Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Because I'm a dumb stupid idiot and cannot learn basic lessons such as making manual saves for known buggy sections.

It's my nine hour run to throw in the garbage because of something out of my control I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Just learn to adopt the mindset of a zen monk making an elaborate sand painting and then wiping it away. It's the process itself which is its own reward, not the destination.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
As angry as I am I actually just want to start over and try again already.

I wasnt really speedrunning or anything but surely I can get to the same place in much less time.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Yeah, if you're gonna play Hardcore you need to enjoy the gameplay for the gameplay's sake more than for the victory.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I've played Subnautica like 5-6 times or so and I noticed I got caught up in doing everything so quickly that I was already in the river and I had never even found and scanned the beacon yet.
I knew where everything was so I started skipping over all the little bits.

I do just jump in and go swimming when I need some relaxing gameplay these days though.
Maybe I should get a diving simulator.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Question: Where is your favorite place to setup a base?

Wrong answers only.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

build all bases inside the Aurora for minimal environmental impact

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'

Just Offscreen posted:

Wrong answers only.

At the edge of the map and build it out into the dead zone

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Creating ladder tubes to run from a base near the surface down into glowy mushroom caves and travelling hundreds of meters down in seconds

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Just Offscreen posted:

Wrong answers only.

At the very top of the mountains on the islands - just this enormous spaghetti monstrosity looming over the land like a betentacled hat.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I actually wish it was possible to make a wireless power relay from the mountains to deeper bases WITHOUT the 'unloading chunks problem'

Subnautica apparently has higher solar energy generation if you increase your altitude your solars produce more.

There's just nothing to do with it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Made a kickass base in the shroom forest once. The lag quickly made it unpleasant to use, despite the awesome view.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I've been building a lot of Dunes bases my last few playthroughs.

You get a solid night's sleep with how dark it gets down there, then you can roll out of bed, hop into your prawn suit, and fistfight a reaper, all before breakfast.

The mountains are just such a boring territory, I haven't built many there by comparison.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
There is a cool cave in the mountain biome I had a base over there, even has a garage that you can park the sub in. 5 reapers patrol around it which is cool as well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

Wrong answers only.

I set up complete bases with stockpiles of everything I could need a few places on the map above the water, but also a "lighthouse" poking above water connected to like a dozen mega-elevators from surface down to scary deep zones. Building those things is fun in and of self in scary areas with something dangerous lurking around, darting in and out of safety inside. I kind of hope the second has some creatures not afraid to come inside or damage stuff.

Also built one in the no-no zone to see the spooky guys chilling. Very cool and freaky.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

double nine posted:

Made a kickass base in the shroom forest once. The lag quickly made it unpleasant to use, despite the awesome view.

As a general note, make sure you set the thread priority for Subnautica to only use four cores if you have a CPU with more. I played almost the entire game before I found that tip online and had terrible performance the whole time, setting the thread priority basically doubled my FPS instantly.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

As a general note, make sure you set the thread priority for Subnautica to only use four cores if you have a CPU with more. I played almost the entire game before I found that tip online and had terrible performance the whole time, setting the thread priority basically doubled my FPS instantly.

Why is this even a thing?
I was having troubles for the longest time where my computer would just shut down when exporting to video from any video editing software.
Until I found the answer.
Set software to use 1/2 cores.
You think games and software would want to use more.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

double nine posted:

Teach those screaming fucks who rules Bartertown now.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Just Offscreen posted:

Wrong answers only.

In one of my old runs I build a base on the underside of the floating island with a tube down to the sea floor and one that led through the hole in the center.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
4 bases, all at seeming random useless spots on the map, but are ontop of the endgame portals used when making the cure. Faster map traversal!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

I miss the terraform gun.

Also, I haven't tested this in a while, but can you still build items near or partially in the terrain to create tunnels? I think they took that out with the terraform gun.

Fun fact- in a previous version of the game, the Aurora was buggy enough that you could hop off the ship geometry to access the control room on the far side of the prawn hanger bay. There are actually a few rooms back there and had batteries and crates present. When I go to the Aurora now I wonder if the items are still up there.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

tokenbrownguy posted:

Holy smokes.

I envy people playing for the first time. This game is the closest I've felt to that sense of alien wonder Super Metroid invoked.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Deep Diving Simulator
https://store.steampowered.com/app/990030/Deep_Diving_Simulator/
https://isthereanydeal.com/game/deepdivingsimulator/info/

While this in no way comes close to Subnautica and is probably closer to a 3D point and click simulator than a real game, its kind of enjoyable.
It occasionally goes on sale for as cheap as $4-$6, it is not worth the full price imho.

But I just use Subnautica to go swimming occasionally, and for a few $$ it kind of expands that fulfillment.
Basically all you do is swim around picking things up and watching out for stingy, spiky and bitey things.

Does anyone know of any other good diving type games?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

OgNar posted:

Does anyone know of any other good diving type games?

Only game I've seen that comes sort of close is called Abzu but I've never played it myself. It has really positive reviews though and looks a lot more laid back than Subnautica going by footage.

e: Looking it up, it's made by the same people that made Journey. Might have to check it out now because Journey was incredible.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Only game I've seen that comes sort of close is called Abzu but I've never played it myself. It has really positive reviews though and looks a lot more laid back than Subnautica going by footage.

I actually just realized that EGS had given it away free at some point and am installing now.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

e: Looking it up, it's made by the same people that made Journey. Might have to check it out now because Journey was incredible.

Abzu is great but it’s really, really short and basically an underwater walking simulator that takes you from start to finish along a highly railroaded path. It’s visually amazing but there’s pretty much zero interaction with the environment apart from a few puzzle sequences.

You should absolutely play it but don’t go in there expecting anything like Subnautica.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Comrade Koba posted:

Abzu is great but it’s really, really short and basically an underwater walking simulator that takes you from start to finish along a highly railroaded path. It’s visually amazing but there’s pretty much zero interaction with the environment apart from a few puzzle sequences.

You should absolutely play it but don’t go in there expecting anything like Subnautica.

Which is probably why it was given out free on EGS.

Also there is Farsky, which is pretty much an older Subnautica light.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/286340/FarSky/

Real short game though.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I just wrapped up.

Dang. What can you say. Best survival game ever right? Haven't felt such... closure from a game in a while.

End game spoilers:

The Sea Empress had me reaching for my non-existent weapons. Jesus, what a loving jump scare after you had been dodging the Sea Dragon forever in Water Hell. Floating around with her in the mega tank was terrifying at first, I kept trying to go to ground to avoid the leviathan, just like the rest of the game had been training me to. But all she wanted to was to talk and find help for her babies. :unsmith:

I really appreciated the victory lap of collecting the enzyme samples and getting cured--it gave me the time to work out the reinforced armor and nuclear power I needed for just a little more convenience before finishing the rocket. And that's not counting the acutal victory lap when you're flipping all the rocket-switches. Felt good to leave a time capsule, and I hope someone appreciates a fuckload of power cells and a heat knife. I never got poo poo from a time capsule.

Also stumbled on the last two Degasi bases and collected the rest of the logs. Pouring out one for you Maida, you were a real one.

Also re: base chat. I accidentally put my final (non-escape capsule adjacent) base about 200m into the Deep Reef. Ended up being perfectly between the entrance to the Lost River and the Deep Reef portal to the final hub.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The end friend totally scared the poo poo out of me the first time she talked to me, it comes out of nowhere.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
It's best if you're in VR because she's literally like two feet from your face when she pops up.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
In below zero you learn a few more cool things about Maida and the Degassi. Not even going to spoiler tag it, but I can't wait for BZ to be done.

On a side note, has anyone tried that Nitrox mod for multiplayer? My wife got super excited when I mentioned it but I have no idea how viable it is and I'd hate to get it up and running only to disappoint.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

SynthesisAlpha posted:

On a side note, has anyone tried that Nitrox mod for multiplayer? My wife got super excited when I mentioned it but I have no idea how viable it is and I'd hate to get it up and running only to disappoint.

The mod is good and moderately stable. Observe a pair of goons using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljEEEXgUvEw

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Hello! I pop into this thread occasionally to ask the same question over and over, and it's time to ask it again!

Is Below Zero in a state that it's actually worth playing yet, or should I hold off another few months before picking it up?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

don't play it until it's actually out

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Gothsheep posted:

Hello! I pop into this thread occasionally to ask the same question over and over, and it's time to ask it again!

Is Below Zero in a state that it's actually worth playing yet, or should I hold off another few months before picking it up?

I've put over 70 hours into it so far and had a blast!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Gothsheep posted:

There is quite a bit that you can do, but the story just stops at one point and there is quite a bit [tbd] and [text] where your tablet should have descriptions of items and backstory.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Teledahn posted:

The mod is good and moderately stable. Observe a pair of goons using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljEEEXgUvEw

Friend and I have been playing this mod. It is janky in ways that exceed even the original Subnautica, issues we've run into:
Story breadcrumbs don't populate between players. Basically only one player will get the lifepod locations, radio transmissions, etc. We've had the Aurora explode like 10 times in the 100 days we've been playing it. The Sunbeam has also never arrived.

The "pacing" of the game is messed up such that even though we have explored MANY wreckages at depths >500m we can no longer find pieces of the cyclops, upgrade stations, or alien habitat blueprints. We also cannot find seamoth depth modules bluepints.

All non-world geometry (the Aurora, base parts, wreckage etc) are offset between the players by something like 5m in an arbitrary direction. This causes issues with pathing and two player base-building where certain parts are invisible and unable to be deconstructed by either player.

Scanning station modules disappear spontaneously and 100% of the time disappear when the player that installed them exits. The other player needs their own modules.

Seamoths randomly explode. (pretty sure this happened in singleplayer too, but it's much more prominent in multiplayer).

The location of Fauna isn't synced between the players, so one player will see a bone shark or whatever, and the other player won't.

Tons of other issues that contribute to the biggest issue: It basically feels like two people on voice-coms playing their own single player game of subnautica that is more janky. So unless that is the kind of thing you really like, i'd 100% avoid this mod for a while. They are actively working on it, but I doubt it will ever get to the level of say Minecraft/Terraria etc, where the two worlds are in sync.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Well, I finally beat hardcore mode- didn't even have to revert a save like I was prepared to do in case of a bugged death. I actually did the whole game without building the cyclops until the very very end. Because it's required, come to find out. Which sucks. I actually highly recommend it- taking a Prawn full up on storage modules hiking to set up deep bases was super enjoyable, and didn't feel like I had a big fragile baby to watch over. Also mastering the grappling hook to get fairly fast travel speed was a good challenge.

It was super interesting to see What happened if you turned off the gun prior to the Sunbeam entering orbit.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 2, 2020

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Sadly the Sunbeam is doomed to die no matter what as the turret will do its firing animation and the ship gets blown up. I think it glitches out a little. That's the last I heard about it at least, although I know that there is dialogue for saving it. The captain radios you and says that the debris field is too dangerous for them to land and says they let Alterra know.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Yes, the message from the captain is what I was alluding to with the spoilered text.

It's nice that they thought of that- but yeah if you shut the gun off after the ship begins its countdown timer the animation for the gun will still proceed.