Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I put DQ7 down after really enjoying it and I don't know what I was doing and don't want to start over so it will probably remain unfinished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Len posted:

I put DQ7 down after really enjoying it and I don't know what I was doing and don't want to start over so it will probably remain unfinished

The game has an option in the menu that tells you what you've recently been doing just select that and search for any proper names it says in a guide.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And also a bunch of party chat, especially when you first boot the game up, is "where do I go now".

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

well i bought 7. i do want to play both of these games eventually but i don't think i have enough juice for 2 DQs in a row, and i felt like maybe i should pick the game that's a bit more dissimilar to 11 for some variety

hopefully i don't regret it!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I really enjoyed DQ7, it's just very much a 90 hour game. Sometimes that's good and sometimes that's bad.

I hope you enjoy it! My favorite thing about it is how the game's a bunch of smaller independent story bits that kind of slowly connect as you fill out the world. It's got one of the best feeling story/world progressions in the series.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

90 hours? ha! you can ask me about spending 150 hours on each trails game

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Amppelix posted:

90 hours? ha! you can ask me about spending 150 hours on each trails game

I think you'll like 7

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I played the 3ds version of 7 last year and I clocked in at like 50 something hours at the end. I don't think the playtime has to be long if you don't want it to be unless you want to do the extra stuff. I actually enjoyed the vignettes, like watching a tv show before bed. My only complaint is that I'm not a big fan of the DQ6/7 job system but you may like it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

7 feels a lot longer than it is also because in every other game in the series, you're battling your slime within a minute or two of starting the game. In the original 7, you don't fight anything for maybe 3 hours. They seemed to cut that down to about an hour and a half in the 3DS remake.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh poo poo hero just punches the barrels open in 7

This is the best game in the series actually

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah I like 7 a lot. I'm a couple island & hours in now and it's very comfy and I'm into the writing. I do wish there were a bit more going on gameplaywise, but ehh. It seems like they do have some semblance of gameplay pacing, I probably won't get tired of it before the job system happens.

Also are jobs super grindy in the remake?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
only if you want them to be. there's not much point in unlocking and mastering all the human jobs on each character in the remake, so you can take a straight path to t3 jobs and call it a day. but then there is completely optional monster job tree.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Nah, not really. They level faster than before apparently but advanced vocations can only use their learned skills in a class...which 95% of the time is a pointless restriction since the advanced vocations are ready for the final boss, they’re that strong.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Amppelix posted:

Yeah I like 7 a lot. I'm a couple island & hours in now and it's very comfy and I'm into the writing. I do wish there were a bit more going on gameplaywise, but ehh. It seems like they do have some semblance of gameplay pacing, I probably won't get tired of it before the job system happens.

Also are jobs super grindy in the remake?
Jobs level noticeably faster in the remake than the original; without grinding I had a better job setup by the end of the remake than I had with some minor grinding in the original.

You're gonna have to grind for the monster jobs, but they're completely 100% optional, neither of my playthroughs (original or remake) ever used monster jobs, and even that part's a lot less grindy in the remake, especially if you use Traveler's Tablet dungeons.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Last Celebration posted:

7 is probably my third favorite after 5 and 11, the main problem people have with it is that it’s an entire game of those vignettes that you do a lot in most Dragon Quest games that are unconnected you the main story except something happens at the end that lets the party progress. It’s usually not a slow game (at least since the 3DS remake streamlined so much) but it’s not unreasonable to expect to spend around 70-80 hours on its main campaign.

Yeah, 7 drove me mad because I kept waiting for the “story” to start, when it turned out that the story was “solve these 25 seemingly unconnected problems, surprise you foiled the bad guys plan to destroy 25 different places using 25 completely different methods”.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I enjoyed 7 plenty, up until it introduced the job system. Hearing that 6 has the same thing makes me sad, I was looking forward to playing that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BisterdDave posted:

I enjoyed 7 plenty, up until it introduced the job system. Hearing that 6 has the same thing makes me sad, I was looking forward to playing that.
Huh, for me the job system is the best part of 7. But then I'm a sucker for any JRPG with a job/class system. I love building characters, mechanically. It's why I have a folder full of D&D characters that will probably never get used.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
building characters is always better than using them

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Umm, why do you dislike the job system? Just outta curiosity, I’ve heard plenty of complaints about the sequence of events leading to vocations but never the system itself

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

building characters is always better than using them

Last Celebration posted:

Umm, why do you dislike the job system? Just outta curiosity, I’ve heard plenty of complaints about the sequence of events leading to vocations but never the system itself

I guess I'm the weirdo that just does not like building characters in RPGs. At least to the point where I have to re-spec them more than once. Seems like for each new world in DQ7, I had to go back to the vocation school and re-spec and grind up again for new classes. I would much prefer when a game just assigns everything for me, skill points and whatnot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh, and I thought you just had all the classes on hand and could swap them out whenever you liked. I can see not being a fan if you have to go to a place and talk to people all the time to get stuff changed.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, the last 4 or so boss fights in VII have been me casting sap and then spamming attack and healing sometimes. I'm kinda getting over it. The story and exploration are carrying the game but i would really like to start having more than two combat options now please.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Well, the last 4 or so boss fights in VII have been me casting sap and then spamming attack and healing sometimes. I'm kinda getting over it. The story and exploration are carrying the game but i would really like to start having more than two combat options now please.

