Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

So...now that Flight Simulator 2020 is released, does everybody still think that a full sized Earth is impossible in SC? posted:

I have stated before that I think CIG should make a serious effort to make Earth full 1:1 when they get around to it. I say this because, well...it's Earth. It doesn't have to be exactly like Earth is now with every building and structure in place. SC takes place 900 years in the future so it's to be expected that things would change. CIG could even set up Earth to only have a few major cities as landing zones and the rest of the world be barren or overrun by trees and vegetation using whatever lore excuse they want.

The point is, Microsoft has proven that it's possible and they have added features and detail that CIG wouldn't even have to do. I was told time and time again that this is simply impossible to do and yet, CIG has already done many things they themselves claimed was impossible.

quote:

Here's the difference:

FS2020 looks fantastic at 10,000 feet. I'm sure it looks like total rear end at 10 feet in even the handcrafted areas. But that's because unless you land (or crash) you won't be spending much time looking at any single piece of FS2020's ground close-up for long. (Edit: Or you specifically pull out drone cam while paused, I forgot that's a thing. I don't own FS2020)

Star Citizen's planets are built to be walked on. When you actually compare both games on SC's terms, FS's terrain graphical solution is flat out inadequate except, as FS intended, at 2,000 feet and up. SC doesn't need a 1:1 planet to do something distinct and superior to FS2020 - it's already ahead on that front because its planets are made to be walked on.

If you want a pure flight sim, buy FS2020 because it has great graphics for what it needs. SC doing something different and is an entire fictional universe, not a fairly-realistic recreation of one planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every time I am reminded that the penguin's name is Pico, I snicker a bit about Citizens who think it's their Pico. Like... Boku no Pico.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
#notallfoxes

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FrighteningDecentAmericanwigeon-mobile.mp4

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Mirificus posted:

quote:

Here's the difference:

FS2020 looks fantastic at 10,000 feet. I'm sure it looks like total rear end at 10 feet in even the handcrafted areas. But that's because unless you land (or crash) you won't be spending much time looking at any single piece of FS2020's ground close-up for long. (Edit: Or you specifically pull out drone cam while paused, I forgot that's a thing. I don't own FS2020)

Star Citizen's planets are built to be walked on. When you actually compare both games on SC's terms, FS's terrain graphical solution is flat out inadequate except, as FS intended, at 2,000 feet and up. SC doesn't need a 1:1 planet to do something distinct and superior to FS2020 - it's already ahead on that front because its planets are made to be walked on.

If you want a pure flight sim, buy FS2020 because it has great graphics for what it needs. SC doing something different and is an entire fictional universe, not a fairly-realistic recreation of one planet.

It actually doesn't look that bad at street level, really. I mean, it's not designed for players to be walking around but it looks pretty good.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outside of Rogue Galaxy what other games or developers have thrown shade at CIG?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Outside of Rogue Galaxy what other games or developers have thrown shade at CIG?

The guy who made Battlecruiser, Dvorak Smurf or something.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

It's the AI NPC's that will make this game and change it beyond all recognition from what it is now. Right now few even contemplate the notion that there will be big social events in the game - but there will.

The in-game universe has it's own events calendar, and the universe goes on even if there are no players there to see it, the Murray Cup Racing season will happen even if there are no players around. This is what those outside can't wrap their heads around, they can only think in terms of other games they have played.. nothing like this has ever been tried before.

The way it is now you log in to grind or sight-see, or goof around. In the future you will log in to see what the hell is going on today! ..and where! Local holidays, Empire holidays, local festivals, local elections, sporting events, seasonal events (holidaying etc). More opportunities for shopping than you can shake a stick at. It will be a case of "Make sure I get next Thursday off! It's Fashion Week on Terra II! I have to get my rear end to Prime!" or "It's surfing week on Tangaroa! ...and then I have to go to the Intergalactic Aerospace Expo!"

All of this doesn't even include player run events, and Sean Tracy in particular is very keen to give the players the tools to organise their own events.

Star Citizen may well affect the global economy because of all the players pulling sick days. It happens with GTA etc. I will happen in Star Citizen because no other game has such organised spectacle. They can invite anyone into this living breathing universe, not just professional opera singers - where all you have to do is turn up. Right now they are still building tools and long term assets - because it's huge. Once they are done with those the 'content' will come thick and fast.

They have been planning something to happen in the Stanton system for about a year now they hinted at it at CitizenCon last year, if all goes to plan it will come toward the end of this year. It's just a small taste of what is to come in the future but it will knock peoples socks off. If you thought Fleet Week was big, hold on to your hats. It used to be that they put things into the PU more or less randomly but that stopped last year, now everything has a plan... this why the gas giant Crusader isn't such a big priority... but Pyro is.

I'm not joking. This is what they are planning, this living breathing universe is going to be the most amazing place you ever been.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Take a side trip into discrete probabilities and have your brain melt on elliptic curve. Just learning about modern cryptography convinces me I should stay away from it.

1 1 2 3 4 5 4
2 1 2 3 4 5 4
3 1 2 3 4 5 4
4 1 2 3 4 5 4
5 1 2 3 4 5 4

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.
I have cancer. The fact that I'm betting that I'll die before this game comes out says a lot...and that's with a prognosis of 5 years.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Goat simulator I do believe

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

It used to be that those who - for whatever psychotic reasons - took a dislike to the project just yapped from the sidelines. They figured out that no-one cared (and we didn't) because the project just kept growing with more and more people started jumping on board despite their efforts to supply 'dirt' to the gutter press about Cloud Imperium staff. You see the usual FUD spreading arguments just didn't make sense anymore. We didn't run out of money, no-one skipped off to the Bahamas... content was being added regularly, if slowly at times.

