Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Thank's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Have you not signed up for the goon MtG Discord? https://discord.gg/x6Yabq

Can I get an invite to this? That one expired

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Valicious posted:

Can I get an invite to this? That one expired

https://discord.gg/SmcFjP

Come post up with us!

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Invite expired
Why you taunt me like this?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Valicious posted:

Invite expired
Why you taunt me like this?

Because it took you two days and the link was temporary. I made a permanent one.

https://discord.gg/zg6fDFU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Star Man posted:

Because it took you two days and the link was temporary. I made a permanent one.

https://discord.gg/zg6fDFU

Clicked, thanks

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Whoops, I didn't realize Discord links expired quite so fast. Sorry Val

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'm feeling lazy, but also wanna price check some of my MTG:A decks to build in person. Does anyone know if theres a website that lets me copy the deck Export feature of arena into an online store?

I could do it by hand, but theres like 3 decks I want to check and not have to search a ton of individual card names.

edit: this may have been the wrong magic thread, there are so many.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 19, 2020

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I'm feeling lazy, but also wanna price check some of my MTG:A decks to build in person. Does anyone know if theres a website that lets me copy the deck Export feature of arena into an online store?

I could do it by hand, but theres like 3 decks I want to check and not have to search a ton of individual card names.

edit: this may have been the wrong magic thread, there are so many.

This thread is more for the eternal formats like modern/legacy/vintage and I forgot it existed until right now, nobody uses it anymore.

That said, if you can export the decklist from arena in a text file of some kind, you can upload the list to mtggoldfish and get a good general price of what it will cost, based on market prices. Price hunting will probably save you a few dollars from there.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Fingers McLongDong posted:

This thread is more for the eternal formats like modern/legacy/vintage and I forgot it existed until right now, nobody uses it anymore.

That said, if you can export the decklist from arena in a text file of some kind, you can upload the list to mtggoldfish and get a good general price of what it will cost, based on market prices. Price hunting will probably save you a few dollars from there.

That's pretty much perfect, thank you.

Ditto_Face
Aug 19, 2020
Wanted my first post to be here! Before paper magic didn't exist, I ran weekly Legacy at RIW Hobbies and Games, also used to play when Shaman Ben ran monthly Vintage at the store. I have the most experience with D&T in Legacy but am putting together 4/5c control with Oko, Uro, and Astrolabe (aka the real MVP). Haven't touched vintage in awhile though. What's everyone running in Legacy? Is Modern worth trying anymore? Thanks for your patients in letting me be a newb with this post!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Ditto_Face posted:

Wanted my first post to be here! Before paper magic didn't exist, I ran weekly Legacy at RIW Hobbies and Games, also used to play when Shaman Ben ran monthly Vintage at the store. I have the most experience with D&T in Legacy but am putting together 4/5c control with Oko, Uro, and Astrolabe (aka the real MVP). Haven't touched vintage in awhile though. What's everyone running in Legacy? Is Modern worth trying anymore? Thanks for your patients in letting me be a newb with this post!

Currently in legacy I’ve been running Doomsday for the most fun I’ve literally ever had in the format; and then the Stifle RUG Delverless list as my secondary list which has been pure gas as well.

Haven’t been able to enjoy modern in a while here :(

Ditto_Face
Aug 19, 2020
Doomsday is my jam!! Haven't played it regularly since we were using Experimental Frenzy though... I used to leave every week with a headache and a new appreciation for the depth Magic has to offer lol. What's your list look like these days? Think I could rent it from Manatraders with a basic sub?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Manaless dredge in legacy because in cheap. Thinking of getting g burn because it's fun and cheap.

Modern seems alright at the moment? I haven't played in a while

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Ditto_Face posted:

Doomsday is my jam!! Haven't played it regularly since we were using Experimental Frenzy though... I used to leave every week with a headache and a new appreciation for the depth Magic has to offer lol. What's your list look like these days? Think I could rent it from Manatraders with a basic sub?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3275980#paper This was my most recent list that got published; but it's not good (dont play Uro; it was an attempt to hedge for RUG and it kinda worked but lost points against a lot of other stuff and wasnt worth the deckbuilding cost of going up lands and whatnot)

Here's what I've been running most recently:

The doomsday community is a little split right now between the BUG varaint (my list, there's some variation in them, but most are close) and the grixis with green sideboard splash variant:

My main issues with the red lists splashing green is that the blasts have a higher ceiling but less broad applicability (e.g. dont protect discard) and REALLY make your manabase softer to poo poo like wasteland and bloodmoon; which is simply not my jam.

