Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is 100% accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 37: Contrivances

It's rare that a chapter title is a warning.

quote:

Aro did not rejoin his anxious guard on the north side of the clearing; instead, he waved them forward.

Edward started backing up immediately, pulling my arm and Emmett’s. We hurried backward, keeping our eyes on the advancing threat. Jacob retreated slowest, the fur on his shoulders standing straight up as he bared his fangs at Aro. Renesmee grabbed the end of his tail as we retreated; she held it like a leash, forcing him to stay with us. We reached our family at the same time that the dark cloaks surrounded Aro again.

Bringing Jacob was the worst loving idea. The Volturi guard is so nervous that they'll start hissing and leaping into battle poses like Power Rangers villains just from seeing their leader step ahead of them, so you brought the giant wolf that's going to intentionally antagonize them? He's so slavish to Renesmee now that the only thing stopping him from getting annihilated and ruining all the negotiations is his pedo queen dragging him away by the tail.

quote:

Now there were only fifty yards between them and us—a distance any of us could leap in just a fraction of a second.

So you've barely made any separation at all.

quote:

Caius began arguing with Aro at once.

“How can you abide this infamy? Why do we stand here impotently in the face of such an outrageous crime, covered by such a ridiculous deception?” He held his arms rigidly at his sides, his hands curled into claws. I wondered why he did not just touch Aro to share his opinion. Were we seeing a division in their ranks already? Could we be that lucky?

So because everyone's vampire super senses are now suddenly working again, both sides are clearly close enough to hear each other. Edward is also close enough that he should be able to hear their thoughts. This would make any deception on anyone's part very difficult!

quote:

“Because it’s all true,” Aro told him calmly. “Every word of it. See how many witnesses stand ready to give evidence that they have seen this miraculous child grow and mature in just the short time they’ve known her. That they have felt the warmth of the blood that pulses in her veins.” Aro’s gesture swept from Amun on one side across to Siobhan on the other.

Caius reacted oddly to Aro’s soothing words, starting ever so slightly at the mention of witnesses. The anger drained from his features, replaced by a cold calculation. He glanced at the Volturi witnesses with an expression that looked vaguely… nervous.

I glanced at the angry mob, too, and saw immediately that the description no longer applied. The frenzy for action had turned to confusion. Whispered conversations seethed through the crowd as they tried to make sense of what had happened.

It seems pretty obvious. Aro just said "Guys, this child is a human-vampire hybrid we never expected. No laws were broken. We need to research this!" What's so confusing?

quote:

Caius was frowning, deep in thought. His speculative expression stoked the flames of my smoldering anger at the same time that it worried me. What if the guard acted again on some invisible signal, as they had in their march? Anxiously, I inspected my shield; it felt just as impenetrable as before. I flexed it now into a low, wide dome that arced over our company.

I could feel the sharp plumes of light where my family and friends stood—each one an individual flavor that I thought I would be able to recognize with practice. I already knew Edward’s—his was the very brightest of them all. The extra empty space around the shining spots bothered me; there was no physical barrier to the shield, and if any of the talented Volturi got under it, it would protect no one but me. I felt my forehead crease as I pulled the elastic armor very carefully closer. Carlisle was the farthest forward; I sucked the shield back inch by inch, trying to wrap it as exactly to his body as I could.

Oh, she can see souls now too I guess. And of course Edward is the brightest and purest ever.

quote:

My shield seemed to want to cooperate. It hugged his shape; when Carlisle shifted to the side to stand nearer to Tanya, the elastic stretched with him, drawn to his spark.

Fascinated, I tugged in more threads of the fabric, pulling it around each glimmering shape that was a friend or ally. The shield clung to them willingly, moving as they moved.

So we've now got Bella discovering unexpected control and aspects of her power just casually experimenting with it during a lull in negotiations, aspects that conveniently remove any future difficulty in using it.

What if we could get even more contrived, though?

quote:

Only a second had passed; Caius was still deliberating.

“The werewolves,” he murmured at last.

With sudden panic, I realized that most of the werewolves were unprotected. I was about to reach out to them when I realized that, strangely, I could still feel their sparks. Curious, I drew the shield tighter in, until Amun and Kebi—the farthest edge of our group—were outside with the wolves. Once they were on the other side, their lights vanished. They no longer existed to that new sense. But the wolves were still bright flames—or rather, half of them were. Hmm… I edged outward again, and as soon as Sam was under cover, all the wolves were brilliant sparks again.

Their minds must have been more interconnected than I’d imagined. If the Alpha was inside my shield, the rest of their minds were every bit as protected as his.

We don't even need to figure out any geography or range here! Just put the Alpha under the shield and it transmits through the hive mind to everyone in his pack!

This is one of those times again where this reads like a sloppy fic, with new powers or facts appearing as needed to patch holes or solve problems that only more rewrites could really get rid of. It makes it apparent how Meyer was not only refusing to make sufficient changes to the Forever Dawn draft to get it to flow properly, but was likely writing from start to finish without much forethought and choosing to find ways to conveniently make problems irrelevant rather than dealing with them. In this case, it seems like she found it hard to keep track of where everyone is and didn't want to establish an upper limit on Bella's range and focus (or create a scenario where the Volturi were accidentally shielded), so she just created a way to make her shield lock itself to everyone it needs to automatically and transmit through the werewolf hive mind so she doesn't have to put much effort into it.

quote:

“Ah, brother…,” Aro answered Caius’s statement with a pained look.

“Will you defend that alliance, too, Aro?” Caius demanded. “The Children of the Moon have been our bitter enemies from the dawn of time. We have hunted them to near extinction in Europe and Asia. Yet Carlisle encourages a familiar relationship with this enormous infestation—no doubt in an attempt to overthrow us. The better to protect his warped lifestyle.”

Edward cleared his throat loudly and Caius glared at him. Aro placed one thin, delicate hand over his own face as if he was embarrassed for the other ancient.

Why is Caius even here? He's just getting dunked on.

quote:

“Caius, it’s the middle of the day,” Edward pointed out. He gestured to Jacob. “These are not Children of the Moon, clearly. They bear no relation to your enemies on the other side of the world.”

So obviously Caius is using his super vampire brain to be a giant dumbass, but you may be asking yourself "Who the gently caress are the Children of the Moon?"

quote:

“You breed mutants here,” Caius spit back at him.

Edward’s jaw clenched and unclenched, then he answered evenly, “They aren’t even werewolves. Aro can tell you all about it if you don’t believe me.”

Not werewolves? I shot a mystified look at Jacob. He lifted his huge shoulders and let them drop—a shrug. He didn’t know what Edward was talking about, either.

“Dear Caius, I would have warned you not to press this point if you had told me your thoughts,” Aro murmured. “Though the creatures think of themselves as werewolves, they are not. The more accurate name for them would be shape-shifters. The choice of a wolf form was purely chance. It could have been a bear or a hawk or a panther when the first change was made. These creatures truly have nothing to do with the Children of the Moon. They have merely inherited this skill from their fathers. It’s genetic—they do not continue their species by infecting others the way true werewolves do.”

This is why everyone is suspicious about the Cullens being allied with "werewolves": the Quileute aren't even werewolves at all! In the Twilight universe, actual "werewolves" are the classic kind that transform at the full moon and were the vampires' immortal enemies until they were virtually genocided. This was mentioned exactly once in Eclipse to explain why the Volturi couldn't directly see them allying with the wolves: Edward says they won't recognize their scent because they're a "different kind" of werewolf so all they have to do is leave to avoid causing a freak-out. The Children of the Moon never appeared and never mattered to the plot. An entire supernatural race and history has been secretly present in the background just to be offhandedly mentioned at the end of the series.

Are you happy with this reveal? I sure wasn't! Because here's the thing: the Cullens have retroactively known the entire time that the Quileute weren't the Children of the Moon, but have insisted on calling them "werewolves" and repeatedly using dog-related slurs to refer to them. They're just assholes!

This also retroactively destroys the entire arc about vampires and werewolves having an ancient conflict that they've been overcoming, because suddenly we find out that there was no ancient conflict with the Quileute in the way it was built up! They're one tiny tribe protecting just their territory in an isolated part of northwest Washington. It was all a personal thing with the Cullens. It seems to be yet another sloppy patch job by Meyer: she realized that she established the Volturi hating werewolves but still needs to have them in the climax to have her generic unity, so she quickly invented some bullshit about how they're not real werewolves so everyone can shrug and go about their business.

quote:

Caius glared at Aro with irritation and something more—an accusation of betrayal, maybe.

“They know our secret,” he said flatly.

Edward looked about to answer this accusation, but Aro spoke faster. “They are creatures of our supernatural world, brother. Perhaps even more dependent upon secrecy than we are; they can hardly expose us. Carefully, Caius. Specious allegations get us nowhere.”

This guy has been brought just to make Aro look good, hasn't he?

quote:

Caius took a deep breath and nodded. They exchanged a long, significant glance.

I thought I understood the instruction behind Aro’s careful wording. False charges weren’t helping convince the watching witnesses on either side; Aro was cautioning Caius to move on to the next strategy. I wondered if the reason behind the apparent strain between the two ancients—Caius’s unwillingness to share his thoughts with a touch—was that Caius didn’t care about the show as much as Aro did. If the coming slaughter was so much more essential to Caius than an untarnished reputation.

There's so many problems with this dogshit book.

I mentioned before how it feels like Meyer couldn't decide whether she would write the Volturi as actually being mistaken and possible to negotiate with or just planning on lying and killing everyone they can't force into their guard. The buildup to this climax wavered between which was true every page, and the way people suddenly forgot Eleazar's warning about them and had to be reminded of it implied that things were being changed around without really editing the book.

Right now, Bella is outright telling us (as usual) that the Volturi did come here under false pretenses, but we're also seeing Caius very blatantly going down a list of potential excuses while Aro shoots them all down as unfeasible in front of everyone. Despite Eleazar stating that the Volturi would have no problems just making poo poo up (and backstory added in the Illustrated Guide outright says they've done that!), Aro is shooting himself in the foot over and over. It makes it seem like they're desperately trying to be evil but are such rules lawyers that they have to make an airtight case first.

quote:

“I want to talk to the informant,” Caius announced abruptly, and turned his glare on Irina.

Irina wasn’t paying attention to Caius and Aro’s conversation; her face was twisted in agony, her eyes locked on her sisters, lined up to die. It was clear on her face that she knew now her accusation had been totally false.

Irina has spent almost all of her time in this book staring in horror at things.

quote:

“Irina,” Caius barked, unhappy to have to address her.

She looked up, startled and instantly afraid.

Caius snapped his fingers.

Hesitantly, she moved from the fringes of the Volturi formation to stand in front of Caius again.

“So you appear to have been quite mistaken in your allegations,” Caius began.

Tanya and Kate leaned forward anxiously.

“I’m sorry,” Irina whispered. “I should have made sure of what I was seeing. But I had no idea.…” She gestured helplessly in our direction.

In her defense, so far every vampire who's met Renesmee has failed to notice that she's obviously not a vampire until given a change for a detailed look.

quote:

“Dear Caius, could you expect her to have guessed in an instant something so strange and impossible?” Aro asked. “Any of us would have made the same assumption.”

Caius flicked his fingers at Aro to silence him.

“We all know you made a mistake,” he said brusquely. “I meant to speak of your motivations.”

Irina waited nervously for him to continue, and then repeated, “My motivations?”

You know her motivations! Aro touched her and read her mind!

quote:

“Yes, for coming to spy on them in the first place.”

Irina flinched at the word spy.

“You were unhappy with the Cullens, were you not?”

She turned her miserable eyes to Carlisle’s face. “I was,” she admitted.

“Because…?” Caius prompted.

“Because the werewolves killed my friend,” she whispered. “And the Cullens wouldn’t stand aside to let me avenge him.”

“The shape-shifters,” Aro corrected quietly.

:goonsay:

quote:

“So the Cullens sided with the shape-shifters against our own kind—against the friend of a friend, even,” Caius summarized.

Well, no. Irina never showed up seeking revenge in the first place and it would have been incredibly stupid of her to do so. Carlisle phoned them and they told him to gently caress off. That's all that happened. The Cullens never had to "stand aside"; what she wanted was help in genociding the Quileute, which they refused to do.

This is another Forever Dawn issue. Originally, Victoria was still alive at this point and was still hunting for a way to kill the Cullens. Coming up with the accusation of an immortal child after seeing Renesmee was her way of doing it, only for her to be humiliated by learning that she was wrong and being torn to shreds by the wolves in front of everyone. You'll note that all of this makes a lot more sense if you replace "Irina" with "Victoria."

quote:

I heard Edward make a disgusted sound under his breath. Caius was ticking down his list, looking for an accusation that would stick.

Just lie! Make poo poo up! Do whatever! You're supposed to be evil!

quote:

Irina’s shoulders stiffened. “That’s how I saw it.”

Caius waited again and then prompted, “If you’d like to make a formal complaint against the shape-shifters—and the Cullens for supporting their actions—now would be the time.” He smiled a tiny cruel smile, waiting for Irina to give him his next excuse.

Maybe Caius didn’t understand real families—relationships based on love rather than just the love of power. Maybe he overestimated the potency of vengeance.

Of course he didn't. The Illustrated Guide is even very clear that vampires are notorious for holding grudges to an extreme degree, hence Victoria going so far as to raise an army to avenge her mate being killed after he targeted the wrong human. What we're seeing is Irina behaving completely out of character for normally vengeance-fueled vampires because the Cullens are just so good and loving that she can't stay mad at them.

quote:

Irina’s jaw jerked up, her shoulders squared. “No, I have no complaint against the wolves, or the Cullens. You came here today to destroy an immortal child. No immortal child exists. This was my mistake, and I take full responsibility for it. But the Cullens are innocent, and you have no reason to still be here. I’m so sorry,” she said to us, and then she turned her face toward the Volturi witnesses. “There was no crime. There’s no valid reason for you to continue here.”

Yes, it's all Irina's fault! The fact that the Cullens did nothing to try and prevent a misunderstanding and just relied on arranging overdramatic confrontations to resolve everything is meaningless!

quote:

Caius raised his hand as she spoke, and in it was a strange metal object, carved and ornate.

This was a signal. The response was so fast that we all stared in stunned disbelief while it happened. Before there was time to react, it was over.

Three of the Volturi soldiers leaped forward, and Irina was completely obscured by their gray cloaks. In the same instant, a horrible metallic screeching ripped through the clearing. Caius slithered into the center of the gray melee, and the shocking squealing sound exploded into a startling upward shower of sparks and tongues of flame. The soldiers leaped back from the sudden inferno, immediately retaking their places in the guard’s perfectly straight line.

