Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nessus posted:

You would think they would notice, but I suppose you don't start taking weird immortality pellets if you aren't starting to fade or getting pretty old anyway.

Well obviously the last emperor died because his apothecary got the dosage wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Well obviously the last emperor died because his apothecary got the dosage wrong!

He has been executed I trust?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Jazerus posted:

perhaps related, the class of people who were former slaves, or whose parents had been slaves, or grandparents, etc. grew tremendously throughout the early empire and, by being the empire's preferred class for staffing the mid-levels of the bureaucracy, had a lot more influence than you might expect.

Wasn't it a recurring joke in Roman comedies that former slaves treated their slaves worst of everybody?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

How’s “Guns, Germs, and Steel” held up?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Epicurius posted:

Wasn't it a recurring joke in Roman comedies that former slaves treated their slaves worst of everybody?

I don't remember that (I am not a big ancient literature guy tbh), but it is a trope that the slave is the only character in the comedy who isn't just a complete loving moron. Usually gets one over on everybody by the end.

A lot of the laws restricting how you could mistreat slaves came into being around the Servile Wars for some reason. The increasing restrictions on manumission come after the empire isn't expanding anymore so they aren't getting huge numbers of new slaves all the time.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jazerus posted:

i feel like it's pretty clear from the escalating "things you can't do to your slave" laws passed over the course of centuries that there was an undercurrent of what we would today call abolitionist thought - the slaveholding class doesn't simply restrict themselves without a push from somewhere. i mean, some of it is quite practical stuff - "folks, we only have so many slaves so maybe don't murder them?" - but by the time slavery was on the decline throughout the empire, you really couldn't treat your slaves much worse than you could an average poor citizen.

perhaps related, the class of people who were former slaves, or whose parents had been slaves, or grandparents, etc. grew tremendously throughout the early empire and, by being the empire's preferred class for staffing the mid-levels of the bureaucracy, had a lot more influence than you might expect.

yeah iirc we have a couple of examples of people complaining that Claudius was relying on freemen to do important jobs and giving them too much power. always struck me as a shrewd move tbh - they're a group of people who have demonstrated competence and if the emperor is involved in freeing them - either directly or via legislation - you have to imagine extremely loyal.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Nessus posted:

I imagine the ancient Romans and other people might not have had a mental image of slavery in the same sense that we do, which would make criticism of it even if recorded and internally consistent, potentially hard to discern as some kind of abolitionism. You also probably had the issue that most of the people writing down organized thought that would be passed down would be rich :v: You're probably going to scrawl "NESSUS WAS HERE" rather than "In this wall writing I shall address the pernicious and immoral effects of slave-holding on the Roman economy (I/XXV)".

By the time of Caracalla they also don't see "citizen" in the same way as we do. He's occasionally mentioned as some brave liberator because he made every free man in the empire a citizen, but the only reason he did that was so that he could tax them.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't remember that (I am not a big ancient literature guy tbh), but it is a trope that the slave is the only character in the comedy who isn't just a complete loving moron. Usually gets one over on everybody by the end.

Right. It's a subversion. The slave, who you''d expect to be the least powerful person, really is the one in charge of the situation. It was also a warning....hey, you Romans, your slaves see and hear everything and may be smarter than you think.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Trimalchio has a sign on his door saying that slaves get 100 lashes if they leave the property without permission. But he’s also kind of chummy with his slaves and promises to manumit them all when he dies. I guess the latter is meant less to show that he’s actually a nice guy and more to suggest that he’s such a colossal egotist he doesn’t care what his wife will do for help once he’s dead, but the whole passage is interesting as a comic take on slavery-related social issues.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think Romans definitely had their own cultural stereotypes and jokes about old and new money, which former slaves made good would by definition probably be.

Came up earlier that educated slaves whose main job was being scribes and teachers were a pretty common thing, complete with slaves being bought and educated specifically for that purpose, wouldn't be surprising that they'd often do well when freed and would already be suited for jobs in government and bureaucracy as well as going into business. (And if on good terms with their former master, they'd probably have a good job reference)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My favourite type of slaves is the sort that were either literally or functionally the ruling class in their society. See: Janissaries and Mamluks.