The other upside is Veil can be used proactively and allow you to combo through an LED and not stress about holding up interaction through the end of the turn if you can kill without passing the turn.

People are having success with both variations though and the difference is really not that egregious.

You can realistically probably come in under $450 for a MTGO deck easily, probably less if you shave on Carpet of Flowers in the sideboard and lose some points in the Delver matchup, which is already bad

Come join the discord if you want to chat about doomsday with nerds like us: https://discord.gg/vajvFXt

Walked fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 21, 2020

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I picked legacy up last week after not playing it for a few years, purely to try to qualify for this month's manatraders tournament online. Went with green 12 post and bullied my way into a 7-3 :toot: Really fun deck, elvish reclaimer is a sweet card.

Modern is pretty good at the moment, nothing ruining the format and a really solid variety of decks.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I play infect in paper legacy. I have a great community near me when there isn't a horrible pandemic.
I like Infect because I feel like it gives you a little bit of everything in the Legacy experience. You get the cantrips cartel for consistency, FoW so you don't just autolose to combo, you can play the combo game yourself but in a fairer way so it never feels like your opponent just can't do anything, and you get to alternate between playing aggro/tempo/control game plan based on the matchup and your draw.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
It's always interesting to see people chatting about the active scene in their area. Legacy is completely dead around my city and we have several thriving shops. I sold almost all of my legacy stuff because the one weekly legacy night we had just petered out and died. Modern is very active here though, and pioneer was doing ok before Covid.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

modern is really cool at the moment. legacy isn't bad, but it's still dominated by astrolabe, i think. although when we play legacy once per month, people just play the decks they have and it's great. i usually bring rug delver or eldrazi post. i could also build an astrolabe pile, but i play mostly uro decks in modern (and eldrazi tron!), so it's nice to switch up after a while.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Mox Hombre posted:

modern is really cool at the moment. legacy isn't bad, but it's still dominated by astrolabe, i think. although when we play legacy once per month, people just play the decks they have and it's great. i usually bring rug delver or eldrazi post. i could also build an astrolabe pile, but i play mostly uro decks in modern (and eldrazi tron!), so it's nice to switch up after a while.

Nah legacy is entirely governed by RUG delver right now in terms of dominance - astrolabe is just kinda tier 1.5

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

that's why local legacy (and modern) metas are awesome. when we played legacy we had rug delver, jund, goblins, omnishow, bomberman, doomsday and uhhh bg rock

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Ditto_Face posted:

... Legacy ... putting together 4/5c control with Oko, Uro, and Astrolabe (aka the real MVP).

I don't mean this as a personal attack on you but I hate everything about this sentence.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Voyager I posted:

I don't mean this as a personal attack on you but I hate everything about this sentence.

Same but I do mean it as a personal attack.

Ditto_Face
Aug 19, 2020

suicidesteve posted:

Same but I do mean it as a personal attack.

Lol I didn't exactly sound like a fun magic player with that post did I? I do stand by my statement of astrolabe being the best card in that deck though. By a lot.

Also, I totally joined the Doomsday Discord btw! Thank you for posting! Sorry for not double quoting. Still learning how to post correctly...

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

never let people put you down for your deck and card choices brother. embrace the uro astrolabe pile idiot within you, like i do. everyone should play exactly what they want and other people should mind their own business

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mox Hombre posted:

never let people put you down for your deck and card choices brother. embrace the uro astrolabe pile idiot within you, like i do. everyone should play exactly what they want and other people should mind their own business

Yeah, people keep asking me why I play infect even when it isn't good in the meta and I have other better choices, but nothing is like the rush of making them have it and the getting to ten anyway.

You just gotta play the deck that is fun for you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Cactrot posted:

Yeah, people keep asking me why I play infect even when it isn't good in the meta and I have other better choices, but nothing is like the rush of making them have it and the getting to ten anyway.

You just gotta play the deck that is fun for you.