Caius stood alone beside the blazing remains of Irina, the metal object in his hand still throwing a thick jet of flame into the pyre.

The Volturi have custom flamethrowers.

quote:

With a small clicking sound, the fire shooting from Caius’s hand disappeared. A gasp rippled through the mass of witnesses behind the Volturi.

We were too aghast to make any noise at all. It was one thing to know that death was coming with fierce, unstoppable speed; it was another thing to watch it happen.

Caius smiled coldly. “Now she has taken full responsibility for her actions.”

His eyes flashed to our front line, touching swiftly on Tanya’s and Kate’s frozen forms.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hey, Native Americans! You know that thing that makes you special and is central to your culture? You're totally not the real deal, it's just a fake, bad copy of someone else.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

How many of these chucklefucks has accidentally immolated themselves trying to trickshot a flamethrower out from under their robes through the years?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One common criticism of Stephenie Meyer is that she seems to be a writer who mostly thinks in terms of visuals, like she's writing a potential movie in her head rather than a decent book. Scenes like the Volturi arriving are written out in a way that she thinks would look badass on a movie screen but has hilarious implications for writing: they all arrive in a perfectly coordinated formation, exactly in step, arranged by color for a neat visual effect as they simultaneously fan out. There's no reason for them to do that unless they're try to be as extra as inhumanly possible and have spent ages practicing it to get it down to a science. They have custom, ornately shaped handheld flamethrowers to hide under their robes in case they need to execute any vampires, flamethrowers they either had to make themselves or have commissioned by skilled craftsmen.

You see it with the other vampires, usually in descriptions of how they behave. They're constantly making exaggerated, screwed-up faces of rage, grief, agony, shock, horror, etc. and freezing them in place for Bella (i.e. the camera) to witness. Instead of explaining or discussing anything properly, they arrange for dramatic reveals even if they create a reaction that they need to calm down afterward. Instead of doing even one thing to blend in with the rest of the school, the Cullen kids constantly buy food just to throw it out and brood alone in the cafeteria while staring creepily at everyone, speaking in voices too low for anything but vampire hearing to pick up, before speeding away in expensive BMWs and Porsches.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Taking Irina down like that in about any other piece of media would immediately lead to a battle.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

So, I couldn't remember how this scene went except for stuff with the shield, and in retrospect I think it's because there's absolutely no logical narrative flow. It's just waffling.

Also taking Irina down like that is a really stupid idea for Law and Order, because it discourages people from reporting breaches if there's any chance they could be wrong. Logically, Irina reporting the Cullens when she thought she saw an immortal child was the right thing to do, even if confusing Reneesme for an immortal child is dumb for reasons already discussed. Furthermore, Aro, when reading Irina's memories to verify (presumably), also missed the signs Irina could have spotted.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

No see, Volturi bad mean doodoo heads.

Also it sounds like Bella's figuring out how to expand her shield required dropping her internal shield (I guess somehow protecting her from other people under her shield? Which makes no sense but anyway) means she should be readable by Edward now that she's covering him.

Also the werewolf thing is just bizarre. Like, does that work the same for any other power? If Sam gets whammied with the blackout ability would all the others be taken out too? Could Kate take down all the werewolves by herself?

Also please do a novel detailing the Volturi combating first the Romanians and then several OG werewolf infestations. TIA.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

In that second I understood that Caius had never underestimated the ties of a true family. This was the ploy. He had not wanted Irina’s complaint; he had wanted her defiance. His excuse to destroy her, to ignite the violence that filled the air like a thick, combustible mist. He had thrown a match.

The strained peace of this summit already teetered more precariously than an elephant on a tightrope. Once the fight began, there would be no way to stop it. It would only escalate until one side was entirely extinct. Our side. Caius knew this.

So here's my first question: why?

Let's skip the same old bullshit "We'll all be destroyed! Woe is me!" Only Kate and Tanya are attacking over this, and they're the only two who loved Irina enough to be willing to charge blindly into a few dozen powerful vampires for vengeance. Most of the vampires here barely even care about the other groups, in fact! The Cullens in particular have been fine just sitting there staring for the most part. Caius's "brilliant plan" relies on every other vampire on the Cullens' side all deciding "gently caress it" and throwing themselves at the Volturi for the sake of two people they may have just met a few weeks ago.

This is a leftover of trying to make Breaking Dawn fit in a Forever Dawn-shaped box. Originally, Victoria was the one behind the false accusations. She knew Renesmee was a hybrid, but wanted to get revenge against the Cullens and so she turned Riley into a vampire to make the actual accusation (to try and hide her own agenda). When this fails, the wolves kill her. Meyer still wanted her dramatic death scene in the climax, so she just crudely reworked it into Irina and had Caius start desperately cycling through an obvious list of false accusations and manipulations to get his way. This also serves to make the book way, way longer!

quote:

So did Edward.

Why yes, he did. He's a telepath. In the last chapter he outright says there's "layers of strategy" running through the Volturi's minds, as they aren't even trying to hide their thoughts from him. He told Bella that they're got a whole list of potential accusations and actions they can use of Irina's accusation turns out to be false.

Which means Edward has theoretically known the entire time what's been going on....and has just stood there doing nothing. Letting it all happen without saying a word.

Again, this makes sense if it was Victoria who was being killed; he would have known she was lying and gladly stood there as she got torn to shreds. But because the names got changed, he's now just standing around waiting for someone who's supposedly of a coven that the Cullens treat like family to get murdered to force a battle. Looks like Caius was overestimating "the bonds of true family", since Edward seems completely apathetic.

quote:

“Stop them!” Edward cried out, jumping to grab Tanya’s arm as she lurched forward toward the smiling Caius with a maddened cry of pure rage. She couldn’t shake Edward off before Carlisle had his arms locked around her waist.

“It’s too late to help her,” he reasoned urgently as she struggled. “Don’t give him what he wants!”

Oh, now you'll tell her it was a Volturi plot?

quote:

Kate was harder to contain. Shrieking wordlessly like Tanya, she broke into the first stride of the attack that would end with everyone’s death. Rosalie was closest to her, but before Rose could clinch her in a headlock, Kate shocked her so violently that Rose crumpled to the ground. Emmett caught Kate’s arm and threw her down, then staggered back, his knees giving out. Kate rolled to her feet, and it looked like no one could stop her.

Garrett flung himself at her, knocking her to the ground again. He bound his arms around hers, locking his hands around his own wrists. I saw his body spasm as she shocked him. His eyes rolled back in his head, but his hold did not break.

You may ask yourself "Doesn't Kate's power need direct skin contact to work, so they should all be grabbing parts of her body that are clothed?"

Why yes, that is true. Vampires are dumb.

quote:

“Zafrina,” Edward shouted.

Kate’s eyes went blank and her screams turned to moans. Tanya stopped struggling. “Give me my sight back,” Tanya hissed.

Desperately, but with all the delicacy I could manage, I pulled my shield even tighter against the sparks of my friends, peeling it back carefully from Kate while trying to keep it around Garrett, making it a thin skin between them.

Don't try to puzzle out how Bella's powers are actually working here. It's futile and you'll just hurt yourself.

quote:

And then Garrett was in command of himself again, holding Kate to the snow.

“If I let you up, will you knock me down again, Katie?” he whispered.

She snarled in response, still thrashing blindly.

“Listen to me, Tanya, Kate,” Carlisle said in a low but intense whisper. “Vengeance doesn’t help her now. Irina wouldn’t want you to waste your lives this way. Think about what you’re doing. If you attack them, we all die.”

Why would we know what Irina would want? Outside of her last words, the only thing she's said was a few stammers about being mistaken about Renesmee. She didn't even appear until she was standing on a hill, face twisted in emotions like everyone else here, before running away. Irina was a complete non-character with no personality.

quote:

Tanya’s shoulders hunched with grief, and she leaned into Carlisle for support. Kate was finally still. Carlisle and Garrett continued to console the sisters with words too urgent to sound like comfort.

Oh, never mind. Vampire vengeance and rage is now easily remedied by a few words of advice. Caius's dramatic murder to start a fight fizzled out in seconds.

Aren't you glad this book is still going?

quote:

And my attention returned to the weight of the stares that pressed down on our moment of chaos. From the corners of my eyes, I could see that Edward and everyone else besides Carlisle and Garrett were on their guard again as well.

The heaviest glare came from Caius, staring with enraged disbelief at Kate and Garrett in the snow. Aro was watching the same two, incredulity the strongest emotion on his face. He knew what Kate could do. He had felt her potency through Edward’s memories.

How can you tell? This isn't a third-person book!

quote:

Did he understand what was happening now—did he see that my shield had grown in strength and subtlety far beyond what Edward knew me to be capable of? Or did he think Garrett had learned his own form of immunity?

Who even gives a poo poo at this point? None of this poo poo matters. It's just words that are there.

quote:

The Volturi guard no longer stood at disciplined attention—they were crouched forward, waiting to spring the counterstrike the moment we attacked.

Behind them, forty-three witnesses watched with very different expressions than the ones they’d worn entering the clearing. Confusion had turned to suspicion. The lightning-fast destruction of Irina had shaken them all. What had been her crime?

How would you even know they're thinking that?

quote:

Without the immediate attack that Caius had counted on to distract from his rash act, the Volturi witnesses were left questioning exactly what was going on here. Aro glanced back swiftly while I watched, his face betraying him with one flash of vexation. His need for an audience had backfired badly.

The Volturi, meant to be our driving antagonists of the entire series, are the worst loving villains. On a good day, they're an outright force for order in the vampire world and ensure the survival of both their species and humanity. On a bad day, they're scheming villains who lie and cheat and murder people on the spot just to further their plans. But they're also incredibly stupid. In general the characters are all insanely dumb 24/7, which means the Volturi have to be the biggest idiots of them all to get outmaneuvered.

It calls into question if Aro even knew what Caius was doing or if he's just standing there in shock at what the dipshit did.

quote:

I heard Stefan and Vladimir murmur to each other in quiet glee at Aro’s discomfort.

Thank you, Vampire Hitlers.

quote:

Aro was obviously concerned with keeping his white hat, as the Romanians had put it. But I didn’t believe that the Volturi would leave us in peace just to save their reputation. After they finished with us, surely they would slaughter their witnesses for that purpose. I felt a strange, sudden pity for the mass of the strangers the Volturi had brought to watch us die. Demetri would hunt them until they were extinct, too.

Why?????

That makes no loving sense! The Volturi have ruled vampire society and kept it successfully hidden for 1500 years at this point! All we've seen of them is that they'll let you live in peace as long as you don't risk exposing vampires to humanity! What possible loving motivation would they have to suddenly kill dozens of vampires and render the entire Quileute tribe extinct right now? You said right there that they could save their reputation by leaving in peace!

quote:

For Jacob and Renesmee, for Alice and Jasper, for Alistair, and for these strangers who had not known what today would cost them, Demetri had to die.

Oh my God.

quote:

Aro touched Caius’s shoulder lightly. “Irina has been punished for bearing false witness against this child.” So that was to be their excuse. He went on. “Perhaps we should return to the matter at hand?”

Caius straightened, and his expression hardened into unreadability. He stared forward, seeing nothing. His face reminded me, oddly, of a person who’d just learned he’d been demoted.

So did Caius act with Aro's knowledge or not?

quote:

Aro drifted forward, Renata, Felix, and Demetri automatically moving with him.

“Just to be thorough,” he said, “I’d like to speak with a few of your witnesses. Procedure, you know.” He waved a hand dismissively.

Two things happened at once. Caius’s eyes focused on Aro, and the tiny cruel smile came back. And Edward hissed, his hands balling up in fists so tight it looked like the bones in his knuckles would split through his diamond-hard skin.

I was desperate to ask him what was going on, but Aro was close enough to hear even the quietest breath. I saw Carlisle glance anxiously at Edward’s face, and then his own face hardened.

What do you think is going to happen? Really?

Edward's a mind reader. His power is so established that he could demonstrate it on any of the Volturi witnesses to prove it if they didn't believe him. It would be trivial for him to reveal their schemes to everyone, turning the Volturi's witnesses to their side by exposing the corruption and guaranteeing victory in a fight. So why doesn't he do it?

Probably because of what we just heard. Bella pulls "The Volturi will inevitably kill us all and therefore I must attack Demetri" out of her rear end, but she's the viewpoint character who's virtually never shown to be factually wrong about any of her guesses unless the book outright tells you that it's questionable. Because Bella told us that a fight is inevitable, immediately having Edward do something like this means she either has to start a fight like she keeps implying or have Edward's actions immediately change the negotiating field and prove that Bella was wrong.

quote:

While Caius had blundered through useless accusations and injudicious attempts to trigger the fight, Aro must have been coming up with a more effective strategy.

Make up your loving mind! One sentence it's making it out like Aro and Caius have planned out these "layers of strategy", another it's having Caius be an idiot ruining all of Aro's plans.

quote:

Aro ghosted across the snow to the far western end of our line, stopping about ten yards from Amun and Kebi. The nearby wolves bristled angrily but held their positions.

As a reminder, vampires smell so bad to the wolves that it outright causes their noses to burn and drives them to instinctually attack.

And the Cullens brought the whole loving pack out.

quote:

“Ah, Amun, my southern neighbor!” Aro said warmly. “It has been so long since you’ve visited me.”

Amun was motionless with anxiety, Kebi a statue at his side. “Time means little; I never notice its passing,” Amun said through unmoving lips.

What? Is he mumbling through a closed mouth?

quote:

“So true,” Aro agreed. “But maybe you had another reason to stay away?”

Amun said nothing.

“It can be terribly time-consuming to organize newcomers into a coven. I know that well! I’m grateful I have others to deal with the tedium. I’m glad your new additions have fit in so well. I would have loved to have been introduced. I’m sure you were meaning to come to see me soon.”

“Of course,” Amun said, his tone so emotionless that it was impossible to tell if there was any fear or sarcasm in his assent.

“Oh well, we’re all together now! Isn’t it lovely?”

Amun nodded, his face blank.

So Aro basically just admitted in front of everyone else that he's here to kidnap every talented vampire.

quote:

“But the reason for your presence here is not as pleasant, unfortunately. Carlisle called on you to witness?”

“Yes.”

“And what did you witness for him?”

Amun spoke with the same cold lack of emotion. “I’ve observed the child in question. It was evident almost immediately that she was not an immortal child—”

“Perhaps we should define our terminology,” Aro interrupted, “now that there seem to be new classifications. By immortal child, you mean of course a human child who had been bitten and thus transformed into a vampire.”

