Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

VelociBacon posted:

Can't imagine ordering something called that, maybe a pet peeve but wish places would name their menu like adults if it's adult food.

???

lol stop being so uptight, man. goober's an old word for a peanut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

VelociBacon posted:

Can't imagine ordering something called that, maybe a pet peeve but wish places would name their menu like adults if it's adult food.

goober is literally a slang name for peanuts though. i mean, sure, i wouldn't order "loaded spuds" at the french laundry, but they probably don't have peanut butter burgers on their tasting menu, so :shrug:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

aside from things like satays and groundnut soups, etc., i am partial, from my school lad days, to dipping a toasted peanut butter sandwich into chili

There is a cafe near us that does what I think is the best sandwich: smoked mozzarella, peanut butter and sweet chili jam. It’s amazing. The non-veg version uses bacon.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

mediaphage posted:

???

lol stop being so uptight, man. goober's an old word for a peanut.

I always forget this when I hear the Goober Peas song, I picture weird boogery peas first before reality reasserts itself

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

therattle posted:

There is a cafe near us that does what I think is the best sandwich: smoked mozzarella, peanut butter and sweet chili jam. It’s amazing. The non-veg version uses bacon.

i was just gonna say that it reminded me of a childhood favourite, which is peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. sometimes peanut butter and banana. sometimes all three. i’ll eat just about anything with peanut butter at least once.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

mediaphage posted:

i was just gonna say that it reminded me of a childhood favourite, which is peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. sometimes peanut butter and banana. sometimes all three. i’ll eat just about anything with peanut butter at least once.

Peanut butter, burnt bacon, arugula, and garlic aioli sandos carried me through hangover brunch a lot

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, I've done PB, bacon and spicy jelly a lot. Local farmer makes a great strawberry and jalapeno and it's a real nice sandwich.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks to this thread, and because I didn't feel like cutting open an avocado (:guillotine:), I did PB and kimchi toast. I highly recommend it!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with salt grinders? Are they good, or a gimmick to sell more himalaya rocks? I guess getting finer grains on your dish can be worth something, but it seems really hard to judge how much you're delivering.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

BrianBoitano posted:

Thanks to this thread, and because I didn't feel like cutting open an avocado (:guillotine:), I did PB and kimchi toast. I highly recommend it!

Every post this thread strays further from God

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Epitope posted:

What's the deal with salt grinders? Are they good, or a gimmick to sell more himalaya rocks? I guess getting finer grains on your dish can be worth something, but it seems really hard to judge how much you're delivering.

There’s no strictly culinary reason to own one, no. It won’t make your salt taste better or anything.

They exist mostly for showing off or extracting money from people who don’t know any better.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Dead Of Winter posted:

There’s no strictly culinary reason to own one, no. It won’t make your salt taste better or anything.

They exist mostly for showing off or extracting money from people who don’t know any better.

as a counterpoint, my pepper grinder was more expensive by itself than in a set with a salt grinder

I mostly season from a cellar while cooking, so the grinder’s at least a convenient thing to put out on the table for people to adjust to taste without extra utensils or sticking grubby fingers in a communal dish.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

pile of brown posted:

Peanut butter, burnt bacon, arugula, and garlic aioli sandos carried me through hangover brunch a lot

This sounds amazing.

BrianBoitano posted:

So does this.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Hauki posted:

as a counterpoint, my pepper grinder was more expensive by itself than in a set with a salt grinder

I mostly season from a cellar while cooking, so the grinder’s at least a convenient thing to put out on the table for people to adjust to taste without extra utensils or sticking grubby fingers in a communal dish.

yeah i have a salt grinder because my spouse bought a double-sided s&p grinder. it is useful enough because I can adjust the size of the salt on the grind, but that's really it. "fresh ground salt" is a thing to my knowledge

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

With respect to grinding that's why I like the diamond kosher salt, you can crush it between your fingers (it's quite easy) and get a pretty fine powder, no grinder needed.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Grinding salt fresh doesn't do anything for it. Cook with Diamond kosher so you can crush it with your fingers if you really need that for some reason, and finish with Maldon for big crunchy flakes. Don't need salt on the table if you seasoned everything well in the first place.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I just buy regular iodized table salt and put into salt shakers.

