Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

aj styles second run was basically a belt pillow run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Price Check posted:

I've been thinking about Kenny Omega's IWGP reign and the perception that many fans thought that it was disappointing/underwhelming (not saying all - if you loved it, that's great. But many didn't). And yet it started with one of the greatest matches of all time and ended with one of the greatest matches of all time.

Has any champion had a similar trajectory? Starts AND ends the reign with amazing high points but the actual reign itself is looked at in a negative or mediocre light.

Diesel had a shock win over Backlund, did nothing for a year, then lost the belt to Bret in a tremendous match. In there, he had a handful of good matches (RR vs Bret, WM vs Shawn), but his entire year on top was mostly garbage.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Didn't help that Vince was fixated on having a babyface champ and turned Nash after the backline Backlund match with no rhyme or reason.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

anakha posted:

Didn't help that Vince was fixated on having a babyface champ and turned Nash after the backline Backlund match with no rhyme or reason.

It's the standard Vince thing. Diesel was a heel, people loved him as a heel, doing heel things, so Vince thinks people will love him more if he's a face, doing face things.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What are some more "illegal" moves like the Shattered Dreams and Tarantula? Did either of those moves win in a no DQ or similar stipulation match?

Tajiri really cranking back on it was the best.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What are some more "illegal" moves like the Shattered Dreams and Tarantula? Did either of those moves win in a no DQ or similar stipulation match?

Lex Luger's running forearm was treated as illegal in WWF due to the metal in his arm.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Tully and Arn in the WWF using the Spike Piledriver (at least at first). Watch their earlier matches and Tully would always provoke an opponent's partner into getting in the ring to distract the ref so he and Arn could hit the "illegal" Spike Piledriver. But after a while, the WWF dropped that angle.

The Piledriver in Memphis is another one.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is Orton's punt technically illegal?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Tombstone Piledriver is illegal in Mexico and gets you DQ'ed (and is a great way to end a second fall to get some heat for the third)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Red posted:

Is Orton's punt technically illegal?

it's only a kick so I don't see why it would be

WWE used to "ban" punches/closed fist strikes for a period but I don't think they've ever banned kicks

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Tombstone Piledriver is illegal in Mexico and gets you DQ'ed (and is a great way to end a second fall to get some heat for the third)

It often results in a stretcher job too so winning a big match with it is guaranteed serious heat for a Rudo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

On a vaguely similar note, why are chokes illegal but not sleepers or the Tazzmission or whatever? What are the differences between legal holds that KO you and illegal holds like a choke? It's something about not attacking the throat but then how are you supposed to knock somebody out?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

On a vaguely similar note, why are chokes illegal but not sleepers or the Tazzmission or whatever? What are the differences between legal holds that KO you and illegal holds like a choke? It's something about not attacking the throat but then how are you supposed to knock somebody out?

the Tazmission was illegal in WWF

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah, Chokes are 100% illegal as they attack the throat whereas in Kayfabe stuff like Sleepers/Cobra Clutches/Tazzmission doesn't

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Sleepers and the such are cutting off the blood supply, not the air supply.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Yeah, I think it's kind of the difference between squeezing the neck and squeezing the throat. They're always talking about checking to make sure the arm isn't under the chin on rear naked chokes and stuff, so I guess as long as the arm isn't on the throat but just squeezing the neck it's okay.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
The Tazmission was a choke (grand theft oxygen! Stealing his air!), The Tazzmission was not.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Blood chokes are ok, strangles are not. Basically you just can't grab the windpipe

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Orange Cassidy has been wrestling since 2004, right? What's his bump card look like? I know he has his current gimmick that's probably pretty good for minimizing your bumps, but I'm wondering what his overall career looks like, from anybody who's been following him since, like, the Chikara days.

