Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not like the Mongols would really pretend they're there for any reason but conquest either way, I'm pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nobody talks much about just walking around jamming on a flute as the wind blows in Tsushima but it’s one of my favorite things in the game.

HenryEx posted:

The music wasn't encoded at all in the original, it was synthesized and played live by the sound chip? :confused:

It's extremely easy to see because the whole OST encoded to CD music takes up 4 discs on its own, there would've been no space left for the actual game

man it’s a really good thing I said “sounds like” then, in my post that you are trying to respond to there

the music in the original sounds terrible even though the compositions are great

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritfarer is a game where you are an adorable psychopomp who solves problems through the medium of your magical crafting/gardening boat that also is inventory tetris and also through adorable hugs.

It also allows you to force a corrupt CEO to give his employees fair wages, medical benefits, and vacation days.

I am not sure there is a game made more for me than this one but I will take it.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I just finished Spiritfarer, and I seriously loved it, it's great that so long as you don't overlap your buildings you can shove them anywhere, they don't even have to be on another building, so if you want to shove a chicken coop a mile into the air, go for it.

The end result is your ship is a hilarious maze of ladders and ledges.

I'm also really glad that your passengers weren't puzzles or cases to be "solved" your job is too simply make them comfortable and listen to them as you ferried them around until they were ready too move on, it meant that their stories were much more "mundane" but also more impactful.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I seriously cannot get over just how sweet Spiritfarer is. It's as if somebody sat down with the sole goal of "let's make a game that is 100% pure good vibes", and succeeded perfectly. Plus, you can pet your kitty. :allears:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't think I'd ever try Spiritfarer having completed other emotionally devastating games like Edith Finch and Photographs.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Aug 22, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

food court bailiff posted:

Nobody talks much about just walking around jamming on a flute as the wind blows in Tsushima but it’s one of my favorite things in the game.

Hell yeah it's great

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Spiritfarer is a game where you are an adorable psychopomp who solves problems through the medium of your magical crafting/gardening boat that also is inventory tetris and also through adorable hugs.

It also allows you to force a corrupt CEO to give his employees fair wages, medical benefits, and vacation days.

I am not sure there is a game made more for me than this one but I will take it.

Also one of the tabs for side objectives is labeled "Shenanigans"

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Oh, since we're gushing about Spiritfarer, I love the fact that it's another game that shows you don't need combat or even a failure state, to have engaging gameplay.

Seriously, I loved just sailing around the world picking up treasures and resources in order to continue building up my baffling monstrosity of a ship.

Hell, the game doesn't even have an antagonist, sure there are some jerks, some of them are even your passengers, but they aren't people to be overcome, just understood.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I like the idea of transmog systems in theory but far, far too often they end up overshadowing the problem they're ostensibly trying to fix by adding needless complexity or other bullshit designed to increase grind and/or nudge you towards a cash shop. Same with any dye system.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Aug 23, 2020

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

I like the idea of transmog systems in theory but far, far too often they end up overshadowing the problem they're ostensibly trying to fix by adding needless complexity or other bullshit designed to increase grind and/or nudge you towards a cash shop.

I like Nioh's version because its incredibly simple. Oh, you touched a piece of armor at any point? You can slap that skin on whatever you want forever now. The only way it could be easier is if the option was right there in your inventory instead of at the blacksmith.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
DC Universe Online does it kinda nicely. New gear unlocks new styles, but you can just set the style of any piece of your hero/villain's gear to one you've unlocked. Of course a superhero game would have to do it well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

DC Universe Online does it kinda nicely. New gear unlocks new styles, but you can just set the style of any piece of your hero/villain's gear to one you've unlocked. Of course a superhero game would have to do it well.

City of Heroes kinda just cut out the middleman and makes costumes entirely cosmetic. Though they took a lot longer to figure out power customisation.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The battle system inFF7R gels with me so hard, I’m having an absolute blast and it is going to ruin all other JRPGs for me. In addition, I take back everything bad I ever said about real-time-with-pause systems because clearly it can be done in an awesome and satisfying way.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I was going to quote the original transmog post to respond about this, but you beat me to it. The RIFT system is neat, but it still leads to needing to stockpile a bunch of random items in case you ever want to use that style, while DC Universe Online turns it into a completionist Pokemon collect-athon for equipment styles. I've always loved this because even low-level trash gear or stuff that you've already gotten best-in-slot for can be an experience of "ooh, new gear style, let's see how this looks with everything". Guild Wars 2 mostly uses the same system with the style unlocks even being account-wide rather than character-wide, but they gate style-changes behind an in-game reward currency, which I've always found kind of unfortunate; it makes it so you can't experiment with style sets as much as you level up, because you'll constantly be swapping in new gear that overwrites everything and wastes the transmog charge.

