Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hadlock posted:

I'm wondering if everyone is just hanging on to their points with plans to redeem them in 2021 making their partners antsy

I don't think the partners care all that much right now but points are a liability on the balance sheet so they want to burn them down. Same reason a lot of companies right now are sending out "Use your vacation for fucks sake" emails to employees. It isn't out of the goodness of their hearts, it's because they want to reduce an increasingly large negative number on their financial reports.

In Chase's case they're had some ridiculously good promotions this summer so I wonder if they got spooked by people cancelling since travel cards are basically worthless right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I just got a rejection letter from US Bank for their Cash+ credit card due to "number of recent inquiries on consumer report". They go on to provide a few more details that lead me to believe that, despite my excellent credit score and payment history, they really don't like that I was recently approved the for the Chase Freedom Unlimited and that my CFU card is still only a few months old. Are these the dreaded "hard inquiries" that people talk about? How long should I wait to try again?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Any recommendations on a good non-chase card to sign up for to put a 3-4k spend on for sign up bonuses? I have a house project coming up in a month that I have the cash for, but I'd like to pay with a CC to get a nice bonus. I've burned through all the Chase cards, so I can't do that again.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

literally this big posted:

I just got a rejection letter from US Bank for their Cash+ credit card due to "number of recent inquiries on consumer report". They go on to provide a few more details that lead me to believe that, despite my excellent credit score and payment history, they really don't like that I was recently approved the for the Chase Freedom Unlimited and that my CFU card is still only a few months old. Are these the dreaded "hard inquiries" that people talk about? How long should I wait to try again?

Yes, those are hard inquiries - don't forget the Citi Double Cash you applied for, as well. Inquiries, however, are typically only reported to the bureau the bank requests your score/report from (except capital one, which obnoxiously requests it from all three major ones). A lot of it has to do with recent inquiries in the context of how many cards you have in general.

For a bit of a hyperbolic example, if someone only ever had one or two cards, and maybe has not had them that long, and now suddenly they're applying for like four or five of them, that's a Big Red Flag to lenders because whoa, why do you need all this credit all of a sudden, is something going on?

Since you've already got the hard inquiry from US Bank pulling your credit for this, I'd recommend calling their reconsideration line and seeing if they'd be willing to budge on it. Be ready to discuss any aspect of your current credit situation and why you should be extended more credit, why you wanted to do business with their bank/wanted that specific card, etc.

Here's DoC's article about reconsideration calls which is pretty decent:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/tips-for-reconsideration-phone-calls/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Any recommendations on a good non-chase card to sign up for to put a 3-4k spend on for sign up bonuses? I have a house project coming up in a month that I have the cash for, but I'd like to pay with a CC to get a nice bonus. I've burned through all the Chase cards, so I can't do that again.

I'm not very current on bonus offers any more, but it does look like the BoA Premium Rewards still has a 50k points($500) bonus after $3k spend in 3 months with a $95 AF and some specific travel credits.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

In addition, USBank is pretty strict on hard inquiries and new accounts in general in comparison to other issuers. I'm currently waiting to try for an altitude reserve from them, but waiting until I have no inquiries for at least 6 months.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jerk McJerkface posted:

astral posted:

I'm not very current on bonus offers any more, but it does look like the BoA Premium Rewards still has a 50k points($500) bonus after $3k spend in 3 months with a $95 AF and some specific travel credits.

Second this.

I just finished the bonus for this one. There weren't any better cash signup bonuses available for non-Chase cards.

If you are okay with some points or travel rewards, then there are a couple available right now that are worth more than the BoA Premium Rewards. But, it is the best for straight up cashback.

You can sort of cheat the BoA system by buying American Airlines gift cards from their online store. It counts as a travel credit for some reason. No other airlines gift cards will.

You can sell the AA gift cards on Raise for 95% of face value.

Edit: They also ran a special (might not be available for new cardholders) last month that gave you a $50 statement credit on groceries through December to show how compassionate they are because most people won't be using the travel credit.

So, it was $500 cash, $100 cash for the travel credit, and $50 for the groceries credit.

