Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah its like one game was made by vet fps devs with funding from one of the largest publishers in the world and the other is prime indie jank. tarkov has a leg up on titanfall 2 in the "being a good game" department thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

animist posted:

picked up Titanfall 2 and have been playing that along w tarkov and the performance differences are night and day

that game can load bigger maps with higher LOD than tarkov in like 5 seconds lol

Tit and fall doesn't track and verify the locations of hundreds of items.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

EFT while a good game has some awfully glaring gaps and weird tarkov-isms. If anything, I think the developers should focus on getting the engine upgrade then focus on quality of life - cheaters, bugs, crashes, audio engine improvements and performance. Getting people to be able to play the game is the first step and right now it's tough.

https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1295104206311960578

This game is just wild...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdSpM6b2kt0

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

theyre doing the classic small dev suddenly gets money move of going wild with new maps instead of fixing the engine and it owns

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What’s an acceptable ping and min FPS to play this game comfortably?

I’m thinking no less than 60 FPS and no more than 90 ms.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Stux posted:

theyre doing the classic small dev suddenly gets money move of going wild with new maps instead of fixing the engine and it owns

I don't believe the teams who work on maps have anything to do with the team who works on the engine, and they are in fact working on the engine and have another engine upgrade scheduled

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Umbreon posted:

I don't believe the teams who work on maps have anything to do with the team who works on the engine, and they are in fact working on the engine and have another engine upgrade scheduled

no but its usually where the extra money goes which is why pubg has a bunch of maps everyone hates and the game still runs like garbage

sokatoah
Oct 6, 2005

Oh gods, how do we find the hypotenuse?

Stux posted:

the best low gear option continues to be the pp-19 and shooting legs and faces

okay wow.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Neon Belly posted:

Anyone see a pretty drastic increase to load times and stuttering with the latest patch? Game went to nearly unplayable for me.

Yup, it went from "only Reserve has stutters and late load times" to now almost every map, especially the new Customs. I nearly 100% load last into raid and exiting raids takes like triple the time now.

But yeah it's obv the devs saw a big surge of money from the latest influx from streamers, and in typical cynical fashion they're obviously focusing on content to milk this as far as they can until they can just "release" the game and move on to whatever sequel they were planning.

The people on the subreddit who actually believe the devs promises of open world, completely different "main storyline quests" and whatever other pie in the sky fairy tales is sad.

I mean honestly, the fact that the last content release was to add mods to the 1911 and introduce the Mossberg shotgun just speaks to their odd prioritization. Like who the hell cares about running a pump shotgun? Or those dumb obscure guns like the Rhino revolver and that SMG. Why? Who's advocating for this?

Don't get me wrong, I get it, the game has already done a good job of cataloguing the main weapon platforms out there so it's inevitable that more niche stuff would come out, but I figured the niche stuff would be unique or interesting in some way like the PPSH release (which is actually a legitimate high ROF SMG to use). Like why not bring in some major platforms not yet in the game like the Steyr Aug, or more interesting scav type guns like some sort of Pakistan gun market style zip gun or whatever?

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

Oysters Autobio posted:

Yup, it went from "only Reserve has stutters and late load times" to now almost every map, especially the new Customs. I nearly 100% load last into raid and exiting raids takes like triple the time now.

But yeah it's obv the devs saw a big surge of money from the latest influx from streamers, and in typical cynical fashion they're obviously focusing on content to milk this as far as they can until they can just "release" the game and move on to whatever sequel they were planning.

The people on the subreddit who actually believe the devs promises of open world, completely different "main storyline quests" and whatever other pie in the sky fairy tales is sad.

I mean honestly, the fact that the last content release was to add mods to the 1911 and introduce the Mossberg shotgun just speaks to their odd prioritization. Like who the hell cares about running a pump shotgun? Or those dumb obscure guns like the Rhino revolver and that SMG. Why? Who's advocating for this?

Don't get me wrong, I get it, the game has already done a good job of cataloguing the main weapon platforms out there so it's inevitable that more niche stuff would come out, but I figured the niche stuff would be unique or interesting in some way like the PPSH release (which is actually a legitimate high ROF SMG to use). Like why not bring in some major platforms not yet in the game like the Steyr Aug, or more interesting scav type guns like some sort of Pakistan gun market style zip gun or whatever?

