Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Groovelord Neato posted:

Her hair did always look like poo poo.

she was cosplaying a techbro, you gotta have a bad haircut until you’re RICH rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I do like that daou went from hillary stan to bernie bro but I guess I don't know what he is now

did he blackpill?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

moist turtleneck posted:

I do like that daou went from hillary stan to bernie bro but I guess I don't know what he is now

did he blackpill?

Looking at his twitter he looks like a pretty normal angry DSA guy.

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1296548732431990786

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

thinking and loling about Verrit.

I looked it up and see it is now defunct, which I honestly didn't know but I'm not surprised. I never understood the purpose of it. Hillary voters can interact and share facts with each other, for the purpose of debating? Debating who, though? other Hillary supporters?

I thought it was supposed to be like, a novel solution to the fact checking problem. Which y'know, lol.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tulip posted:

Looking at his twitter he looks like a pretty normal angry DSA guy.

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1296548732431990786

He used to be one of the most die-hard Hillary supporters in 2016 so it's weird.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Groovelord Neato posted:

He used to be one of the most die-hard Hillary supporters in 2016 so it's weird.

So from everything I’ve read Daou is an intensely loyal person to people he believes in. So when he became friends with Hillary he went full ride or die and blinded himself
to all her faults

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
watching daou crack and ping has owned

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Twitter made an algorithm to block white supremacist posts but never deployed it because during testing it kept tagging Republican elected officials.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Twitter made an algorithm to block white supremacist posts but never deployed it because during testing it kept tagging Republican elected officials.

It's deployed in Germany isn't it?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

One More Fat Nerd posted:

They were funny, but i have too much family from Appalachia to ever believe they were real.

Oh, I'm certain they weren't being made by real rednecks. Just college kids who recently watched Matewan.

It's cool and good to watch Matewan, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjh29QNKLCc

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

watching daou crack and ping has owned

marxism-leninism-daouism

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tulip posted:

It's deployed in Germany isn't it?

Germany has hate speech laws so they have to block those tweets.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCqADR4Fj88

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

vyelkin posted:

marxism-leninism-daouism

Daouism Third Worldism

Groovelord Neato posted:

Germany has hate speech laws so they have to block those tweets.

Yeah, just wasn't sure if it was algorithmic or manual. Still very funny that Germans get Special Better Twitter.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Twitter admitted that they couldn't crack down on Nazis and bots because they made up too substantial a part of their userbase

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

theres also the story from way back when they were trying to get bought out and when discussing it with disney, disney asked jack what they were doing to combat all the hate speech and he asked what hate speech

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
that's a lol

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/repjoekennedy/status/1005114067059728384?s=21

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I looked it up and see it is now defunct, which I honestly didn't know but I'm not surprised. I never understood the purpose of it. Hillary voters can interact and share facts with each other, for the purpose of debating? Debating who, though? other Hillary supporters?

Lmao

Double lmao

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

reminds me of the 2016 metric system guy, because he made the same kind of excuse

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

I suppose I'm supposed to feel bad because all that money could have gone to a worthwhile cause right? Because I do not remotely give a poo poo that greedy rich fuckers got taken for a ride.
I would be impressed that a 19 year old college dropout managed to found a company in 2003, raise over $50M within three years, and $800M in 13 years with a valuation of $10B, but I've learned that venture capital doesn't mean what they taught me in college and consists of throwing money at companies that are not and can not be profitable, or that market products that do not and can not work.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Peter Daou's failure may have broken him, but he survived the crucible of succ and is now pretty good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

I would be impressed that a 19 year old college dropout managed to found a company in 2003, raise over $50M within three years, and $800M in 13 years with a valuation of $10B, but I've learned that venture capital doesn't mean what they taught me in college and consists of throwing money at companies that are not and can not be profitable, or that market products that do not and can not work.

there's a theory that holmes was just the public face, and that her associate who actually planned the con got out with money and no charges. i don't remember the dude's name. it's also still possible that holmes knew how to manipulate horny old rich men who mistakenly believed themselves to be smart into giving her money and kept escalating from there. she grew up around that sort of guy, after all.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's a theory that holmes was just the public face, and that her associate who actually planned the con got out with money and no charges. i don't remember the dude's name. it's also still possible that holmes knew how to manipulate horny old rich men who mistakenly believed themselves to be smart into giving her money and kept escalating from there. she grew up around that sort of guy, after all.

Ramesh Balwani was the main other party and he is definitely facing trial

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Raising the money isn't actually that impressive seeing as she had cheat mode on of having rich and connected parents who set everything up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

From all the reporting despite Balwani being many years her senior Holmes was always the controlling force.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

From all the reporting despite Balwani being many years her senior Holmes was always the controlling force.

She just had this weird, like, power over all of us yenno? Couldn't stop her no matter what!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

She just had this weird, like, power over all of us yenno? Couldn't stop her no matter what!

One could say she had them by the balls

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If Holmes hadn't picked medical technology she probably would've been successful or at least kept the grift going indefinitely.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Reminds me of the time Lincoln Chafee ran for president and was immediately derailed by his first major interview when the reporter asked him "why did you vote for this one awful bill?" and he responded "it was my first day in the Senate and I hadn't read it"

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Adam Sandler performing at the 2004 RNC

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Reminds me of the time Lincoln Chafee ran for president and was immediately derailed by his first major interview when the reporter asked him "why did you vote for this one awful bill?" and he responded "it was my first day in the Senate and I hadn't read it"

“and my dad had just died”

if the dnc was as competent at governing as they were at keeping real primary contenders out of 2016, we’d be halfway to gay space communism

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Sean Spicer.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Groovelord Neato posted:

If Holmes hadn't picked medical technology she probably would've been successful or at least kept the grift going indefinitely.

a big part of the tech grift is getting people to look past the flaws in your product in the name of “saving the world”; whether or not you believe that your product will someday actually be able to save the world is beside the point, but you have to either believe or convince others that you believe that you’re doing Important Work which gets people to maybe not question things at all

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

everybody has their own salt and pepper lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Groovelord Neato posted:

shoulda made a car or a video game or something

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Declan MacManus posted:

a big part of the tech grift is getting people to look past the flaws in your product in the name of “saving the world”; whether or not you believe that your product will someday actually be able to save the world is beside the point, but you have to either believe or convince others that you believe that you’re doing Important Work which gets people to maybe not question things at all

Yes my Tesla becomes a screaming trash battery fire as it barrels into a firetruck because its tauted 'self-driving' feature is basically a colorblind google algorithm hooked up to a cracked camera...But we're saving the world man.

Love the car. CBRTRK

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

muscles like this! posted:

Raising the money isn't actually that impressive seeing as she had cheat mode on of having rich and connected parents who set everything up.

an early board member was family friend henry kissinger

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I just signed up for a podcast patreon and I'm going through their backlog, I'm 17 minutes into an ep from January 2019 and they've talked about the government shutdown, the Covington Catholic kids, and the guy who mailed pipe bombs to all those Democrats. Was I even alive back then?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

thats a funny angle i hadnt considered but yeah, its true. she could have chosen some other dumb idea that was just as worthless but actually doable in concept and just coasted to a multibillion dollar valuation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Stunning Honky posted:

everybody has their own salt and pepper lol

also imagine being that rich and not having a pepper mill??

i'm poor as poo poo and i have one