Honestly, I wish GW2 had the same idea for gear stats as well. It's already a big burden to farm up an entire extra set of gear for a secondary build or stat spread, but then having to waste a bunch of bank slots AND spend the resources to transmog all of it on top of that is a really strong incentive to just pick one strong meta build and ride that poo poo into the ground. Fingers crossed that an expansion doesn't suddenly make you need a bunch of stuff you trashed years ago.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

food court bailiff posted:

The battle system inFF7R gels with me so hard, I’m having an absolute blast and it is going to ruin all other JRPGs for me. In addition, I take back everything bad I ever said about real-time-with-pause systems because clearly it can be done in an awesome and satisfying way.

Absolutely same, I liked turn based fine but ff7r is just a delight. Even at the end I didn't get tired of it and the extra challenges were fun as hell.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I bought Hitman (2016) yesterday and i really like how professional the bodyguards in the 1st france level are,they’re really polite when they pat you down :3

Also i had 47 dress as a model and go on the catwalk,he glams it up.

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Aug 23, 2020

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I bought Hitman (2016) yesterday

Whoops, it's going to be free on epic next week.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vanguard Warden posted:

I was going to quote the original transmog post to respond about this, but you beat me to it. The RIFT system is neat, but it still leads to needing to stockpile a bunch of random items in case you ever want to use that style, while DC Universe Online turns it into a completionist Pokemon collect-athon for equipment styles. I've always loved this because even low-level trash gear or stuff that you've already gotten best-in-slot for can be an experience of "ooh, new gear style, let's see how this looks with everything". Guild Wars 2 mostly uses the same system with the style unlocks even being account-wide rather than character-wide, but they gate style-changes behind an in-game reward currency, which I've always found kind of unfortunate; it makes it so you can't experiment with style sets as much as you level up, because you'll constantly be swapping in new gear that overwrites everything and wastes the transmog charge.

Honestly, I wish GW2 had the same idea for gear stats as well. It's already a big burden to farm up an entire extra set of gear for a secondary build or stat spread, but then having to waste a bunch of bank slots AND spend the resources to transmog all of it on top of that is a really strong incentive to just pick one strong meta build and ride that poo poo into the ground. Fingers crossed that an expansion doesn't suddenly make you need a bunch of stuff you trashed years ago.

Unlocking new costume parts if done right is always super fun and gives people incentive to engage with content without feeling as much like they need to.

I bought Hitman (2016) yesterday and i really like how professional the bodyguards in the 1st france level are,they’re really polite when they pat you down :3

Nearly every stage has the most audacious possible disguise implied to be the canon one.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Tagichatn posted:

Whoops, it's going to be free on epic next week.

ah well,i haven't heard many good things about Epic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's fine

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HELMUT: Enter A World Of Being Assassinated

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's just a storefront and game launcher. You don't have to disown your Steam collection and pledge almighty allegiance to Tim Sweeney, you just have to... claim a free game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

City of Heroes kinda just cut out the middleman and makes costumes entirely cosmetic. Though they took a lot longer to figure out power customisation.

I believe it wasn't so much 'figuring it out' (although the longer an MMO goes on the more it starts becoming a wild house of cards, so it probably wasn't exactly easy to crack) as it was putting in the sheer manpower required to make every single powerset's effects able to be custom-colored.

But yeah, CoH's power customization literally spoiled me for every single MMO afterwards. I do character concepts elaborate enough that the game can't reflect it, because I got used to that from an MMO that let you stretch its aesthetics far enough that I could swing making the Plant Control powerset look like metal and get close enough that you'd buy it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

It's just a storefront and game launcher. You don't have to disown your Steam collection and pledge almighty allegiance to Tim Sweeney, you just have to... claim a free game.

I’m...not doing that?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I’m...not doing that?

There's a subcategory of insane person that thinks Epic is stealing their information to sell to China and that by signing up for a digital storefront you're compromising everything in your life

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not like the Mongols would really pretend they're there for any reason but conquest either way, I'm pretty sure.

A couple of them do actually mention the concept of the 'Great Peace', i.e. "We wouldn't be at war if we were all part of one empire!" but it's very clear that this is basically Khotun Khan trying to get clout.

John Murdoch posted:

I like the idea of transmog systems in theory but far, far too often they end up overshadowing the problem they're ostensibly trying to fix by adding needless complexity or other bullshit designed to increase grind and/or nudge you towards a cash shop. Same with any dye system.

FF14 does it really well (probably because you have to pay a sub so they don't need to nickel and dime you with transmogs). To transmog something you need a 'glamor prism' which are pretty cheap to the point that I still have 50 of them lying around and could buy a bunch more without noticing. In an in room you use a glamor prism to shove a piece of equipment in your glamor dresser; this makes you unable to wear it normally for its stats, but it means you can use its looks infinity times.

