Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I've encountered like half a dozen of these now.

Starting to think this photogrammetry stuff was a bad crutch to fall back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is there a way to change aircraft mid-flight as you could in older versions of FS? I acknowledge that going from a 747 to the A5 is a good way to rip your wings off, but it'd be kind of nice to hop from the 152 to a Cub without having to completely reload.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
is there an INI to edit your default tail # so i don't have to do it every time

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is there a way to change aircraft mid-flight as you could in older versions of FS? I acknowledge that going from a 747 to the A5 is a good way to rip your wings off, but it'd be kind of nice to hop from the 152 to a Cub without having to completely reload.

I think F11 is bound to change plane.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Romes128 posted:

Dang it. Thanks.

Yeah, finding that out really solidified my decision to get a head tracker. Bought a Grass Monkey Simulations Puck today and I should have it early next week.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GigaPeon posted:

I know "Second Screen Experiences" is kinda past its prime, but it would be kinda killer to have an ipad app that'll synch up for your nav log and radios and stuff.

There is this: https://www.msfsaddons.org/freeware/spacedesk

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Merv Burger posted:

Yeah, finding that out really solidified my decision to get a head tracker. Bought a Grass Monkey Simulations Puck today and I should have it early next week.

I ordered one also. Should be here Monday.

I just wanted to get some extra functionality out of my second monitor. But now that I can pull out that second display by the copilot, I can at least see my RPMs more easily at least.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
Is the “jump to” location bugged? Twice now I’ve had an IFR flight in the TBM where I’ve taken off and then skipped to approach at my destination only to spawn back in the aircraft with oil pressure warnings blaring and my engine cutting out

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Less Fat Luke posted:

I think F11 is bound to change plane.

That doesn't seem to work. As far as I can tell, you need to be in developer mode to access the aircraft swap menu, and there's still some bugs since it'll occasionally crash for no apparent reason, or just load part of the model or something.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Taintrunner posted:

I've encountered like half a dozen of these now.

Starting to think this photogrammetry stuff was a bad crutch to fall back on.

yeah they should have hand modeled the earth instead

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the milk machine posted:

lol right

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the milk machine posted:

I'd much rather a system to report these errors/bugs so they can fix them in exchange for FSbux to buy DLC or whatever because you can't go five minutes without running into them, and some are a lot worse than others

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Trip report from lunch: found Mount Rushmore, but it's just a bare rock hill above a visitor center / viewing area.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Taintrunner posted:

I'd much rather a system to report these errors/bugs so they can fix them in exchange for FSbux to buy DLC or whatever because you can't go five minutes without running into them, and some are a lot worse than others

No ones paying you anything to report poo poo no one cares about.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the funny thing about not being able to afford to upgrade my PC hardware to run MSFS at max settings right now is that if I hadn't spent hundreds of bucks on FSX and P3D addons over the years I'd have more than enough, and a significant portion of that went into poo poo like OrbX terrain upgrades to make those sims merely look significantly worse than this one does, or ActiveSky to get a worse live weather system than this has.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Trip report from lunch: found Mount Rushmore, but it's just a bare rock hill above a visitor center / viewing area.

as it should be

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

A hopeful view of the future

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

This game was so pretty I ended up buying it. Woe unto those who decide to bide passage on my wind stallion.

Not that interesting of a screenshot, flying over Point Defiance, Tacoma WA on my way to make a spectacularly horrid landing at KBFI. The last 3 minutes of the landing was basically dropping from 9000 to 2000 feet, over speeding like crazy into final approach and finally skidding off the runway and stopping short of plowing into a hangar. Technically it was a "successful" landing :shrug: I initially took off from KSEA, swung out over the Hood Canal, then came back. On final to KBFI frame rates started to chug hard. I mean I know it's drawing a lot more poo poo at low altitudes but why was my take off so silky smooth?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

1. Game fun

2. My i5-6600, 1060-6GB video card, and 16MB of memory are absolutely choking and dying horribly on this game. Stutters all over the place on medium. Which, since I was going to build a new computer in late September/October anyway, is tolerable but unfortunate.

3. As much fun as the OnAir goonstuff looks I am going to hold off until my new computer because I don't wanna try to do all that stuff when I have a mean time to crash of about 20 minutes as-is :v:

4. I am mortally terrified of flying anything with one of those garmins because they're so complicated, as much as I'd love autopilot. I see people posting this huge long things and I just think- why the gently caress can't there be an in-game tutorial for something like this? :argh: I am still clinging to just flying the 152 around because I actually understand what the instruments and levers are doing, mostly, while anything more advanced is just :catdrugs: to my eyes right now..

5. So my hometown, Buffalo. You see this building, the Seneca One tower, the biggest building in Buffalo by quite a bit? Big tan one to the left?

It's not in the game. :haw: It's an empty concrete pad. Baseball field's good, hockey arena's good, buildings around it are all good, but the only skyscraper, and the best single possible visual reference for flying VFR within 10 miles of the city, is just not there. Alas. Someday!

Hello fellow buffalonian.. with an i5 6600 and 16gb ram.. we should Network our computers together to get 30fps consistently. I have a 1070 though.

Onair worked okay for my 1 hour flight with that setup.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 21, 2020

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Taintrunner posted:

you should start selling scenery packs correcting these glaring errors

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hughmoris posted:

This is great! The level of detail is staggering.