Like imagine being technically someone's property but having a better quality of life than most people in that state and even having a direct hand in the day to day administration of that state.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Animal posted:

I think it's one of those things where the general gist has some validity but a lot of the details are either bullshit or a just-so story. A big example of this is Easter Island, which is taken often as a fable of inevitable collapse etc. etc. but really seems to have been more "they reached a pretty stable state after the ecological shift caused by initial settlement, and then the white man showed up and killed/enslaved/infected them."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've never actually read it since it gets widely panned in academia. I have seen summaries of the arguments, and yeah. It's not the wrongest book but it doesn't hold up to a lot of scrutiny. It has some broad core points, like European military technology/tactics were often superior to many of the other civilizations they encountered, but that's just sort of... obvious? If you know any history. I imagine it might be mindblowing if that's the first history book you read but if you're nerdy enough to be posting in this thread I don't think there's much in there to get.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The core point of Guns, Germs, and Steel is that Europeans were just lucky of being in the right place at the right time and had no inherent superiority over the people they conquered as a result of being in the right place.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's what I get for not reading it and relying on summaries, I guess. :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think there were like three takeaway theses:

1. European military technology was very good and was honed by the political division in Europe
2. That same political division motivated Europeans to go pull dumb poo poo which eventually lead to colonization
3. The east-west orientation of Eurasia made it relatively easy for crops and animals to spread while the Americas and Africa were more north-southy, which would cause environmental conditions to shift much faster.

1. is obvious and is reasonable, although also untested because, for instance, there were not many battles between conquistadors and Chinese infantry. 2. seems like a great simplification of a complex question, although it could lead you to think about things like "so why did Spain and Portugal end up going west and kicking rear end, and what kept the Chinese empire from doing the same?"

3. seems like it would be hard to actually demonstrate or test in any reasonable way, and could just as easily be explained as "it is relatively easy to travel around Eurasia, and significantly harder to penetrate deep into Africa or reach the Americas." Geographical determinism. But how much is historical accident?

FreudianSlippers posted:

The core point of Guns, Germs, and Steel is that Europeans were just lucky of being in the right place at the right time and had no inherent superiority over the people they conquered as a result of being in the right place.
Yeah that part was good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It wasn’t just Europe but yeah

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Animal posted:

Someone once described it as a anthropologist who decided they were a historian for the purposes of writing a novel.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Irregardles of the accuracy or whatever of GG and S it had a positive influence by making stupid thick headed western people take a larger perspective and question racist conclusions about the state of the world

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
"...Greece's rule over the western Mediterranean."
This should tell you everything you need to know about the credibility of the author.

Edit: oops, missed a page, that's in relation to Aristotle's racism quote from the last page.

Regarding G,G&S I thought it skirted too close too scientific racism when it claimed African animals were too ornery to be domesticated. To my teenaged self it felt like there was a between the lines 'there is an environmental reason for this and humans are animals too' which put me off considerably.

Weka fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 23, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nessus posted:

But how much is historical accident?

He very much emphasizes the historical accident part.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The core chain of reasoning for point 3) is something like:

1. Without agriculture, you don't get the population density or sedentary populations necessary for economic specialization, which results in more rapid technological advancement
2. Crops that grows well in the tropic don't grow well outside of the tropics, and vice versa--the topics of cancer and capricorn can be viewed as barriers to the spread of farm crops as solid as oceans (this isn't true for domesticated animals, however)
3. By random chance, the middle east had several ideal species for domestication, both plants and animals. Pretty much the entire world eventually domesticated some of their local species, but Eurasia got a head start due to luck of the draw and the boundaries of oceans and tropics.

Past "Eurasia got a head start on agriculture" I'm not sure how well any logic past that point holds up. While domesticated crops have trouble traveling north/south, other inventions have no such trouble.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Weka posted:

Regarding G,G&S I thought it skirted too close too scientific racism when it claimed African animals were too ornery to be domesticated. To my teenaged self it felt like there was a between the lines 'there is an environmental reason for this and humans are animals too' which put me off considerably.

I don't understand how you got that at all. The author iirc makes the opposite point illustrating how africans weren't uniquely dumb for not inventing zebra cavalry or turning wildebeest and buffalo into domesticated meat and dairy animals, because europeans tried the same (with prior knowledge it was possible and picking superficially similar animals) and failed miserably.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 23, 2020

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He very much emphasizes the historical accident part.

But is weirdly very pat, teleological, 'it could never have been otherwise' about it.

Just "these three or four environmental factors determined all of human history."

Which, you know, he's an ornithologist specializing in bird evolution on island. That's his hammer and he nailed everything he could.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Zebra can't really be domesticated on the same level as horses. Try to ride a zebra and it will murder you.

Maybe we might someday reach the point of zebra domestication but it will take a while since the zebra is so fundamentally different from the relatively easy to tame horse.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This is a good thing.