I also buy sea salt that comes in bigger kernels for throwing into potato and pasta water, it's really cheap salt. I guess a salt grinder could be good if I wanted to use that salt for something else. It'd probably be cheaper than what americans call kosher salt, I do have some of that that I use on occasion, but it's expensive stuff.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

BrianBoitano posted:

i want a kimchi toast. i can't find it in the rural town :shakesfist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePaHG6g7uFw
I however did to a tribute meal to this very famous song by the very famous pop supergroup The Rutles, (hint: cheese and onions, details to follow :devil:)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

excellent bird guy posted:

I however did to a tribute meal to this very famous song by the very famous pop supergroup The Rutles, (hint: cheese and onions, details to follow :devil:)

It’s funny you mention the Rutles, because I had just had some tea. And biscuits.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

prayer group posted:

Don't need salt on the table if you seasoned everything well in the first place.

I see you have never met anyone like my fiancée who occasionally just wants things to taste like salt.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

prayer group posted:

Don't need salt on the table if you seasoned everything well in the first place.

Thanks for being patronizing, but I’m still gonna be hospitable when company’s over

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My son likes less salt than I do and I don’t want him eating things as salty as I do so I cook with less salt than usual, and salt my portion at the table. My wife doesn’t always so if I salted to my palate it would probably be too much for her too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

excellent bird guy posted:

Make your own kimchi! It's one of those things that cost $10 for a small jar at a farmer's market or $4 to DIY a gallon*. Just make any old recipe, and sub or leave out whatever you like as long as you have a vegetable, salt, and a spicy of some kind. For instance, I used green cabbage instead of napa, fish sauce instead of shrimp, and blended some takeout rice with water for the "sweet rice flour porridge".

*if you already have a vessel, like a giant ball jar or wide mouth pitcher

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

My son likes less salt than I do and I don’t want him eating things as salty as I do so I cook with less salt than usual, and salt my portion at the table. My wife doesn’t always so if I salted to my palate it would probably be too much for her too.

Same.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

Make your own kimchi! It's one of those things that cost $10 for a small jar at a farmer's market or $4 to DIY a gallon*. Just make any old recipe, and sub or leave out whatever you like as long as you have a vegetable, salt, and a spicy of some kind. For instance, I used green cabbage instead of napa, fish sauce instead of shrimp, and blended some takeout rice with water for the "sweet rice flour porridge".

*if you already have a vessel, like a giant ball jar or wide mouth pitcher

Yes! I did this quite recently and it was so drat good. I used this recipe without the fruit.

https://simple-veganista.com/kimchi/
It was very salty though. I’d research if one could use less salt. You can always salt it at the table if it doesn’t taste salty enough.

:hfive:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

therattle posted:

Yes! I did this quite recently and it was so drat good. I used this recipe without the fruit.

It was very salty though. I’d research if one could use less salt. You can always salt it at the table if it doesn’t taste salty enough.

:hfive:

Apples, huh? That looks extremely up my alley. May I ask a dumb question-- how large of a jar did you pack the whole thing into? I've been having a lot of good times during quarantine making pickles and shrubs and sauces and other ways of preserving produce, but I'm kind of running out of room and I'm due to run out and get another few jars and cans and things.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

How Wonderful! posted:

Apples, huh? That looks extremely up my alley. May I ask a dumb question-- how large of a jar did you pack the whole thing into? I've been having a lot of good times during quarantine making pickles and shrubs and sauces and other ways of preserving produce, but I'm kind of running out of room and I'm due to run out and get another few jars and cans and things.

It was so moreish. I can’t recall if I followed her quantities or scaled down (don’t think I did...), and I filled two jars of this size:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mrs-Elswood-Haimisha-Cucumbers-Pickle/dp/B00LQEBAO4

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

therattle posted:

For :kimchi: that recipe's brine is about right for soaking--it's a little over 4% and a 5% brine is the canonical safe-but-salty pickling brine.

