Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Gallows humor is offensive to the people not about to be hung, please be considerate of their sensibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

punishedkissinger posted:

Most likely an anarchist. Biden said he wanted them locked up. One of the few ways Biden is similar to Stalin.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1288248800482660352?s=19

VitalSigns posted:

I assume they're referring to this
https://twitter.com/BoKnowsNews/status/1288212348780544002

Marianne Williamson, who would have beat Trump, explains
https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1289048283965521920

Yeah, it's this. And also the Obama-Biden admin's history of targeting random anarchists for harassment after protests get out of hand. Also also how the Obama-Biden admin destroyed Occupy.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Eminai posted:

Yeah, it's this. And also the Obama-Biden admin's history of targeting random anarchists for harassment after protests get out of hand. Also also how the Obama-Biden admin destroyed Occupy.

If you hate being persecuted by the state so much, why haven't you formed your own state?

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Grayly Squirrel posted:

I don't think we actually disagree on much.

You clearly aren’t actually reading my posts, then.

quote:

This is what losing looks like. We lost the primary. 2022 will be tough, so we have a lot of work to do. But, its all we can do. So lets try. Maybe I'm just inherently optimistic.

Hoping that 2022 and 2024 will be better for us if Biden loses- and a bunch of things go our way- and people blame the right people is just wishful thinking that makes the hard work and uphill struggle ahead of us go away. Its not going away.

I don’t think 2022 and 2024 will be better for the left if Trump loses. I think we’re just hosed regardless, frankly. I’m putting all my hope in a giant sinkhole opening up under the Washington Mall during the inauguration, as I imagine that’ll be the only way we can expect to ever take over the Democratic Party before its undead leaders help pilot our planet into the abyss.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

punishedkissinger posted:

they may have forgotten about that specific incident but they absolutely will grow to resent her as the media and democratic establishments constantly reminds them to

Fair. The way they portrayed a customary role before she even said a word as weird as gently caress.

But i'm currently more on the "They're too incompetent for that to be effective" side of things. They're not good at making the populace hate people of the same party. How markey's is doing despite what happened is testament to that.
There's other tactics that could be done and where the establishment is more effective i'd grant but those just aren't in the cards in those districts yet and it's uncertain however poo poo the next 2-4 years turn out whether or not they will.

That and to be frank it's possible the DNC/media made the gaffe on accident and literally think their polices and connections are enough to shut her kind out.
You didn't see this poo poo pulled by Nancy and Chuck on ma. No, it's clear the dirty poo poo is going to happen but it will happen on the state level.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Let me be clear then.

I'm talking about primarily House races, which are inherently local in nature. An insurgency primary challenge in a House district can be done in a local way, while a Senate race cannot.

State and local races also factor in. Yes, they do not rely on who is in power in the White House. But they are a part of process of changing the national conversation by changing state policies and shifting the overton window.

While parties tend to do poorly in the midterms, I'm not talking about general elections, I'm talking about primaries. The best seats for the "Party-within-a-Party" approach to take are safe Dem seats-- not the target seats that are open to flipping to a conservative. We don't need to win a majority, just a sufficiently large voting bloc that the Dems need to deal to pass anything without openly inviting GOP support and killing the party on their own. We don't need an outright majority, just the willingness to play hardball and a large enough voter-bloc to cause a crisis in Dem party leadership.

Call it the AOC approach. AOC won her primary in a safe Dem district by going local, and she alone already has an outsized influence despite what the DNC establishment tries to do or thinks about her.

It is not clear to me how Biden being in power affects winning primaries, and I also don't see why "getting a large voting bloc" will allow passing left legislation to happen. Getting a large enough voting block could allow the left to block bad legislation that other Democrats are willing to pass, which is certainly valuable, but it wouldn't allow the legislation the left wants to be passed. I'm also pretty sure that the vast majority of "progressive" candidates being elected to Congress wouldn't actually be willing to "play hardball" as you describe.

I want to be clear that there's obviously value to getting more left candidates in Congress, but 1. I don't think Biden being power helps this in any way and 2. there is no plausible way for this to actually lead to accomplishing large-scale left-wing goals in the remotely near future.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

It is not clear to me how Biden being in power affects winning primaries, and I also don't see why "getting a large voting bloc" will allow passing left legislation to happen. Getting a large enough voting block could allow the left to block bad legislation that other Democrats are willing to pass, which is certainly valuable, but it wouldn't allow the legislation the left wants to be passed. I'm also pretty sure that the vast majority of "progressive" candidates being elected to Congress wouldn't actually be willing to "play hardball" as you describe.

