Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy gently caress yes what a truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

1) HELL YES
2) what the gently caress is your camera doing to the audio, trying to treat the LS as noise?
3) HELL YES
4) the LS smile is real and never goes away
5) HELL YES
6) "should probably test the brakes okay they work"
7) HELL YES
8) HELL YES
69420) HELL loving YES

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I need a cigarette, and a towel. I just made a bit of a mess.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cursedshitbox posted:

Awww gently caress YES!!

Is that in low range?

Great question :v: I forgot to check after driving it. It feels pretty deep but I'm also used to 33s, 3.55s, 190hp, and 3.83 first gear while this is 35s, 3.73s, 325hp, and 6.34 first gear. And the front output is definitely spinning free as of when I pulled the front driveshaft I was using for mockup, so I think it's in 2hi... I really should have checked.

IOwnCalculus posted:

1) HELL YES
2) what the gently caress is your camera doing to the audio, trying to treat the LS as noise?
3) HELL YES
4) the LS smile is real and never goes away
5) HELL YES
6) "should probably test the brakes okay they work"
7) HELL YES
8) HELL YES
69420) HELL loving YES

The crazy audio is the vast quantities of junk, random nuts and bolts, dirt, rust chunks, and pebbles being shaken around violently. Also there's no trans tunnel cover plate or shift boot and the exhaust is 3" and has zero muffling of any kind oh and it dumps... Basically under the back of the drivers seat. So basically if I give it the beans all you're going to hear is rattling, debris blasting everywhere and clipping.

It has a long way to go. But once I get the rear axle, rear driveshaft, and exhaust on and update my reg and insurance I can drive it home and get in a few hours of detail work fiddling done every evening.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Congrats man, it's been a long slog.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
We should send you an external mic to get a better recording of that "exhaust." gently caress yeah this thing rules. Why aren't all trucks like this?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This is the best thread.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Heck yeah!

page 69 lol

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
That is a thing of beauty. I'm legit happy for you man.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha that's loving awesome dude, I put it full screen, cranked the volume and it felt like I was in the Honcho :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's loving awesome, Ken. I imagine it's been discussed, but is that runway technically still active?

also

nice

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

loving bad rear end.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I hate to disappoint but I'm going to put the rest of the stock van exhaust on it, including a muffler that's like the size of a suitcase. You'll barely be able to hear the engine when it's on :v: it's not the exhaust I really want to run but it was 21 dollars at the junkyard and I knew the tubing would be the right diameter, so I'll spend another quality evening with the mig welder and bandsaw once I get the hangar cleaned out a bit and the rear axle installed.

My ears are still ringing from yesterday. It's so loud it's more of a whole body experience.

The runway is still active, yes. It's an uncontrolled field and the hang glider and ultralight clubs were packing up for the day because there were dark ominous clouds getting very close, so I just looked around for people staging for takeoff or approaching for landing before doing my thing.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

I hate to disappoint but I'm going to put the rest of the stock van exhaust on it, including a muffler that's like the size of a suitcase. You'll barely be able to hear the engine when it's on :v: it's not the exhaust I really want to run but it was 21 dollars at the junkyard and I knew the tubing would be the right diameter, so I'll spend another quality evening with the mig welder and bandsaw once I get the hangar cleaned out a bit and the rear axle installed.

My ears are still ringing from yesterday. It's so loud it's more of a whole body experience.

The runway is still active, yes. It's an uncontrolled field and the hang glider and ultralight clubs were packing up for the day because there were dark ominous clouds getting very close, so I just looked around for people staging for takeoff or approaching for landing before doing my thing.

Squawk 1200 and loving send it.
The FAA has decided that "uncontrolled field" sounds too wild west, and have since started calling it a "non-towered airport."

I can't wait to see that thing offroad. I ripped the oh-poo poo handle off the comanche, excited to see what damage goes on here :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yesss! Holy poo poo! The best feeling ever

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That is awesome

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yes this rules. Such a badass truck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

HOPEFULLY I'll have the exhaust and maybe even the rear axle done on this thing Monday. Or at least the rear axle close to ready to go in and the exhaust done. I think I can do the exhaust before the axle if I plan well, since the only real difference will be that the diff housing will be about 8-12 inches closer to the driver side.

I also hope to get the lighting working correctly, which is looking like a mess because the reverse lights, brake lights, and marker lights don't even work the same on the rear two corners when they should be wired in parallel...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Fuuuuuck YESSS!

