Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Radio laws are just fuckin weird. I have a little handheld air-band transceiver that I use as a backup in the airplane, and it would be illegal for me to take to the UK. Not because of the transmitter function, but because in the UK it is illegal for an unlicensed civilian to own a receiver capable of picking up aviation frequencies. Same goes for police scanners, EMS, and anything else where "you don't have a good reason to listen to that."

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everybody back to 27mhz and telescoping antennas!!

I recently found and revived my Losi Micro T which has a 27mhz tx with telescoping antenna, and that is honestly the worst part. This thing loses reception 30 feet away and having to deploy that light saber just makes it feel so ancient with no nostalgia at all.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sagebrush posted:

Radio laws are just fuckin weird. I have a little handheld air-band transceiver that I use as a backup in the airplane, and it would be illegal for me to take to the UK. Not because of the transmitter function, but because in the UK it is illegal for an unlicensed civilian to own a receiver capable of picking up aviation frequencies. Same goes for police scanners, EMS, and anything else where "you don't have a good reason to listen to that."

???

So your average joe in the UK couldn’t set up an ADS-B antenna and do the whole flight feeder thing without a permit?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Anyone got any thoughts on using FPV goggles with glasses?
I'm shortsighted. Would like to be able to quickly go from FPV to LOS. The fancy ones where you have prescription insets custom made are more than I would spend.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Xaintrailles posted:

I'm shortsighted. Would like to be able to quickly go from FPV to LOS. The fancy ones where you have prescription insets custom made are more than I would spend.

Yessir, step right in.

First I tried box goggles, so I wouldn't have to take my glasses off. These work okay but are very heavy and awkward. However, you specifically said you want to go from FPV to LOS and so that means you need to keep your glasses on, so this is probably the best choice - and/or using a monitor; the box goggles I got (FXT Vipers) were actually just a decent screen and then a big chunk of plastic to strap the screen into.

I got tired of having this big clunky thing sitting on my head, so I decided to try non-box goggles. My prescription is around -3.75 so I at first was using HD2s, which take the cheap (~$20?) diopter sets at stock -2/-4/-6 grinds. I used -4 and it was 'okay'. Still blurry and had to really squint to focus my vision on the corners of the screen.

I was considering getting custom diopters ground (several of the folks I fly with have those) and then I saw the newest/top-of-the-line HDO2s included a dialable focus for each eye instead of a diopter slot. They dropped right when a quarterly bonus hit for me so I went for it. Absolutely 100% worth it. The OLED screens are beautiful and I have the focus perfectly dialed in so that without my glasses it's 100% crisp and clear. Plus, in pre-COVID days, I don't have to take the diopters off to hand them to somebody else to take a look.

I know you said it's more than you would spend but I'm just saying, unlike a lot of things in this hobby, you use the same goggles on absolutely everything you fly, it may well be worth considering. :)

aunt jenkins fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 4, 2020

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Xaintrailles posted:

I did some work with a fixed wing plane set up for mapping and flew it both LOS and FPV. I don’t use glasses, but when going from FPV to LOS it took far too long to put on sunglasses, let my eyes to adjust to the brightness, and orient my head to find the plane. It was far easier and safer to set up a monitor to look at (cheaper too).

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Comedy option, I wear glasses and use the sky02x goggles with diopter inserts, but they have a forward facing camera you can switch to.

For real though get decent goggles it's the whole point of the hobby.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The FXT Viper is a pretty good option at ~$100. But it doesn't real compare to my fatsharks with diopter lenses, much more comfortable and higher quality/resolution/light isolation/etc.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I'm sure moving from googles to LOS isn't realistic, was just hoping to have a plausible out for the crappy UK legal situation - no way I could regularly get a spotter.
I didn't know you could get custom lenses for Skyzones, better but still pricey. FXT Viper isn't too bad but it's £140 (like $180 inc. UK tax).
That plus a good radio and a quad (and a £9 registration ha) is still a lot of money for a questionably-legal hobby when half the reason I'm interested is to fly something that can take being slammed into the ground better than my heli (cracked the canopy today even with tape on it...). Could just buy 6 more k110s.
Will see how I feel after more flight time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

just run your drones on a really long hdmi cable tether duh

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
No regulation says the tether must provide video or power.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Gimbal and a telescoping unicycle. Now, watch me split s my RC car.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Got myself a Mavic Mini today and started zooming around LA a bit. This poo poo rules.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
same but mavic air 2 and in SF (well east bay). gota edit some of the videos i took

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
The litchi beta app on android ($24) has added the minis sdk, gaining waypoints, tracking and following.