You eventually get a ton of combat options, it’s just that most are redundant or not work using.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah i realise that. I've played a dq or two before. I'm complaining about how long it takes in this game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, getting to the class system takes a while. Probably the game's biggest flaw, IMO.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That wouldn't have to be a problem either if any of your characters learned any more interesting abilities before that point. Like take Ruff for example. He has three attacking abilities now that all seem to do absolutely nothing besides dealing his normal attack damage? And one of them hurts him???

Put something neat here instead and even though combat wouldn't actually be much more intricate it would feel like it is, which is always more important.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Where are you in the game? I don’t actually think there are a ton of bosses in 7 relative to its length so you might already be getting close to the vocations

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm at the abbey now, but there really was a period of like two and a half chapters there where absolutely nothing interesting happened gameplaywise. Oh well, like i said the rest of the game carried it through and it's not like dq is ever known for its intricate combat strategies.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Speaking of being at the abbey, should i be looking up the vocations, unlocks, etc? Am i fine just giving everyone whatever job strikes my whims or will i get punished if i don't optimise?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Amppelix posted:

it's not like dq is ever known for its intricate combat strategies.

That's kind of why I've never really enjoyed classes in dragon quest. I'm not the other poster that mentioned not liking classes, but I tend to agree with this point of view.

the way dragon quest implements classes isn't especially satisfying or interesting, it doesn't add anything to the dragon quest experience and combat isn't necessarily better or worse regardless of whether a dragon quest game has classes or not. The branching skill system is a little better, but overall dragon quest hasn't really figured out how to make character growth in a satisfying way past bigger numbers. Boils down to the combat just being basic I think

Dragon quest monsters a little more interesting but that just come from the setup itself which encourages experimentation n a much bigger pool of learnable skills

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 21, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Speaking of being at the abbey, should i be looking up the vocations, unlocks, etc? Am i fine just giving everyone whatever job strikes my whims or will i get punished if i don't optimise?

I'd look up which combination of classes unlock the higher tiers of classes, mainly so that you get access to full party heals and better attacks that hit all enemies.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Amppelix posted:

There is a point later where one of your characters is removed from your group for a stretch of time, so don't make any one of them completely indispensible. Get a little role redundancy planned.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Amppelix posted:

I think there’s an NPC ingame that tells you what high level vocations require in terms of previous vocations.You’re technically “wasting” potential if you don’t aim for the third-tier vocations but for anything but the super duper postgame bosses the second level vocations are capable of easily handling the final boss, let alone every other enemy in the normal game, so it’s not a huge deal in practice.

Gameplay spoilerMaribel peaces our for a good long while at some point so it’s probably a good idea to have the fourth party member you get aim for Sage since he’s fairly well-rounded aside from Speed but leans towards mage stuff, which can be an asset for boss fights since the AI cheats for heals which makes a slower guy more helpful

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
an island you can access after the abbey has a healslime heart. monster classes let you keep all the learned abilities and healslime teaches multiheal. even if you don't bother with any other monster classes, sticking multiheal on someone is incredibly helpful. the usual choice is ruff, since he's fast.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Welp, I'm immediately torn between putting maribel in something that lets her use that big mp pool, and making her my physical powerhouse just because I can.

I suppose with some grinding i could always do both!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, red mages (armamantalists) are a thing. I mean, I’m pretty sure she barely get anything as far as actual swords go but it’s there!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maribel does have a decent selection of whips though, and her MP pool even after the malus most physical classes get will still be decent, so she'll be able to spam skills.

And some physical skills from the powerhouse classes don't really use your physical attack.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh that's right. The classes advance only by number of battles fought. That's kind of good but also kind of terrible because it means the optimal way to grind them is 100% mindless attack spamming on slimes you oneshot. Even grinding can be interesting if you need to plan out a strategy for it.

Also the vocations own hard in this game actually because they let you play dress-up with cool outfits

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't remember the precise numbers, but monsters far enough below your level stop giving vocation experience, so slime grinding won't do the job forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I see. Still not a very interesting metric to track.