Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

Then the guy who translated Mother 3 ported the NES translation to the GBA and hacked in an XP doubler, so that is definitely the version to play if you ever wanted to play it, but even after all that it's still not a very good game.

:chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I enjoyed mother 3 with an English patch but yeah I'm not sure I could ever be compelled to play through it again and watching videos of people play it, I definitely forgot a lot about what happened or what I did during my 20 or over many hour long run. To me this puts it squarely in the okay but not great category. The final boss was kind of cool but also really expected/cliche so it took a lot of the emotional impact away.

There's a reason it wasn't translated, and it's usually an economic reason. Wonder how many people would actually buy it?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

I enjoyed mother 3 with an English patch but yeah I'm not sure I could ever be compelled to play through it again and watching videos of people play it, I definitely forgot a lot about what happened or what I did during my 20 or over many hour long run. To me this puts it squarely in the okay but not great category. The final boss was kind of cool but also really expected/cliche so it took a lot of the emotional impact away.

There's a reason it wasn't translated, and it's usually an economic reason. Wonder how many people would actually buy it?

cutesy-sprites like in Mother 3 were persona non grata to most Western gamers back in 2006. Maybe things have changed since stuff like Cuphead but Mother 3 is still quite odd to most casuals.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Violet_Sky posted:

cutesy-sprites like in Mother 3 were persona non grata to most Western gamers back in 2006. Maybe things have changed since stuff like Cuphead but Mother 3 is still quite odd to most casuals.

Also it came out in 2006 in Japan on GBA when the DS was already well in full swing. It would have been weird for NOA to publish it by then.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mother 3 is beautiful and great and I'm perfectly happy never talking about or playing it again. Announce a new direct already Nintendo please.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Has anyone tried Raji? Is it good?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Waltzing Along posted:

Earthbound with like 1/3 the combat would be worth it. There is far far far far far too much combat in that game.

Are you not dodging (or despawning) enemies?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Raji is kind of a generic medium quality action platformer but the art and music is really nice and I really enjoy the voice narration

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Mother 3 was one of those things where, when I first played it, I ended up preferring Earthbound’s story, but after I replayed it years later, Mother 3 became my favorite. It still has my favorite final boss fight of any game ever.

I’d buy an English translation just to show my love and respect for the game. Hell, I spent $40 on Collection of Mana solely because they localized Seiken loving Densetsu 3.

e: I joke a lot about Mother 3 in this thread because honestly I don’t think it’ll ever get an official translation and it’s funny that there’s still demand for it when anyone who would give a poo poo would’ve played the solid unofficial translation by now, but it’s still a solid game and I’d be happy if it ever got an official translation if only so the emulation-adverse could experience it first-hand.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 21, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mega64 posted:

Mother 3 was one of those things where, when I first played it, I ended up preferring Earthbound’s story, but after I replayed it years later, Mother 3 became my favorite. It still has my favorite final boss fight of any game ever.

Same. I really suggest people that played it only once when the fan translation came out to play it again. It hit me a lot harder the last time I played it.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
played a few hours of spiritfarer, seems chill and good - plot's a little light in the beginning

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Has anyone played PGA Tour 2K21 for Switch yet? Looking to scratch the golf game itch a little bit. I know it won’t be as good as the old Tiger Woods games, but as long as it’s not straight up bad I think I’ll enjoy it.

I’ve only seen reviews for the PS4 version.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's a great golf game but I sadly don't have any insights into the Switch version. If it's anything like the other 2K Switch ports I'd tread cautiously.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

how many tigercoins does it take to upgrade my tees or whatever

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Has anyone tried Raji? Is it good?

Raji so far is okay, the combat feels like it could use a little more meat on the bones and the targeting is kind of rear end (on the bow especially) but the art is great and it's a perfectly functional beat-em-up with light platforming.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Weedle posted:

how many tigercoins does it take to upgrade my tees or whatever
It's a 2K game not an EA game, thankfully.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hope after Sports Story there's a Golf Story 2 starring Tiger Woods.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

American McGay posted:

It's a 2K game not an EA game, thankfully.

i played nba 2k18 and it was absolutely rotten with that poo poo so the question stands

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

I hope after Sports Story there's a Golf Story 2 starring Tiger Woods.

you play as tiger woods during the slump era. you have to re-develop his abilities after the curse his wife put upon him for sleeping around on her, which reduced his golf skill to 1

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Has anyone played PGA Tour 2K21 for Switch yet? Looking to scratch the golf game itch a little bit. I know it won’t be as good as the old Tiger Woods games, but as long as it’s not straight up bad I think I’ll enjoy it.

I’ve only seen reviews for the PS4 version.

Im having a blast on PS4, the game itself is a ton of fun. I did hear you cant play the career mode unless youre online on Switch, so if portability is a factor for you I think you can only course edit offline, you can't play golf offline

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

SeANMcBAY posted:

I approve of less penalties from not playing for a bit but I do miss the grumpy dialogue from some of them. The cranky villagers aren’t even cranky anymore.