Basically I'm wondering how long he'll be able to go as a high-card guy, possibly top guy in AEW, since he's already 36.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

anakha posted:

Actually they sorta turn him at the Survivor Series PPV shortly before (all this happened in the space of a week), he just abruptly falls out with Shawn Michaels and I guess he's a hero now and he wins the belt and on the next RAW people are holding up "WWF Champion Diesel" signs though they would have no way of knowing about this unless they were following, like, Usenet

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Actually they sorta turn him at the Survivor Series PPV shortly before (all this happened in the space of a week), he just abruptly falls out with Shawn Michaels and I guess he's a hero now and he wins the belt and on the next RAW people are holding up "WWF Champion Diesel" signs though they would have no way of knowing about this unless they were following, like, Usenet

Weren’t the weekend syndicated shows still enough of a thing at this point that most people would’ve found out there?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Weren’t the weekend syndicated shows still enough of a thing at this point that most people would’ve found out there?

That's how I found out about it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah. The timeline went like this:

- Survivor Series is Wednesday. Diesel turns face and Bob Backlund wins the title of Bret.

- WWF Superstars is Saturday. Jack Tunney mentions that due to being so beat up, Bret is in no condition for a return match just yet and the planned Backlund title defense at an MSG house show will instead go to Diesel.

- That night, Diesel wins the title in mere seconds at the house show.

- WWF Wrestling Challenge is Sunday. In a very rare moment of something major happening in-between syndicated shows, Diesel's title win is the big news.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MJeff posted:

Orange Cassidy has been wrestling since 2004, right? What's his bump card look like? I know he has his current gimmick that's probably pretty good for minimizing your bumps, but I'm wondering what his overall career looks like, from anybody who's been following him since, like, the Chikara days.

Basically I'm wondering how long he'll be able to go as a high-card guy, possibly top guy in AEW, since he's already 36.

He doesn't have many injuries and his gimmick requires him doing as little as possible, so I'd say he's got more time left than your average 36-year-old wrestler. He started doing the lazy stuff around 2010-2011, so that's a good chunk of time.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Two NJPW related questions.

1 - What does the "dojo" system entail?

2 - What does it mean if a wrestler is referred to as a Young Lion?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CobiWann posted:

Two NJPW related questions.

1 - What does the "dojo" system entail?

2 - What does it mean if a wrestler is referred to as a Young Lion?

the dojo is the training school of njpw, a common system found with most larger wrestling companies in the country. if you are a student at the dojo, you live there and you are 100% focused on your training and the company. you don't join any sports clubs, you don't go out to have fun, you don't date anyone. the dojo is your life when you are just starting out. you practice fundamentals over and over again, this practice is to weed out those that aren't atheltically abled or disciplined. you don't learn any moves right away but rather a focus on conditioning and bumping correctly. the first year you're basically learning and practicing the bare basics and thats it. when you're not training you're doing fleet crew duties, setting up/taking down the ring, chairs etc from shows, you're to drive and help transport veteran wrestlers and listen to them, anything a veteran wrestler asks you to do, you do. after about a year or more of this when you're ready you are promoted to Young Lion. you still have all the previous responsibilities, but now will get to wrestle very short, very basic matches. you are only allowed a VERY limited moveset, very basic strikes and holds, your "finisher" is always a boston crab or a pinning combination. you have short natural colored hair and wear basic black trunks and boots. you are not there to stand out, you're there to learn. you never win any matches unless its exclusively against another young lion, and almost always the more senior lion goes over. after a couple of years of this, if you're deemed good enough and ready, you're sent off on excursion to another country or company to learn with them so you can develop your own style or character. By this point, they almost always have a good idea of how they're going to use you when you return and where they send you is usually based on where they think you need improving. typically wrestlers that have had trouble finding a character or personality find themselves sent to CMLL in mexico, like Hiromu or SHO and YOH. wrestlers that need more in-ring refining or just crisping up find themselves shipped off to the UK or USA which is what happened to Jay White. your excursion lasts until they're ready to bring you back under a new gimmick where you'll get a push. Wrestlers that don't go on excursion will usually receive their new gimmick right away, and usually these wrestlers are ones the company figures don't really have top guy potential and they stay lower on the card upon graduation. Master Wato, Toa Henare, and David Finlay (who granted, has in fact started to improve his position and push after graduation so its not a glass ceiling) are examples of guys who graduate the system and don't have to do an excursion.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I thought Master Wato was in CMLL?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

