Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The thread title change made me so mad that I caught up on ten pages of posts to yell about it. So, thanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Pigbuster posted:

I spent so long writing this that it's now getting posted in a different thread.

Fantastic write-up! A DemonCrawl thread is in order.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
First Lowtax gets rid of FYAD again, and now this!

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
PC culture done did it again :argh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is the adventure mode stuff in Remnant separate from the campaign? I'm playing through the story with my friends but would like to play solo occasionally, can I roll some dungeons or something to work through and then go back to the story mode when I'm playing with them? I was scared to try because I don't want it to overwrite my progress if you can't do them both simultaneously.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

explosivo posted:

Is the adventure mode stuff in Remnant separate from the campaign? I'm playing through the story with my friends but would like to play solo occasionally, can I roll some dungeons or something to work through and then go back to the story mode when I'm playing with them? I was scared to try because I don't want it to overwrite my progress if you can't do them both simultaneously.

It's a separate save slot for sure.
I started an adventure mode run on Nightmare after beating the game just to try it out, cus Nightmare said "recommended for players with endgame gear' and hey I just beat the final boss right?
Anyways I got one and two-shot a bunch and then left. I could switch back to campaign mode at the save point in Ward 13.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Relax Or DIE posted:

more accurately a few people said no in between pages that were, generously, 10-20% talk about steam

Silence is not assent.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Relax Or DIE posted:

more accurately a few people said no in between pages that were, generously, 10-20% talk about steam

Not exactly a resounding call for change, though. Like just because you’re now a mod doesn’t mean you need to embark on a vigorous course of action to justify your position.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Pigbuster posted:

I spent so long writing this that it's now getting posted in a different thread.

Lmao, Goon Van Winkle up in this bitch

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

How To Win Goon Approval, Step 1: a clever thread title

mods pls change "Megathread" to "Poopyfart"

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Much like the Han dynasty, the Steam Thread Kingdom has fallen...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't even know why the title change had to happen. Even if this was the official Steam thread, discussion of PC gaming in general was happening so what does changing the title accomplish?

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

As the person who did the asking a few weeks back, my take is:

We thought it was extremely silly that the "no this really is the steam thread" posts were sandwiched between non-steam posts, but I was content to let it lie, even if I didn't understand it. It became a bit of a running joke in our mod discussions that the bad posts in this thread were never about steam. So Relax jokingly posted a threat to change the thread title as punishment for bad posts--and then people started posting in support of it, unlike last time. If the thread is divided on the issue, it makes sense, at least to me, to err in favor of having the thread title more accurately reflect what is actually being discussed in it.

tl;dr in the time since I asked, relatively little Steam discussion has happened, and people posted in support of changing it

mod transparency hopefully accomplished

Of course the actual thread name change doesn't actually matter, most people probably just have it bookmarked or open in a tab and wont notice any difference anyway.

But to change it, when people already said no, due to an internal joke in the mod discussion or whatever seems really weird and kinda lovely.
Do we now need another thread for steam issues? The OP of this thread is about Steam. Does that need to be changed now?

I'm fine with the "Romance of the Three Storefronts" change, since that is an awesome title, but "PC Gaming Megathread" part seems completely unnecessary.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

Thanks, I'll give all this a deep look later. I didn't even know about the novice mastery -- or about masteries in general, or about chording -- I think I need to look at the game mechanics a little instead of just trying to play Minesweeper.

It's overwhelming to me and I wrote it, so no worries. :v:

You unlock the novice mastery's three levels by discovering a 4/5/6 or greater, which should be pretty easy but 6s aren't exactly super common. Only the third level will grant you the activatable ability, which for Novice is extra important. Once unlocked you need to buy them from the Token Shop, which is accessed from the main menu. It's very cheap, at least, only 6 tokens (luckily this game has no microtransactions because otherwise "unlock the ability to buy a thing" would raise red flags). You select a mastery using the EDIT button at the bottom of the quest selection screen.