It recommends topping off the veg with reserved brine, which I've literally never done (although I add some fish sauce). If the final product is too salty, that's probably the problem. When I make kimchi, I more or less just drag the veg through the seasoning paste and then pack it in the fermentation vessel. Immediately after packing there isn't much liquid, and it looks like a zombie upchucked a salad. But by the same time next day the veg will have released enough liquid that you wouldn't want more.

How Wonderful! posted:

I usually use 7L cambros for both kimchi and lactofermenting pickles (I also have a fancy German pickling crock, but whenever I'm fermenting something it's because the garden/CSA is throwing a lot of fermentable veg at me and one crock is never enough for all of it). You can use smaller vessels--I've used quart mason jars and even delitainers when I didn't have anything else--but I think it comes out better if you ferment large and then store small.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Are there any decent jarred (black) mole sauce brands or am I gonna have to make my own? I mean sooner or later I'm gonna make my own mole but for now I want quick mole enchiladas.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I usually do this when I'm in a hurry. https://food52.com/recipes/58336-braised-pork-in-lazy-cherry-ancho-mole

Its more of a guideline than anything else, I never actually use cherries, I prefer it with mango, but you could go nuts on the fruit itself, and I've never included the almonds, but it does hit those mole notes pretty well.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

Are there any decent jarred (black) mole sauce brands or am I gonna have to make my own? I mean sooner or later I'm gonna make my own mole but for now I want quick mole enchiladas.

I’ve never had mole. Do you catch them yourself or get them from a butcher? How do they taste? (Probably like chicken...)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

I’ve never had mole. Do you catch them yourself or get them from a butcher? How do they taste? (Probably like chicken...)

They're quite earthy.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I've decided to make a pizza. I picked up a can of tomato sauce, I assume its going to need some garlic, oregano, etc. I've never actually made pizza though and was wondering if there's anything I really need to do other than make kind of a thicker marinara sauce?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

quote="Guildenstern Mother" post="507497704"]
I usually do this when I'm in a hurry. https://food52.com/recipes/58336-braised-pork-in-lazy-cherry-ancho-mole

Its more of a guideline than anything else, I never actually use cherries, I prefer it with mango, but you could go nuts on the fruit itself, and I've never included the almonds, but it does hit those mole notes pretty well.
[/quote]

Thanks, this actually looks like a lovely dish and I don't have to buy too much. And, I have a pork shoulder on my shopping list!!

therattle posted:

Yeah, you can't tell in a blind taste test

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So I've decided to make a pizza. I picked up a can of tomato sauce, I assume its going to need some garlic, oregano, etc. I've never actually made pizza though and was wondering if there's anything I really need to do other than make kind of a thicker marinara sauce?

Well you need a crust. And cheese and stuff.

This is my usual recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

therattle posted:

the animal does not taste like chicken, it tastes gamy as hell

the sauce does taste earthy

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, my friend swears that wearing a face shield will keep you from crying when you chop onions

I don't have a reason to chop onions right now, anyone else wanna try this?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've done it with ski goggles and it worked so I don't see why not.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Yeah I wear glasses and chopping onions has never bothered me, so I'd imagine that a face shield would work even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I made breakfast today (WFH is awesome in that regard) and now that I've been eating pasture raised chicken eggs fed on bugs, I'll never go back to cheap, mean changed chicken eggs. Not only is it better for the birds but drat these yolks are so deep and rich it's just incredible. The yolk is orange, it's cartoony almost. Which made me think on the subject of the "organic" movement here's my takeaways so far and I know they're subjective, my experience and opinion is not universal:

Organic pasture raised eggs - Awesome
Organic milk - Awesome
Organic veg - can't really tell
Organic fruit - can't really tell
Organic yogurt - depends on the brand but I think it's more a function of better brands than "organic".
Organic cheese - I can't tell but some people swear by it.

Anything I'm missing out on in y'all's opinions?