He was, for two and a half years

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dont know why i thought he never went on excursion

i think it might be some weird mental bias against the grand master he just has a very yoshi hashi energy to me so i figured oh he just got to graduate

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Maybe you meant Juice Robinson (checking his wikipedia page, he seemed to have graduated without doing an excursion)

Also lmao at him being the first American to win the IWGP US Heavyweight Championship

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Price Check posted:

I've been thinking about Kenny Omega's IWGP reign and the perception that many fans thought that it was disappointing/underwhelming (not saying all - if you loved it, that's great. But many didn't). And yet it started with one of the greatest matches of all time and ended with one of the greatest matches of all time.

Has any champion had a similar trajectory? Starts AND ends the reign with amazing high points but the actual reign itself is looked at in a negative or mediocre light.

I liked it a lot, but YAMATO's last Dream Gate run in Dragon Gate was like that for a lot of people. Went on too long, people were generally more into his opponents winning, and for a lot of western fans, YAMATO's "Main Event Singles Match" has a lot of long drawn out stuff they don't like. But the match where he beat Shingo for the title was perfect, and his match where he dropped it to Masaaki Mochizuki was amazing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

juice went on excursion to nxt

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MJeff posted:

As Fire Ant, he never seemed to get sidelined with any major injuries or anything that I can recall.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
There was a VERY brief period where, playing off the real life ban in WWE (for everyone but Taker and Kane), piledrivers were storyline illegal on SmackDown. But I think it was only mentioned once, by Cole during one of the Benoit-Orton matches where Orton subbed for Booker T in their best of 7 series for the U.S. title.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I always wondered if refs were miked. I know they have the earpiece but wasn't solid on them having a mic.
They are now. Not sure when it changed.

As for the X: When it started to be used in storylines, they made the call that there would be a shoot X and a work X. I forget which is which, but one is overhead and one is closer to chest height.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i would guess that the overhead one is for worked injury things, "playing to the cheap seats" and all.

i was pretty interested and shocked to hear about how scripted and micromanaged wwe matches were from moxley's first big interview post-wwe. i mean i knew they were more controlled than most but i always figured the wrestlers still called most of it, just because who would bother to script it down to the detail like that? anyway, anyone have any idea when that might have started to become a thing in wwe? are there other shoot interviews from ex-wwe talent who talked about it, like, 10 years ago? im curious to see how recent the extreme scripting and such started.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also an interesting paradox because the agents seem to scoff at these youngsters not wanting to listen and to call their matches themselves, when back in the day, Randy Savage, Raven and DDP got tons of poo poo for laying out their matches in full ahead of time and not calling it on the fly.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I think laying out a match ahead of time can be cool and good, but I think they should trust the talent themselves to do the laying out. I dunno, WWE just feels so lifeless and I wouldn't be shocked if that was part of it (along with scripted promos). I never felt like any of Macho, Raven, or DDP were lifeless even if they preplanned stuff.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
yea i mean if thats someones prerogative thats one thing, im not dumping on ddp or raven or anything. just when it became like, company mandate in wwe.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Agents would go over the finish and any storyline elements that were required, otherwise they would work with the wrestlers to put together a rough outline of a match or just let the veterans do it themselves. It all ties together with WWE making everyone recite a script. It's almost like a dying ability, withering away within the industry if you make it to the "top."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Undertaker is often said to be the best/most successful gimmick ever in wrestling history.

Who is second place and third place and so-on?