“Yes, that’s what I meant.”

Yes, we know.

quote:

“What else did you observe about the child?”

“The same things that you surely saw in Edward’s mind. That the child is his biologically. That she grows. That she learns.”

“Yes, yes,” Aro said, a hint of impatience in his otherwise amiable tone. “But specifically in your few weeks here, what did you see?”

Amun’s brow furrowed. “That she grows… quickly.”

Aro smiled. “And do you believe that she should be allowed to live?”

Ah, a perfect time for Bella to start hissing and twisting her face in frozen fury again!

quote:

A hiss escaped my lips, and I was not alone. Half the vampires in our line echoed my protest. The sound was a low sizzle of fury hanging in the air. Across the meadow, a few of the Volturi witnesses made the same noise. Edward stepped back and wrapped a restraining hand around my wrist.

So after all of this, nothing has gotten the Volturi witnesses to start turning against them except the possibility of the amazingly perfect and lovable hybrid child (who they have just seen for the first time ever) being harmed.

quote:

Aro did not turn to the noise, but Amun glanced around uneasily.

“I did not come to make judgments,” he equivocated.

Aro laughed lightly. “Just your opinion.”

Amun’s chin lifted. “I see no danger in the child. She learns even more swiftly than she grows.”

"She's already learned how to be a manipulative bitch who bites her babysitters to get fed faster!"

quote:

Aro nodded, considering. After a moment, he turned away.

“Aro?” Amun called.

Aro whirled back. “Yes, friend?”

“I gave my witness. I have no more business here. My mate and I would like to take our leave now.”

Aro smiled warmly. “Of course. I’m so glad we were able to chat for a bit. And I’m sure we’ll see each other again soon.”

Amun’s lips were a tight line as he inclined his head once, acknowledging the barely concealed threat. He touched Kebi’s arm, and then the two of them ran quickly to the southern edge of the meadow and disappeared into the trees. I knew they wouldn’t stop running for a very long time.

And they will never be seen or matter again.

quote:

Aro was gliding back along the length of our line to the east, his guards hovering tensely. He stopped when he was in front of Siobhan’s massive form.

“Hello, dear Siobhan. You are as lovely as ever.”

Siobhan inclined her head, waiting.

That's been three head inclines in a row when talking to Aro.

quote:

“And you?” he asked. “Would you answer my questions the same way Amun has?”

“I would,” Siobhan said. “But I would perhaps add a little more. Renesmee understands the limitations. She’s no danger to humans—she blends in better than we do. She poses no threat of exposure.”

Not like it would be hard to blend in better than the vampires have...

quote:

“Can you think of none?” Aro asked soberly.

Edward growled, a low ripping sound deep in his throat.

Caius’s cloudy crimson eyes brightened.

Renata reached out protectively toward her master.

And Garrett freed Kate to take a step forward, ignoring Kate’s hand as she tried to caution him this time.

Would you guys stop antagonizing them?!

quote:

Siobhan answered slowly, “I don’t think I follow you.”

Aro drifted lightly back, casually, but toward the rest of his guard. Renata, Felix, and Demetri were closer than his shadow.

“There is no broken law,” Aro said in a placating voice, but every one of us could hear that a qualification was coming. I fought back the rage that tried to claw its way up my throat and snarl out my defiance. I hurled the fury into my shield, thickening it, making sure everyone was protected.

“No broken law,” Aro repeated. “However, does it follow then that there is no danger? No.” He shook his head gently. “That is a separate issue.”

That is...technically correct, actually.

quote:

The only response was the tightening of already stretched nerves, and Maggie, at the fringes of our band of fighters, shaking her head with slow anger.

Aro paced thoughtfully, looking as if he floated rather than touched the ground with his feet. I noticed every pass took him closer to the protection of his guard.

What's this whole "floating" thing? She's been using that since New Moon.

quote:

“She is unique… utterly, impossibly unique. Such a waste it would be, to destroy something so lovely. Especially when we could learn so much…” He sighed, as if unwilling to go on. “But there is danger, danger that cannot simply be ignored.”

No one answered his assertion. It was dead silent as he continued in a monologue that sounded as if he spoke it for himself only.

One that I'm sure he practiced in the mirror many times.

quote:

“How ironic it is that as the humans advance, as their faith in science grows and controls their world, the more free we are from discovery. Yet, as we become ever more uninhibited by their disbelief in the supernatural, they become strong enough in their technologies that, if they wished, they could actually pose a threat to us, even destroy some of us.

“For thousands and thousands of years, our secrecy has been more a matter of convenience, of ease, than of actual safety. This last raw, angry century has given birth to weapons of such power that they endanger even immortals. Now our status as mere myth in truth protects us from these weak creatures we hunt. “This amazing child”—he lifted his hand palm down as if to rest it on Renesmee, though he was forty yards from her now, almost within the Volturi formation again—“if we could but know her potential—know with absolute certainty that she could always remain shrouded within the obscurity that protects us. But we know nothing of what she will become! Her own parents are plagued by fears of her future. We cannot know what she will grow to be.” He paused, looking first at our witnesses, and then, meaningfully, at his own. His voice gave a good imitation of sounding torn by his words.

Still looking at his own witnesses, he spoke again. “Only the known is safe. Only the known is tolerable. The unknown is… a vulnerability.”

And that, right there, is the most bullshit way Aro could have put it. Is it completely known that there's zero danger whatsoever? No, not exactly. Renesmee's mysterious ability to put everyone under her spell instantly is absolutely a cause for concern. But they don't seem to even consider that (likely because Meyer herself doesn't consider it anything except a sign of how pure and precious Renesmee is), and instead Aro makes a vague "Well the unknown is scary, so we must destroy it" monologue that can easily be countered by a simplistic moral.

quote:

Caius’s smile widened viciously.

Please stop making it obvious how bullshit this is.

quote:

“You’re reaching, Aro,” Carlisle said in a bleak voice.

“Peace, friend.” Aro smiled, his face as kind, his voice as gentle, as ever. “Let us not be hasty. Let us look at this from every side.”

“May I offer a side to be considered?” Garrett petitioned in a level tone, taking another step forward.

“Nomad,” Aro said, nodding in permission.

Do you just classify people by where they live?

quote:

Garrett’s chin lifted. His eyes focused on the huddled mass at the end of the meadow, and he spoke directly to the Volturi witnesses.

There! Another lifted chin!

quote:

“I came here at Carlisle’s request, as the others, to witness,” he said. “That is certainly no longer necessary, with regard to the child. We all see what she is.

“I stayed to witness something else. You.” He jabbed his finger toward the wary vampires. “Two of you I know—Makenna, Charles—and I can see that many of you others are also wanderers, roamers like myself. Answering to none. Think carefully on what I tell you now.

“These ancient ones did not come here for justice as they told you. We suspected as much, and now it has been proved. They came, misled, but with a valid excuse for their action. Witness now as they seek flimsy excuses to continue their true mission. Witness them struggle to find a justification for their true purpose—to destroy this family here.” He gestured toward Carlisle and Tanya.

“The Volturi come to erase what they perceive as the competition. Perhaps, like me, you look at this clan’s golden eyes and marvel. They are difficult to understand, it’s true. But the ancient ones look and see something besides their strange choice. They see power.

“I have witnessed the bonds within this family—I say family and not coven. These strange golden-eyed ones deny their very natures. But in return have they found something worth even more, perhaps, than mere gratification of desire? I’ve made a little study of them in my time here, and it seems to me that intrinsic to this intense family binding—that which makes them possible at all—is the peaceful character of this life of sacrifice. There is no aggression here like we all saw in the large southern clans that grew and diminished so quickly in their wild feuds. There is no thought for domination. And Aro knows this better than I do.”

Yes, the Cullens and Denali have been such a close family! They've never once been making plans for how to maim and kill each other to get their way, or refusing to help in a battle because one of their members is upset at the other coven! They've truly been unified forever through the power of Love and Deer Blood!

quote:

I watched Aro’s face as Garrett’s words condemned him, waiting tensely for some response. But Aro’s face was only politely amused, as if waiting for a tantrum-throwing child to realize that no one was paying attention to his histrionics.

Oh, like we've been this entire series?

quote:

“Carlisle assured us all, when he told us what was coming, that he did not call us here to fight. These witnesses”—Garrett pointed to Siobhan and Liam—“agreed to give evidence, to slow the Volturi advance with their presence so that Carlisle would get the chance to present his case.

“But some of us wondered”—his eyes flashed to Eleazar’s face—“if Carlisle having truth on his side would be enough to stop the so-called justice. Are the Volturi here to protect the safety of our secrecy, or to protect their own power? Did they come to destroy an illegal creation, or a way of life? Could they be satisfied when the danger turned out to be no more than a misunderstanding? Or would they push the issue without the excuse of justice?

“We have the answer to all these questions. We heard it in Aro’s lying words—we have one with a gift of knowing such things for certain—and we see it now in Caius’s eager smile. Their guard is just a mindless weapon, a tool in their masters’ quest for domination.

“So now there are more questions, questions that you must answer. Who rules you, nomads? Do you answer to someone’s will besides your own? Are you free to choose your path, or will the Volturi decide how you will live?

“I came to witness. I stay to fight. The Volturi care nothing for the death of the child. They seek the death of our free will.”

Give the nomads liberty or give them death!

The stupidest part is he's all "We have one with a gift of knowing!" and not only are there two of them (Maggie and Edward), neither has said anything! They've just been standing around, growling and making faces and squeezing their fists without saying a goddamn word. It's taken Garrett, someone we barely know who likewise barely knows them, to actually step forward and tell everyone what's going on.

But why should the nomads care? They've been living their life unhindered for centuries. The Volturi don't give a poo poo about them. If they let the Cullens die for defying the Volturi, they lose nothing. All we have to go on is everyone claiming that the Volturi are so comically evil that they'll murder every witness in a rage after this.

quote:

He turned, then, to face the ancients. “So come, I say! Let’s hear no more lying rationalizations. Be honest in your intents as we will be honest in ours. We will defend our freedom. You will or will not attack it. Choose now, and let these witnesses see the true issue debated here.”

Once more he looked to the Volturi witnesses, his eyes probing each face. The power of his words was evident in their expressions. “You might consider joining us. If you think the Volturi will let you live to tell this tale, you are mistaken. We may all be destroyed”—he shrugged—“but then again, maybe not. Perhaps we are on more equal footing than they know. Perhaps the Volturi have finally met their match. I promise you this, though—if we fall, so do you.”

He's basically speaking out loud what I've been saying: we have no way of knowing which way this is going, it shifts gears so hard between paragraphs that it causes whiplash, and it's clearly multiple competing ideas all smashing into one another.

quote:

He ended his heated speech by stepping back to Kate’s side and then sliding forward in a half-crouch, prepared for the onslaught.

battle pose

quote:

Aro smiled. “A very pretty speech, my revolutionary friend.”

Garrett remained poised for attack. “Revolutionary?” he growled. “Who am I revolting against, might I ask? Are you my king? Do you wish me to call you master, too, like your sycophantic guard?”

“Peace, Garrett,” Aro said tolerantly. “I meant only to refer to your time of birth. Still a patriot, I see.”

Because vampires are basically locked as they are at the time of their transformation, Garrett is canonically stuck in the American Revolution mindset.

quote:

Garrett glared back furiously.

“Let us ask our witnesses,” Aro suggested. “Let us hear their thoughts before we make our decision. Tell us, friends”—and he turned his back casually on us, moving a few yards toward his mass of nervous observers hovering even closer now to the edge of the forest—“what do you think of all this? I can assure you the child is not what we feared. Do we take the risk and let the child live? Do we put our world in jeopardy to preserve their family intact? Or does earnest Garrett have the right of it? Will you join them in a fight against our sudden quest for dominion?”

It's impossible to tell who's motivated by what at this point. The Cullens came into this saying that they want a peaceful resolution through negotiation. Eleazar tells them the Volturi are using this as a pretense to recruit whoever's most powerful and will lie and cheat to just kill everyone else and take what they want. Bella is convinced that a fight is about to happen but also wants people to negotiate but also wants everyone to stand up to the Volturi and call them out but also thinks nobody should do that because it'll just start a fight and they'll LOSE and ALL DIE and OH MY GOD I'M SO DEPRESSED

I think Forever Dawn was just over by this point. Once the deception got revealed and Victoria was killed, there was no real tension left. This climax has lasted several long chapters now and nothing has really happened at all except Irina's execution. It's spinning its wheels.

quote:

The witnesses met his gaze with careful faces. One, a small black-haired woman, looked briefly at the dark blond male at her side.

“Are those our only choices?” she asked suddenly, gaze flashing back to Aro. “Agree with you, or fight against you?”

“Of course not, most charming Makenna,” Aro said, appearing horrified that anyone could come to that conclusion. “You may go in peace, of course, as Amun did, even if you disagree with the council’s decision.”

Makenna looked at her mate’s face again, and he nodded minutely.

“We did not come here for a fight.” She paused, exhaled, then said, “We came here to witness. And our witness is that this condemned family is innocent. Everything that Garrett claimed is the truth.”

What was that? You wanted more characters dropped on you? Here you go!

Makenna and Charles are yet another pair of vampires that are so much more interesting than Edward and Bella that it's a crime. According to the Illustrated Guide, Makenna grew up in a family in Malta whose distant ancestor, Luca, chose to remain with his mortal family for the next 1500 years to guide and protect them. Select members of the family would remain mortal or be turned, with Luca being kind to his family and helping them prosper. Renata of the Volturi guard was actually one of his family members, turned in the 1260s. Makenna was turned in 1946 and she changed Charles, a Danish law student she was in love with before she became a vampire and willingly accepted the transformation to stay with her.

quote:

“Ah,” Aro said sadly. “I’m sorry you see us in that way. But such is the nature of our work.”

“It is not what I see, but what I feel,” Makenna’s maize-haired mate spoke in a high, nervous voice. He glanced at Garrett. “Garrett said they have ways of knowing lies. I, too, know when I am hearing the truth, and when I am not.” With frightened eyes he moved closer to his mate, waiting for Aro’s reaction.

Sorry, maize-haired mate? I can't move past that phrase.

quote:

“Do not fear us, friend Charles. No doubt the patriot truly believes what he says,” Aro chuckled lightly, and Charles’s eyes narrowed.

“That is our witness,” Makenna said. “We’re leaving now.”

She and Charles backed away slowly, not turning before they were lost from view in the trees. One other stranger began to retreat the same way, then three more darted after him.