I haven't had a chance to test it but there are a few early use vids up on YouTube. https://youtu.be/swdIB12UOK0
I watch on mute a lot, sorry if this is a turbo nerd.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I ventured north again to get some good lighthouse shots. This is a fully automated flight around the lighthouse, harbor, walkway, everything you see is the drone flying itself.

I have to say I really do love Parrots Flight Plan. At a few points the drone was upwards of 2500 feet away and 80 or so feet up, so no chance of LOS and fpv was very spotty at that range. I built the flight plan so it didn’t go over any people and just let it run. 8 minutes and some change later and it was hovering above me.

https://youtu.be/PVa1TxDwUqc

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This is a total long-shot but is anyone here in Iowa and equipped to gather some field footage? It's for some potential storm damage detection. I need to do some groundtruthing to compare to some space-based radar change detection. Sorry, no, there's no grant money or anything, I'm just doing this as an aside.

In short, I'm trying to determine if this is actually reporting real corn-laying-down/damaged changes, or if I'm accidentally picking up moisture changes or something else:

I have been able to confirm that almost entirely only corn fields are highlighted here, but I don't have the ability to really peer out into them to see the extent of the damage, since where I'm at, most of the damage is light. If someone were in/near that thicker red area, I'd love some aerial footage to compare against. I could pick out the most strongly-indicated fields in an area to help.

I'm hoping to have coverage from Omaha to Chicago soon, but so far, I have this patch and maybe another area that covers like Cedar Rapids to Rockford, Dubuque to Davenport.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Bad Munki posted:

This is a total long-shot but is anyone here in Iowa and equipped to gather some field footage? It's for some potential storm damage detection. I need to do some groundtruthing to compare to some space-based radar change detection. Sorry, no, there's no grant money or anything, I'm just doing this as an aside.

In short, I'm trying to determine if this is actually reporting real corn-laying-down/damaged changes, or if I'm accidentally picking up moisture changes or something else:

I have been able to confirm that almost entirely only corn fields are highlighted here, but I don't have the ability to really peer out into them to see the extent of the damage, since where I'm at, most of the damage is light. If someone were in/near that thicker red area, I'd love some aerial footage to compare against. I could pick out the most strongly-indicated fields in an area to help.

I'm hoping to have coverage from Omaha to Chicago soon, but so far, I have this patch and maybe another area that covers like Cedar Rapids to Rockford, Dubuque to Davenport.

I don't know of a drone connection but I could probably get some ground images through some contacts.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It'd need to be about August 11 or later, pretty recent stuff.

I actually found a couple areas not far from me that are really incredibly strongly indicated. If my guess is right and I'm not just picking up some weird groundwater saturation artifact (based on the different polarizations, I'm probably not) then these fields about a half hour from me should be pretty visibly obliterated:

Never mind the "development purposes only" thing, for some reason my maps api key isn't playing well with QGIS or vice versa

In this image, pink is "really really really strongly indicated" and yellow is "beyond stupidly indicated like wtf man," so I'm hoping I can tell from the ground if it matches up or not.

We'll see. If I find something interesting, maybe this turns into something and I decide to sink some money into my own equipment. 💸

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 22, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone here have a parrot Anafi? I have a line on a cheap new in box one. The smart money seems to be on a Mavic Air 2 of course but the Anafi is less than half the cost and one of the main things I do is fly flight plans and the Air 2 still is hampered by DJI’s bizarre insistence that you build flight plans by physically flying to a place and setting a waypoint which wastes time, battery and is an unnecessary risk.

The parrot drones let you pre-plan flights on your phone or tablet and then fly them which is like 90% of my use case.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Will the MA2 work with Litchi? If so that's a much better platform for flight plan waypoints

E: looks like, no, not yet but maybe in the near future?

CloFan fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 22, 2020

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The smart money seems to be on a Mavic Air 2 of course but the Anafi is less than half the cost ...
And the Anafi was recently approved by the DoD to be used, which means that the current administration probably won't outright ban their use in the United States because China might be infiltrating us through them like the are doing through our TikToks. :v: I mean, unless the US suddenly decides to hate France as well. uh oh.