I'm actually the type of person who's super hyped that they added in the 590A1. It's a ton of fun to use

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Just give me a vector pls

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Oysters Autobio posted:

i think the devs want to do all that stuff and think they can but if they will or not is another story.

also id much rather have weird stuff like that than more rifles or whatever.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I think I need to play around with the Mossberg more. Since you can make magnum buckshot at such a low level it seems like the bar is pretty low to having a great gun to just buy and go with.

I have actually never used the magnum buckshot, is it the best of the pellet kind of shells or are slugs generally better?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Mesadoram posted:

I think I need to play around with the Mossberg more. Since you can make magnum buckshot at such a low level it seems like the bar is pretty low to having a great gun to just buy and go with.

I have actually never used the magnum buckshot, is it the best of the pellet kind of shells or are slugs generally better?

Run magnum to limb/head people. AP shells to actually penetrate armor.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

has anyone ever had a raid just....not save?

I completed the stupid "stash a sniper rifle" quest for Peacekeeper, and when I exited....it was like nothing had happened.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Famethrowa posted:

I completed the stupid "stash a sniper rifle" quest for Peacekeeper, and when I exited....it was like nothing had happened.

That's interesting. I wouldn't discount this game inventing new ways to be buggy and gently caress you over. I assume the quest didn't count as finished either?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ChesterJT posted:

That's interesting. I wouldn't discount this game inventing new ways to be buggy and gently caress you over. I assume the quest didn't count as finished either?

yep. I'm super salty about it too, because the two attempts I've tried since have gotten me killed.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly posted:

Anyone see a pretty drastic increase to load times and stuttering with the latest patch? Game went to nearly unplayable for me.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Admittedly this is through one SCAV run so far, but the latest NVIDIA drivers have me cruising around 100fps, which is better than what I was getting before the fateful patch.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Oysters Autobio posted:

I'm happy they're just throwing in all sorts of guns even with absurd attachments. I don't know why the devs can't just make up their drat minds but revolvers are just cool and the vector is just a really weird cool gun.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Shotguns

I feel like shotguns are great but now that we're this far into the game without a wipe they're just useless? Having everyone running around with level 3/4 armor makes them do nothing. AP-20 just turns them into a kinda power but mostly inaccurate rifle.

I hope they add the "hit" mechanics from other games where when you are hit it's almost like a mini-stun or slow down with reduced stamina.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gabriel S. posted:

Shotguns

I feel like shotguns are great but now that we're this far into the game without a wipe they're just useless? Having everyone running around with level 3/4 armor makes them do nothing. AP-20 just turns them into a kinda power but mostly inaccurate rifle.

I hope they add the "hit" mechanics from other games where when you are hit it's almost like a mini-stun or slow down with reduced stamina.

legs

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Gabriel S. posted:

Shotguns

AP-20 ignores armor all the way up to class 3 and semi-reliably pierces class 4. A majority of the PMCs I encounter aren't wearing anything higher than that for helmets(and at night they're going to be wearing NVGs anyway so facetaps still work), so headshots with AP20 remain one taps most of the time. Flechette shells shred armor extremely fast, even class 5 and 6.

If all else fails, Magnum buckshot to the legs kills anyone no matter who they are or what they're wearing.

sokatoah
Oct 6, 2005

Oh gods, how do we find the hypotenuse?
I came across a corpse that had not been looted. Dogtags intact, kitted out M4, TV-110 plate carrier with all the trimmings. I start looting like the disgusting rat I am. I take his razor headset and, oh no! Footsteps! coming!

off I scurry. Footsteps, arriving!

The man who killed the corpse who had not been looted arrives. I shoot him in the legs a lot with my pp-19-01. Legs hate getting shot.

Now I have two TV-110s, a Trizip, an Attack backpack, an ulach, a kitted out M4, a kitted out SVDS, a heap of mags, two headsets, plenty of grenades... and one working leg, one working arm, and no stomach. I'm in the construction site on interchange and my only exit is emercom.

Buh-bow. Server shutting down in three minutes. Major update coming.

I hide in the pond and wait for the game to end. "Survived".