'grats on getting it running and driving dude, can't wait to see what you get up to with it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
good job you absolute madman

you won't have to deal with emissions here, they shut down all emissions testing at the beginning of the year.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah I heard that! I'm gonna stick a cat on it and keep my evap system working regardless because I like wheeling without a headache and my gas lasting longer in the tank, but I really hope to pick up one of the old emissions testing dynos for fun projects eventually.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Also by the time we get there the fleets newest shitbox will be a 93 or maybe a 94, so I'll be in the clear regardless. For once owning old shitboxes makes this easier.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Late to the party, but congrats! Great to see that thing moving under its own power. Sounds awesome. Yeah, the van exhaust will knock it down, but you can change that easily enough when it's financially prudent.
Also, I see that you have taken up the jorts mantle from Sockington. :P

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well yesterday/today has been a total bust on getting anything useful done on any front. I have been stymied in bullshit frustrating ways on literally everything I touch and now the Honcho is not drivable (just because I need parts, I didn't break anything), the Comanche is loud and I don't have parts to make it quiet again, and there's poo poo everywhere in the way of everything.

Drat.

"I am very poorly today and very stupid and hate everybody and everything" - Charles Darwin, in a letter to a friend

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I stacked booger welds until the Comanche was quiet again. Also my Amazon order got here today so I've put together the new LED lighting inside the left taillight housing, the right is still at the hangar because I didn't think to bring both home.

A bunch of amazonium:

The factory sockets for the 1156 and 1157 bulbs grounded through the reflector shell and the connection was literally just the sheet metal crimped against the potmetal reflector. It was corroded and no amount of loving with it or abusing it with my spot welder would get it to work reliably, so I decided to rip it all out and do it right.

Once I conformal coat these with the clear epoxy, I'll hotsnot them in place permanently and then just have to put the lenses back on. I got stainless screws for that because half of mine were missing anyways and the rest were rusty or stripped.

With that hopefully I can get the front lighting harness built up, build the rest of the exhaust (still need to pick up bandsaw blades and exhaust hangars) and it'll be street drivable, since I renewed my tabs last week.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That looks good, why'd you go that route over drop-in LED replacements though?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Have you not read the house thread? This is kastein, not some schmuck who's satisfied with perfectly suitable off-the-shelf parts.

(Also the stock ground path was hosed)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How do you use that epoxy to conformal coat an LED? Just dip it in a jar of it or something?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yeah are you gonna just epoxy them in place or build a mold for em?

I don't think the epoxy will lift the reflective silver if you do the former method if you can manage temperatures. I've done a PLA mold casts with success now, ABS? should be fine as long as it isn't a few inches thick.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Elviscat posted:

The stock sockets were the hosed part. And no one makes replacements that won't have it happen again for less than 60 each, which I'm not paying. I really didn't want this project, but this was the cheapest way out and means I shouldn't have to gently caress with it again.

I'm just dipping all the electronics and then hot gluing them into the housing. I'd love to fill the housing with epoxy but I don't trust Amazon's finest $1.50 LED modules that much.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kastein posted:

The stock sockets were the hosed part. And no one makes replacements that won't have it happen again for less than 60 each, which I'm not paying. I really didn't want this project, but this was the cheapest way out and means I shouldn't have to gently caress with it again.

I'm just dipping all the electronics and then hot gluing them into the housing. I'd love to fill the housing with epoxy but I don't trust Amazon's finest $1.50 LED modules that much.

But they're LEDs, they never go bad!

Oh, NM.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah the Amazon reviews for an older version of the same product include scorched light fixtures so I'm already a bit uneasy, didn't think making it permanent was the right choice :v:

The first one is epoxy coated and partially cured. Hopefully installing tomorrow.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Finally got caught up, congrats man. That programming and finding errors and settings that are wrong and don't work got the best of me on my project.

I've been wanting to put LED stop turn tail guts into my brake lights for years, seems the best way was to get a light and take it apart, of course the one I got was solid epoxy so that didn't work. Interested to see how the amazonium works. I've been noticing the brand names on their since a post you made a while back about how they seem to be procedurealy or randomly generated and I'm not interested in any of that crap anymore. Can't trust it, the idea is to finish projects not go back to them constantly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I bought spambot generated brand parts for these lights :sigh: I try not to feed behaviors that bother me but I'm on a time crunch here and don't want to spend hours using Amazon's completely useless search tool to try and find anything worth buying so I tried the garbage.