The slave like submission of the horse makes it at best a tragic and pitiful animal. If it had the decency of murdering it's riders instead of submitting to them it would be worthy of respect.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The distant ancestors of humans evolved in Africa, so the wildlife there had plenty of time to develop responses to sneaky human tricks. Something like that is the theory, right?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'd be surprised if that were true. Being useful to humans would presumably be artificially selected for, since the humans would be less likely to kill and eat you.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Bongo Bill posted:

The distant ancestors of humans evolved in Africa, so the wildlife there had plenty of time to develop responses to sneaky human tricks. Something like that is the theory, right?

It's not provable, but I would guess that it probably has more to do with all the lions, crocodiles, cheetahs, wild dogs, and hyenas that zebras have had to contend with. A few million years of that business would make me wary of predators too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PittTheElder posted:

I'd be surprised if that were true. Being useful to humans would presumably be artificially selected for, since the humans would be less likely to kill and eat you.

Africa's the only place where megafauna survived prehistoric humans though (unless you count my friends the american bison, which you prolly shouldn't).

Kaal posted:

It's not provable, but I would guess that it probably has more to do with all the lions, crocodiles, cheetahs, wild dogs, and hyenas that zebras have had to contend with. A few million years of that business would make me wary of predators too.

The rest of the world had apex predators before humans.

I don't know if the Diamond idea is true but I dunno that y'all are right either.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
It's been a while since I read GGS but I remember thinking that all the evidence he pulls together was super interesting in its own right, even if the thesis isn't totally convincing.

I also remember a chapter on the "why Europe not China?" question tacked on at the end that was basically just a big :shrug:.

I went to a talk by Jared Diamond once where he just told well-rehearsed stories about being in New Guinea decades ago.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Most of the animals we've domesticated seem to have had some kind of social structure habits we were able to hijack by putting a man-animal at the top of the chain, or else we just selected for docility over uncounted generations (I think this is the case for cows?)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Africa's the only place where megafauna survived prehistoric humans though (unless you count my friends the american bison, which you prolly shouldn't).

The rest of the world had apex predators before humans.

I don't know if the Diamond idea is true but I dunno that y'all are right either.

Um, aurochs and mammoths in Eurasia? The former were around until iirc 400 years ago and as was posted a bit up thread mammoths died out 4000 or so years ago.

Your point about apex predators is good though, Europe for instance had lions, hyenas and cave bears until fairly recently.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I usually hear it as old world megafauna surviving because they got to practice with pre-sapiens humans, whereas the first experience America and Australia had with walking apes was after we were extremely effective hunters already

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nessus posted:

Most of the animals we've domesticated seem to have had some kind of social structure habits we were able to hijack by putting a man-animal at the top of the chain, or else we just selected for docility over uncounted generations (I think this is the case for cows?)

yeah domesticating animals appears to have been hard as poo poo and a real luck of the draw sort of thing, and it’s not like anyone has done it in the past thousand years or more so it clearly isn’t easy to do with an arbitrary animal

some areas got the horse, some areas got the guinea pig

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Weka posted:

Um, aurochs and mammoths in Eurasia? The former were around until iirc 400 years ago and as was posted a bit up thread mammoths died out 4000 or so years ago.

Your point about apex predators is good though, Europe for instance had lions, hyenas and cave bears until fairly recently.

I'd put the aurochs with the bison and the mammoths as surviving specifically where prehistoric hunters weren't.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Nessus posted:

Yeah Diamond's thesis about species domestication is his strongest yet, and this only covers the "Germs" part of his title: domesticating animals exposes you to zoonitic diseases that periodically hop species and causes horrific pandemic waves that wipe out populations that haven't been previously exposed. But that's something you can bounce back from: the problem is if it's succeeded by a wave of heavily armed migrants and colonizers moving into the suddenly freed up fertile farmland. This is explored a bit better in Mann's 1491.

Diamond's other thesis, about the north-south vs east-west axes of the Americas and Eurasia, on the other hand, I find extremely poor evidence. There is plenty of longitudinal variation in America, plenty of lattitudinal variation in Eurasia and Africa, and plenty of exchange of ideas and tools and domesticated foods across both continents. His thesis really only holds to explain how Europe colonized the Americas, but alone can't explain how it also colonized Africa and the Middle East and South/East Asia.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those colonizations are a bit different

Like Indonesia doesn’t have a huge Dutch population and there isn’t tons of English people in Iraq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wouldn't the answer to why Europe not Asia be luck? Didn't Columbus have to beg to get funding? Wasn't it thought of as a pointless fruitless expedition until oops he found America and oh

His motivation was to find a way to India, wasn't it? It's not like anyone in Asia had as much trouble getting there as Europeans did? And then from there you just go hog wild

What motivation would an Asian civilisation have to try circumnavigate the globe

Miss Broccoli fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 23, 2020