Does the Teal Drones’ Golden Eagle have wheels? There's an unusual feature for a quadcopter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah weirdly Parrot started making a “USA” version which it claims is made in the US

https://www.parrot.com/us/drones/anafi-usa

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone here have a parrot Anafi? I have a line on a cheap new in box one. The smart money seems to be on a Mavic Air 2 of course but the Anafi is less than half the cost and one of the main things I do is fly flight plans and the Air 2 still is hampered by DJI’s bizarre insistence that you build flight plans by physically flying to a place and setting a waypoint which wastes time, battery and is an unnecessary risk.

The parrot drones let you pre-plan flights on your phone or tablet and then fly them which is like 90% of my use case.

Well the Anafi seems to have fallen through so does anyone have a Mavic air 2 that they’d like to provide their thoughts on?

Thinking I can get away without the flight planning if the big range that DJI advertises is indeed true. I use the flight plan to handle situations that would take the drone out of video range but I can’t see myself making a flight plan that goes past the DJI advertised 6 miles

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I'm still learning to fly the Mavic Mini I got a few weeks back, but I dragged it along with me on vacation and I have to say, I can't imagine traveling anywhere without it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RSTAoIh5l0

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

I just tried FPV and hahaha holy poo poo!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Xaintrailles posted:

I just tried FPV and hahaha holy poo poo!

It's pretty great!

I was finally able to take my sailfly out to the park and have a decent fly for the first time in weeks. Last weekend was wayy too windy, I gave up after 2 packs. The weeks before that I was waiting for replacement motors (I was hoping that I'd just broken a cable, but replacing the connector didn't help. I must have broken one of the coils in the motor or cracked a magnet or something).

Practiced my power loops (I am still bad at going backwards enough to properly loop around) and tried the sailfly on 2S rather than 3S. It's considerably more sedate and I think I'll predominantly fly it on 2S.

I was getting a bit of bobble that I think was wind, but it's hard to tell. I'm not really sure how to go about tuning as I don't have a laptop to bring with me and it's a little bit too quick to fly indoors and tune that way. Anyone got any suggestions?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Splode posted:

It's pretty great!

I was finally able to take my sailfly out to the park and have a decent fly for the first time in weeks. Last weekend was wayy too windy, I gave up after 2 packs. The weeks before that I was waiting for replacement motors (I was hoping that I'd just broken a cable, but replacing the connector didn't help. I must have broken one of the coils in the motor or cracked a magnet or something).

Practiced my power loops (I am still bad at going backwards enough to properly loop around) and tried the sailfly on 2S rather than 3S. It's considerably more sedate and I think I'll predominantly fly it on 2S.

I was getting a bit of bobble that I think was wind, but it's hard to tell. I'm not really sure how to go about tuning as I don't have a laptop to bring with me and it's a little bit too quick to fly indoors and tune that way. Anyone got any suggestions?

There is an iphone/Android app that actually works pretty well. You just nerd a cable with the correct ends.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CapnBry posted:

Does the Teal Drones’ Golden Eagle have wheels? There's an unusual feature for a quadcopter.
No they're hinges on the arms.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

A Proper Uppercut posted:

There is an iphone/Android app that actually works pretty well. You just nerd a cable with the correct ends.

hmm good idea, time to dig up one of those weird USB-C to USB mini adaptors kicking around in my tub of cables...

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

So, is it possible to get betaflight's crash behaviour to respect throttle limit or otherwise tone it down? Using a tinyhawk 2 on 2S with low rates (so it flies more like 1S) I clipped a twig and my drone rocketed itself into my neighbour's garden, I think it wouldn't have made it over the fence with the same crash on the actual 1S battery. Wall collision behaviour also seems better on 1S. It's certainly quieter.

Also, I can't bind my E010 with the TX16S, guides say to reduce multiprotocol radio power to 30mW but I don't see the option on this radio (there's a "low power" toggle but it doesn't work). How do I do that?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Xaintrailles posted:

So, is it possible to get betaflight's crash behaviour to respect throttle limit or otherwise tone it down?
Crash recovery essentially turns on Angle mode for a short time or until the craft is close to level, so all the regular limits are still in place. You can tone it down by reducing the Angle Level Strength in the PID settings, but that will also affect Angle mode obviously.

quote:

Also, I can't bind my E010 with the TX16S, guides say to reduce multiprotocol radio power to 30mW but I don't see the option on this radio (there's a "low power" toggle but it doesn't work). How do I do that?
When Multiprotocol goes into Bind mode, it automatically lowers the power on every protocol that I know of. Checking the source code it does set the nRF24L01 to a lower than low power bind power properly. Are you using the MJXq protocol, subprotocol 4? If you still can't get it to work, changing the "option" value from 0 to anything else changes to use the CC2500 instead of the nrf chip and tries to emulate the same protocol, so that's an option. If it is non-zero, it indicates a frequency offset for the CC2500 chip so you might try a few different positive and negative values to see if one matches up better with your receiver. If the option value is zero then that means use the nRF chip with 0 offset.