I want to be clear that there's obviously value to getting more left candidates in Congress, but 1. I don't think Biden being power helps this in any way and 2. there is no plausible way for this to actually lead to accomplishing large-scale left-wing goals in the remotely near future.

If the left is a large enough voting bloc, it forces the Dems to either 1) start passing things with GOP support, which then triggers a Speakership fight (think back to the Boehner backstab, where the GOP had the same choice of accepting Nancy Pelosi's offer of votes or selling their soul to the Tea Party) & the death of the party, and we get a ready-made leftist third party, or 2) they have to negotiate and earn the votes to pass anything. And since there is a Dem in the WH, we can actually pass things.

I don't think Biden helps win those races, I just don't think it hurts either (as house district races are local in nature and can be won on local issues/campaigning), and it would make for better results it works. Its absolutely doable in a "short" time frame, because two years is an eternity in politics and successful political insurgencies have been formed in less. We just need to start organizing now. Bernie and his staff should have started as soon as it was clear they lost, and it seems like maybe they have.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Grayly Squirrel posted:

I went back to pick a few quotes out, and realized I probably shouldn't. Nothing good can come of specifically quoting anyone.

I don't think there are any Trump supporters, per se. But there are absolutely accelerationists in this thread who sincerely believe Trump getting re-elected would be a better outcome for the Leftist cause, and therefore support that outcome.

Why do people say this? Voting for Biden is absolutely accelerationist. Voting for the guy who won't even ban fracking, whose violent foreign policy will continue to destabilize the world, whose dismantling of the welfare state has and will continue to increase support for fascism in America, and who will continue the death drive of climate change is so obviously accelerationist that I don't understand how Biden voters can use it as a pejorative.

Yes, voting for Trump is also accelerationist. There are other people on the ballot.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There's a pretty substantial difference between Trump's 'roll back all the environmental protections' approach to the environment and Biden's which strengthens protections without doing enough either.

Calling both accelerationist is reductive.

On an unrelated note: it's not reportedly domestically much because Trump got rid of the dod reporting requirements for drone strikes, but our drone war is going at a fever pitch and somehow we're back to running convoys around syria again, except with the added twist of now openly attacking the Syrian army.

https://twitter.com/QalaatM/status/1295425097457696774?s=20
https://twitter.com/QalaatM/status/1295357455581446144?s=20

idk what precipitated it, but our involvement in syria is definitely ramping up again.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 21, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

not doing enough is accelerationist, because "enough" would be stopping our acceleration toward armageddon, and therefore not doing that would mean continuing to accelerate toward armageddon

unless the definition of accelerationism is "wanting to make things bad on purpose" in which case Biden is technically not accelerationist because he only wants money and power and doesn't care if the earth gets destroyed since he won't be alive to see it, but of course that also applies to Trump

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's a pretty substantial difference between Trump's 'roll back all the environmental protections' approach to the environment and Biden's which strengthens protections without doing enough either.

There's literally no difference because we're heading towards a point where irreparable damage is caused and neither is doing anything to actually meaningfully avert that catastrophe.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Calling either accelerationist is misusing the term unless you're specifically talking about someone who's saying they're voting Trump/Biden with a goal of making life worse for everyone in the country so enough people are willing to join the Glorious People's Revolutionary Army, which is not a view I've seen even among anti-reform pro-revolution posters.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My view is that accelerationists have won. Both parties have elected the worst possible candidate who will be extremely impotent at dealing with the cascading crises in store for the next 4 years.

Every other industry or program has collapsed and boomers nominated the most conservative democrat alive to handle recovery lmao

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Rockit posted:

Fair. The way they portrayed a customary role before she even said a word as weird as gently caress.

But i'm currently more on the "They're too incompetent for that to be effective" side of things. They're not good at making the populace hate people of the same party. How markey's is doing despite what happened is testament to that.
There's other tactics that could be done and where the establishment is more effective i'd grant but those just aren't in the cards in those districts yet and it's uncertain however poo poo the next 2-4 years turn out whether or not they will.

That and to be frank it's possible the DNC/media made the gaffe on accident and literally think their polices and connections are enough to shut her kind out.
You didn't see this poo poo pulled by Nancy and Chuck on ma. No, it's clear the dirty poo poo is going to happen but it will happen on the state level.