How far were they from the trees? Did everyone just stand there for 5 minutes watching them?

quote:

I evaluated the thirty-seven vampires that stayed. A few of them appeared just too confused to make the decision. But the majority of them seemed only too aware of the direction this confrontation had taken. I guessed that they were giving up a head start in favor of knowing exactly who would be chasing after them.

I was sure Aro saw the same thing I did. He turned away, walking back to his guard with a measured pace. He stopped in front of them and addressed them in a clear voice.

“We are outnumbered, dearest ones,” he said. “We can expect no outside help. Should we leave this question undecided to save ourselves?”

“No, master,” they whispered in unison.

“Is the protection of our world worth perhaps the loss of some of our number?”

“Yes,” they breathed. “We are not afraid.”

"Breathed"? Why are you talking like you're enraptured and ready to blow him?

quote:

Aro smiled and turned to his black-clad companions.

“Brothers,” Aro said somberly, “there is much to consider here.”

“Let us counsel,” Caius said eagerly.

“Let us counsel,” Marcus repeated in an uninterested tone.

Ah, hello Marcus. Nice to see you join us.

quote:

Aro turned his back to us again, facing the other ancients. They joined hands to form a black-shrouded triangle.

As soon as Aro’s attention was engaged in the silent counsel, two more of their witnesses disappeared silently into the forest. I hoped, for their sakes, that they were fast.

This was it. Carefully, I loosened Renesmee’s arms from my neck.

Oh yeah, Bella has still been in the pose of motherhood clutching Renesmee this entire time.

quote:

“You remember what I told you?”

Tears welled in her eyes, but she nodded. “I love you,” she whispered.

Edward was watching us now, his topaz eyes wide. Jacob stared at us from the corner of his big dark eye.

“I love you, too,” I said, and then I touched her locket. “More than my own life.” I kissed her forehead.

Jacob whined uneasily.

I stretched up on my toes and whispered into his ear. “Wait until they’re totally distracted, then run with her. Get as far from this place as you possibly can. When you’ve gone as far as you can on foot, she has what you need to get you in the air.”

"There's not like, clothes or food or anything in there. Just a bunch of money so he can walk naked into a store and buy everything else. Also I forgot to get you a visa for going to Brazil, but I'm sure you can manage that on your own! Bye kids!"

Oh yeah, don't forget that she just told the Alpha of the pack that all the other wolves get to die. He gets to run away and live with his girl, every other member of the tribe gets slaughtered for his benefit!

quote:

Edward’s and Jacob’s faces were almost identical masks of horror, despite the fact that one of them was an animal.

That looks a lot funnier than you probably imagined in your head, Meyer.

quote:

Renesmee reached for Edward, and he took her in his arms. They hugged each other tightly.

“This is what you kept from me?” he whispered over her head.

“From Aro,” I breathed.

“Alice?” I nodded.

His face twisted with understanding and pain. Had that been the expression on my face when I’d finally put together Alice’s clues?

He's finally realizing that Bella arranged everything so that they two of them would have to kill themselves and leave their daughter and her groomer behind.

quote:

Jacob was growling quietly, a low rasp that was as even and unbroken as a purr. His hackles were stiff and his teeth exposed.

Edward kissed Renesmee’s forehead and both her cheeks, then he lifted her to Jacob’s shoulder. She scrambled agilely onto his back, pulling herself into place with handfuls of his fur, and fit herself easily into the dip between his massive shoulder blades.

Jacob turned to me, his expressive eyes full of agony, the rumbling growl still grating through his chest.

“You’re the only one we could ever trust her with,” I murmured to him. “If you didn’t love her so much, I could never bear this. I know you can protect her, Jacob.”

"Your brain is completely overtaken by an obsessive need to do everything she commands!"

quote:

He whined again, and dipped his head to butt it against my shoulder.

“I know,” I whispered. “I love you, too, Jake. You’ll always be my best man.”

A tear the size of a baseball rolled into the russet fur beneath his eye.

Edward leaned his head against the same shoulder where he’d placed Renesmee. “Goodbye, Jacob, my brother… my son.”

That, right there, wins for the creepiest line in the book.

quote:

The others were not oblivious to the farewell scene. Their eyes were locked on the silent black triangle, but I could tell they were listening.

“Is there no hope, then?” Carlisle whispered. There was no fear in his voice. Just determination and acceptance.

“There is absolutely hope,” I murmured back. It could be true, I told myself. “I only know my own fate.”

Edward took my hand. He knew that he was included. When I said my fate, there was no question that I meant the two of us. We were just halves of the whole.

In case you had any questions, that's Bella right there telling you that she and Edward are both back to their mutually suicidal behavior from New Moon. As soon as they come under threat, they both immediately fling themselves into the fire and deny their daughter her parents, traumatizing her for life, to leave her with the moody teenager who's supposed to groom her into his bride.

quote:

Esme’s breath was ragged behind me. She moved past us, touching our faces as she passed, to stand beside Carlisle and hold his hand.

Suddenly, we were surrounded by murmured goodbyes and I love you’s.

“If we live through this,” Garrett whispered to Kate, “I’ll follow you anywhere, woman.”

“Now he tells me,” she muttered.

Would you have ever guessed they were meant to be lovers now if I hadn't told you?

quote:

Rosalie and Emmett kissed quickly but passionately.

Tia caressed Benjamin’s face. He smiled back cheerfully, catching her hand and holding it against his cheek.

I didn’t see all the expressions of love and pain. I was distracted by a sudden fluttering pressure against the outside of my shield. I couldn’t tell where it came from, but it felt like it was directed at the edges of our group, Siobhan and Liam particularly. The pressure did no damage, and then it was gone.

Maggie? Nah, she doesn't exist.

quote:

There was no change in the silent, still forms of the counseling ancients. But perhaps there was some signal I’d missed.

“Get ready,” I whispered to the others. “It’s starting.”

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
A tear the size of a baseball means Jacob has eyes like a giant squid.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I think that was supposed to be a big Law and Order courtroom showdown but geez.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I would love a sequel where Reneesme actually does grow up to be an immense evil.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dienes posted:

A tear the size of a baseball means Jacob has eyes like a giant squid.

"Identical looks of horror."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXgSLTABjU4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

It's starting? What's starting? A musical number? This is Twilight, things don't happen.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

It is definitely not starting, Alice and Jasper are just coming back with the resolution to the plot so no action has bother to happen.

Seems about time for that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shwoo posted:

It is definitely not starting, Alice and Jasper are just coming back with the resolution to the plot so no action has bother to happen.

Seems about time for that.

Well that's completely silly! Despite all prior knowledge, Bella has been very clear that Alice and Jasper ran away in fear! Showing up like that with an immediate end to all hostilities would make about a quarter of the book completely useless!

There's no way Stephenie Meyer would do that!

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Right now I'm mostly just invested in seeing if the Cullens agree to somehow sacrifice Leah as a show of good faith for peace.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Grammarchist posted:

Right now I'm mostly just invested in seeing if the Cullens agree to somehow sacrifice Leah as a show of good faith for peace.

Spoilers for the film version: the huge battle that never happens is all a premonition of Alice’s and in it Leah falls to her death in wolf form due to Benjamin’s powers being out of control. She doesn’t even get lines in the film.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Spoilers for the film version: the huge battle that never happens is all a premonition of Alice’s and in it Leah falls to her death in wolf form due to Benjamin’s powers being out of control. She doesn’t even get lines in the film.

I really have no desire to see the movies or read the books (beyond what's here), so I read that spoiler.

So was this presented as Everyone in the audience knows it's just a premonition because it's part of the film's narrative or it was a big old "it was all just a dream"? Because while both are enormous wastes of time narratively speaking, but the second option is unforgivable and therefore a far more hilarious situation to me

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

I really have no desire to see the movies or read the books (beyond what's here), so I read that spoiler.

So was this presented as Everyone in the audience knows it's just a premonition because it's part of the film's narrative or it was a big old "it was all just a dream"? Because while both are enormous wastes of time narratively speaking, but the second option is unforgivable and therefore a far more hilarious situation to me

The latter. It was basically a giant troll on the fanbase.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

MrNemo posted:

No see, Volturi bad mean doodoo heads.

Also it sounds like Bella's figuring out how to expand her shield required dropping her internal shield (I guess somehow protecting her from other people under her shield? Which makes no sense but anyway) means she should be readable by Edward now that she's covering him.

It's even stupider than that. Everyone else can affect each other under the shield, but nothing can affect her because of Reasons. I don't think she has a separate internal shield unless I misread that.

Also for people who haven't had the pleasure of watching the movie, the fight starts with Carlisle dying. It ends with Bella killing Aro.

hyperhazard fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 19, 2020

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
e =/= q

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Motherfucker I'm tired

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

The latter. It was basically a giant troll on the fanbase.

:bisonyes:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 38: Power

quote:

“Chelsea is trying to break our bindings," Edward whispered. “But she can’t find them. She can’t feel us here.…” His eyes cut to me. “Are you doing that?”

I smiled grimly at him. “I am all over this.”

From tearful goodbyes to your daughter and family to smiling smugly about how awesome you are.

Also, there's another huge Volturi problem showing up here. The Cullens are absolutely convinced that the end is nigh, they're all about to be killed. But as I asked before: why? They've gone over how Renesmee clearly isn't an immortal child and is not a present danger, even if she might change to become one in the future. The "trial" has shifted to being entirely about whether or not Renesmee should be allowed to live or if the risk is too great, plus a minor aside of Garrett making an anarchist rant. They've never implied that they plan on killing everyone else for making a hybrid. Their concern has been entirely on Renesmee being an unknown.

Technically the only reason we have to believe it is because Bella keeps insisting they're evil, but I have my own theory: the rest of the Cullens know that Bella and Edward will fight to the death as soon as the Volturi go after their daughter and Jacob will turn it into a chase. This will in turn force the rest of the Quileute to charge into battle to save his rear end, children included. There's no way the Romanians won't take the opportunity to start ripping heads off. It will look very obvious from the Volturi side that the Cullens and their allies set this up.

Bella and Edward (with the mind controlled assistance of Jacob) have basically acted in a way to force a battle. It's all arranged so that either they win, or everyone on their side dies.

quote:

Edward lurched away from me suddenly, his hand reaching out toward Carlisle. At the same time, I felt a much sharper jab against the shield where it wrapped protectively around Carlisle’s light. It wasn’t painful, but it wasn’t pleasant, either.

"Lurched"? How the hell is he moving here?

quote:

“Carlisle? Are you all right?” Edward gasped frantically.

“Yes. Why?”

“Jane,” Edward answered.

The moment that he said her name, a dozen pointed attacks hit in a second, stabbing all over the elastic shield, aimed at twelve different bright spots. I flexed, making sure the shield was undamaged. It didn’t seem like Jane had been able to pierce it. I glanced around quickly; everyone was fine.

“Incredible,” Edward said.

Even in the middle of blocking attacks, Edward has to stop to heap praise on Bella's perfection. For things he already knows she can do!

quote:

“Why aren’t they waiting for the decision?” Tanya hissed.

“Normal procedure,” Edward answered brusquely. “They usually incapacitate those on trial so they can’t escape.”

Why the hell would you have Jane do that? She's a sadistic torturer! Alec can just blind and deafen them! How is anyone going to support the Volturi if they see potentially innocent vampires being tortured just as the equivalent of leg shackles?

quote:

I looked across at Jane, who was staring at our group with furious disbelief. I was pretty sure that, besides me, she’d never seen anyone remain standing through her fiery assault.

It probably wasn’t very mature. But I figured it would take Aro about half a second to guess—if he hadn’t already—that my shield was more powerful than Edward had known; I already had a big target on my forehead and there was really no point in trying to keep the extent of what I could do a secret. So I grinned a huge, smug smile right at Jane.

Her eyes narrowed, and I felt another stab of pressure, this time directed at me.

I pulled my lips wider, showing my teeth.

Bella, who thinks the Volturi are way more powerful than all of them and will kill all of them effortlessly if this turns into a fight, has just informed all of them that she can neutralize their powers. Which makes her their #1 target in a fight.

quote:

Jane let out a high-pitched scream of a snarl. Everyone jumped, even the disciplined guard. Everyone but the ancients, who didn’t so much as look up from their conference. Her twin caught her arm as she crouched to spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIaFtAKnqBU

quote:

The Romanians started chuckling with dark anticipation.

“I told you this was our time,” Vladimir said to Stefan.

“Just look at the witch’s face,” Stefan chortled.

Great. You brought the guys who would probably attack even if you didn't want them to.

quote:

Alec patted his sister’s shoulder soothingly, then tucked her under his arm. He turned his face to us, perfectly smooth, completely angelic.

I waited for some pressure, some sign of his attack, but I felt nothing. He continued to stare in our direction, his pretty face composed. Was he attacking? Was he getting through my shield? Was I the only one who could still see him? I clutched at Edward’s hand.

“Are you okay?” I choked out.

I thought you were supposed to be the badass super vampire who can block every attack? As soon as the Designated Girl Fights end, Bella is suddenly stumbling and pawing at her big husband for help.

quote:

“Yes,” he whispered.

“Is Alec trying?”

Edward nodded. “His gift is slower than Jane’s. It creeps. It will touch us in a few seconds.”

Why? Everyone else's powers work instantly.

quote:

I saw it then, when I had a clue of what to look for.

A strange clear haze was oozing across the snow, nearly invisible against the white. It reminded me of a mirage—a slight warping of the view, a hint of a shimmer. I pushed my shield out from Carlisle and the rest of the front line, afraid to have the slinking mist too close when it hit. What if it stole right through my intangible protection? Should we run?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN1WwnEDWAM

Yes, what if your totally impenetrable shield that has never been broken by anything would suddenly fail right now and everyone has to run or die?

This is the most laughable attempt at adding tension I've ever seen, especially in such a best-selling book. Who needs actual stakes or damage taken when you can just have the protagonist succeed at everything but go "What if I fail and everyone dies and it's all my fault?" once or twice a page?

quote:

A low rumbling murmured through the ground under our feet, and a gust of wind blew the snow into sudden flurries between our position and the Volturi’s. Benjamin had seen the creeping threat, too, and now he tried to blow the mist away from us. The snow made it easy to see where he threw the wind, but the mist didn’t react in any way. It was like air blowing harmlessly through a shadow; the shadow was immune.

You idiot! It's a psychic power! You can't just blow on it!

quote:

The triangular formation of the ancients finally broke apart when, with a racking groan, a deep, narrow fissure opened in a long zigzag across the middle of the clearing. The earth rocked under my feet for a moment. The drifts of snow plummeted into the hole, but the mist skipped right across it, as untouched by gravity as it had been by wind.