EDIT: But also be sure your Multiprotocol is on the latest version because that thing is undergoing constant updates and there's no telling what version the manufacturer randomly decides to install.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Xaintrailles posted:

So, is it possible to get betaflight's crash behaviour to respect throttle limit or otherwise tone it down? Using a tinyhawk 2 on 2S with low rates (so it flies more like 1S) I clipped a twig and my drone rocketed itself into my neighbour's garden, I think it wouldn't have made it over the fence with the same crash on the actual 1S battery. Wall collision behaviour also seems better on 1S. It's certainly quieter.

As CapnBry said turn on crash recovery, but also double check which version of BF you are running. I had an early version of 4.0 a while back on my 6” and whenever I would clip a branch it would flip out and yeet itself 50 feet in the air before I could disarm which was apparently common behavior. The newer versions don’t do that.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

My Mobula 6 HD arrived, it's a remarkably nice camera. Quad flies like a brick but I knew what I was getting into.

In other news my sailfly X blew up a fet, which is going to be annoying to replace. I'm considering just getting a geprc phantom, as it seems like it'll be considerably tougher given the frame and multi-board construction. Has anyone got one? The sailfly is fun but it's a hangar queen and the rate it requires spare parts is completely wiping out it's low price.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Thanks!

I don't see an "option" value? I did try the RF Freq. fine tune from -120 to 120 with increments of 10.

Radio version date is 2020-06-14, latest one. Multiprotocol module does have a newer firmware so I will give that a shot.

pre:
# get crash_recovery
###WARNING: NO CUSTOM DEFAULTS FOUND###
crash_recovery_angle = 10
profile 0
Allowed range: 5 - 30

crash_recovery_rate = 100
profile 0
Allowed range: 50 - 255

crash_recovery = ON
profile 0
Allowed values: OFF, ON, BEEP, DISARM
Default value: OFF

# version
# Betaflight / STM32F411 (S411) 4.1.0 Oct 16 2019 / 11:57:34 (c37a7c91a) MSP API: 1.42
# manufacturer_id: MTKS   board_name: MATEKF411RX   custom defaults: NO
Setting crash_recovery_rate lower might help? I could try just setting it to DISARM with a higher angle.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Updated the multiprotocol module firmware and E010 still doesn't bind.

e: are there any alternative dirt cheap indoor drones that work with the tx16s?

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 31, 2020

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Xaintrailles posted:

I don't see an "option" value? I did try the RF Freq. fine tune from -120 to 120 with increments of 10.
Oh yeah I forgot it got renamed to RF Freq Fine Tune, but that's the option value I was talking about. If it is 0 it uses nRF, if it is non-zero it uses the CC2500. It says in the wiki that the protocol is sort of hit or miss though, so it is possible you're just going to remain frustrated.

crash_recovery_rate is somewhat poorly named, in that it is the attitude below which crash recovery ends, so the default will level you within 10 degrees of level then turn off. It doesn't change the rate at which crash recovery works-- the angle mode level strength is used for that. I wouldn't fly with crash recovery on outdoors, it's more for recovering when bouncing off walls and it kicks in all the time and can make things feel weird. There's also yaw jump prevention which is a separate feature and just corrects for a sideways yaw motion that comes from clipping something on one side (detected by a quick yaw rate that's uncommanded), and that works pretty ok by itself. It is on by default.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Harvey Baldman posted:

I'm still learning to fly the Mavic Mini I got a few weeks back, but I dragged it along with me on vacation and I have to say, I can't imagine traveling anywhere without it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RSTAoIh5l0

Nice stuff, good for memories of the trip with the shots of your pod. Be careful though, not sure where you flew exactly but if you threw you violating any laws on youtube sometimes people will get pissy about it. Like, be careful tossing the link around facebook and stuff.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Xaintrailles posted:

Updated the multiprotocol module firmware and E010 still doesn't bind.

e: are there any alternative dirt cheap indoor drones that work with the tx16s?

Maybe a Blade Inductrix (Spektrum) or BeeRotor TinyBee (FrSky). I have not used the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gonna pull the trigger on a Mavic Air 2 :stoked: