Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Studio posted:

King's Quest and Adventure Game fan. King's Quest V sucks rear end. KQVI is alright? Like it's a fantastic classic adventure game, but classic adventure games are... not good. KQV is a worse KQVI where an annoying owl does nothing and Graham gets his rear end kicked and walking deaded in a million different ways.
Fair enough and I certainly agree that the 'classic' (say like 80's through mid-90's) adventure games are not good games. Having played all of them as a kid though, I've just never really seen KQ5 as much worse than any of the others. The me of today certainly wouldn't want to replay it...but that would apply to basically every adventure game before around 1995 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I was wondering how the hell FFVIIR got in so soon after release so I went to see what the scene was like and uh, what the hell happened to this game LMAO

SE please

PLEASE

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
like what is Cloud doing up there

why is Aerith one with the church rose window

help

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
King's Quest 5 is the PC CD version and is listed as CD Audio Showcase rather than a speedrun.

The CD audio absolutely belongs in the 'bad' bin. Especially if they're doing what I think they're doing with it. There's a bug that really messes it up, but in a funny way.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Gameboy Color Animorphs with a prime time slot, as it should be.

As a fan of bad games, this marathon looks to be everything I ever dreamed of.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Prism posted:

King's Quest 5 is the PC CD version and is listed as CD Audio Showcase rather than a speedrun.

The CD audio absolutely belongs in the 'bad' bin. Especially if they're doing what I think they're doing with it. There's a bug that really messes it up, but in a funny way.

Yonder is the crystal cave

There you will find a yeti

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 14, 2020

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
No more for today. :rip: It costs one gold coin to see Madam Mushka.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1pCxXrorKM

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Big Bad Gameathon rules and has a lot of highly entertaining runners. Secret of the Stars was hilarious when Pa Sama ran it in RPG Limit Break a few years ago and I'll definitely watch that as a finale. I will never forget Catboo

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

All the KQ games were awful, but KQ5 was peak "this puzzle has four different solutions, but three of them will cause the game to be unwinnable and/or kill you outright 3+ hours from now and it won't even be clear why" for the series. It definitely belongs there.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Importantly, it doesn't even have the more clever/funny walking dead states like Space Quest IV

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

With a bonus side of not understanding which item would have been helpful when you died so you can at least bring that one next time. Who knew custard pies were so useful against yetis?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

FreeKillB posted:

No more for today. :rip: It costs one gold coin to see Madam Mushka.

At least that made Cedric less annoying.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sgdq in 12 hours

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

yeah sgdq is cool but can they say slurs on stream??? no???? wow, what fascists.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Is there a thread?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Studio posted:

yeah sgdq is cool but can they say slurs on stream??? no???? wow, what fascists.

think of all the people who never developed a real sense of humor this excludes!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

WilliamAnderson posted:

Is there a thread?
There is now!

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

GDQ got me in the mood for some speedrunning, so I did my first Bionic Commando run in a little while. I was thinking it'd just be a warmup run and didn't bother recording video, so of course I end up PB'ing by almost 2 minutes.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
muscle memory ftw.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

So six years ago I set a world record in Candy Box 2 (game found here) https://candybox2.wordpress.com/

Every year or so since someone or a few people have submitted speedruns, but my record only got beat once in 2019, and I got it back in a single attempt, then got my first sub 15 on my very second attempt. Then the record stood dormant for another nearly 2 years until Jeet got the first sub 14 with a 13:59

This was a huge RNG fest struggle, and took four solid days of attempts, sometimes 12 hour sessions.

Candy Box 2 in 13:49 by Danzel Glovington

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BNgpoElJpE

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Zero Master got a new WR of Doom E4 NM-Speed, an improvement of 38 (or 43) seconds over the previous standing record! See it here.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

https://twitter.com/MWSpeedfest/status/1299009122961108992

https://horaro.org/mwsf2020/mwsf2020

https://www.twitch.tv/Midwestspeedfest

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

ah poo poo a Gimmick run today, that's always fun to watch

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

New Summoning Salt

The History of Contra World Records

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgOE64kgjjo

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Finished Ori and the Blind Forest today and checked out the speedruns for it.

God. drat. It is a pleasure to watch that high level play, it flows in a way very few games do IMO.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

https://twitter.com/MrCheeze_/status/1300632222286970881

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Famous last words

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i won't believe oot is fully solved until they can credit warp from the title screen

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm glad they have NMG runs of these games since glitch runs or arbitrary code execution is boring as hell from a speedrun entertainment perspective.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

this is the point in the future Summoning Salt video when you look down at the time and see there's still 30 min left in the video

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm glad they have NMG runs of these games since glitch runs or arbitrary code execution is boring as hell from a speedrun entertainment perspective.

your post execution is boring as hell from a speedrun entertainment perspective pal

Anyway, a key point is that this is being done on Master Quest for gamecube, not the original N64. It's a different thing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Hardest possible disagree

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Anyway, a key point is that this is being done on Master Quest for gamecube, not the original N64. It's a different thing.

just that video. the trick works on the normal gamecube version, meaning it'll be the fastest way to beat ocarina of time.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

fool of sound posted:

Hardest possible disagree

I think it depends if you're into watching someone ACE and are into the technical skill and know-how that goes into it or if you really just want to watch someone go fast.

Watching someone do what seems to be a random series of actions and then warp to the credits is pretty boring if you don't understand how it happens.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kuros posted:

I think it depends if you're into watching someone ACE and are into the technical skill and know-how that goes into it or if you really just want to watch someone go fast.

Watching someone do what seems to be a random series of actions and then warp to the credits is pretty boring if you don't understand how it happens.

I mean yeah but the 'entertainment speedrun' venues specifically have commentators to explain what's happening, regardless of its a glitches run or not.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

the any% oot speedrun is the worst speedrun of any 3d zelda, with mm a close second

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Kuros posted:

It's a progressive jazz situation where you're either into it or watching someone torture a music store.

I'm with the first guy. I remember heaving a sigh of relief when the Super Metroid statue skip was first done in realtime and the community said, "Yup, that's a thing." and promptly went back to regular any%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

heehee posted:

the any% oot speedrun is the worst speedrun of any 3d zelda, with mm a close second
I loving love watching someone do a lets play of twilight princess