Aro and Caius watched the opening earth with wide eyes. Marcus looked in the same direction without emotion.

Jesus Christ, Ben! You just opened a rift in the Earth's crust to try and make a psychic power fall into it! You've destabilized the geography of the Pacific Northwest because you thought gravity worked on magic!

It's absolutely unfathomable how stupid the vampires in these books are.

quote:

They didn’t speak; they waited, too, as the mist approached us. The wind shrieked louder but didn’t change the course of the mist. Jane was smiling now.

How the hell does Alec even succeed at incapacitating anyone? It's moving so slowly that you can see it coming!

Wait, what is this power? She's so far called it a mist, a hazy shimmer, and a shadow. None of these look like the others!

quote:

And then the mist hit a wall.

I could taste it as soon as it touched my shield—it had a dense, sweet, cloying flavor. It made me remember dimly the numbness of Novocain on my tongue.

Why is she suddenly tasting and feeling all of the powers hitting her shield? She never did that before.

quote:

The mist curled upward, seeking a breach, a weakness. It found none. The fingers of searching haze twisted upward and around, trying to find a way in, and in the process illustrating the astonishing size of the protective screen.

There were gasps on both sides of Benjamin’s gorge.

“Well done, Bella!” Benjamin cheered in a low voice.

"Cheering" and "low voice" are completely different things!

quote:

My smile returned.

Where did all of the drama from the last chapter go? I mean it sucked but at least Meyer was trying to build some kind of tension. Now Bella's just standing here smugly blocking every attack and grinning while the Volturi scream and stamp their feet in frustration.

quote:

I could see Alec’s narrowed eyes, doubt on his face for the first time as his mist swirled harmlessly around the edges of my shield.

And then I knew that I could do this. Obviously, I would be the number-one priority, the first one to die, but as long as I held, we were on more than equal footing with the Volturi. We still had Benjamin and Zafrina; they had no supernatural help at all. As long as I held.

Yes, that's what I've been loving saying! You can block all their powers and you have someone who can blind the rest of them and a guy who can throw loving fireballs at them but somehow hasn't had that idea this whole time! Hell, the only reason they know to target you first is because you were making it really obvious that you were doing this!

Seriously, this is the dumbest book I've ever read. Even Handbook for Mortals didn't have this many people acting this dumb for this long to keep the plot moving.

quote:

“I’m going to have to concentrate,” I whispered to Edward. “When it comes to hand to hand, it’s going to be harder to keep the shield around the right people.”

“I’ll keep them off you.”

“No. You have to get to Demetri. Zafrina will keep them away from me.”

Zafrina nodded solemnly. “No one will touch this young one,” she promised Edward.

Are these the special vampire whispers that other vampires can't all hear from a hundred yards away? Just checking.

quote:

“I’d go after Jane and Alec myself, but I can do more good here.”

“Jane’s mine,” Kate hissed. “She needs a taste of her own medicine.”

“And Alec owes me many lives, but I will settle for his,” Vladimir growled from the other side. “He’s mine.”

“I just want Caius,” Tanya said evenly.

The others started divvying up opponents, too, but they were quickly interrupted.

No teamwork allowed! Everyone takes one (1) Volturi in a duel!

Meyer's obsession with equal numbers in a fight seems to be because she can't imagine any sort of tactics. Only Tanya is bothering to go after the leaders, and only out of personal vengeance. Alec and Jane's powers are neutralized, so why not go after the big dudes like Felix who can actually brawl without powers?

quote:

Aro, staring calmly at Alec’s ineffective mist, finally spoke.

“Before we vote,” he began.

I shook my head angrily. I was tired of this charade. The bloodlust was igniting in me again, and I was sorry that I would help the others more by standing still. I wanted to fight.

Yes, you do want to fight, don't you? Is that why it seems like you've arranged everything so that you'd make a fight and dramatic sacrifice of everyone inevitable?

Think about it. They did nothing to inform the Volturi of Bella being transformed in accordance with their decree and did nothing to communicate with them about Renesmee when warned that they would be finding out about her. Instead, the Cullens gathered multiple covens with long-standing rivalries with the Volturi (including allowing the presence of their greatest enemies, who want nothing more than to kill them and rule the world as they believe is their right) and the entire Quileute tribe (even the children!) as backup warriors. They put everyone through overly dramatic reveals of Renesmee without explanation, any of which could have ended in a fatal disaster, and then pulled the same stunt on the Volturi even knowing it could go wrong. When Bella found out that she had access to a document and identity forger, she purposefully only got documents for Jacob and Renesmee. When making plans for the battle, she doesn't hesitate before sending Edward out to fight while she stays in the back with Zafrina protecting her. She's barely been restraining herself from tearing the Volturi's throats out during these negotiations and has a known history of senseless attempts to die.

It's very easy to interpret this entire third book as Bella, subconsciously or otherwise, feeding her fatalistic desire to sacrifice herself. Unwilling to merely throw herself on the pyre, everything has been brought to a place where Bella Swan will sacrifice her entire family, the entire Quileute population, and multiple smaller covens and dozens of nomads in one big confrontation in the snow. A Hitler-esque scorched earth policy on everything she knows.

quote:

“Let me remind you,” Aro continued, “whatever the council’s decision, there need be no violence here.”

Edward snarled out a dark laugh.

How do you snarl a laugh?

quote:

Aro stared at him sadly. “It will be a regrettable waste to our kind to lose any of you. But you especially, young Edward, and your newborn mate. The Volturi would be glad to welcome many of you into our ranks. Bella, Benjamin, Zafrina, Kate. There are many choices before you. Consider them.”

Chelsea’s attempt to sway us fluttered impotently against my shield. Aro’s gaze swept across our hard eyes, looking for any indication of hesitation. From his expression, he found none.

I knew he was desperate to keep Edward and me, to imprison us the way he had hoped to enslave Alice. But this fight was too big. He would not win if I lived. I was fiercely glad to be so powerful that I left him no way not to kill me.

Benjamin can control the loving elements! He just fractured the planet's crust right in front of you!

quote:

“Let us vote, then,” he said with apparent reluctance.

Caius spoke with eager haste. “The child is an unknown quantity. There is no reason to allow such a risk to exist. It must be destroyed, along with all who protect it.” He smiled in expectation.

Yes, you'll definitely manage to win the battle. What with your utter lack of functioning powers, the enemy having the most powerful vampires in existence, and your witnesses fleeing instead of backing you up.

Granted, they might have a chance with how stupid our protagonists are.

quote:

I fought back a shriek of defiance to answer his cruel smirk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOGTd1vejKw

quote:

Marcus lifted his uncaring eyes, seeming to look through us as he voted.

“I see no immediate danger. The child is safe enough for now. We can always reevaluate later. Let us leave in peace.” His voice was even fainter than his brothers’ feathery sighs.

Marcus just wants to return to sitting and doing nothing forever.

quote:

None of the guard relaxed their ready positions at his disagreeing words. Caius’s anticipatory grin did not falter. It was as if Marcus hadn’t spoken at all.

Why is Marcus even one of the leaders? He does nothing. It's canon that he's so depressed over his wife dying that he just sits around moping forever. He isn't even respected by the rest of the Volturi.

quote:

“I must make the deciding vote, it seems,” Aro mused.

Suddenly, Edward stiffened at my side. “Yes!” he hissed.

I risked a glance at him. His face glowed with an expression of triumph that I didn’t understand—it was the expression an angel of destruction might wear while the world burned. Beautiful and terrifying.

Even when he's happy in victory, Edward manages to naturally look terrifying.

quote:

There was a low reaction from the guard, an uneasy murmur.

“Aro?” Edward called, nearly shouted, undisguised victory in his voice.

Aro hesitated for a second, assessing this new mood warily before he answered. “Yes, Edward? You have something further…?”

“Perhaps,” Edward said pleasantly, controlling his unexplained excitement. “First, if I could clarify one point?”

“Certainly,” Aro said, raising his eyebrows, nothing now but polite interest in his tone. My teeth ground together; Aro was never more dangerous than when he was gracious.

Except in New Moon, when he was extremely lenient about the breach in vampire law.

quote:

“The danger you foresee from my daughter—this stems entirely from our inability to guess how she will develop? That is the crux of the matter?”

“Yes, friend Edward,” Aro agreed. “If we could but be positive… be sure that, as she grows, she will be able to stay concealed from the human world—not endanger the safety of our obscurity…” He trailed off, shrugging.

“So, if we could only know for sure,” Edward suggested, “exactly what she will become… then there would be no need for a council at all?”

“If there was some way to be absolutely sure,” Aro agreed, his feathery voice slightly more shrill. He couldn’t see where Edward was leading him. Neither could I. “Then, yes, there would be no question to debate.”

“And we would part in peace, good friends once again?” Edward asked with a hint of irony.

Even more shrill. “Of course, my young friend. Nothing would please me more.”

Why is his voice growing in pitch as he speaks? Is he inhaling helium?

quote:

Edward chuckled exultantly. “Then I do have something more to offer.”

You can't "chuckle exultantly."

quote:

Aro’s eyes narrowed. “She is absolutely unique. Her future can only be guessed at.”

“Not absolutely unique,” Edward disagreed. “Rare, certainly, but not one of a kind.”

So....all the stuff about how Renesmee is perfect and unique and that's why she's so special was bullshit all along?

quote:

I fought the shock, the sudden hope springing to life, as it threatened to distract me. The sickly-looking mist still swirled around the edges of my shield. And, as I struggled to focus, I felt again the sharp, stabbing pressure against my protective hold.

“Aro, would you ask Jane to stop attacking my wife?” Edward asked courteously. “We are still discussing evidence.”

quote:

Aro raised one hand. “Peace, dear ones. Let us hear him out.”

The pressure disappeared. Jane bared her teeth at me; I couldn’t help grinning back at her.

“Why don’t you join us, Alice?” Edward called loudly.

“Alice,” Esme whispered in shock.

Alice!

Alice, Alice, Alice!

“Alice!” “Alice!” other voices murmured around me.

“Alice,” Aro breathed.

Alice!

quote:

Relief and violent joy surged through me. It took all my will to keep the shield where it was. Alec’s mist still tested, seeking a weakness—Jane would see if I left any holes.

So when she's happy, her shield doesn't work.

quote:

And then I heard them running through the forest, flying, closing the distance as quickly as they could with no slowing effort at silence.

Both sides were motionless in expectation. The Volturi witnesses scowled in fresh confusion.

Then Alice danced into the clearing from the southwest, and I felt like the bliss of seeing her face again might knock me off my feet. Jasper was only inches behind her, his sharp eyes fierce. Close after them ran three strangers; the first was a tall, muscular female with wild dark hair—obviously Kachiri. She had the same elongated limbs and features as the other Amazons, even more pronounced in her case.

Of course, the other Amazonian just has to be wild and freaky.

quote:

The next was a small olive-toned female vampire with a long braid of black hair bobbing against her back. Her deep burgundy eyes flitted nervously around the confrontation before her.

And the last was a young man… not quite as fast nor quite as fluid in his run. His skin was an impossible rich, dark brown. His wary eyes flashed across the gathering, and they were the color of warm teak. His hair was black and braided, too, like the woman’s, though not as long. He was beautiful.

As he neared us, a new sound sent shock waves through the watching crowd—the sound of another heartbeat, accelerated with exertion.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 21, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alice?

Alice!

Alice Alice?

Alice Alice Alice.

Alice.........

Alice.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Please don't tell me that the new ending is mating Renesmee and the other human-vampire hybrid and Jacob ends up in a reverse male harem.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Leng posted:

Please don't tell me that the new ending is mating Renesmee and the other human-vampire hybrid and Jacob ends up in a reverse male harem.

Alice.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Now I'm imagining Zero from the X-Series rushing in to start shouting Alice melodramatically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IPIPLM8ELY&t=42s

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

chitoryu12 posted:

Alice?

Alice!

Alice Alice?

Alice Alice Alice.

Alice.........

Alice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhG9D9UO7c

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Alice leaped lightly over the edges of the dissipating mist that lapped at my shield and came to a sinuous stop at Edward’s side. I reached out to touch her arm, and so did Edward, Esme, Carlisle. There wasn’t time for any other welcome. Jasper and the others followed her through the shield.

All the guard watched, speculation in their eyes, as the latecomers crossed the invisible border without difficulty. The brawny ones, Felix and the others like him, focused their suddenly hopeful eyes on me. They had not been sure of what my shield repelled, but it was clear now that it would not stop a physical attack. As soon as Aro gave the order, the blitz would ensue, me the only object. I wondered how many Zafrina would be able to blind, and how much that would slow them. Long enough for Kate and Vladimir to take Jane and Alec out of the equation? That was all I could ask for.

Shut up.

Seriously, just shut up. There's no battle happening now. Edward just made a big deal of bringing another hybrid out and told the reader exactly what the purpose is. We loving know there's not going to be a fight. All of this is pointless.

quote:

Edward, despite his absorption in the coup he was directing, stiffened furiously in response to their thoughts. He controlled himself and spoke to Aro again.

This isn't a "coup"! Someone take away Meyer's dictionary until she knows what words mean.

quote:

“Alice has been searching for her own witnesses these last weeks,” he said to the ancient. “And she does not come back empty-handed. Alice, why don’t you introduce the witnesses you’ve brought?”

Caius snarled. “The time for witnesses is past! Cast your vote, Aro!”

Caius can't even stop himself from making it obvious to everyone else.

quote:

Aro raised one finger to silence his brother, his eyes glued to Alice’s face.

Alice stepped forward lightly and introduced the strangers. “This is Huilen and her nephew, Nahuel.”

Huilen was played by Mexican-Lipan Apache-American actress Marisa Quinn. She's a multi-media worker with a relatively brief film and TV career that includes minor roles on Sons of Anarchy and Longmire while also working as a vocalist and photographer. She previously had her own media company and eco-friendly clothing line, both of which appear to be defunct now.

Nahuel, the only important character of the eleventh hour, was played by JD Pardo. He was born in Los Angeles to an Argentine mother and Salvadoran father, making a classic move from small time modeling to acting. Since Breaking Dawn he's had main cast roles as Jason Neville on Revolution and Raul Garcia on The Messengers, before landing the ongoing lead role of EZ Reyes on Mayans MC, the spinoff of Sons of Anarchy.

quote:

Hearing her voice… it was like she’d never left.

From our perspective, she didn't! drat near every chapter repeatedly referenced her and what she was doing or planning behind the scenes. I can't believe any reader would actually think she really ran away despite everyone else telling us over and over that she totally did.

quote:

Caius’s eyes tightened as Alice named the relationship between the newcomers. The Volturi witnesses hissed amongst themselves. The vampire world was changing, and everyone could feel it.

