Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There's no bajs involved with the runkering. It's not a fetish, just logistics; if you're going to the toilet anyway you might as well have a right proper wank on company time as well as do a poo poo. So you know if someone's Lync status is set to RuPa, you know they'll be a moment.
agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

rodbeard posted:

I have a neurological condition and I despise anything that depends on how hard you press a button. Everyting after the original dualshock controller was a mistake.

yeah, there's several reasons why more games don't use that feature. my point was it's a struggle to bring up "positive" qualities about the game.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Son of Rodney posted:

Imagine if women were as obviously horny as guys are, and they made this game. Just buff (but not too buff) guys in swimming slips writing in the sand, their dongs flopping around like a tiny inflatable tube man.

If someone makes a game that’s just Nathan Drake fondling himself I might lose my girlfriend

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doc Hawkins posted:

yeah, there's several reasons why more games don't use that feature. my point was it's a struggle to bring up "positive" qualities about the game.

IIRC a lot of people didn't even know about it and games never brought it up, hence why you had people complaining it was impossible to do chokeouts in MGS3.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC a lot of people didn't even know about it and games never brought it up, hence why you had people complaining it was impossible to do chokeouts in MGS3.

I think there was one PS3 game that told me at some point that I could press one of the face buttons soft or hard for different effects, I thought that was a dumb feature for the controller to have and luckily that was the last I ever saw of it. As opposed to the pressing of the analog sticks which also needs to gently caress off.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Griefor posted:

I think there was one PS3 game that told me at some point that I could press one of the face buttons soft or hard for different effects, I thought that was a dumb feature for the controller to have and luckily that was the last I ever saw of it. As opposed to the pressing of the analog sticks which also needs to gently caress off.

At least the analog stick button has a good reason for existing: they are out of room to add more buttons to the controller that your fingers can reach

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

At least the analog stick button has a good reason for existing: they are out of room to add more buttons to the controller that your fingers can reach

I was bummed the next gen controllers aren’t making back paddles standard, they’re kickass for letting you have way more buttons available.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Griefor posted:

I remember playing GTA3 as a kid and in order to start the vehicle missions (like taxi and ambulance missions) the game kept telling me to press R3 and i'm like 'what the hell is R3'? Took me forever to figure that out. I still hate pushing in those sticks.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was bummed the next gen controllers aren’t making back paddles standard, they’re kickass for letting you have way more buttons available.

I will probably stop gaming when that becomes standard. The whole point, to me, of a controller over kb+m is a simplified control scheme thats easier on my crippled hand. Back paddles would make keep a grip on the controller almost impossible

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I have an aftermarket PS4 controller (Scuf?) and the paddles are great substitutes for stick-press.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

RFC2324 posted:

I will probably stop gaming when that becomes standard. The whole point, to me, of a controller over kb+m is a simplified control scheme thats easier on my crippled hand. Back paddles would make keep a grip on the controller almost impossible

Back paddles are pretty commonly suggested for game accessibility

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, when I smashed my hand and couldn’t hold a pen for a couple of weeks, the back paddle was a godsend because I couldn’t reach triangle well. I don’t think it interferes with grip much at all, but I suppose everyone’s is a bit different.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Son of Rodney posted:

Imagine if women were as obviously horny as guys are, and they made this game. Just buff (but not too buff) guys in swimming slips writing in the sand, their dongs flopping around like a tiny inflatable tube man.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1296230611162718213

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My hand gets tired holding the controller because of the grip needed when I use the back button attachment but it's worth it. If the controller had been designed with them from the outset it'd probably be a lot more ergonomic and balanced. Shame the DS5 won't have 'em.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ahahahaha

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, when I smashed my hand and couldn’t hold a pen for a couple of weeks, the back paddle was a godsend because I couldn’t reach triangle well. I don’t think it interferes with grip much at all, but I suppose everyone’s is a bit different.

My problems are mine, just because its highly unlikely someone else destroyed their hand in the same way.

That said, the way I am reconstructed means it can be painful to grip in a way that makes the bottom half of my fingers move away from the top half, which then almost immediately start cramping into a claw. Back paddles being mandatory means no more controller gaming for me

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

RFC2324 posted:

My problems are mine, just because its highly unlikely someone else destroyed their hand in the same way.

That said, the way I am reconstructed means it can be painful to grip in a way that makes the bottom half of my fingers move away from the top half, which then almost immediately start cramping into a claw. Back paddles being mandatory means no more controller gaming for me

Seems like a good argument in favor of standardizing on open controllers that you can use on any system and per-game customizable control schemes. It really sucks that so few games let you remap the control schemes: I can kinda get indie games where time and resources are at a premium, but AAA games have no excuse.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Karia posted:

Seems like a good argument in favor of standardizing on open controllers that you can use on any system and per-game customizable control schemes. It really sucks that so few games let you remap the control schemes: I can kinda get indie games where time and resources are at a premium, but AAA games have no excuse.

