifically a kaiju? That tends to mean negative or at least inhuman creatures correct me if im wrong.

Exactly what I'm wrestling with. Names matter, and I don't want to help shitheads' causes. Even if my prints are only seen by a few dozen people.

I can absolutely treat her as a separate subject. On one hand I have the kaiju (so far Godzilla is done and King Kong, Ghidorah, the Kraken, Stay Puft man are WIP), and as a standalone there's Nancy. It's just that there's an unavoidable visual similarity.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

It's a tough one for sure- but in my personal definition when I hear Kaiju I may not think strictly anything good or evil, but definately nonhuman or animal.

So if you go with that then I wouldn't count her as one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kaiju means strange beast. It is inherently inhuman by definition.

Glen from The Colossal Man is not a kaiju, he's just a man who has grown to enormous size and suffers for it.

Glen from the sequel the Colossal Beast, on the other hand, is arguably a kaiju. His humanity has been stripped from him and even his appearance is more beastly, having lost so much of his face. It's still a borderline case though.

Nancy is a giant, not a kaiju.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If you had asked me if The 50 Foot Woman or The Colossal Man were giant monster flicks, I'd say yes even though both characters were human.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think the key distinction is that a Kaiju is a non-human. Giants, and giant creatures, have existed in mythology for tens of thousands of years. Australian Indigenous culture stretches back to the Dreamtime, which is really rich with stories of giant people and large creatures.

Some of the creation myths (keep in mind that Indigenous culture is not monolithic - there's 200+ very different cultures, really) revolve around a huge rainbow serpent : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Serpent, while other regions have paintings and stories revolving around creatures / charcters (some are sentient, some aren't, sometimes it's a mix) like Bunjil https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunjil which is most similar to a giant eagle.

I don't think it'd be appropriate to call them Kaiju - it'd be very offensive to some people, I suspect - but their behavior is similar in some stories. My point is that "giant creature with an agenda" is a tale that dates back to long, long before our current century. Humans love to imagine giant creatures!

What makes a giant creature a Kaiju, in my opinion is the size being greater than say, 10 metres and that they're elevated from being a regular giant animal in intellect or origin. I don't think the giant squid is a Kaiju, but a Kraken is.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

If you had asked me if The 50 Foot Woman or The Colossal Man were giant monster flicks, I'd say yes even though both characters were human.

Oh, they're giant monster movies. Giants are giant monsters.

It's just that they wouldn't be called kaiju. Not all giant monster movies are kaiju films.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Just had a flashback to playing this in an arcade as a kid, for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTLvR0JoDq8

I seem to recall it handing out a ridiculous amount of tickets for what it was.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

parrots are kaiju

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

Just had a flashback to playing this in an arcade as a kid, for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTLvR0JoDq8

I seem to recall it handing out a ridiculous amount of tickets for what it was.

...I want that in my room.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shiroc posted:

That's pretty true of a lot of the movies though. The kaiju are very rarely not allegories or metaphors unless you get into ones like Godzilla vs. Megalon which is still more gay couplings than about monsters fighting.

It’s really more the reverse.

People often erroneously say that Godzilla himself ‘is’ the atomic bomb, or represents the atomic bomb - but the 1954 film is very clear that Godzilla is a minor Shinto diety who represents the fish harvest. (Godzilla’s even specifically destroyed by killing off all the fish in the bay.)

And, you know, I daresay that most people don’t give a poo poo about that aspect of the character, because Godzilla - the creature- is ‘just’ some prehistoric thing that happens to share traits with the fictional diety. He doesn’t really ‘represent’ anything except maybe a blind, destructive impulse. The fish story is just one village’s attempt at explaining him.

What Godzilla does mirror is the relationship stuff, with the war-scarred Serizawa building superweapons in his basement lab and pursuing a woman who doesn’t love him, etc. And the same is true of pretty much every Kaiju film: Gorgo is a Norse dragon who is renamed after a Greek sea-demon... but those aspects of the plot aren’t terribly relevant, as he really comes to embody the protagonists’ anxieties over parenthood.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m not usually a militant Subs Over Dubs guy, but the Shin dub is just terrible because it ruins a ton of the dry humor with godawful line deliveries. Just watch it with subs.

man dubbing over the japanese-american lady's terrible phonetic english would be...i'm not sure if it's good or bad, actually

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts re: 50 Foot Woman!

To bring it back to the topic just before I derailed the thread, I got a 64 'zilla figure for my birthday:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He's a big gorgeous baby boy isn't he

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The live action AoT? I haven't seen it and I hear it's loving terrible but I do want to watch it since the effects were done by Higuchi Shinji, from the Heisei Gamera films, Shin Godzilla, the upcoming Shin Ultraman, etc. so yeah it's kaiju in a way.

