Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

at what point in flight training do pilots all manage to pick up the same voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ethanol posted:

at what point in flight training do pilots all manage to pick up the same voice

as soon as you start making your own radio calls, and want to sound like a cool person who knows what they're doing rather than a total rookie

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

its all based off that first guy in 1940 who sounded totally badass to everybody else

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
also i just noticed that all the scenario data is in a package called "scenarii" so i'm not sure i can give this game a 10/10 any more

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

explosivo posted:

Seriously though gently caress whoever came up with the manual cache interface. I assume they did it this way because it's real easy to inflate the file size if you cache too much high quality data but there's got to be a better way to do it. Unless I'm missing something it doesn't even give you rough waypoints of where cities are, it just kinda centers the camera on what you search for.
I reserved 50GB for my high quality manual caching.

Total size of Greater London's cache, which took about 15 minutes to paint on the interface: 1MB.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

cmpterjones posted:

(Approach Plates)

This is an extremely good post, thank you for posting it. I learned a huge amount from it and it's actually a lot simpler than I expected.

One minor question though, did you mean to say RVR should be multiplied by 10 (not 100) to give a value in feet? The explanation doesn't really make sense otherwise.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SuperTeeJay posted:

Total size of Greater London's cache, which took about 15 minutes to paint on the interface: 1MB.

London isn't photogrammetry is it? My hometown is and I did high quality for it and it's 4 gigs.

Also, I've given up on my amazon order. I don't think they ever shipped anything and just automatically created an amazon tracking number out of nothing. I did a chat last night and they guy said "it might have been lost or stolen, but I've rescheduled it for monday." I doubt that will happen so I just ordered from mypilotstore.com. They are backordered but it says things should ship out on the 26th, so maybe I'll actually get a product out of this transaction. Just have to spend 50 dollars more.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

vanisher posted:

For some reason with my ancient Saitek AV8R I can't just move the thing or push the button I want to map controls, I have to guess what button numbers in game are the buttons on the thing.

Can't do that with my Warthog either, but there's usually button number diagrams floating around for most devices.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SuperTeeJay posted:

Hah, yeah I tried doing the whole greater Philadelphia area with high quality and it was ~35GB or something like that

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It doesn't do anything when you click in the search box and hit a button?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

ethanol posted:

its all based off that first guy in 1940 who sounded totally badass to everybody else

I have heard that the Pilot Voice is an imitation of Chuck Yeager's actual deep drawly voice, yeah. Not sure if that's just apocryphal but it's a cute idea

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Trying to figure out how feasible it is to learn the AP systems well enough that I can fly some jobs during the day while working my real job on the side what is wrong with me

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems like the game hates loading into busy areas/airports, because that's when the loading times get insane.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

explosivo posted:

Trying to figure out how feasible it is to learn the AP systems well enough that I can fly some jobs during the day while working my real job on the side what is wrong with me

better time spent would be finding a way to autopilot the real job instead

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Are they ever going to add multiplayer coop support? Having a friend actually being a copilot and being able to adjust trim or mess with the nav console would be great. Or mic support for when you wanna talk normally rather than using the ingame ATC options.

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

That was pretty much why I learned how to use it. Made grinding money for a plane in FSE actually tolerable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Qubee posted:

Are they ever going to add multiplayer coop support? Having a friend actually being a copilot and being able to adjust trim or mess with the nav console would be great. Or mic support for when you wanna talk normally rather than using the ingame ATC options.

They've said it's in the cards but there's no specific timeline yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Playing catch in tube liners is time consuming.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Man all you people with your "landings" and "takeoffs" and "flying competently" and I'm just over here in my happy place spending hours flying over random mountain ranges in Japan with my Xbox controller

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man all you people with your "landings" and "takeoffs" and "flying competently" and I'm just over here in my happy place spending hours flying over random mountain ranges in Japan with my Xbox controller

Same. I really would like to try this onair thing though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

soggybagel posted:

Apologies for asking again because I clearly now see the golf course. It’s literally a 1 minute flight from the airport after turnaround but I cannot get it to tick off as I fly over it and the club itself. Is there any specific heading I needed to be on? I just want to “complete” this and be done with it and so far I’m just confused.

You may have already figured this out, but here's a post for anyone who's having trouble:

There is indeed a golf course (Pine Canyon Club) right off the end of the Flagstaff airport runway, but that's not the one you want. You want the one down in Mund Park. Arizona is full of old people and therefore full of golf courses.

When you start the training session, it should be showing the NAVLOG window. This shows that you have two waypoints: #1 is the golf course, #2 is the Sedona airport.

Note the heading for the first point (163 degrees) and the ETE (6 minutes, 49 seconds). This means that if you leave from the Flagstaff airport on a heading of 163 degrees, you should reach that point in just under 7 minutes.

