Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Dackel posted:

The main difference to the main game is that you don't summon as much as you used to, because breeding is gone. No experimenting for outcomes, you always know what you get now.
Well, that makes it more tolerable, but still annoying if you need the same creature for multiple combinations and you want all of them, though. Harvesting cores was fast and easy, you could easily get multiple of a type in a single battle and then just jump back out of the realm. If they really want to streamline it, they should just make monster knowledge a one-off thing and let you summon any number of the monster at the usual cost afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

anilEhilated posted:

Let's just all calm down and admire The Bird.

Requesting mods add The Bird to the OP

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Played some of that Avengers beta and it's...not good!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

Which mobile service provider skin did you go with

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Spent all day yesterday playing mortal shell. It is quite good. If you like dark souls its an easy recommendation. Epic store only for a year though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So that DC thing people mentioned earlier happened and uh, Shadow of Gotham with 2P co-op seems maybe cool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np-QRdUTkSs

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Orv posted:

So that DC thing people mentioned earlier happened and uh, Shadow of Gotham with 2P co-op seems maybe cool?

the enemy levels, health bars, damage numbers, xp levels, and resource systems are all massive red flags to me. I know older Arkham titles have xp and leveling up, but all that did was allow u to unlock new abilities or gadgets and it had nothing to do with doing more damage or whatever. Coop looks really fun, but im gonna wait and see how this all shakes out. Rrrrreeeealllllyyyy hope this isnt some games as a service bullshit like Avengers

Orv
May 4, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the enemy levels, health bars, damage numbers, xp levels, and resource systems are all massive red flags to me. I know older Arkham titles have xp and leveling up, but all that did was allow u to unlock new abilities or gadgets and it had nothing to do with doing more damage or whatever. Coop looks really fun, but im gonna wait and see how this all shakes out. Rrrrreeeealllllyyyy hope this isnt some games as a service bullshit like Avengers

I'm pretty sure, at a glance that that stuff is just ripped off of Shadow of Mordor/War rather than a GaaS thing but I could be wrong. We'll see.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordja posted:

If found that everything that wasn't the gameplay was mediocre or bad, but the gameplay itself is pretty good. The characters play really differently and that's important. The move diversity seems impressive. There's a ton of depth of the combat mechanics and most other games should be ashamed of their tooltips because this should be the new standard. Does it actually work at higher difficulties? I have no idea - but if it does it's a real shame all of the game as a service and multiplayer trash ruins it.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Orv posted:

that looks awful

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Remember Tecman’s mega-OPs from years ago? They were huge but good god were they comprehensive.

I mainly remember some dumbass who never posted in the Steam thread or maybe even the whole games forum barged into the thread back then and locked it out of pure pettiness.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Great concept for a co-op game but not digging the extravagant abilities and stuff. It reminds me of Destiny/Borderlands/Division and that in turn makes me think there will be weekly raids on villain's lairs to gather legendary rarity capes and poo poo.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Misread that post and now I’m wishing Batman had a crepe based rogue in his gallery

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

lordfrikk posted:

I mainly remember some dumbass who never posted in the Steam thread or maybe even the whole games forum barged into the thread back then and locked it out of pure pettiness.

Wasn’t that Ralp?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

looks generic as poo poo, very good to avoid.

In the meantime go play Spiritfarer. It's very chill, mostly well exectued, mixed a lot of different mechanics into a great adventure. Also you can hug animals all the time. It's very good.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

Wasn't it something like zooloo said he'd close the thread if someone narrated the entire op on stream?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Det_no posted:

Great concept for a co-op game but not digging the extravagant abilities and stuff. It reminds me of Destiny/Borderlands/Division and that in turn makes me think there will be weekly raids on villain's lairs to gather legendary rarity capes and poo poo.

r u talking about Avengers or the new Batman game?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Antigravitas posted:

But I dislike how Unity still can't do smooth 2D.

This is from 2 days ago, but Hollow Knight was made in Unity and that's smooth as butter.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

K8.0 posted:

Seconding that if your primary concern is getting away from bad combat systems, Dragon's Dogma is well worth a look. Definitely the best combat system of any fantasy RPG, and the pawn system is great. May not be what you're looking for if you want intensely good moment-to-moment storytelling, though. I like the plot, but it's heavily backloaded and most of the main game is just crossing the countryside killing monsters.

Obligatory post:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNbabKjKpA

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

tight aspirations posted:

Wasn't it something like zooloo said he'd close the thread if someone narrated the entire op on stream?
there was effort put into tecman's ops but we really didn't take it seriously. it was during the time when megathreads were the norm and having a comprehensive overview of everything was the expectation

the one's trying to act like they weren't mad over it were hilarious imo

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

haldolium posted:

looks generic as poo poo, very good to avoid.

In the meantime go play Spiritfarer. It's very chill, mostly well exectued, mixed a lot of different mechanics into a great adventure. Also you can hug animals all the time. It's very good.

liking spiritfarer so far, does the management get complex to any meaningful degree?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Orv posted:

Rare Replay has been on Xbox Gamepass at least once before I believe, if it's not a permanent addition since Rare is first party now.

Unfortunately it's not on the PC version now or in the foreseeable future AFAIK.

Gonna buy an XBoneX for Perfect Dark

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Zeta Acosta posted:

already played it on ps4 my brain must be broken but i didnt like it

Kind of in the same boat. I've played through the first intro zone, and I feel like I've seen everything I need to see in the game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Kind of in the same boat. I've played through the first intro zone, and I feel like I've seen everything I need to see in the game.