My wife has been playing AC since first US release and frequently bemoans the lack of villagers mercilessly roasting you or getting pissed at each other and rampaging around like Pac-Man in the New Adventures when you shoot him with the slingshot too many times.

I know they can still get pissed in ACNH but I've never seen it once in what must be 300+ hours at this point

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope the rumor for a direct next week is true.

I hope the rumor for a mario 3d collection with everything from SM64 > SM3dW is true.

I don't care if SM3dW is on the switch, though. It's already perfect on the Wii U. All the others would benefit a lot:

SM64 looks like rear end in 2020 and could benefit from a HD remaster.
SMS plays like rear end in 2020 and could benefit from an enhanced control scheme.
SMG1&2 both had unneeded waggle controls and a generally uncomfortable control scheme for platforming and could use a HD upgrade and actual gamepad controls.
SM3dW is perfect as it is and is worth getting a Wii U to play.

So of course we'll only get SM3dW.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Waltzing Along posted:

I hope the rumor for a mario 3d collection with everything from SM64 > SM3dW is true.

I don't care if SM3dW is on the switch, though. It's already perfect on the Wii U. All the others would benefit a lot:

SMS plays like rear end in 2020 and could benefit from an enhanced control scheme.
SMG1&2 both had unneeded waggle controls and a generally uncomfortable control scheme for platforming and could use a HD upgrade and actual gamepad controls.

3dW is my favorite 3d Mario in years because of the multiplayer. I hope Nintendo ports the game just so more people can play it.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

SM64 is still better than the DS remake imo

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I'd imagine it's safe to say that both the direct and the 3d Mario collection rumours are true since the same source correctly predicted the announcement day and the day of Indie direct and new Paper Mario existing.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The DS remake had too much required character switching, I just wanted to play as Wario the whole time and never Yoshi

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Spiritfarer is very nice and laid back so far. I think it'll be a dock-only game for me because it really powerchugs the battery on my Switch.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The Mario 64 level in Odyssey was such a tease.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

not a bot posted:

I'd imagine it's safe to say that both the direct and the 3d Mario collection rumours are true since the same source correctly predicted the announcement day and the day of Indie direct and new Paper Mario existing.

Is that the same leak that came from a website nobody has heard of before? Or the leak that said Origami King would take the series back to it's RPG roots?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm getting my 6 year old son into Pikmin (1 so far, 2 soon). I love how it's basically "My First RTS".

Looking forward to finally playing 3, and hopefully SM3DW. Never had a WiiU. 3D World is my last port wish.

Also, they're going to have to fix more than the visuals to make later-stage SM64 fun or even tolerable.

gently caress Tick Tock Clock. What a goddamned piece of poo poo level.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Len posted:

Is that the same leak that came from a website nobody has heard of before? Or the leak that said Origami King would take the series back to it's RPG roots?

Eh, I don't understand why people are being so salty about Origami King still. The wording was return to form, not remake of TTYD.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

not a bot posted:

Eh, I don't understand why people are being so salty about Origami King still. The wording was return to form, not remake of TTYD.

I actually have no interest in it and haven't played any of them.

Just keep in mine Eurogamers top tier sources also said Pokemon Sun and Moon were coming to Switch

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-18-nintendo-switch-will-get-pokemon-sun-and-moon-version

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Len posted:

I actually have no interest in it and haven't played any of them.

Just keep in mine Eurogamers top tier sources also said Pokemon Sun and Moon were coming to Switch

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-18-nintendo-switch-will-get-pokemon-sun-and-moon-version

Not sure what some 4 years old article from Eurogamer has to do with a specific leaker correctly leaking the date of this week's indie direct and it being an indie direct as well as saying there would be another direct the week after that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

not a bot posted:

Not sure what some 4 years old article from Eurogamer has to do with a specific leaker correctly leaking the date of this week's indie direct and it being an indie direct as well as saying there would be another direct the week after that.

Wasn't Eurogamer the source of the Mario All Stars 2 leak? If they weren't then it has absolutely nothing to do with it at all

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nintendo leaks are all fake

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Hasn't there been a Direct rumor every week for the past 4 months?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

BisterdDave posted:

Hasn't there been a Direct rumor every week for the past 4 years?

FTFY

Got a reminder that my Nintendo Online subscription will be renewed in September. Do we start the speculation on the N64 or Gamecube subscription for the next year.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

All rumors are fake, unless they turn out real and actually it was obvious and nobody ever denied it.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm getting my 6 year old son into Pikmin (1 so far, 2 soon). I love how it's basically "My First RTS".

Looking forward to finally playing 3, and hopefully SM3DW. Never had a WiiU. 3D World is my last port wish.

Also, they're going to have to fix more than the visuals to make later-stage SM64 fun or even tolerable.

gently caress Tick Tock Clock. What a goddamned piece of poo poo level.

I wish they could have done more with Rainbow Ride tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tick Tock Clock is my personal favorite level.