So take off, and (this is important) once you're up a bit, turn around and get yourself over the airport again. Now, just turn until your heading is 163 degrees and start cruising. Click "Start" at the bottom of the NAVLOG window to start your stopwatch. (yes I know I'm not quite pointing 163 degrees, sue me)

After 6 minutes or so, you should see the golf course ahead--it's huge, hard to miss, which is why it is used as a navigation point. Once you're over the golf course, you'll turn to 221 degrees, reset your stopwatch, and fly another 5 minutes or so to Sedona.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
Fake plane goons: should I get more RAM?

I've got 16gb with my ryzen 2700x and 1660ti. Game is on SSD and runs alright; not noticeable FPS gently caress ups and the game uses about 8gb of my current memory. Would the additional RAM make a significant change to my experience? I'm thinking no, but then again, 32gb purchase isn't too pricey... not sure there is anything else worth upgrading before just going for a new build?

Aside from buying it for this, the only other reason to get it would be for GIS work for my job... do I shell out 130 quid for RAM just to fly fake planes??

Pogue_Mahone fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 21, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Finally caught up with that guy. Goddamn elephant race.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Rotten Red Rod posted:

this is the way to do it. i bought the game last night, took off from the local airport, and proceeded to give all my out-of-town friends a virtual tour by air. next stop, angola, congo, and taganyika!
does anyone know why my plane keeps pitching up when i take my hands off the stick? it'll go into a vertical climb pretty quickly if i take my hands off the stick. is it a weight balance thing? do i need to gently caress with the trim? assume i'm a complete rookie, i don't even know how to lower my flaps at this point so it's probably something hella basic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Finally caught up with that guy. Goddamn elephant race.

Is there a system in place where people will be able to make their own liveries and they'll be visible to everyone else?

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Sapozhnik posted:

This is an extremely good post, thank you for posting it. I learned a huge amount from it and it's actually a lot simpler than I expected.

One minor question though, did you mean to say RVR should be multiplied by 10 (not 100) to give a value in feet? The explanation doesn't really make sense otherwise.

Big oof, yeah, I fixed it now. More about RVR: https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/weather/how-runway-visual-range-rvr-works/

EDIT again: Yeah as in no, 40 x 100, or 4000'.

Gomez Chamberlain fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 21, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

<altitude stuff>

Great post, thanks.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

MikeJF posted:

Is there a system in place where people will be able to make their own liveries and they'll be visible to everyone else?

Thank you for flying Goat Airlines, our destination is christmas island

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Quoting this and I can do this later if no one helps you out first. I'd actually enjoy a VFR around here - I've got relatives closer to St. Augustine but haven't flown north to the Jax beach area yet, only tooled around near Augustine.

I'd love to see any of your flight time around jax beach. You're awesome, thank you!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Radio Free Kobold posted:

this is the way to do it. i bought the game last night, took off from the local airport, and proceeded to give all my out-of-town friends a virtual tour by air. next stop, angola, congo, and taganyika!
does anyone know why my plane keeps pitching up when i take my hands off the stick? it'll go into a vertical climb pretty quickly if i take my hands off the stick. is it a weight balance thing? do i need to gently caress with the trim? assume i'm a complete rookie, i don't even know how to lower my flaps at this point so it's probably something hella basic.

From one newbie to another, yeah, it seems like the trim. If you have an Xbox controller hold Y and press up and down on the D-pad to adjust it. Different planes are affected by it differently, I finally settled on one of the turboprops being really easy to control and just glide along.

It might also be wind but I have no idea how to check that or what to do about it

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 21, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

This is exactly what trim is for, yeah. The exact attitude the plane "wants to" settle at depends on a whole bunch of factors that change over the course of the flight, so you have movable trim tabs on the elevators that push them around and ensure the whole plane wants to settle at the attitude the pilot wants it to settle at.

It's not just for flying straight either - if you have a long boring climb, you'll often want to adjust your trim to hold the climb attitude rather than pulling on your stick the whole way up. (That's in the real world - trimming in the sim is way more of a pain than real life, and also the forces on the stick are really weak so TBH you probably do just put up with holding the stick back the whole way up).

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i feel like i need a quick-reference image for my keyboard controls. having to open up the menus to find the one button i need to push is crap.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Jabor posted:

This is exactly what trim is for, yeah. The exact attitude the plane "wants to" settle at depends on a whole bunch of factors that change over the course of the flight, so you have movable trim tabs on the elevators that push them around and ensure the whole plane wants to settle at the attitude the pilot wants it to settle at.

It's not just for flying straight either - if you have a long boring climb, you'll often want to adjust your trim to hold the climb attitude rather than pulling on your stick the whole way up. (That's in the real world - trimming in the sim is way more of a pain than real life, and also the forces on the stick are really weak so TBH you probably do just put up with holding the stick back the whole way up).

climbing is for weiners, if you are anywhere above 1000ft AGL you are doing it wrong

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Pham Nuwen posted:

You may have already figured this out, but here's a post for anyone who's having trouble:

There is indeed a golf course (Pine Canyon Club) right off the end of the Flagstaff airport runway, but that's not the one you want. You want the one down in Mund Park. Arizona is full of old people and therefore full of golf courses.