The DNC doesn't really need to be particularly effective, because all of the Panera Moms will do the mobilizing for them.
Literally anytime CNN or MSNBC or *insert liberal media here* puts even the tiniest amount of shade on AOC, they come out of the woodwork to curse her and go on about how she should either know her place or go back to bartending and let her older and whiter betters do the governing.

It has happened a number of times before already and will continue to happening as they try to chip away at her support.

So far, AOC's biggest asset is the fact that she does know how to internet better than her Democratic assailants, and she isn't afraid to call people out.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I'm not even saying there is no difference. I'm saying both are accelerationist. Herstory, I'd be completely satisfied if you said "I'm an accelerationist voting for Biden but I'm not AS accelerationist as a Trump voter." That to me is completely fair. I do think there is a difference. Whether that difference matters is clearly debatable, but it's a defensible position to say that moving backwards 2 steps is more progress than moving backwards 3 steps.

What I don't get is why a Biden voter would call someone accelerationist as a pejorative. It's like, in a hypothetical world you might vote for Democrat Mussolini because the alternative is Republican Hitler, but then to call other people fascist because they won't vote for either fascist is frankly stupid.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

the_steve posted:

The DNC doesn't really need to be particularly effective, because all of the Panera Moms will do the mobilizing for them.
Literally anytime CNN or MSNBC or *insert liberal media here* puts even the tiniest amount of shade on AOC, they come out of the woodwork to curse her and go on about how she should either know her place or go back to bartending and let her older and whiter betters do the governing.

It has happened a number of times before already and will continue to happening as they try to chip away at her support.

So far, AOC's biggest asset is the fact that she does know how to internet better than her Democratic assailants, and she isn't afraid to call people out.

Forgive my ignorance but don't these moms only mobilize on social media to complain? Maybe fund-raise too but not as big of an extent as us.
To be clear i think there are other ways the DNC can screw her over and i'm actually leaning more on that happening if she runs or not. Just that these particular strategies being used right now aren't what's going to do it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

VitalSigns posted:

not doing enough is accelerationist, because "enough" would be stopping our acceleration toward armageddon, and therefore not doing that would mean continuing to accelerate toward armageddon

unless the definition of accelerationism is "wanting to make things bad on purpose" in which case Biden is technically not accelerationist because he only wants money and power and doesn't care if the earth gets destroyed since he won't be alive to see it, but of course that also applies to Trump

Yep.

At least for me... gently caress it's so stupid that this apparently has to be clarified, but yes, Donald Trump winning is loving terrible and no one wants it except his actual supporters. However, if it happens, due to Joe Biden, our boy Howie, La Riva or the other choices not getting enough votes / being ratfucked / whatever, at least there might be some positive things that we can hope for in the pile of otherwise extremely bad things that four more years of Trump would bring.

People look at that as a desire for Trump winning, when it's people trying to make the best out of a situation that many of us view as inevitable, or extremely likely anyway. We can do the same for Biden, if he happens to win, I hope he shocks us all and actually moves forward on things he's got in his platform. I don't personally think he will, which is why I am not voting for him, but I've said it before - I sincerely, deeply hope that I am mistaken.

(I think at times people mistake our jokerfied brains laughing at terrible things as actual enjoyment and encouragement of those things, when it's just a means of coping with this nightmare reality we're all drowning in at the moment)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glumwheels posted:

You still didn’t answer my question and yes I’m aware of what Obama did but he wasn’t responsible for separating kids and ensuring they’d never see their families again. It was Miller and a Trump who started that poo poo. Obama didn’t have Miller’s zero tolerance policy.

This is pedantry meant to obscure the cruelty that Obama's administration inflicted specifically and deliberately on children, such as having kids as young as one year old represent themselves in court, and also separating children in ways different from the particular way the Trump administration is doing so now, and how the administration admitted that the cruelty was completely intentional and meant to deter people with the fear that their children would be made to suffer too.

Anyway, this is a good video that came out today, and while technically about Obama it's very relevant to Biden too, who's basically worse in every regard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLnZ-0zyHg

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 22, 2020

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
An endless parade of one upsmanship in brutality and spite.
https://twitter.com/wsteaks/status/1296941154693414914

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Office Pig posted:

Absolutely incredible. Massive protests, lifelong injuries, deaths, all thrown under the bus. DUUUUH ACTUALLY TRUMP WANTS THOSE THINGS.

Bootleg Trunks fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 22, 2020

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Office Pig posted:

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Absolutely incredible. Massive protests, lifelong injuries, deaths, all thrown under the bus. DUUUUH ACTUALLY TRUMP WANTS THOSE THINGS.