I'll accept AAA titles without it if they actually spent hundreds of hours refining the control scheme across a ton of people, since that means serious that was invested in how the control scheme affects the game. Ofc, those are the games that admit they didn't get it perfect and let you adjust the scheme anyway, so

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

could any of yall explain what a back paddle is for the slow kids

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dabir posted:

It's a way of swimming

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dabir posted:

It's a form of hazing, which is really just a friendly way of saying "physical abuse to maintain social hierarchies."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dabir posted:

Its a big button on the back of the controller

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Karia posted:

MS is trying to get other platforms to support https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/xbox-adaptive-controller

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that would be great.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Everything I've heard about the Xbox accessibility efforts has been really amazing, that team has been putting serious effort in. The video I watched on how they designed the packaging to be accessible was really astounding. If they're trying to open their platform up then I'll cheer it on whole-heartedly. This stuff matters!

But it's important to remember that this does not serve as a replacement for in-game controller remapping and other accessibility solutions! Custom-build solutions are expensive, and some people just need to work around one finger or something, or need entirely different non-motor accomodations. Gamemaker's Toolkit has a really great series of videos on designing games for accessibility if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc38fcMFcV_vvWOhMDriBlVocTZ8mKQzR

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yeah, with a normal controller i just have to work around the fact i am missing one of the tendons that controls the middle finger, so using lb and lt at the same time is effectively impossible.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Actually there are many of us with masturbitis

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, with a normal controller i just have to work around the fact i am missing one of the tendons that controls the middle finger, so using lb and lt at the same time is effectively impossible.

A properly designed game shouldn't have those two buttons being pressed at the same time anyways. It's awkward no matter what.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Solice Kirsk posted:

A properly designed game shouldn't have those two buttons being pressed at the same time anyways. It's awkward no matter what.

I've played more than one game that wanted that, sadly. I wanna say FighterZ needs you to do that as a modifier to certain moves, and there was some shooter where lb was zoom(fairly standard) and lt was secondary fire, which was frustrating.

There are usually compromises made because of the limited number of buttons on the controller, which brings us back to additional buttons

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just play nothing but SNES. It's the best console anyways! :can:

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Karia posted:

But it's important to remember that this does not serve as a replacement for in-game controller remapping and other accessibility solutions! Custom-build solutions are expensive, and some people just need to work around one finger or something, or need entirely different non-motor accomodations. Gamemaker's Toolkit has a really great series of videos on designing games for accessibility if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc38fcMFcV_vvWOhMDriBlVocTZ8mKQzR

I'm a fan of designing (software, buildings, packages, literally everything) for accessibility from the start.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just play nothing but SNES. It's the best console anyways! :can:

I've been seriously considering one of those SNES gamepads. Its been a while since I played a link to the past

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I got really high and bought 500 baseball cards and an SNES with like 20 games the other night. Guess I was feeling nostalgic, ha!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Actually there are many of us with masturbitis

:lmao:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Dabir posted:

it's a Z trigger for each hand

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dabir posted:

You know the controllers your grandkids use when they're playing their nintendos? Its extra buttons on the back of those. They can usually be remapped to be any of the buttons on the front (including clicking in the control sticks, which no-one likes as a control) and many people like them as accessabilty option as they are easy to hit with whichever fingers you are using to support the controller, and many people who dont need the accessability aspect still like them because they are easier to hit than some of the other buttons if you are also using the trigger buttons to aim and shoot or whatever. They've been common in expensive third party controllers for a while now, and Sony recently released an aftermarket plug-in for PS4 controllers that added programmable back paddles. Everyone was expecting them to be standard on the new control pads for the next console generation, but they arent for some reason.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah they were supposed to be the next standard feature but the industry decided to back pedal instead

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RFC2324 posted:

I've been seriously considering one of those SNES gamepads. Its been a while since I played a link to the past

I use mine for Switch games whenever possible, with how light and simple it is as well as having years of muscle memory training it works pretty great. It absolutely works for River City Girls and a good chunk of Clubhouse/International Games.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Solice Kirsk posted:

I got really high and bought 500 baseball cards and an SNES with like 20 games the other night. Guess I was feeling nostalgic, ha!

During my student days I lived in a flat with a huge Nintendo fan, he had a snes and a solid collection of the greats. Playing them on his old tube TV was such a nostalgic yet surprisingly fun trip back in time. Having a old school snes and the actual game cartridges is somehow a step above emulating them or even using the snes classic. Blowing a cartridge and then slamming and wiggling it into the tight slot, while anxiously fingering the well used buttons of the curvy yet petite controller is just an amazing thrill every time. Aw yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Son of Rodney posted:

During my student days I lived in a flat with a huge Nintendo fan, he had a snes and a solid collection of the greats. Playing them on his old tube TV was such a nostalgic yet surprisingly fun trip back in time. Having a old school snes and the actual game cartridges is somehow a step above emulating them or even using the snes classic. Blowing a cartridge and then slamming and wiggling it into the tight slot, while anxiously fingering the well used buttons of the curvy yet petite controller is just an amazing thrill every time. Aw yeah.

this post made me feel slightly dirty