Why are you hissing? It's not even a threat! It's just another hybrid showing up as evidence! This field must sound like a parking lot full of punctured tires.

quote:

“Speak, Huilen,” Aro commanded. “Give us the witness you were brought to bear.”

The slight woman looked to Alice nervously. Alice nodded in encouragement, and Kachiri put her long hand on the little vampire’s shoulder.

Thank you, Kachiri. You have been very helpful. I see why they kept you in the mov--oh wait no they didn't. You're yet another named character who exists as a prop.

Funny enough, she's still done more than Mary and Randall. Who even remembered they were part of the witnesses? They haven't been mentioned once since the argument with Amun in the house!

quote:

“I am Huilen,” the woman announced in clear but strangely accented English. As she continued, it was apparent she had prepared herself to tell this story, that she had practiced. It flowed like a well-known nursery rhyme. “A century and a half ago, I lived with my people, the Mapuche. My sister was Pire. Our parents named her after the snow on the mountains because of her fair skin. And she was very beautiful—too beautiful. She came to me one day in secret and told me of the angel that found her in the woods, that visited her by night. I warned her.” Huilen shook her head mournfully. “As if the bruises on her skin were not warning enough. I knew it was the Libishomen of our legends, but she would not listen. She was bewitched.

Now, hundreds of pages later, we're returning to the garbled Brazilian legends from the honeymoon.

The first problem is with her "people." "Mapuche" is a collective term for various indigenous peoples of what's now Chile and Argentina, not Brazil (but all brown people are alike, right?), and the actual Mapuche prefer to identify by their individual geographic areas (especially if she's 150 years old). There's almost 2 million people under the Mapuche umbrella, so Huilen is being about as specific as if she said "I lived with my people, the Indians."

The second problem is just plain racism: Pire, the most beautiful girl in the tribe, was of course the one with the palest skin. Stephenie Meyer has found a way to whitewash indigenous South Americans.

quote:

“She told me when she was sure her dark angel’s child was growing inside her. I didn’t try to discourage her from her plan to run away—I knew even our father and mother would agree that the child must be destroyed, Pire with it. I went with her into the deepest parts of the forest. She searched for her demon angel but found nothing. I cared for her, hunted for her when her strength failed. She ate the animals raw, drinking their blood. I needed no more confirmation of what she carried in her womb. I hoped to save her life before I killed the monster.

Yes, the deepest parts of the forest. Of Argentina.

quote:

“But she loved the child inside her. She called him Nahuel, after the jungle cat, when he grew strong and broke her bones—and loved him still.

"Nahuel" really is a given name taken from a Mapuche word for "jaguar", which means Meyer actually did her research and still conflated Brazilian and Mapuche people!

quote:

“I could not save her. The child ripped his way free of her, and she died quickly, begging all the while that I would care for her Nahuel. Her dying wish—and I agreed.

“He bit me, though, when I tried to lift him from her body. I crawled away into the jungle to die. I didn’t get far—the pain was too much. But he found me; the newborn child struggled through the underbrush to my side and waited for me. When the pain ended, he was curled against my side, sleeping.

Remember how Renesmee was said to be biting Jacob repeatedly and everyone said it was okay because he would instantly heal from it? You'd think the venom in her bites would prevent that, right?

quote:

“I cared for him until he was able to hunt for himself. We hunted the villages around our forest, staying to ourselves. We have never come so far from our home, but Nahuel wished to see the child here.”

Look back and note that Huilen is a red-eyed vampire, which means she's a people eater. But Nahuel has the golden eyes of someone who only drinks animal blood. The only way this makes sense is if Huilen knows she can survive on animals and is willingly refusing to change and stop killing people.

quote:

Huilen bowed her head when she was finished and moved back so she was partially hidden behind Kachiri.

Aro’s lips were pursed. He stared at the dark-skinned youth. “Nahuel, you are one hundred and fifty years old?” he questioned.

“Give or take a decade,” he answered in a clear, beautifully warm voice. His accent was barely noticeable. “We don’t keep track.”

The Mapuche people have long since integrated as a whole into the Spanish-descended culture of Chile and Argentina. But because he's a weird, dirty native, Meyer writes him as still being an isolated jungle boy....who has almost no accent when he speaks English. Huilen, who's physically older, still has an accent. Why?

quote:

“And you reached maturity at what age?”

“About seven years after my birth, more or less, I was full grown.”

“You have not changed since then?”

Nahuel shrugged. “Not that I’ve noticed.”

I felt a shudder tremble through Jacob’s body. I didn’t want to think about this yet. I would wait till the danger was past and I could concentrate.

“And your diet?” Aro pressed, seeming interested in spite of himself.

“Mostly blood, but some human food, too. I can survive on either.”

“You were able to create an immortal?” As Aro gestured to Huilen, his voice was abruptly intense. I refocused on my shield; perhaps he was seeking a new excuse.

“Yes, but none of the rest can.”

And there is the point where Meyer realizes she hosed up, but can't go back and change what she's already established to fit in better. Nahuel is the single hybrid in existence with venom who can change humans into vampires!

quote:

A shocked murmur ran through all three groups.

Aro’s eyebrows shot up. “The rest?”

“My sisters.” Nahuel shrugged again.

Why do you keep shrugging? You've been told that you're here to testify before the most powerful vampires, the ones who rule you and will kill you if you step out of line, and you're acting like a bored jerk!

quote:

Aro stared wildly for a moment before composing his face.

How do you "stare wildly"?

quote:

“Perhaps you would tell us the rest of your story, for there seems to be more.”

Unfortunately.

quote:

Nahuel frowned. “My father came looking for me a few years after my mother’s death.” His handsome face distorted slightly. “He was pleased to find me.” Nahuel’s tone suggested the feeling was not mutual. “He had two daughters, but no sons. He expected me to join him, as my sisters had.

“He was surprised I was not alone. My sisters are not venomous, but whether that’s due to gender or a random chance… who knows? I already had my family with Huilen, and I was not interested”—he twisted the word—“in making a change. I see him from time to time. I have a new sister; she reached maturity about ten years back.”

“Your father’s name?” Caius asked through gritted teeth.

“Joham,” Nahuel answered. “He considers himself a scientist. He thinks he’s creating a new super-race.” He made no attempt to disguise the disgust in his tone.

Wait, hang on. You can't just drop some loving plot point like "A vampire is creating a super race of hybrids around the world" at the very end of the book!

Not like it would mean much, because it sounds like Joham is an idiot. Vampires are the super race. In most fiction with dhampirs or other half-vampires, they're special because they get the best of both worlds: power close enough to a normal vampire without their weaknesses (like burning in sunlight). Twilight vampires have no weaknesses compared to humans except for looking like body glitter addicts and being overemotional dumbasses, while hybrids have no advantages over them whatsoever except for not sparkling.

quote:

Caius looked at me. “Your daughter, is she venomous?” he demanded harshly.

“No,” I responded. Nahuel’s head snapped up at Aro’s question, and his teak eyes turned to bore into my face.

Snapped up at whose question? Yes, this mix-up really is in the print and Kindle copies of the books.

quote:

Caius looked to Aro for confirmation, but Aro was absorbed in his own thoughts. He pursed his lips and stared at Carlisle, and then Edward, and at last his eyes rested on me.

Caius growled. “We take care of the aberration here, and then follow it south,” he urged Aro.

Did you just openly tell Nahuel that you plan on killing every hybrid?

quote:

Aro stared into my eyes for a long, tense moment. I had no idea what he was searching for, or what he found, but after he had measured me for that moment, something in his face changed, a faint shift in the set of his mouth and eyes, and I knew that Aro had made his decision.

“Brother,” he said softly to Caius. “There appears to be no danger. This is an unusual development, but I see no threat. These half-vampire children are much like us, it appears.”

“Is that your vote?” Caius demanded.

“It is.”

And there you have it, folks.

quote:

Caius scowled. “And this Joham? This immortal so fond of experimentation?”

“Perhaps we should speak with him,” Aro agreed.

“Stop Joham if you will,” Nahuel said flatly. “But leave my sisters be. They are innocent.”

By the standards of a vampire, or....

quote:

Aro nodded, his expression solemn. And then he turned back to his guard with a warm smile.

“Dear ones,” he called. “We do not fight today.”

The guard nodded in unison and straightened out of their ready positions. The mist dissipated swiftly, but I held my shield in place. Maybe this was another trick.

Shut the gently caress up.

quote:

I analyzed their expressions as Aro turned back to us. His face was as benign as ever, but unlike before, I sensed a strange blankness behind the façade. As if his scheming was over. Caius was clearly incensed, but his rage was turned inward now; he was resigned. Marcus looked… bored; there really was no other word for it. The guard was impassive and disciplined again; there were no individuals among them, just the whole. They were in formation, ready to depart. The Volturi witnesses were still wary; one after another, they departed, scattering into the woods. As their numbers dwindled, the remaining sped up. Soon they were all gone.

Aro held his hands out to us, almost apologetic. Behind him, the larger part of the guard, along with Caius, Marcus, and the silent, mysterious wives, were already drifting quickly away, their formation precise once again. Only the three that seemed to be his personal guardians lingered with him.

“I’m so glad this could be resolved without violence,” he said sweetly. “My friend, Carlisle—how pleased I am to call you friend again! I hope there are no hard feelings. I know you understand the strict burden that our duty places on our shoulders.”

“Leave in peace, Aro,” Carlisle said stiffly. “Please remember that we still have our anonymity to protect here, and keep your guard from hunting in this region.”

“Of course, Carlisle,” Aro assured him. “I am sorry to earn your disapproval, my dear friend. Perhaps, in time, you will forgive me.”

“Perhaps, in time, if you prove a friend to us again.”

Aro bowed his head, the picture of remorse, and drifted backward for a moment before he turned around. We watched in silence as the last four Volturi disappeared into the trees.

There you go. That's the climax to this book.

Think about how many chapters you've read of all the preparation. Gathering the witnesses, learning to fight, J. Jenks and the two chapters of Bella agonizing over how Jacob and Renesmee are totally going to be the only survivors of the tragedy that is to come because she only thought to get IDs for two of them. A climax that lasts dozens of pages and implies that a fight is starting at the end of each chapter, only to move on to even more talking, and a speech demanding rebellion against the Volturi. The Volturi outright saying they want to steal all of the best vampires for themselves and making it clear that Renesmee's existence is just an excuse to show up. People divvying up their opponents and forming their strategy.

And then right as it's about to happen, a Deus Ex Machina flies in. One that Alice has secretly been working toward getting to them this whole time, which instantly renders all of the previous negotiation moot. Renesmee, the most special character of them all, turns out to be a normal phenomenon that most vampires just haven't heard of somehow. The characters who were supposed to be the main antagonists of the series, with all the books building up to a climactic battle, just decide they were wrong after they can't lie and leave.

Stephenie Meyer just copped out of the entire climax of the Twilight series.

Breaking Dawn sent the fandom into an uproar. Its poor quality and random plot was bad enough, but this was what clinched it. They felt cheated. Meyer attempted to defend her choices as ones that would be ultimately accepted should the fandom give them time, but instead the fandom has turned on her even more in the decade since.

The movie, though? They ain't about that poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qpWh3d_qd0

Alice walks up to Aro and allows him to read her mind, so he can see everything she said for himself. But she realizes that no matter what she shows him, he'll never change his mind. He truly was the evil mastermind Bella insisted he was. Jacob runs, Alice is grabbed, and Carlisle attacks.....and is swiftly decapitated.

The two sides clash in the biggest battle ever seen in the series. Benjamin breaks a gigantic fissure in the Earth all the way to the mantle, sending Volturi screaming to their deaths in magma. Jasper and several of the wolves are killed, while Emmett manages to tear a man's body off his head and Caius is given a death that would leave this movie R-rated if he wasn't made of rock. The Volturi are finally destroyed, and the last thing Aro's decapitated head sees is the fire consuming it....

....and it was all a vision of the future that awaited the Volturi if they attacked. Alice had told Aro that if it came to a battle, they would lose. They leave.

This was possibly the greatest troll ever made by any movie on its audience. With no hint as to what was really happening, it looked like the scriptwriters had radically changed the ending to one that kills most of the cast and some of the most beloved characters. All just to reveal it was basically a prank at the end. The book made the fandom mad, but the movie had people screaming in theaters.

quote:

It was very quiet. I did not drop my shield.

“Is it really over?” I whispered to Edward.

His smile was huge. “Yes. They’ve given up. Like all bullies, they’re cowards underneath the swagger.” He chuckled.

You guys are massive loving cowards. Shut up.

quote:

Alice laughed with him. “Seriously, people. They’re not coming back. Everybody can relax now.”

Hey, let's cover something real quick.

How does Alice know this?

Did anyone notice how much the climax involved werewolves and hybrids, both things Alice explicitly can't see? Anyone remember how in New Moon the presence of even one Quileute shapeshifter in Bella's future instantly rendered Alice blind to her actions?

And now think about how much preparation Alice did here. The J. Jenks note. Finding witnesses. Finding another hybrid in South America. All based on the time she spent running through possible futures after learning the Volturi were coming. Because she could see everything perfectly.

The entire climax is a plot hole.

quote:

There was another beat of silence.

“Of all the rotten luck,” Stefan muttered.

The moment you've been waiting for 1500 years. And that's the best you can come up with when it fizzles?

quote:

And then it hit.

Cheers erupted. Deafening howls filled the clearing. Maggie pounded Siobhan on the back. Rosalie and Emmett kissed again—longer and more ardently than before. Benjamin and Tia were locked in each other’s arms, as were Carmen and Eleazar. Esme held Alice and Jasper in a tight embrace. Carlisle was warmly thanking the South American newcomers who had saved us all. Kachiri stood very close to Zafrina and Senna, their fingertips interlocked. Garrett picked Kate up off the ground and swung her around in a circle.

Stefan spit on the snow. Vladimir ground his teeth together with a sour expression.

I'm so sorry the bigger villains couldn't get to rule the world again!

quote:

And I half-climbed the giant russet wolf to rip my daughter off his back and then crushed her to my chest. Edward’s arms were around us in the same second.

“Nessie, Nessie, Nessie,” I crooned.

Jacob laughed his big, barky laugh and poked the back of my head with his nose.

“Shut up,” I mumbled.

And just like that, the name that Bella was psychotically against, to the point of making wild eyes and snapping at people for using it in front of her, is now her name.

quote:

“I get to stay with you?” Nessie demanded.