If you or anyone else has clips of the area, I'd love to check it out. Jax Beach is a great area to fly around, at least 3 bridges within a few miles of each other you could zoom under (assuming the physics allow it)

Eagle-eyed viewers will notice that I did in fact not set a good trim before entering drone view (otherwise I think this clip shows off both strengths and limitations of the engine).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St-A2gxscz8

Also, hot tip for capture: if you've got pop-out stuff active on other monitors you might end up with an entirely useless clip that flickers between avionics and the main screen the whole time.

Taintrunner posted:

I've flown hours without being bothered by a few bugs here and there, and a lot of them just entertain me. More than that, though, I've seen sights so much more beautiful than I ever did in X-Plane, and the freedom to explore is astounding. In conclusion: c'mon man

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Was playing with this yesterday and it was 'good enough' at projecting a second screen to my dirty old android tablet over wifi. Then I noticed it was using 10% CPU and I don't think it would be wise to cook it any further during fly

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Imaginary Baron posted:

Is the “jump to” location bugged? Twice now I’ve had an IFR flight in the TBM where I’ve taken off and then skipped to approach at my destination only to spawn back in the aircraft with oil pressure warnings blaring and my engine cutting out

I had this happen to me, as well, for what it's worth. It hasn't happened after the first time and I just assumed it was because my hardware throttle was set to idle when I did the jump.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Black Griffon posted:

Eagle-eyed viewers will notice that I did in fact not set a good trim before entering drone view (otherwise I think this clip shows off both strengths and limitations of the engine).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St-A2gxscz8

Also, hot tip for capture: if you've got pop-out stuff active on other monitors you might end up with an entirely useless clip that flickers between avionics and the main screen the whole time.

I've flown hours without being bothered by a few bugs here and there, and a lot of them just entertain me. More than that, though, I've seen sights so much more beautiful than I ever did in X-Plane, and the freedom to explore is astounding. In conclusion: c'mon man

This is awesome, thank you. I don't have the game but everything I've seen makes it look like a huge leap forward in gaming, being able to explore the world and sight-see like never before.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

You’re flying at about 200 feet, what do you expect it to look like.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

the milk machine posted:

Why not? It's working just fine for Star Citizen.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I imagine the world being generated based on Bing data means it'll be something they can improve and update over the years without a lot of hands on work.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Funso Banjo posted:

You’re flying at about 200 feet, what do you expect it to look like.

There are lots of little things that could be fixed en-mass, such as off-angled roads on mountains (they already have the algorithm determine where a road is, for traffic generating purposes), that they could easily fix. They could add a generic waterfall graphic that generates for rivers steeper than a certain angle, they could add more than 2 types of trees (and reduce generated tree size by 1/2 - though I suspect that large tree sizes are more about reducing the number of models to achieve dense forests).

Game looks great tho.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hoping that hey give the community the ability to correct problems using the SDK or something

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Danimo posted:

South Texas doesn't have the most interesting terrain but the rural areas north and west of CRP have lots of wind turbines and they are modeled and work in MFS2020. Very cool to fly over, they make the world feel real much more than the fake traffic.

this is just north of K9R5, the dinky little airstrip in my hometown

I was just going to post how surprised I was at the accurate modeling of wind turbines in my area too. Enjoying a short flight, got about 3 minutes from landing at my destination, game crashed to desktop. First time :saddowns:

So, couple of questions and I apologize if I simply missed it:

When using live weather, how do you see what the current conditions are for a spot? IE temp, visibility, etc?

Also, when in showcase camera how do you actually take a screenshot?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Are the tropical storms in-game as part of live weather?

Or any other fun spots to fly through weather wise? Low heavy cloud formations, fogs? Thunderstorms?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
For a filthy casual, how much difference do the pedals on a T.16000m make? I'm tempted, but it doesn't seem worth the extra $100 when I can just bind them to the paddle on the throttle.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

For a filthy casual, how much difference do the pedals on a T.16000m make? I'm tempted, but it doesn't seem worth the extra $100 when I can just bind them to the paddle on the throttle.

I'm thinking I might plug in my driving force GT and then attach the racing pedals to that if I can assign them in the game. Going to have so much plastic all around my desk.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

BeastOfExmoor posted:

For a filthy casual, not much difference at all.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Aardvark Barber posted:

I'm thinking I might plug in my driving force GT and then attach the racing pedals to that if I can assign them in the game. Going to have so much plastic all around my desk.

Just to see how dumb I could make poo poo I once plugged in HOTAS, rudders, pedals, wheel and shifter to play Elite Dangerous. It was not worth the bother.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The fact that you can find a 1:1 recreation of Groverhaus before Beckingham Palace should probably be a warning sign.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Taintrunner posted:

The fact that you can find a 1:1 recreation of Groverhaus before Beckingham Palace should probably be a warning sign.

...Or a ringing endorsement.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What is the best way to take pretty screenshots. I have a capture program but it doesn't exactly make it easy or hide the ui or anything. I just want to pause flying for a sec, position the camera, take a pretty shot, keep flying.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

What is the best way to take pretty screenshots. I have a capture program but it doesn't exactly make it easy or hide the ui or anything. I just want to pause flying for a sec, position the camera, take a pretty shot, keep flying.

I thought there’s an active pause option that lets you do exactly this.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Press "Pause" on your keyboard, upper right hand corner. I just had to look this up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
I use the nVidia overlay tool and yeah the active pause is the correct way to freeze your plane and fly around it. Just don't pause with the nose pointed down and aircraft damage turned on, because the airspeed will keep increasing even though you aren't moving, and after a few seconds the wings will rip off.