When you start the training session, it should be showing the NAVLOG window. This shows that you have two waypoints: #1 is the golf course, #2 is the Sedona airport.

Note the heading for the first point (163 degrees) and the ETE (6 minutes, 49 seconds). This means that if you leave from the Flagstaff airport on a heading of 163 degrees, you should reach that point in just under 7 minutes.

So take off, and (this is important) once you're up a bit, turn around and get yourself over the airport again. Now, just turn until your heading is 163 degrees and start cruising. Click "Start" at the bottom of the NAVLOG window to start your stopwatch. (yes I know I'm not quite pointing 163 degrees, sue me)

After 6 minutes or so, you should see the golf course ahead--it's huge, hard to miss, which is why it is used as a navigation point. Once you're over the golf course, you'll turn to 221 degrees, reset your stopwatch, and fly another 5 minutes or so to Sedona.

On the other hand, if you have the POI assist enabled then there's a giant marker in the sky above the golf course which makes it trivially easy. For the airport objective afterwards, the instructor mentions following the highway but with the POI marker on you can fly straight there.

I've tried that mission a few times but it kept crashing. It's the only place I've experienced an issue with this game so hopefully I can get it to work.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Flying over an endless sea of suburbs in Colorado and Jesus Christ America is loving depressing

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

climbing is for weiners, if you are anywhere above 1000ft AGL you are doing it wrong

On that note where do I go to turn off the warnings about being overspeed when under 10k feet because I don't GAF

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Teeter posted:

On the other hand, if you have the POI assist enabled then there's a giant marker in the sky above the golf course which makes it trivially easy. For the airport objective afterwards, the instructor mentions following the highway but with the POI marker on you can fly straight there.

I've tried that mission a few times but it kept crashing. It's the only place I've experienced an issue with this game so hopefully I can get it to work.

I found that the first navigation training had POI markers showing, but the "solo navigation" one didn't. Maybe I had changed settings in between, I guess I'd assumed that was how it was supposed to happen.

If you do the video game thing during the first nav lesson and just point your nose at each successive marker, you might miss that you're supposed to be learning about getting over the airport & setting up your heading to get to the next point.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Pham Nuwen posted:

I found that the first navigation training had POI markers showing, but the "solo navigation" one didn't. Maybe I had changed settings in between, I guess I'd assumed that was how it was supposed to happen.

If you do the video game thing during the first nav lesson and just point your nose at each successive marker, you might miss that you're supposed to be learning about getting over the airport & setting up your heading to get to the next point.

Oh yeah you've gotta be right. First there was a mission that taught traffic patterns, then the mission immediately afterwards is a "solo flight" that does the exact same thing but without markers.

I did the first nav mission which had a POI marker for Mund but never moved on to do the final tutorial mission because it kept crashing on me. Makes sense that the final tutorial afterwards follows the same pattern of being the exact same mission but now without markers.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Does anyone have any good settings/tips/whatever for using FaceTrackNoIR with a PS3 Eye camera (facetracking, no IR)? I got one today (ordered it a day or two ago on ebay and came overnight, amazing) and briefly set it up and gave it a try over NYC and it was beautiful.

I've got the basics of it down (had to invert a few axes and mess with the curves) so I can reliably look around mid-flight, but I'll have to iron out some kinks, it seems a bit too sensitive and has little or no deadzone so I have to concentrate on keeping my head very stable when I want to do something like disable autopilot. I want to get it to a state where I can operate the controls in-cockpit pretty easily without having to disable the tracking and switch to fixed cameras.

Overall though pretty great experience for the ~$20 bucks spent.

i feel like i need a quick-reference image for my keyboard controls. having to open up the menus to find the one button i need to push is crap.

There's two I found on reddit that I've been using

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19nwF9bflrw1CMd26GWx1FKJpzAxJVL4e/view
https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftFlightSim/comments/idg8w1/ms_fs_2020_keyboard_shortcutsbindings/

Pham Nuwen posted:

I understand most of this but the only thing I couldn't really figure out during the mission was a) where to find the heading in the Cessna (you've circled it but I didn't know how to figure out which instrument it was myself), and b) how to figure out degree bearings with the Cessna's heading meter thing that seems to use....well I'm not quite sure what it's showing.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reptilians
Sep 2, 2018

I started hopping between airfields in the Cascades, slowly working my way up into Canada. I'm starting to see how people are always smashing these planes into mountains :stonk:

This was the closest thing I could find to the airfield I was looking for, although it may be a little big for a rural airfield?

The biplane is a lot of fun too