If you want to avoid having your precious child character looking like a brat, maybe make better word choices.

quote:

“Forever,” I promised her.

We had forever. And Nessie was going to be fine and healthy and strong. Like the half-human Nahuel, in a hundred and fifty years she would still be young. And we would all be together.

All that time we spent wondering if Renesmee would rapidly age and die young?

Completely worthless.

quote:

Happiness expanded like an explosion inside me—so extreme, so violent that I wasn’t sure I’d survive it.

“Forever,” Edward echoed in my ear.

I couldn’t speak anymore. I lifted my head and kissed him with a passion that might possibly set the forest on fire.

I wouldn’t have noticed.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

So there's an inhuman monster fatally impregnating women across the Western Hemisphere to breed an army and the only people who see stopping him as a moral imperative are the villains?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:lol::lol:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
What the hell did I just read?!

That's the worst ending to the worst story, ever.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I never saw the movie. That fakeout battle was a godly troll, especially with the book's ending right next to it for comparison. It really shows the utter disdain that the actors and crew had for these books. :discourse:

The book's climax is godawful, of course, but it is comical that, after all that posturing and then Aro resorting to fully unmasking, Alice shows up out of nowhere and completely owns him. The Volturi fully unmasked their evil in front of a mass of witnesses, including their own picks, and they got absolutely loving nothing for it. Everyone else will go home, spread the news, and the Volturi are going to lose their legitimacy.

The Volturi are only special because of two things: Chelsea's power enables many vampires to cooperate in their guard instead of the usual instinctual infighting that would occur. Aro has also collected a group of powerful witches that completely disable enemies, while Renata ensures Aro is safe from ambush. At some point the Cullens actually had the winning strategy: take out the twins and then disable Renata or use an ability that goes through her shield.

A competent writer would have done a better job of seeding the idea that the Volturi - effecticely Aro and Caius - act out of self interest. They just have good PR. Any group with sufficient numbers or the right witch setup could eliminate rogue vampires.

If Bella controls her shield properly and Zafrina can blind the guard, then Kate could take out the entire guard while dancing and painting her nails. Her taser ability would prevent any retaliation while she decapitates everyone . Benjamin would be even easier if he just set everyone on fire.

Stephanie Meyer, however, just chickened out and dragged Deus Ex Alice in to curb stomp the social boss fight. I can't believe that film clip inspired me to write this much about this awful book. :psyduck:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 39: The Happily Ever After

Fun fact: this book includes a table of contents with named chapters, so reading the very first pages will actually spoil the ending! Not like anyone expected something more than pure wish fulfillment, but at least don't be blatant about it.

quote:

“So it was a combination of things at the end, but what it really boiled down to was… Bella,” Edward was explaining. Our family and our two remaining guests sat in the Cullens’ great room while the forest turned black outside the tall windows.

No it loving didn't!

Go back and see what Bella did, ever since finding out that the Volturi were coming. The only vaguely proactive things she really did were the J. Jenks bullshit (which didn't even matter in the end) and learning the basics of how to use her shield on other people. She spent most of her time otherwise just sitting around weeping and holding her daughter; even when told she and Edward had "the hardest job of all" convincing the other vampires to ally with them, we clearly saw that Edward did all the talking while she just stood there. During the entire climax, she barely spoke and did little except block three people's powers to buy them time for Alice to show up. Except for that one thing (which I can't even guarantee would have changed the results of anything that much), Bella could have disappeared from the plot entirely and everything would have transpired the same.

It's a bizarre decision on Meyer's part considering the kind of story she's writing. Mary Sue stories are obviously notorious for their protagonist (especially if it's a self-insert of some kind) being the linchpin of everything, using their special powers or training to defeat the bad guys against overwhelming odds and be heaped with praise. By serving as a wish fulfillment fantasy, the audience can put themselves in that position as well. And she just denied it to the readers while still insisting that it totally happened, you guys just need to understand.

quote:

Vladimir and Stefan had vanished before we’d stopped celebrating. They were extremely disappointed in the way things had turned out, but Edward said that they’d enjoyed the Volturi’s cowardice almost enough to make up for their frustration.

Not to worry though, as Aro touched Edward so he'll inevitably know why the Romanians were there and what their plans were! And the book was explicit that Demetri had gotten everyone's scent and can track everyone who was there, which is why Bella had to kill him! So, uh, good luck hiding guys!

quote:

Benjamin and Tia were quick to follow after Amun and Kebi, anxious to let them know the outcome of the conflict; I was sure we would see them again—Benjamin and Tia, at least. None of the nomads lingered. Peter and Charlotte had a short conversation with Jasper, and then they were gone, too.

Mary and Randall were so unimportant they don't even get named as they leave!

quote:

The reunited Amazons had been anxious to return home as well—they had a difficult time being away from their beloved rain forest—though they were more reluctant to leave than some of the others.

“You must bring the child to see me,” Zafrina had insisted. “Promise me, young one.”

Nessie had pressed her hand to my neck, pleading as well.

JUST

TALK

quote:

“Of course, Zafrina,” I’d agreed.

“We shall be great friends, my Nessie,” the wild woman had declared before leaving with her sisters.

"Wild woman"? Come the gently caress on. It's the end of the book, just quit it.

quote:

The Irish coven continued the exodus.

“Well done, Siobhan,” Carlisle complimented her as they said goodbye.

“Ah, the power of wishful thinking,” she answered sarcastically, rolling her eyes. And then she was serious. “Of course, this isn’t over. The Volturi won’t forgive what happened here.”

Edward was the one to answer that. “They’ve been seriously shaken; their confidence is shattered. But, yes, I’m sure they’ll recover from the blow someday. And then…” His eyes tightened. “I imagine they’ll try to pick us off separately.”

Why? The Cullens broke no laws, and they admitted as much to everyone. They had new knowledge of hybrids revealed to them. The only motivation that would make sense is that the only source of order in the vampire world is so super evil that they'll kill vampires for no reason except feeling bad.

quote:

“Alice will warn us when they intend to strike,” Siobhan said in a sure voice. “And we’ll gather again. Perhaps the time will come when our world is ready to be free of the Volturi altogether.”

Why the gently caress do you want the Volturi gone so bad? Even Edward admitted that they're the only thing keeping immortal children, vampire wars, the Romanians, etc. from overrunning the Earth. The only thing you'll be "free" from are the rules that keep the planet safe. What's going to happen when the only force keeping a vampire from killing a dozen humans a week is gone? When they can create as many new vampires as they want, whenever and wherever they want, no matter their age?

The Volturi being eliminated isn't an evil empire being defeated. It's an apocalyptic scenario.

quote:

“That time may come,” Carlisle replied. “If it does, we’ll stand together.”

Well, except all the people who showed up begrudgingly and left as soon as they had an opportunity.

quote:

“Yes, my friend, we will,” Siobhan agreed. “And how can we fail, when I will it otherwise?” She let out a great peal of laughter.

Exactly,” Carlisle said. He and Siobhan embraced, and then he shook Liam’s hand. “Try to find Alistair and tell him what happened. I’d hate to think of him hiding under a rock for the next decade.”

Oh yeah, Alistair was a person who existed.

quote:

Siobhan laughed again. Maggie hugged both Nessie and me, and then the Irish coven was gone.

The Denalis were the last to leave, Garrett with them—as he would be from now on, I was fairly sure. The atmosphere of celebration was too much for Tanya and Kate. They needed time to grieve for their lost sister.

Were you guys seriously throwing a loving party around them and not caring?

quote:

Huilen and Nahuel were the ones who stayed, though I had expected those last two to go back with the Amazons. Carlisle was deep in fascinated conversation with Huilen; Nahuel sat close beside her, listening while Edward told the rest of us the story of the conflict as only he knew it.

“Alice gave Aro the excuse he needed to get out of the fight. If he hadn’t been so terrified of Bella, he probably would have gone ahead with their original plan.”

He was clearly about to start the battle before Alice showed up!

quote:

“Terrified?” I said skeptically. “Of me?”

Oh shut up. You were bragging during the fight, grinning about how Jane was screaming and stomping her feet at you blocking her. Now you're doing the "Oh, little ol' me? Who could ever think I was important?" routine.

quote:

He smiled at me with a look I didn’t entirely recognize—it was tender, but also awed and even exasperated. “When will you ever see yourself clearly?” he said softly. Then he spoke louder, to the others as well as to me. “The Volturi haven’t fought a fair fight in about twenty-five hundred years. And they’ve never, never fought one where they were at a disadvantage. Especially since they gained Jane and Alec, they’ve only been involved with unopposed slaughterings.

“You should have seen how we looked to them! Usually, Alec cuts off all sense and feeling from their victims while they go through the charade of a counsel. That way, no one can run when the verdict is given. But there we stood, ready, waiting, outnumbering them, with gifts of our own while their gifts were rendered useless by Bella. Aro knew that with Zafrina on our side, they would be the blind ones when the battle commenced. I’m sure our numbers would have been pretty severely decimated, but they were sure that theirs would be, too. There was even a good possibility that they would lose. They’ve never dealt with that possibility before. They didn’t deal with it well today.”

So we start off this bullshit with Edward (speaking for Meyer) trying to insist that Bella is still meek and mild. After a whole third of a book where she was marveling at how awesome and beautiful she had become, showing off her powers, dressing in designer clothes and driving a Ferrari everywhere, and having everyone tell her over and over that she's the greatest vampire in history, we're supposed to still think that she's the insecure little 17-year-old girl everyone first met and still needs to be reminded that she's strong.

Either the Volturi were powerless or everyone would die, and which one Meyer believes changes from sentence to sentence. Edward just outlined all the different ways that the Volturi were totally screwed, and then shrugged and went "I'm sure we would have almost all died anyway." If he's right, it makes all the statements of unity meaningless because the Volturi will inevitably be able to kill them all if they really do show up to pick them off one by one. If he's wrong, all the hand-wringing about how everyone would die was pointless.

And in the end, Alice was the hero of the story. She overcame her future vision's limitations through the power of bad writing and plot holes to craft a foolproof plan, implemented it flawlessly, and showed up in the nick of time to save the day.

quote:

“Hard to feel confident when you’re surrounded by horse-sized wolves,” Emmett laughed, poking Jacob’s arm.

Jacob flashed a grin at him.

“It was the wolves that stopped them in the first place,” I said.

“Sure was,” Jacob agreed.

“Absolutely,” Edward agreed. “That was another sight they’ve never seen. The true Children of the Moon rarely move in packs, and they are never much in control of themselves. Sixteen enormous regimented wolves was a surprise they weren’t prepared for. Caius is actually terrified of werewolves. He almost lost a fight with one a few thousand years ago and never got over it.”

Are you telling me Caius was acting like such an idiot because he had anxiety?

quote:

“So there are real werewolves?” I asked. “With the full moon and silver bullets and all that?”

Jacob snorted. “Real. Does that make me imaginary?”

“You know what I mean.”

“Full moon, yes,” Edward said. “Silver bullets, no—that was just another one of those myths to make humans feel like they had a sporting chance. There aren’t very many of them left. Caius has had them hunted into near extinction.”

Why the hell does that myth need to exist?

quote:

“And you never mentioned this because…?”

“It never came up.”

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO gently caress YOURSELF

This came up a ton of times! Every time the Quileute got called "werewolves", Edward knew all along they weren't! In Eclipse when Edward casually mentions there's more than one type of werewolf, it just gets dropped and never picked back up!

quote:

I rolled my eyes, and Alice laughed, leaning forward—she was tucked under Edward’s other arm—to wink at me.

I glared back.

I loved her insanely, of course. But now that I’d had a chance to realize that she was really home, that her defection was only a ruse because Edward had to believe that she’d abandoned us, I was beginning to feel pretty irritated with her. Alice had some explaining to do.

Alice sighed. “Just get it off your chest, Bella.”

“How could you do that to me, Alice?”

“It was necessary.”

“Necessary!” I exploded. “You had me totally convinced that we were all going to die! I’ve been a wreck for weeks.”

You convinced yourself that you were all going to die.

quote:

“It might have gone that way,” she said calmly. “In which case you needed to be prepared to save Nessie.”

"A possibility I could have foreseen, now being capable of seeing hybrids."

quote:

Instinctively, I held Nessie—asleep now on my lap—tighter in my arms.

Crushing her spine and killing her instantly.

quote:

“But you knew there were other ways, too,” I accused. “You knew there was hope. Did it ever occur to you that you could have told me everything? I know Edward had to think we were at a dead end for Aro’s sake, but you could have told me.”

She looked at me speculatively for a moment. “I don’t think so,” she said. “You’re just not that good an actress.”

How are we in the last chapter of the goddamn series and you are still pulling the "Bella's a bad liar!" poo poo?

quote:

“This was about my acting skills?”

“Oh, take it down an octave, Bella. Do you have any idea how complicated this was to set up? I couldn’t even be sure that someone like Nahuel existed—all I knew was that I would be looking for something I couldn’t see! Try to imagine searching for a blind spot—not the easiest thing I’ve ever done. Plus we had to send back the key witnesses, like we weren’t in enough of a hurry. And then keeping my eyes open all the time in case you decided to throw me any more instructions. At some point you’re going to have to tell me what exactly is in Rio. Before any of that, I had to try to see every trick the Volturi might come in with and give you what few clues I could so you would be ready for their strategy, and I only had just a few hours to trace out all the possibilities. Most of all, I had to make sure you’d all believe that I was ditching out on you, because Aro had to be positive that you had nothing left up your sleeves or he never would have committed to an out the way he did. And if you think I didn’t feel like a schmuck—”

There's Meyer suddenly realizing that Alice's entire plan was a plot hole because she isn't supposed to be able to see Nahuel or any of the wolves. But how does that make any kind of sense? In New Moon Alice said that when Jacob entered Bella's future, her vision of her simply vanished like she no longer had powers at all. To Alice, Nahuel wouldn't be like "looking for a blind spot", because she wasn't even sure he existed. He would just look like she was looking for something that didn't exist.

quote:

“Okay, okay!” I interrupted. “Sorry! I know it was rough for you, too. It’s just that… well, I missed you like crazy, Alice. Don’t do that to me again.”

Alice’s trilling laugh rang through the room, and we all smiled to hear that music once more. “I missed you, too, Bella. So forgive me, and try to be satisfied with being the superhero of the day.”

Again, Alice did everything. Bella did nothing.

quote:

Everyone else laughed now, and I ducked my face into Nessie’s hair, embarrassed.