The epoxy went alright last night. I am actually out at the hangar right now, BigPaddy came by with his trans crossmember so we knocked that out (I gotta get one of those cheap import plasma cutters... That thing worked pretty well for the price) and then I got to welding the rest of my exhaust up. Got the hangers mounted on the frame and tcase (long story...) And fabbed up the rest of the Y pipe to mate to the catback. I actually managed to set it up so a bone stock '10 g2500 catback will bolt on in case I need to junkyard replacement exhaust in the middle of nowhere. The part behind the rear axle hump looks dorky as hell because it points towards the center instead of behind the wheel, and hangs a foot too low but it fits. I chopped that part off of this one but it's nice to know another will fit with no mods if it has to.

The muffler is the size of a drat duffel bag. And now my poor firebreathing truck sounds exactly like a boring rear end plumbers van. I'm not sure what I was expecting really, given, well, that's what it came off of...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It turns out I took exactly zero pictures of the rest of the Y pipe fabrication and mounting the exhaust hangers. Oh well. I chose locations for the hangers so that the factory '10 van exhaust will fit with no mods as noted, and it uses the Sierra (and some vans, and a ton of other GM stuff) style bushings with the steel band molded into the outer ring.. I got mine free at the junkyard though, they just waved me out the gate when I tried to pay.

First taillight is done. I hotsnotted the epoxy conformal coated LED assemblies into the housing, chased all the lens mounting holes with an 8-32 tap, and installed new stainless screws so they will stop rusting. Here's just the running lamp:

And here's the running, turn/stop, and reverse lamps all at once:

Welded new metal into the old shifter hole and traced out the hole I need to cut for the new shifter to fit right, then realized I left my compound tin snips at home and my bandsaw won't do this job, so I'm going to need to buy a nibbler or body saw.

This drat bump is going to get in the way of the shifter boot I bought so next time I'll have to cut it down and weld in new flat metal there too. Apparently die stamping wasn't very advanced in 1979 AMC factories? I dunno.

Shifter boot is a dorman 924-5406. It is meant for a Kenworth.

That's about it for now.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Fully gently caress compound tin snips anyway. They always seem like they're going to do fine but never work right. They don't fit, cut terrible inside corners, and bend the metal to poo poo. I switched to some throatless electric shears, jigsaw with a metal blade, and then just use the tin snips for knocking off a corner or small trimming of raw metal. If I start another big sheet metal project it'll be a bodysaw for me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When I worked installing pool cages back in the day a dude I worked with was a master with tin snips, I could never figure out how he did it, I always hosed it up I hate tin snips

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Applebees Appetizer posted:

When I worked installing pool cages back in the day a dude I worked with was a master with tin snips, I could never figure out how he did it, I always hosed it up I hate tin snips

One of the tricks I learned was to never get to the end of the blades. I still can't use them for poo poo, but at least I don't have the mangled spots in the middle of cuts from the end of the blade popping through.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Tin snips work great within their range of usefulness. Never let the tips get to the metal in the middle of a cut like sharky said, and use snips designed for the thickness of metal you're using too. Standard wiss compounds are not designed to cut 16ga nicely for example. So when you muscle through it with them it's gonna turn out like poo poo, as it did for me. I can cut 20ga and thinner absolutely perfectly with the same snips, no wrinkling and I'll keep the cut on the correct side of a fine tip sharpie line down to like 2 inch radius curves. But it'll look like I chewed it out with my teeth if I try to do this trans tunnel plate with it.

Body saw it is on this one. I'm gonna buy it on my next errand run into town next week sometime, probably followed by the next Honcho workday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Finished building and coating the second taillight but didn't assemble or install it since the epoxy wasn't cured enough to hot glue in place yet. This time I got the conformal coating shots I missed last time.

Messy.

I have to do initial coat, then babysit it until it's technically past its pot life and getting pretty stiff before recoating to get maximum coating thickness.

Then I decided to clean the factory axle mounts off the new rear axle.
Sometimes violence is the answer, really.

After a bit with the grinder it cleaned up decently:

That's all for now. The small CNC mill was down and there's a project in the big one (has been for weeks) so I can't use it, so I finally gave up and just ordered the right leaf perches I should have ordered 3 weeks ago instead of remachining spares I had on hand to fit, only to find that lead time is a week before they ship even though they're on the shelf. Goddamn it. I'd reuse the factory ones but they're for 3 inch springs not 2.5 inch.