As a Mill player, big same.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I miss paper legacy :( Haven't gotten to bring oko/uro sultai lands to a paper event yet, and the deck is really cool!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I switched from ANT to TES after the printing of the witch claw, its great fun and I love it. The wish sideboard opens up a lot of lines, also the deck has less turn one kills but more resilience which I think is good

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Serious post: every deck I've ever owned or liked has been power crept out of legacy within a year, and I'd rather not play than play a 7 color pile of good cards. So I play Death and Taxes because it's the closest thing I have to a real deck. I even do alright with it because most players are very bad, and people in stores (remember those?) tend to just play what they have. Lots of non-blue decks for $ome rea$on. I'm like, one Force of Will (and one Tundra but lol) away from having Sharkstill or UW Miracles built, which can only mean it's not actually good. Also I don't have the red splash because I refuse to own duals at this point, so even if it is good, my build won't be!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sometimes its enough to just know your deck, I played D&T for years, when it was even worse, back then the big power move was the Mangara + Karakas combo, You can get pretty far in legacy playing a deck you like and know well imo, its still a cool and rad format.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

neaden posted:

I play infect in paper legacy. I have a great community near me when there isn't a horrible pandemic.
I like Infect because I feel like it gives you a little bit of everything in the Legacy experience. You get the cantrips cartel for consistency, FoW so you don't just autolose to combo, you can play the combo game yourself but in a fairer way so it never feels like your opponent just can't do anything, and you get to alternate between playing aggro/tempo/control game plan based on the matchup and your draw.

I also play legacy infect. I’ve been testing a white splash for t3feri in the main and geist in the side as well.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mezzanon posted:

I also play legacy infect. I’ve been testing a white splash for t3feri in the main and geist in the side as well.

I do white sometimes for swords and rest in peace, depending on how my meta is shaping. There is a lot of lands/loan in my area though, so staying ug for a safer manabase can be worth it.

Ditto_Face
Aug 19, 2020

suicidesteve posted:

Serious post: every deck I've ever owned or liked has been power crept out of legacy within a year, and I'd rather not play than play a 7 color pile of good cards. So I play Death and Taxes because it's the closest thing I have to a real deck. I even do alright with it because most players are very bad, and people in stores (remember those?) tend to just play what they have. Lots of non-blue decks for $ome rea$on. I'm like, one Force of Will (and one Tundra but lol) away from having Sharkstill or UW Miracles built, which can only mean it's not actually good. Also I don't have the red splash because I refuse to own duals at this point, so even if it is good, my build won't be!

How do you feel about Pauper? As much as I love Legacy, I think Pauper is my favorite format for this $ame rea$ons. I lost in a Top 8 match to a friend from Canada while we were like twelve deep on the stack.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Ditto_Face posted:

How do you feel about Pauper? As much as I love Legacy, I think Pauper is my favorite format for this $ame rea$ons. I lost in a Top 8 match to a friend from Canada while we were like twelve deep on the stack.

God I love pauper. I even like playing bad decks in pauper (uw acid trip), I am really sad that gush died for foils sons (rip tribe) and now I’m playing the cycling storm deck in pauper and it absolutely slaps.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
y'all should be playing premodern it whips and gush 1) isn't banned 2) doesn't need to be banned

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

there's a couple of guys at our legacy tournaments that always bring premodern decks and play eachother or ask people if they wanna play premodern with them. i tease them about it but they're cool. anyway, next time i'm gonna bring modern rug reclamation or eldrazi tron and we're gonna play premodern vs modern, i'm gonna destroy them

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ditto_Face posted:

Pauper is almost good again, but as long as Tron is a deck in the format, the entire meta will remain Tron vs Delver/faeries with some renegades playing Boros monarch or burn

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Pauper is almost good again, but as long as Tron is a deck in the format, the entire meta will remain Tron vs Delver/faeries with some renegades playing Boros monarch or burn

I just want to play my alpha Pestilences with 56 foils. Is that so much to ask for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Mox Hombre posted:

there's a couple of guys at our legacy tournaments that always bring premodern decks and play eachother or ask people if they wanna play premodern with them. i tease them about it but they're cool. anyway, next time i'm gonna bring modern rug reclamation or eldrazi tron and we're gonna play premodern vs modern, i'm gonna destroy them

i think the rock or landstill might be ok in a pre vs modern setting depending on the matchup but yeah modern is probably a full turn faster generally as a format