So they changed tactics, they decided make an account and get irritating in the RSI forums.. with some success, but that wasn't enough - in the game we saw them mostly at free fly events, so hell, $45 to get into the game and make any new players suffer and give up - is worth it maybe? Some really are that teeth-grindingly hating on Chris Roberts.

They may well be micro-penis dingus', but they also may be deranged psychotics with an axe to grind - who knows? They seem to be losing big time either way. Year on year the funding has increased to record levels... I think it pisses them off. Each patch will make it harder and harder for them to have any effect, what a shame.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
What would Earth be like if it was Star Citizen scale?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I can do nothing but marvel at the sunk cost galaxy as more and more money is burnt to appease the voodoo edifice that is Crobberts

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Random New Banu Vocabulary

Banu Mining Vocabulary

Banu Cuisine Vocabulary

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Someone just gifted me the audio book "Battlefield Earth". I had no idea what this is, and then red who the author is.

Is this a red flag? I'm seriously dumbfounded what to do with it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
First comment: How do the Banu say "Where is my Merchantman?"

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dwesa posted:

First comment: How do the Banu say "Where is my Merchantman?"

Lol, someone should PM them the Banu Merchantman-girl picture, that’s all the ship they need.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dooguk posted:

What would Earth be like if it was Star Citizen scale?

Cramped unless we all no clip real fast

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Every time I am reminded that the penguin's name is Pico, I snicker a bit about Citizens who think it's their Pico. Like... Boku no Pico.

Disgusting. No wonder FuzzyModem liked this game

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Fargin Icehole posted:

Disgusting. No wonder FuzzyModem liked this game

:drat:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

- A type of grain-based cooking wine used in Banu cuisine not unlike a rice wine or sakè.
- A grain species of plant comparable to rice.
- A strong, peppery spice used
- A sweet and pungent vegetable that can be juiced and used in cooking. Similar in character to ginger (but fleshy and not fibrous).

You silly geese, it's the space turtles the ones that should cook the space Chinese food, not the space jews.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Cooking is a fantasy to most citizens, it requires a different tongue you see, unspeakable to most, you cretin, you buffoon

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

trucutru posted:

You silly geese, it's the space turtles the ones that should cook the space Chinese food, not the space jews.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/177659/thread/random-new-banu-vocabulary-1/

ndrumi zó - idiom./v.T2 - to not come out (Lit.: “to be promised but never be delivered”) .ino, tau ye tau. .ndrumi fulæ zó ¡ksæ!. “Don't be loving stupid Broseph. This game's never coming out!”

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Fakes languages for a fake game, put down your money and forget your paaaiiiinnnn

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ffycchi posted:

I have cancer. The fact that I'm betting that I'll die before this game comes out says a lot...and that's with a prognosis of 5 years.

Sorry you got dealt a lovely hand. It’s one thing to joke around and say people will die before this loving thing gets finished, probably less amusing if you happen to be one of them.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

tuo posted:

Someone just gifted me the audio book "Battlefield Earth". I had no idea what this is, and then red who the author is.

Just watch the film, it gives you all you need.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat posted:

Goat simulator I do believe

Yeah. Specifically, the Waste of Space DLC for Goat Simulator makes fun of Star Citizen and crowdfunding (and other things). You also get to fly a space fighter where you control the goat legs that pilot the ship. Very fidelitious, really

Ffycchi posted:

Sorry to hear that. :(
I hope you get many more years than that, fellow goon.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Stellaris can generate a system called Stimsis.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Ffycchi posted:

That really sucks. I hope you can battle it out and win.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

The extremely rare Long Tailed Red Corgi!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

tuo posted:

Yes, you absolutely should. It's :catdrugs: fun, like an amped up heinlein.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Has Star Citizen cleared the super low hurdle of having one single alien in game? Obviously not. But like why "obviously not", why is CIG so obviously inept that Space Turtle Bartender after hundreds of millions of dollars and almost a decade of work is a bridge too far? Obviously the answer is Chris Roberts.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

downout posted:

Yes, you absolutely should. It's :catdrugs: fun, like an amped up heinlein.

Yeah I read battlefield earth back in 2000 and I actually didn’t hate it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

kilus aof posted:

Has Star Citizen cleared the super low hurdle of having one single alien in game? Obviously not. But like why "obviously not", why is CIG so obviously inept that Space Turtle Bartender after hundreds of millions of dollars and almost a decade of work is a bridge too far? Obviously the answer is Chris Roberts.

its ALPHA duh

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tuo posted:

Welcome to the foundational text of Scientology, have fun :catdrugs:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

tuo posted:

The movie is amazing(ly bad).

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
MARK loving MCGWIRE

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

UnknownTarget posted:

The movie is amazing(ly bad).

Yeah and it’s like not even bad in a good way. It’s just... bad.

https://youtu.be/DKZYFn8qEQI

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah and it’s like not even bad in a good way. It’s just... bad.

https://youtu.be/DKZYFn8qEQI

I haven't watched it in a long time but I'll admit it's a guilty pleasure, like watching Wing Commander (no joke).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tuo posted:

It’s ten books of terrible sci-fi that only get published because of the church of scientology, but it’s harmless enough until you get to the Dianetics.

Mind you, Dianetics is a rip-roarer if you’re particularly confident about life, and you can see the crossovers with Gene Roddenberry, a contemporary of Elron.

Go with it, the worst that happens is you waste a couple of hours.