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Umbreon posted:

AP-20 ignores armor all the way up to class 3 and semi-reliably pierces class 4. A majority of the PMCs I encounter aren't wearing anything higher than that for helmets(and at night they're going to be wearing NVGs anyway so facetaps still work), so headshots with AP20 remain one taps most of the time.

I always find this advice hilarious, and it comes up so often. Just headshot them, it's easy.

But that's not what makes a gun good or viable. If you can headshot people every time, you never need a gun better than a Makarov, there's 9x18 that will piece face shields consistently.

It's almost like headshotting isn't easy or consistent, and is in fact so difficult that some people in this game (and others) resort to external software to do it more reliably.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014

aniviron posted:

I always find this advice hilarious, and it comes up so often. Just headshot them, it's easy.

But that's not what makes a gun good or viable. If you can headshot people every time, you never need a gun better than a Makarov, there's 9x18 that will piece face shields consistently.

It's almost like headshotting isn't easy or consistent, and is in fact so difficult that some people in this game (and others) resort to external software to do it more reliably.

All of the options mentioned are perfectly viable without needing to aim for the head though. And with buckshot it’s not even entirely unrealistic to aim around the head/upper torso and land a headshot with the pellet spread. (Though for magnum buck, you’re better off aiming for the legs anyway)

And I think it’s still worth noting which things actually are viable for going for headshots vs legs or shredding armor. Sure you can use the highest AP ammo in a lovely pistol, but other options are much better or at least more forgiving if you’re mostly aiming for headshots.

I do agree that the various “tips” to just aim for the head for things to be viable are pretty useless though.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Famethrowa posted:

You sure it was fully completed? This happened to me with the stash 3 gold chains in the microwave quest where I went and started the stash timer, and because I didnt know if it was 3 seperate stash timers or one, afterwards I tried to activate it again and I just couldn't bring up the stash dialog option so I thought okay, must be just one timer. Extracted and saw that I only had 1/3 done for the quest.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

aniviron posted:

Sounds like you're ready for Magnum buckshot, friend. Do give it a try, it's actually pretty fun.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Oysters Autobio posted:

You sure it was fully completed? This happened to me with the stash 3 gold chains in the microwave quest where I went and started the stash timer, and because I didnt know if it was 3 seperate stash timers or one, afterwards I tried to activate it again and I just couldn't bring up the stash dialog option so I thought okay, must be just one timer. Extracted and saw that I only had 1/3 done for the quest.

Thanks to the discord crew for not ratting me out, but the crucial detail of "insurance screen never came up" revealed that I had somehow toggled offline mode.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 18, 2020

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

With any of the stash quests, you have to move your cursor away from the stash completely and get back in, or look at another item. It’s a bit of a pain for sure.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Double tapping Tab is a quick way to reset the “place” tooltip for those quests as well.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sokatoah posted:

I came across a corpse that had not been looted. Dogtags intact, kitted out M4, TV-110 plate carrier with all the trimmings. I start looting like the disgusting rat I am. I take his razor headset and, oh no! Footsteps! coming!

off I scurry. Footsteps, arriving!

The man who killed the corpse who had not been looted arrives. I shoot him in the legs a lot with my pp-19-01. Legs hate getting shot.

Now I have two TV-110s, a Trizip, an Attack backpack, an ulach, a kitted out M4, a kitted out SVDS, a heap of mags, two headsets, plenty of grenades... and one working leg, one working arm, and no stomach. I'm in the construction site on interchange and my only exit is emercom.

Buh-bow. Server shutting down in three minutes. Major update coming.

I hide in the pond and wait for the game to end. "Survived".

im v glad the pp 19 is working for you, its such a fun gun! inexplicably effective for being so cheap

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Stux posted:

im v glad the pp 19 is working for you, its such a fun gun! inexplicably effective for being so cheap

And with that wooden handgrip, it has styyyylllleeeeee.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Is there some sort of binding option that can be used to better keybind sprinting?

I currently have Sprint keybinded to LShift, using Press for option. I like that as I'm pressing W I can quickly press Shift and let go and then continue sprinting without needing to hold it down.

Problem with this, is if in a panic I'm trying to sprint somewhere, if I press LShift even a millisecond before the W key, it will not sprint, the combo has to be W and then Lshift, otherwise nothing happens. So to then sprint, I have to let go of LShift and press it again while holding 'W'.

