Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1297229828664352768

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Spoondick posted:

the remnants of hurricane genevieve are moving into california over the next couple days and are expected to create dry lightning and gusty winds

lmao

wow storm coming :woop:

oops no rain :smugdon:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1297233486462451721

lol california's hosed

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

so, uh, how are those levees looking this year? New Orleans might need them

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

All of our inmate firefighters have covid and we can't rehire the ones with experience from their time in jail cause they're felons :ca:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
loving chuds I know have been talking about how the fires we've been having the last few years are purely because the drat tree-hugging Democrats don't allow logging in the forests!! Of course, they are all silent now because most of the poo poo that is on fire are rolling grasslands and the occasional live oak tree :ca:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Letting the fires burn uncontrolled now is just smart, less to burn later.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

dew worm posted:

the three hurricanes will actually douse and extinguish the wild fires

if we combine the right extreme weather events theyll cancel out and everything will be fine. many such cases!

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

most of californias forests are either private property that get logged or national forests which pretty much don't because they're national forests or critical headwaters and huge swaths of it don't have economically viable timber worth logging because of terrain, but those damned environmentalists are at fault for every fire for preventing the whole state from getting clearcut

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i read something maybe last year about climate change models showing pretty much all of californias forests getting burnt down over the next 50 years because of elevated heat and droughts

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Spoondick posted:

most of californias forests are either private property that get logged or national forests which pretty much don't because they're national forests or critical headwaters and huge swaths of it don't have economically viable timber worth logging because of terrain, but those damned environmentalists are at fault for every fire for preventing the whole state from getting clearcut

The lovely part is that the oak savannas are supposed to occasionally catch on fire as it's a critical part of the life cycle for oak trees, so much so that the Maidu had used controlled burns for all of their history. But a lot of people live here now and you can't just say sorry, your house needs to burn down, this is what nature needs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Like what would they prefer, prairie fires that move faster than a car but still lay waste to everything in its path?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nikosoft posted:

The lovely part is that the oak savannas are supposed to occasionally catch on fire as it's a critical part of the life cycle for oak trees, so much so that the Maidu had used controlled burns for all of their history. But a lot of people live here now and you can't just say sorry, your house needs to burn down, this is what nature needs.

when the houses burn it poisons the land so the oak trees dont come back its win win

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

Letting the fires burn uncontrolled now is just smart, less to burn later.

the remaining neighborhoods will achieve herd immunity

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Real hurthling! posted:

when the houses burn it poisons the land so the oak trees dont come back its win win

it's cool though a couple dudes with a skidloader will clean it all up and the company that fraudulently claimed hunter's point was cleaned up will sign off on it

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Hey guys remember Australia's wildfires early this year and everyone was like wow California is in for a rough season.

Lol.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Orders in New Orleans are to prepare for shelter in place. They expect to have all the pumps working by Sunday (98 out of 99 operational right now). They're confident Laura will not get above Cat 1. I don't much like the mayor, but she's a good leader in a crisis so I'm just gonna keep an eye on official reports.

Glad to hear Puerto Rico got spared!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
George Carlin's "I Kinda Like it When a Lot of People Die" bit is sounding eerily like 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GKVFGYcCy0

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Aug 22, 2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm doing my part!

https://twitter.com/SchwartzTV/status/1296813126868901892

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

https://twitter.com/CAL_FIRE/status/1297258054136651776?s=19

is it normal to have largest-ever fires every year?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

no, he just found out nike supports blm

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Spoondick posted:

https://twitter.com/CAL_FIRE/status/1297258054136651776?s=19

is it normal to have largest-ever fires every year?

it is normal for numbers to go up from year to year, that is the promise of capitalism

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Don't cross the streams

https://twitter.com/alanauglis/status/1297276626397540353

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol nola's gonna have swordfighting hurricanes

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol nola's gonna have swordfighting hurricanes

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

doublecane - double your pleasure

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao what the gently caress

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
God says gently caress that state in particular

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Weathergeddon 2020: Colliding Cones

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkPichBlt8

Before it hit:

10 minutes in:

Near the end of the storm:

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Aug 22, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

can you privatize schools twice?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Thoguh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkPichBlt8

Before it hit:

10 minutes in:

Near the end of the storm:

gently caress. Crazy to think that there's little warning. At least you usually know a hurricane is coming days in advance

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Derechos are usually warned pretty well in advance seeing as they last hours and cover significant distances.

I told my folks in Chicago poo poo was going down like five hours before it got there lol

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

"gently caress this one place in particular" - God

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

drat

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Thesaurus posted:

gently caress. Crazy to think that there's little warning. At least you usually know a hurricane is coming days in advance

So a few weeks ago I had an ol buddy in town spending the night and we were all hosed up when ny gf was like hey my nom just sent an email my distant uncle died in a storm. And then I forgot about it. Now I was just watching these and my gf looks over and is like oh that must be the storm my uncle died in!My gfs uncle was one of the deaths in Iowa. Apparently he was out on a bike ride when that rolled through.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zeno-25 posted:

Derechos are usually warned pretty well in advance seeing as they last hours and cover significant distances.

I told my folks in Chicago poo poo was going down like five hours before it got there lol

Congrats on being an absolute fuckhead.. We had about ten minutes of warning and by the time it got to Chicago it was just a storm so I dunno what the gently caress you are bragging about, though parts of western Illinois got hit hard.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Wow, the people who were hundreds of miles away from where the storm hit had a lot of warning that they might get the remnants of the storm, says an absolute rear end in a top hat.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
apparently the new Flight Simulator is registering the California wildfires as statewide fog, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Sure, entire sections of a state were wiped off the map, but once that happened I was able to warn my parents that a few hours later they might get some rain and then post smugly about it on the internet.