So if you have an 'all classes' piece of gear like a goofy mask, you only need to use one glamor prism and then you can use it in as many outfits as you want.

Some dyes are expensive but most of them are pretty cheap in terms of in-game currency and the expensive ones are like "Pure White" which is a very slightly different shade from "Snow White" and so on.

You can always be your inner frog.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I think the ff14 glamour system deserves a lot more credit when you remember its put together on the rotting remains of 1.0 which can still cause problems to this day, like not letting you use glamour plates and your glamour dresser if you are not in the city because of some code cludge relating to how cities store data differently giving them the space to do glamour plates.

The nice little thing is that they have two seperate places to put glamour stuff, one for anything at all, and another thats just for level 1 event stuff thats only purpose is to be a glamour and actually existed before the multipurpose glamour dresser. It does a lot to help you keep your inventory clean.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

You don’t have to give them anything but an email address to claim free games, and you can link your account to GOG Galaxy so you can use the Galaxy launcher instead of theirs. I was suspicious too but if all you want is the free stuff you don’t have to really give them any information or deal with them at all aside from going to the website and clicking to claim the game

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

You don’t have to give them anything but an email address to claim free games, and you can link your account to GOG Galaxy so you can use the Galaxy launcher instead of theirs. I was suspicious too but if all you want is the free stuff you don’t have to really give them any information or deal with them at all aside from going to the website and clicking to claim the game

Lol if you think goons won't complain about that

Waltzing Along posted:

It's asking me to sign up for their newsletter. ie: provide them with my info. It's not like a free game on epic where you just click it and its added to your account. Having to give them information makes it, to me, not free.

For actual content, it's mean but the face my ghost dog in Luigi's Mansion 3 makes when I flash him is adorable and I love it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Death Stranding little thing, though I don't know what it implies for the story itself:

Main character Sam carries around a photo to remind himself of his life before the titular death stranding occurred. In the corner reads "Be stranded with love", supposedly written by his mother according to an interview log.

By the end of the game (no spoilers), the writing has changed to say "Be stranded with love again".

Why? I dunno. When? I dunno. But it's neat, considering you barely ever get a look at the full photograph and even then not for more than a split second.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:20 on Aug 23, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

They made Leonidas scottish in AssCreed: Odyssey:allears: I also like that the Kassandra actually has visible muscles and scars.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Len posted:

For actual content, it's mean but the face my ghost dog in Luigi's Mansion 3 makes when I flash him is adorable and I love it

Inviting everyone to get in on the ground floor of my upcoming "Can you flash the dog?" twitter account

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Alhazred posted:

They made Leonidas scottish in AssCreed: Odyssey:allears: I also like that the Kassandra actually has visible muscles and scars.

I kinda wish that they had let Elias Toufexis use his natural speaking voice, because that would have fit as well. But it's pretty fun that they did a 300 and all the Spartans are LOUD and BOISTEROUS.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

bony tony posted:

I kinda wish that they had let Elias Toufexis use his natural speaking voice, because that would have fit as well. But it's pretty fun that they did a 300 and all the Spartans are LOUD and BOISTEROUS.

If they had done that too many people would have been like "Why is Adam Jensen in this game."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah fair enough

Another thing I like about Odyssey is the underwater segments. The various ruins and shipwrecks exist in a larger environment and you can swim around to your heart's content, as opposed to how it was in 4, where you sank down in a very specific area and couldn't explore too much. The underwater stealth combat with the sharks worked pretty well, too!

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Something that SHOULD be a little thing: let a second player control enemies. I'm not talking about designated modes like in Left 4 Dead. I'm saying in pretty much any game.

As far back as the nineties, I used to imagine how cool it would be if my buddy could control a goomba in Mario, an imp in Doom, or a random thug in Final Fight. I just assumed that was something the future would offer. Sure, the enemy player would die easily and often, but adding an unexpected variable to how that enemy acts would be really cool. And once the enemy was killed, they just take over a new enemy. Maybe you'd only get one hit in now and then, but I still think it'd add insane replay value. Most enemy movesets would be simple enough to learn and control.

Like, that should be From Software's next move. Instead of invading players, you fight human controlled regular enemies. You're in the Undead Berg or wherever and one of the enemies is controlled by a remote player. Have it glow, be worth more souls, drop better loot or whatever.

I'm having trouble thinking of almost any game that wouldn't be just a little more fun if I was able to jump in as an enemy and grief my buddies online.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wasn't that a mode in Perfect Dark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Oh yeah! Forgot about that one. Shame it didn't catch on.