Chording is apparently a mecehanic that's always been in Minesweeper?? Since the beginning!?!? I genuinely had no idea it was a thing OR that it had a fancy name until I started playing Demoncrawl. Then I got so used to it that I insta-abandon a quest whenever the "you cannot flag cells" stage mod comes up because hahaha screw that mod.

Blattdorf posted:

Fantastic write-up! A DemonCrawl thread is in order.

I would not be opposed to that, I really didn't think the game would have as much staying power as it does and yet there it is, still in my recently played list.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Even making it "Steam/PC Gaming" would be preferable to what we got imo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

as someone who runs Steam by going to steampowered.com via the PlayStation Vita web browser, I feel extremely attacked right now

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
My greatest Demoncrawl regret is that I didn't take any screenshots of the time I managed to go infinite and max out coins+armor while filling the entire stage with NPCs and flaming balls of death. I managed to make Minesweeper lag.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

+1 To change it back, I would have said not to change it back when the question got asked but it looked like it had already been decided as no and the discussion moved on to something else. Seems pretty crappy to change it after deciding on No.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It is very fitting that some people are kinda upset about having to deal with other storefronts in their thread title instead of just Steam.

Rename the thread to The GOG Galaxy Megathread to solve this issue IMHO.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Pigbuster posted:

My greatest Demoncrawl regret is that I didn't take any screenshots of the time I managed to go infinite and max out coins+armor while filling the entire stage with NPCs and flaming balls of death. I managed to make Minesweeper lag.

I have actually crashed Demoncrawl a time or two, one so hard it wiped my save. I think I summoned enough cankers it underwrote something.

(The game takes a backup like... every stage, though, I did not lose much work.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah that's the way to solve this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

purchasing exclusive rights to the thread title for the next 12 months

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Orv posted:

Yeah that's the way to solve this.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ah, boo, my idea was better.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Personally I just disliked having yet another "PC" icon in my bookmarks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh the named changed back right as I was writing a post. Well that works.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Dias posted:

Ah, boo, my idea was better.

Wouldn't work, the forum isn't drm free.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

Wouldn't work, the forum isn't drm free.
it does have workshop support but it really shouldn't be enabled for every title without user participation

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

explosivo posted:

you can have 1 campaign and 1 adventure running at the same time per character, which are totally unrelated (they can be different difficulties, so we were moving up to hard adventures before actually finishing our normal campaign). you'll want to do adventures if you want more gear since the length of the campaign will only run you through maybe a third of the possible weapons/armor/jewelry in the game.

to answer the question from earlier about getting gear to +20, I believe hardened iron only drops in hard difficulty or above. e: actually don't quote me on this, we saw hardened iron right around when we started doing hard adventures but I think we maybe started seeing it in the normal campaign after we went back too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There is now a separate PC Gaming Megathread so now when people annoy you by posting EGS or hardware derails, you can tell them there's a better thread for it!

Maybe nobody will post in it, or maybe we can finally have the Steam thread for the Steam posters

Orv
May 4, 2011
:ughh:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

cheetah7071 posted:

There is now a separate PC Gaming Megathread so now when people annoy you by posting EGS or hardware derails, you can tell them there's a better thread for it!

Maybe nobody will post in it, or maybe we can finally have the Steam thread for the Steam posters

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

If I see one mention of itch.io I will loving lose my mind, so help me Gaben.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Aaaand it's back to being the Steam thread. Oh well, I guess at some people will be happier now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Linux Gaming and Steam Thread

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just to be clear, the thread title is almost immaterial here, it's the whole new mods coming in and acting like by not going along with this we're somehow loving up their cool plans and being smug about it. It's not a great look.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah for over a decade the thread's focused on content and what everyone wanted to talk about instead of steam itself outside of sales, there wasn't really a behaviour change to impact and i doubt anyone thinks this isn't the general pc gaming thread

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jesus Christ

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

We have a new mod? Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Alright folks, new topic:

whaddy'all think about games

vibeo
games