Edward went back to analyzing every shift of intention and control that had happened in the meadow today, declaring that it was my shield that had made the Volturi run away with their tails between their legs. The way everyone looked at me made me uncomfortable. Even Edward. It was like I had grown a hundred feet during the course of the morning. I tried to ignore the impressed looks, mostly keeping my eyes on Nessie’s sleeping face and Jacob’s unchanged expression. I would always be just Bella to him, and that was a relief.

Remember the end of Book II, when Bella had just died and Jacob was all "She's just a corpse in the attic, all I care about is murdering the thing that killed her" and then after the imprinting he's suddenly back to the goofy Jacob with no anger management problems from the first half of New Moon? All of his drama and new characterization was wiped clean on the spot?

When Meyer wrote Forever Dawn, there was none of the drama of New Moon and Eclipse. Jacob remained the happy-go-lucky native kid with a crush for the entire book, with no love triangle ever in existence. The wolves were mostly undeveloped, without even names for most of them. Jacob still imprinted on Renesmee, though! And because there was no Jacob development at this point, Book II (the pregnancy) was all from Bella's POV. That was the only part of the draft that I believe was substantially rewritten to make Breaking Dawn.

Jacob is back to his old self because it's convenient. Meyer had no time or patience for changing her old story to show how Jacob logically should have been after imprinting on Renesmee, so she hastily wrote in "Oh yeah, we resolved all of the problems with the tribe while you were turning into a vampire and it's all cool now" as a patch job to excuse why all of the wolves had suddenly exited the story except as background extras and Jacob was acting like the last two books never happened.

quote:

The hardest stare to ignore was also the most confusing one.

It wasn’t like this half-human, half-vampire Nahuel was used to thinking of me in a certain way. For all he knew, I went around routing attacking vampires every day and the scene in the meadow had been nothing unusual at all. But the boy never took his eyes off me. Or maybe he was looking at Nessie. That made me uncomfortable, too.

He couldn’t be oblivious to the fact that Nessie was the only female of his kind that wasn’t his half-sister.

Renesmee is four months old.

quote:

I didn’t think this idea had occurred to Jacob yet. I kind of hoped it wouldn’t soon. I’d had enough fighting to last me for a while.

You know what? Let's quit that line of thinking while we're ahead and never revisit it ever.

quote:

Eventually, the others ran out of questions for Edward, and the discussion dissolved into a bunch of smaller conversations.

I felt oddly tired. Not sleepy, of course, but just like the day had been long enough. I wanted some peace, some normality. I wanted Nessie in her own bed; I wanted the walls of my own little home around me.

The perfect little cottage that she loves so much, which we have seen exactly 3 times and never seen her express any kind of interest in after first describing all the awful decor.

quote:

I looked at Edward and felt for a moment like I could read his mind. I could see he felt exactly the same way. Ready for some peace.

“Should we take Nessie…”

“That’s probably a good idea,” he agreed quickly. “I’m sure she didn’t sleep soundly last night, what with all the snoring.”

He grinned at Jacob.

They really are having the quietest vampire sex ever.

quote:

Jacob rolled his eyes and then yawned. “It’s been a while since I slept in a bed. I bet my dad would get a kick out of having me under his roof again.”

If you think back to the timeline, Jacob hasn't slept in a bed for four months.

quote:

I touched his cheek. “Thank you, Jacob.”

“Anytime, Bella. But you already know that.”

He got up, stretched, kissed the top of Nessie’s head, and then the top of mine. Finally, he punched Edward’s shoulder. “See you guys tomorrow. I guess things are going to be kind of boring now, aren’t they?”

Always have been!

quote:

“I fervently hope so,” Edward said.

We got up when he was gone; I shifted my weight carefully so that Nessie was never jostled. I was deeply grateful to see her getting a sound sleep. So much weight had been on her tiny shoulders. It was time she got to be a child again—protected and secure. A few more years of childhood.

This girl can sleep through a loving war and has no personality to harm. She's fine.

quote:

The idea of peace and security reminded me of someone who didn’t have those feelings all the time.

“Oh, Jasper?” I asked as we turned for the door.

Yes, remember Jasper? One of the Cullens who got totally replaced by the new cast?

quote:

Jasper was sandwiched tight in between Alice and Esme, somehow seeming more central to the family picture than usual. “Yes, Bella?”

“I’m curious—why is J. Jenks scared stiff by just the sound of your name?”

Jasper chuckled. “It’s just been my experience that some kinds of working relationships are better motivated by fear than by monetary gain.”

I frowned, promising myself that I would take over that working relationship from now on and spare J the heart attack that was surely on the way.

So there's actually an epilogue in Forever Dawn that was cut out of the final version. Bella returns to Seattle to save Max when he gets in a spot of trouble, showing off her powers almost as a superhero. This was eliminated, leaving Max a pointless racist remnant.

quote:

We were kissed and hugged and wished a good night to our family. The only off note was Nahuel again, who looked intently after us, as if he wished he could follow.

quote:

Once we were across the river, we walked barely faster than human speed, in no hurry, holding hands. I was sick of being under a deadline, and I just wanted to take my time. Edward must have felt the same.

“I have to say, I’m thoroughly impressed with Jacob right now,” Edward told me.

“The wolves make quite an impact, don’t they?”

“That’s not what I mean. Not once today did he think about the fact that, according to Nahuel, Nessie will be fully matured in just six and a half years.”

I considered that for a minute. “He doesn’t see her that way. He’s not in a hurry for her to grow up. He just wants her to be happy.”

If you're impressed that Jacob wasn't eagerly salivating at the possibility that he can gently caress his child bride sooner rather than later, what does that say about Jacob....or about yourself?

quote:

“I know. Like I said, impressive. It goes against the grain to say so, but she could do worse.”

What do you mean it goes against the loving grain? She's a child!

quote:

I frowned. “I’m not going to think about that for approximately six and a half more years.”

How about never?

quote:

Edward laughed and then sighed. “Of course, it looks like he’ll have some competition to worry about when the time comes.”

It's starting to get hard to not think of the author as severely disturbed at this point.

quote:

My frown deepened. “I noticed. I’m grateful to Nahuel for today, but all the staring was a little weird. I don’t care if she is the only half-vampire he’s not related to.”

“Oh, he wasn’t staring at her—he was staring at you.”

That’s what it had seemed like… but that didn’t make any sense. “Why would he do that?”

“Because you’re alive,” he said quietly.

“You lost me.”

“All his life,” he explained, “—and he’s fifty years older than I am—”

“Decrepit,” I interjected.

"Yes, this was a creepy age gap when we thought about it!"

quote:

He ignored me. “He’s always thought of himself as an evil creation, a murderer by nature. His sisters all killed their mothers as well, but they thought nothing of it. Joham raised them to think of the humans as animals, while they were gods. But Nahuel was taught by Huilen, and Huilen loved her sister more than anyone else. It shaped his whole perspective. And, in some ways, he truly hated himself.”

“That’s so sad,” I murmured.

“And then he saw the three of us—and realized for the first time that just because he is half immortal, it doesn’t mean he is inherently evil. He looks at me and sees… what his father should have been.”

Completely in the background and unimportant in the long run to his kid's life?

quote:

“You are fairly ideal in every way,” I agreed.

Shut up.

quote:

He snorted and then was serious again. “He looks at you and sees the life his mother should have had.”

“Poor Nahuel,” I murmured, and then sighed because I knew I would never be able to think badly of him after this, no matter how uncomfortable his stare made me. “Don’t be sad for him. He’s happy now. Today, he’s finally begun to forgive himself.”

He's spent 150 years in guilt, thinking of himself as a monster, because his birth was fatal to his mother. And somehow all it took for him to forgive himself was seeing a mom who got turned into a vampire instead of dying?

quote:

I smiled for Nahuel’s happiness and then thought that today belonged to happiness. Though Irina’s sacrifice was a dark shadow against the white light, keeping the moment from perfection, the joy was impossible to deny. The life I’d fought for was safe again. My family was reunited. My daughter had a beautiful future stretching out endlessly in front of her. Tomorrow I would go see my father; he would see that the fear in my eyes had been replaced with joy, and he would be happy, too. Suddenly, I was sure that I wouldn’t find him there alone. I hadn’t been as observant as I might have been in the last few weeks, but in this moment it was like I’d known all along. Sue would be with Charlie—the werewolves’ mom with the vampire’s dad—and he wouldn’t be alone anymore. I smiled widely at this new insight.

But most significant in this tidal wave of happiness was the surest fact of all: I was with Edward. Forever.

What is the most effective way to stomp on your characters? To make it undeniably clear that you don't care about them?

Check out that second sentence. An innocent was just murdered right in front of you as part of a plot to excuse killing you, all because she made a dumb mistake and thought she was doing the right thing. Her two sisters, who you barely stopped from suicide charging the Volturi, left in sadness because your constant celebration was too much to bear. With how vampire emotions work, they could be grieving forever.

And what does that warrant? A brief mention that her death is making your happiness slightly less than perfect. Within half a second she's forgotten. Because as long as you're happy, that's all that matters, right?

This is sociopathic in its callousness.

quote:

Not that I’d want to repeat the last several weeks, but I had to admit they’d made me appreciate what I had more than ever.

Indeed. You had to sacrifice nothing, some people had to sacrifice everything. But now you get to move on!

quote:

The cottage was a place of perfect peace in the silver-blue night. We carried Nessie to her bed and gently tucked her in. She smiled as she slept.

You know what hasn't been mentioned or returned to?

The meadow where Bella first saw Edward sparkle. The one they always returned to, used constantly as a metaphor for their relationship. You'd expect Meyer to bring things full circle and have them return there, but no. We get the cottage with the world's worst interior decorator, which has existed for a tiny fraction of the story.

quote:

I took Aro’s gift from around my neck and tossed it lightly into the corner of her room. She could play with it if she wished; she liked sparkly things.

That is a priceless artifact, possibly a king's jewels from centuries ago, that you just threw to a child to destroy.

quote:

Edward and I walked slowly to our room, swinging our arms between us.

“A night for celebrations,” he murmured, and he put his hand under my chin to lift my lips to his.

“Wait,” I hesitated, pulling away.

He looked at me in confusion. As a general rule, I didn’t pull away.

Okay, it was more than a general rule. This was a first.

“I want to try something,” I informed him, smiling slightly at his bewildered expression.

I put my hands on both sides of his face and closed my eyes in concentration.

I hadn’t done very well with this when Zafrina had tried to teach me before, but I knew my shield better now. I understood the part that fought against separation from me, the automatic instinct to preserve self above all else.

The instinct that's only suppressed when you're sufficiently angry or depressed and started being lost when you were happy?

quote:

It still wasn’t anywhere near as easy as shielding other people along with myself. I felt the elastic recoil again as my shield fought to protect me. I had to strain to push it entirely away from me; it took all of my focus.

“Bella!” Edward whispered in shock.

I knew it was working then, so I concentrated even harder, dredging up the specific memories I’d saved for this moment, letting them flood my mind, and hopefully his as well.

Some of the memories were not clear—dim human memories, seen through weak eyes and heard through weak ears: the first time I’d seen his face… the way it felt when he’d held me in the meadow… the sound of his voice through the darkness of my faltering consciousness when he’d saved me from James… his face as he waited under a canopy of flowers to marry me… every precious moment from the island… his cold hands touching our baby through my skin…

And the sharp memories, perfectly recalled: his face when I’d opened my eyes to my new life, to the endless dawn of immortality… that first kiss… that first night…

You want to know how this is Forever Dawn? Look at the memories. There's nothing at all from New Moon or Eclipse. Nothing about Volterra, the fight with Victoria, nothing. It jumps straight from James to the wedding.

And our title drop isn't even a proper one. Because it's the title for the old draft.

quote:

His lips, suddenly fierce against mine, broke my concentration.

With a gasp, I lost my grip on the struggling weight I was holding away from myself. It snapped back like stressed elastic, protecting my thoughts once again.

“Oops, lost it!” I sighed.

“I heard you,” he breathed. “How? How did you do that?”

“Zafrina’s idea. We practiced with it a few times.”

He was dazed. He blinked twice and shook his head.

“Now you know,” I said lightly, and shrugged. “No one’s ever loved anyone as much as I love you.”

It...it took you that to figure it out?

quote:

“You’re almost right.” He smiled, his eyes still a little wider than usual. “I know of just one exception.”

“Liar.”

He started to kiss me again, but then stopped abruptly.

“Can you do it again?” he wondered.

I grimaced. “It’s very difficult.”

He waited, his expression eager.

“I can’t keep it up if I’m even the slightest bit distracted,” I warned him.

“I’ll be good,” he promised.

He won't be.

quote:

I pursed my lips, my eyes narrowing. Then I smiled.

I pressed my hands to his face again, hefted the shield right out of my mind, and then started in where I’d left off—with the crystal-clear memory of the first night of my new life… lingering on the details.

I laughed breathlessly when his urgent kiss interrupted my efforts again.

“drat it,” he growled, kissing hungrily down the edge of my jaw.

“We have plenty of time to work on it,” I reminded him.

“Forever and forever and forever,” he murmured.

“That sounds exactly right to me.”

And then we continued blissfully into this small but perfect piece of our forever.

This is the end of not just Breaking Dawn, but the chronological ending of the Twilight series itself. One of the worst books that I have ever read; a schizophrenic mess that never should have seen the light of day. Something that manages, through incomprehensible and random plotting, to annihilate every shred of decency the story could have had. It firmly establishes Bella Swan as not merely the worst Mary Sue, but the most useless.

But as you all know, this isn't the end of Twilight. Midnight Sun has been released to mixed reviews, with old fans wildly vacillating between rekindling their childhood love for the cheesy vampire romance and being flabbergasted by the new content.

Tomorrow, you all start seeing for yourself just what wild poo poo Edward Cullen was getting up to during Twilight. And you won't believe your eyes.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Thank for doing this. I'm almost in an awe of Meyer's ability to just throw out plot points at random, never to elaborate. Christ, there are infectious werewolves being hunted by vampires and a vampire rear end in a top hat breeding an army of hybrids out there in the world, but it doesn't impact the Cullens so it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Chapter 39: The Happily Ever After

Either the Volturi were powerless or everyone would die, and which one Meyer believes changes from sentence to sentence. Edward just outlined all the different ways that the Volturi were totally screwed, and then shrugged and went "I'm sure we would have almost all died anyway." If he's right, it makes all the statements of unity meaningless because the Volturi will inevitably be able to kill them all if they really do show up to pick them off one by one. If he's wrong, all the hand-wringing about how everyone would die was pointless.
Fascism requires its enemies to be simultaneously all-powerful and easily defeated, so go back and add that subtext alongside the colonialism we've seen this whole time.