I know posters here are still going to hate whatever he says, but it sounds much better in context (to me).

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-abcs-robin-roberts-dont-defund-police-trump/story?id=72524405

quote:

"I don't want to defund police departments. I think they need more help, they need more assistance, but that, look, there are unethical senators, there are unethical presidents, there are unethical doctors, unethical lawyers, unethical prosecutors, there are unethical cops. They should be rooted out," Biden later added.

"By the way, he proposes cutting a half a billion dollars of local police support," Biden added, seemingly referring to the Trump administration's proposed cuts to a federal program that helps hire more local law enforcement officers.

[...]

Biden also called for more resources for social services to support police.

"We have to make it clear that this is about protecting neighborhoods, protecting people, everybody across the board," he said. "So the only guy that actually put in a bill to actually defund the police is Donald Trump."

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

context does matter, and in this case the context is biden specifically disavowing the key slogan of the biggest us protest movement in.this decade

he will not do anything serious about US policing is what he's saying

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
No, it doesn't sound better because police already have "my family is dying" levels of budget so why do police departments need more budget to train their cops when they're so busy wasting it on military grade material or, as I saw when I was at school, a campus police force get entirely refitted with loving Dodge Chargers?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's like when melenchon wanted ela referendum on nuclear plants; everybody knew that the plants would win a straight referendum, but meluche promised it as a way to outmanouver his internal anti-nuclear tendency, because you really can't get more legitimate than a referendum

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

to a literate outsider, biden's whole message is very consistently that nothing will substantially change. he's happy to make nods in a reformIst direction, but note that he never ever actually promises anything specific towards those ends

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Well, I'm glad I poke around here because you guys are much different than my social media feeds.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Joe Biden: police need MORE money, and any policing issues are due to a few bad apples. Hmm, the rest of that saying about the apples? Sorry, I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

also if a buffoon like trump is capable if toppling your democracy, it's stone dead without radical reform anyway

guess who's not a reformer or a radical

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

People have been saying that line about social services and training forever, what ends up happening is the cops use it to get some IDF special training in how to step on a person's neck without leaving a bruise and more toys to brutalize people with

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

Well, I'm glad I poke around here because you guys are much different than my social media feeds.

Questioning the narratives that are pushed out by mainstream media will do a hell of a lot to reveal some very uncomfortable truths.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Joe Biden is actually worse for the country than Trump and if you don't know that it's because you haven't been paying attention to him the last 40 years.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Dolphin posted:

Joe Biden is actually worse for the country than Trump and if you don't know that it's because you haven't been paying attention to him the last 40 years.

if trump was in politics for 40 years he'd probably do more damage than biden, tbf

please do not take this as an endorsement of one warmongering rapist over another

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Alyssa Milano is going after Rose McGowan for criticizing the Dems, did a giant tweet thread about all the things Dems have done since the beginning of the 20th century. She has naturally locked the comments so no one but her followers can reply (twitter somehow found a way to get even worse). Most of them are pretty lol, but this one about Barbara Lee is my favorite

https://twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/status/1296940010629865473?s=20

See if you can figure out the problem!

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Where to begin? Oh.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Alyssa Milano is going after Rose McGowan for criticizing the Dems, did a giant tweet thread about all the things Dems have done since the beginning of the 20th century. She has naturally locked the comments so no one but her followers can reply (twitter somehow found a way to get even worse). Most of them are pretty lol, but this one about Barbara Lee is my favorite

https://twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/status/1296940010629865473?s=20

2001 was a dark time, there was only one Democrat in Congress so all the wars and surveillance legislation just couldn't be stopped

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Celebrities: they're just like us! :haw:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

RottenK posted:

if trump was in politics for 40 years he'd probably do more damage than biden, tbf

please do not take this as an endorsement of one warmongering rapist over another

it kind of makes me wonder what the country would look like if trump remained a democrat.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

How are u posted:

Celebrities: they're just like us! :haw:

Until they take a moral stand and get eviscerated by their peers.

No no, quite right, carry the gently caress on.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Rainbow Knight posted:

it kind of makes me wonder what the country would look like if trump remained a democrat.

Before he switched teams how good was his relationship with the lobbyist and donor scenes?
That would probably answer a good chuck of that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Rockit posted:

Before he switched teams how good was his relationship with the lobbyist and donor scenes?
That would probably answer a good chuck of that question.

IIRC pretty poor. He was something of a laughingstock among the other rich elites in New York.