I've done the same thing, but apparently the story is pretty good...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I played through something like 2/3 of it on ps4 and eventually trailed off since whatever it was that was supposed to be so amazing had yet to materialize, other than the graphics.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played more Avengers and it's overall structure is more Warframe than Destiny. You're selecting repeatable missions from a map menu, most of them are a single generic objective or a string of said generic objectives. Even the "Iconic Mission" in the beta, which had tiny amounts of story to it and forces you to play as a particular heroe seem equally cut-and-paste. The couple campaign levels do seem more designed, however, but still unexciting. Hope you like generic underground labs and enemies constantly teleporting in!

As always, I strongly disagree with Daton. The game plays like rear end. Combat is incredibly basic and largely unsatisfying, and the auditory feedback from beating up generic AIMmen/robits is weak. Characters may seem different at first but they're really not very. They all share pretty much the same combo strings, attack types, and even their skill trees aren't dissimilar from one another. Iron Man, for example, is basically just as good at melee as The Incredible Hulk and while he can technically fly at snail's pace (can't have him splitting from the crew!) most of the levels take place in constrained spaces, and what outdoors sections I saw have an invisible ceiling of about 10 meters. Fucken :lol:. Progression in general feels limited. From what I can tell, each character has three active skills on a cooldown, one offensive, one utility and one ult, with no way to get new ones. Most of the characters' skill tree unlocks are pretty basic moves, for example, a dash attack, or the ability to add a strong-hit finisher to your light-hit string. Iron Man's was a little more interesting in that he could unlock laser and rocket moves in his tree, which were kind of fun. And of course, this game has absolutely zero business being a loot game but I'd argue that applies to a lot of things.

In conclusion,

Orv
May 4, 2011
I really enjoyed the combat, could take or leave the GaaS and even the number go up bit, probably pick it up since they're saying all the gameplay stuff with be free. :shrug:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

r u talking about Avengers or the new Batman game?

yes

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

After finishing Remnant’s campaign for the first time I can’t really say I’m in a hurry to repeat much. I know there can be different bosses but the enemies and levels between them didn’t grab me in a way that I’d want to go through them multiple times just to see a new boss.

Good game for 1 playthrough. Not going to take anything away from it there. And if the DLC ever goes on sale in the Epic store maybe I’ll pick that up.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Orv posted:

At this rate, every game will be exactly the same with different licenses within five years.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's not really remotely in danger of happening, no.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i for one am here for it

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Sinteres posted:

At this rate, every game will be exactly the same with different licenses within five years.

Hell, it already happened to Ubisoft :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Largepotato posted:

Requesting mods add The Bird to the OP

It's a really good bird

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Sinteres posted:

the two series were already borderline identical

complete with being a buggy, barely working mess

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've played a bit more Mortal Shell and so far my opinion is mixed. The exploration and world stuff is really good, good enough to keep me going no matter what happens with the combat. I'm currently in the big shattered obsidian canyon and it's beautiful.

The combat itself is a bit janky however. I saw some article a few days ago that said it's an easier Dark Souls but I'm finding it pretty punishing compared to Dark Souls 1 at least. It's certainly much slower, but that doesn't necessarily translate into easier. There's not much in the way of a defensive mechanic it seems. Maybe I'm using it wrong but the harden mechanic feels nearly useless since many enemies, rather than getting stunned or interrupted by hitting me when I'm hardened, can essentially chain a combo off it. Maybe it's just my Dark Souls brain doing me wrong, but it feels like a successful counter/stagger/poise-break should not reduce the number of frames into the next attack. I also have not been able to figure out how to parry reliably at all. I'm not the greatest at it in Dark Souls either but it seems like the number of frames you have to parry in advance is sometimes greater than the actual number of windup frames certain attacks have, and since parrying successfully seems to be the only effective healing mechanic (and only with a resolve charge at that), it feels like a super gamble that's almost never worth taking. I've only found a couple of enemies that I could parry with any kind of reliability and it still always ends up being safer to just keep my distance and run in for a lunge attack when I get an opening.

Looking forward to continuing with it, but I don't think I'll fall in love with the actual combat itself. But there are plenty of games like that that I still love, Zelda games in particular, where running past the enemies is preferred and fighting them is perfunctory when required. In some ways, this game feels like all the parts of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls that I loved but I feel were subsequently lost over time in the other installments, which is a win for me.

edit: I just realized I posted this in the Steam thread when it's not actually out on Steam yet. Is there a better thread for stuff like this?

Volte fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 23, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

we had a PC gaming megathread but it was locked due to drama

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think it was locked due to being dead (because this is the PC gaming thread despite some people apparently being really weird about it).

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm pretty sure I and the other people being 'really weird' about it would be completely fine with it being titled the general thread, it was just the way it was handled, which we were all pretty calm about (I was a bit snippier than I maybe needed to be.) Go for it.

E: Keep the genuinely good Romance of the 3 Storefronts bit though, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
To follow up on my Mortal Shell combat griping, I'm fighting this boss Crucix the Twiceborn and upon landing a successful parry with no resolve charges, I am literally stunned for longer than the boss to the point where I take unavoidable damage from the crossbow guy sticking out of his chest, which auto-attacks after a parry. I can't even harden during the post-parry stun animation, so he always hits me with one crossbow bolt before I can harden through it. The frustrating thing is that the combat is a few small gripes away from being good and rewarding, but those things sometimes cross over into the "unavoidable bullshit damage" territory. Or at least, the systems they gave me to interact with are sometimes unavoidably counterproductive.