I've heard it's... visually interesting to watch in places (although hampered by being big budget for Japan but not for the US) but, yeah, kind of terrible in all respects.

Burkion posted:

Glen from The Colossal Man is not a kaiju, he's just a man who has grown to enormous size and suffers for it.

"What sin could a man commit in a single lifetime..."

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I rewatched Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966) yesterday and I've got to say I think it's one of the most underrated entries in the Godzilla series. Almost, everything about it is awesome. I love Ishiro Honda as much as the next person, but when watching the series in order, the arrival of Jun Fukuda gives the series a bit of a shot in the arm. He brings a jazzier, looser, slightly anarchic and counter-cultural vibe that is very different from what Honda was doing. I love how the story is comparatively low stakes; no world or Japan hanging in the balance, just a fixed location and a simple clear-cut human conflict. The human characters are fun and likeable, and have a level of good natured bufoonery thst ends with them being maybe the most heroic characters across the series, electing to risk their lives to save the infant islanders from slave labour.

Godzilla's introduction in the film is one of my favourites, the characters discovering him asleep, revealed by individual shots of his plates, hands and finally whole body is a very cool moment. Them waking him up and his tearing his way out of a mountain is deeply, profoundly dope and yes, he does look a little ropey, but, it's one of Nakajima's best performances I think, he gives Godzilla a lot of irritated character in this. The scene where Godzilla is curious about Daiyo is also very interesting; I know it is a holdover from when the film was initially meant to star King Kong but, I think - and this is a bit head-canony - it can actually be read as part of Godzilla's arc into full super-hero. At this point in the series Godzilla is at a sort of anti-hero stage, he has fought against Ghidorah (twice) but is still feared and considered a threat and has a somewhat antagonistic relationship with humanity, but when he sees Daiyo it is first time he realises and considers a human as worthy of empathy. He's typically associated them with planes, tanks and nuclear weapons which hurt, but now he just sees a tiny scared figure and his reaction is of curiosity and confusion, almost like he is seeing a human for the first time as an individual fearing for their life as opposed to a swarm of pests polluting the earth. This whole philosophical process is taxing on poor Godzilla's brain so he falls asleep, but it sets the seed in him to become full blown defender of humanity in later entries.

I also love how the series now exists in a world where monsters are just a part of life. Where do Ebirah and Giant Condor come from? Doesn't matter, they're just out there in the Pacific. The implication is that all the uncharted islands in the deep ocean may be riddled with monsters, and that it's just a part of the world's ecosystem. Ebirah is a great creation, his first appearance in a storm is one of the most authentic special effects sequences from the Showa series, and the monster action hits the right level between excitement, coolness and utter lunacy. Godzilla's fight with the planes has a kinetic feel to it, one shot of a crash-zoom of a plane as it is destroyed by Godzilla's tail is incredible, and the action editing is really dynamic. I've been watching some Gamera Showa entries recently and the editing in those is so sedate making the silly action seem kind of boring, the sequences in the Godzilla by contrast are incredibly exciting to watch as they know how to keep a bubbling top level of excitement with the cutting.

Also, Giant Conder is the best, that bird tried his luck and it didn't pan out but respect fam. RIP.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Mothra slapping Godzilla's poo poo and him just letting it go while she plays air-rescue for the humans is also a neat little character moment, if we're reading into Godzilla's evolution into straight up hero.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Bringing Fukuda in was definitely about trying to capture a more youthful energy and get more of the teenage audience, and it makes for some fun times. Honda's style is one of elegantly managed chaos, Fukuda is more frenzied. It's a fun movie, particularly for kids, it works on their level.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Karloff posted:

Godzilla's introduction in the film is one of my favourites, the characters discovering him asleep, revealed by individual shots of his plates, hands and finally whole body is a very cool moment.

Ebirah goes hard on the sleep imagery. You have the the dance marathon at the start (the participants collapsing from exhaustion), the cast falling asleep on a yacht only to wake up at a fantasy island, the stranded heroes trying to wake Godzilla while the enslaved natives pray to wake Mothra, the blue goo that keeps Ebirah pacified (effectively asleep).

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I just got the arrow video Gamera box set and sweet loving Chtisr it’s beautiful if you’ve been thinking about picking it up you absolutely should.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Gaz2k21 posted:

I just got the arrow video Gamera box set and sweet loving Chtisr it’s beautiful if you’ve been thinking about picking it up you absolutely should.

It's sold out everywhere as far as I can tell.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Karloff posted:

Godzilla's fight with the planes has a kinetic feel to it, one shot of a crash-zoom of a plane as it is destroyed by Godzilla's tail is incredible, and the action editing is really dynamic.

I love the fight with the planes in Ebirah. Godzilla is so obviously enjoying himself that it's hard not to be on his side for the rest of the film, or the series really. It's a great bit of characterization that elevates the whole film.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched Ebirah yesterday myself and I liked it a lot better than when I first saw it. It’s got such a graphic novel adventure vibe going on, like a goofier Tintin or something.

Did they even really describe what Red Bamboo was or what they were trying to accomplish?

Is this also the most mobile Godzilla in the Showa series? I don’t remember him bending down to pick up stuff or sitting on his tail(!) in other movies.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Ebirah is great and has one of my favourite human plots of the later Showa-era. It's fast, it's charming and it knows it's absurd but doesn't give a gently caress.

Helps that the soundtrack is loving great. I mean, listen to this. This is a film that has Godzilla fighting planes and monsters while listening to beach rock, shot in much the same way another film might depict surfing or volleyball. It's a great one-off adventure and I wish they had more films made with this kind of formula. Would also be one of the few films that I could see working in a straight up video game adaptation, like a more lighthearted Far Cry.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

I watched Ebirah yesterday myself and I liked it a lot better than when I first saw it. It’s got such a graphic novel adventure vibe going on, like a goofier Tintin or something.

Did they even really describe what Red Bamboo was or what they were trying to accomplish?

Is this also the most mobile Godzilla in the Showa series? I don’t remember him bending down to pick up stuff or sitting on his tail(!) in other movies.

It was the Sixties, you could just have evil criminal organizations that existed to do evil. (Mainly because it was preferable to evoking actual geopolitical conflicts which were now divisive.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Maxwell Lord posted:

It was the Sixties, you could just have evil criminal organizations that existed to do evil. (Mainly because it was preferable to evoking actual geopolitical conflicts which were now divisive.)

With a name like Red Bamboo, it ain't exactly hard to guess who they're meant to invoke.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/857Z5jV.png

My now complete I guess NECA Godzilla collection. I focused only on the main suits/molds that they made, which ended up being 10 total.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Burkion posted:

My now complete I guess NECA Godzilla collection. I focused only on the main suits/molds that they made, which ended up being 10 total.

Me too. What's the Jason in the back?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Me too. What's the Jason in the back?

Mezco Cinema of Fear Part 7 Jason. He's got a little baby NECA Part 3 Jason hanging out with him

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Burkion posted:

How long have you spent having Gipsy Danger fight Godzilla(s) and Rodan only to then team up against the real enemy, Giant Jason/ED-209? I'd have clocked about 400 hours by now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

How long have you spent having Gipsy Danger fight Godzilla(s) and Rodan only to then team up against the real enemy, Giant Jason/ED-209? I'd have clocked about 400 hours by now.

You have no idea how much fun it is having Gipsy and ED 209 hanging out all the time.

She's an awkward size, way taller than the Zilla family, smaller than the big boys, she basically stands on her own all the time.

There's also a Megazord below them on the other shelf he hangs out with the smaller kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbf shin Godzilla could be replaced with like, a flood or even a nebulaous budget crisis and the core drama of the movie would be unchanged. It's only a kaiju movie in the sense that a giant monster is in it

Except a budget crisis would be unlikely to explode all the ranking politicians in the country in an all-encompassing plague of lasers.

(Similarly, a flood would be unlikely to make the USA drop an atomic bomb on Tokyo.)

Shin's plot only works because it's an unprecedented crisis that (eventually) leaves the mavericks and oddballs in charge thanks to everyone else dying. Poor handling of a standard crisis is what the film is parodying, but the exaggeration and unique impact of a giant monster is necessary for the core drama to work.

As for the genre discussion, Attack on Titan is a mech anime, but the live action version is a Kaiju movie. In both, though, Titans have intentionally grotesque appearances so that even if they're intelligent, they feel inhuman, so that even the ones based on real people have enough monstrous elements you say "Oh, giant monster" rather than "Why isn't Brock Lesnar wearing pants?"

As for the movie and the show, although both have titan shifters as a key plot element, they're used differently. In the anime, Titans are steadily moved towards being a military weapon. All Titans in the setting were created intentionally, and the historic atrocities are revealed as one nation using them against another, not a natural occurrence or an accident of mad science.

Titan Shifters aren't monsters, really. They're flesh-mechs, working for the Not!Germans against their enemies. It's one group of humans against another, with Titans merely acting as the medium.

The film, meanwhile, has Titans as an accident. Science went wrong, and the apocalypse happened. Shifters aren't part of a military with specific doctrines for their use developed over centuries, but lone figures, each one with a different plan for the future, independent of any chain of command.