I don't want to use Continuous because then I have to hold it down. Is there anyway to set it up so that even if I press LShift before 'W' that I still sprint? Can I set it up to have LShift as the main keybind, and 'LShift + W' as an alternative or will that screw something up?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Oysters Autobio posted:

Is there some sort of binding option that can be used to better keybind sprinting?

I currently have Sprint keybinded to LShift, using Press for option. I like that as I'm pressing W I can quickly press Shift and let go and then continue sprinting without needing to hold it down.

Problem with this, is if in a panic I'm trying to sprint somewhere, if I press LShift even a millisecond before the W key, it will not sprint, the combo has to be W and then Lshift, otherwise nothing happens. So to then sprint, I have to let go of LShift and press it again while holding 'W'.

I don't want to use Continuous because then I have to hold it down. Is there anyway to set it up so that even if I press LShift before 'W' that I still sprint? Can I set it up to have LShift as the main keybind, and 'LShift + W' as an alternative or will that screw something up?

No offence meant, but toggle sprint sounds wretched.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

toggle sprint owns

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009
Had my first good raid. Spawned on interchange with some random gear id found as a scav. Had a ppsh with 1 spare mag, a flashbang, and some level 2 helmet and armour. Think the helmet is a riot helm, but it looks like an old motorbike helmet. Spawned directly across from the front of IDEA but really far back. Theres like some defilade and lots of large rocks and trees for cover. Start moving towards IDEA and see 2 players to my left, a good 100m or so away. Bit ahead of me. I duck behind a big rock, try to hide so they continue, doubt theyve seen me. I peek, see nothing for a bit but eventually see them moving towards me. Hide back behind my rock again. Wait a bit. Peek. Theyve closed to about 15m, one has some armour and a helmet, the other looks unarmoured. I fire some bursts at the armoured guy, who is also peeking (and firing at me with something) from another large rock. The second guy starts shooting with something semi auto and a lot louder, hes in the open though, so I chuck that flashbang I brought over my big rock. Peek out the right side so im covered from his pal and hes facing in the totally wrong direction, clearly blind so I zap him. By this point my first mag is empty, Ive perhaps killed the second guy when he was peeking round the rock as my shots seemed good so I charge right at his cover, keeping it between me and him. Push round his cover and hes still up but at 2 metres away a ppsh is perfect. My first ever 2 on 1 kill. Theyre both about level 12ish. The armoured dude had a kedr and the rifle was an sks and he brought 60 rounds of 7.62 BT. It was about 1 min 20 into the raid, and I managed to get into IDEA, grabbed loads of random crap, all the way through to OLI and even got exactly what I was after, fuel for my generator so I can craft salewas for therapists first task. Came across a scav in customs that dropped to the ground the second I came round a corner. I hipfired 2 or 3 rounds from an sks at him, at a prone target, perhaps 15 metres away as I backed round the corner to repeek. Peeked it and he was clearly dead. Managed to headshot him. Survived the raid with a pack full of hardware and the xp got me up to level 5 and it felt perfect. Ive not played FPSs in years so Im so bad but the feeling was incredible.

Took that kedr and went into customs and died within 1 minute. Ah well

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
I'm so scared to start learning new maps. I know I can do it via Scav runs but it's so daunting to learn all the spawns, extracts, hot zones.

I've really only been doing customs, factory, and a tiny bit of woods to get Jaeger unlocked.

What do people recommend to try next?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Rycalawre posted:

went into customs and died within 1 minute. Ah well

This has been my experience in the week or so I've been playing, almost exclusively.

Enter map, spend 5 minutes figuring out where the hell I am on the map, start moving someplace I think I want to go (I don't really know, ever, where I want to go), get drilled in the head.

A few minutes ago I did almost 300 damage with a shotgun and still didn't drop a single person.

But it's oddly fun.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

empathe posted:

I'm so scared to start learning new maps. I know I can do it via Scav runs but it's so daunting to learn all the spawns, extracts, hot zones.

I've really only been doing customs, factory, and a tiny bit of woods to get Jaeger unlocked.

shoreline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

empathe posted:

Interchange or Shoreline stash runs