Subtract the annual fee and it ~$650 in rewards for 3k spend.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 25, 2020

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

astral posted:

Yes, those are hard inquiries - don't forget the Citi Double Cash you applied for, as well. Inquiries, however, are typically only reported to the bureau the bank requests your score/report from (except capital one, which obnoxiously requests it from all three major ones). A lot of it has to do with recent inquiries in the context of how many cards you have in general.

For a bit of a hyperbolic example, if someone only ever had one or two cards, and maybe has not had them that long, and now suddenly they're applying for like four or five of them, that's a Big Red Flag to lenders because whoa, why do you need all this credit all of a sudden, is something going on?

Since you've already got the hard inquiry from US Bank pulling your credit for this, I'd recommend calling their reconsideration line and seeing if they'd be willing to budge on it. Be ready to discuss any aspect of your current credit situation and why you should be extended more credit, why you wanted to do business with their bank/wanted that specific card, etc.

Here's DoC's article about reconsideration calls which is pretty decent:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/tips-for-reconsideration-phone-calls/

Thanks for this, I'll give them a call tomorrow. I want their Cashback+ card (or whatever it's called) for 5% cashback on utilities and internet. Seems like a great way to essentially get a 5% discount on some of life's largest recurring expenses. I'm also opening a few cards to increase my credit limit to improve my credit score. Those two Citi DC applications must've hurt me, if I had known it was a hard inquiry (or what a hard inquiry was) I wouldn't have tried the second time.

Cbear posted:

In addition, USBank is pretty strict on hard inquiries and new accounts in general in comparison to other issuers. I'm currently waiting to try for an altitude reserve from them, but waiting until I have no inquiries for at least 6 months.
drat, that's some poo poo. My rejection letter was pretty specific to my newly opened account(s) age. The main reason they stated was 'due to number of recent inquiries', but they also listed 'proportion of loan balances', 'length of time revolving accounts have been established', 'length of time accounts have been established', 'time since recent account opening is too short', and 'number of recent inquiries on consumer report'. Which seems like a lovely reason to reject me since I've never had a late payment and consistently maintain <5% utilization.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

astral posted:

If you have 100k lying around this is the hands-down best cashback card on the market.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Malcolm XML posted:

If you have 100k lying around this is the hands-down best cashback card on the market.

What are the redemptions like? Looks like 3.5 points on travel/dining, 2.62 on everything else? Can you just take that as cash back?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
When I try to get use a Chase Freedom referral from the spreadsheet, I get a page that says "This page is currently unavailable. Please check back later."

https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/Q8C5P4HFMI

Is Chase no longer doing that referral program or something?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

When I try to get use a Chase Freedom referral from the spreadsheet, I get a page that says "This page is currently unavailable. Please check back later."

https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/Q8C5P4HFMI

Is Chase no longer doing that referral program or something?

Chase tends to expire older referral links every so often, so that could be what's happening.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

astral posted:

Chase tends to expire older referral links every so often, so that could be what's happening.

Is there a time out for them? I can make the sheet auto expire them if they have a date I can track.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Just got off the phone with US Bank's credit reconsideration line. It was a short conversation, but I feel is was a productive one. When the lady looked at my application the first thing she said was "Hm, I can probably put this in for a second review", which I take as a good sign. When I explained the second Citi DC application was putting a very silly extra hard inquiry on my report she seemed to understand, so hopefully she made a note of that with my application.

Is there another chance of them pulling my credit again, or am I safe to go on applying to stuff?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

What are the redemptions like? Looks like 3.5 points on travel/dining, 2.62 on everything else? Can you just take that as cash back?

Yep! And invested balances at Merrill/Edge count towards your relationship bonuses, so if you have an old 401k moved to an IRA sitting around in ETFs at Edge you can get 2.6% cash-back everywhere. Pretty easy to get the 100$ travel credit to cover the $95 annual fee too.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Just got off the phone with US Bank's credit reconsideration line. It was a short conversation, but I feel is was a productive one. When the lady looked at my application the first thing she said was "Hm, I can probably put this in for a second review", which I take as a good sign. When I explained the second Citi DC application was putting a very silly extra hard inquiry on my report she seemed to understand, so hopefully she made a note of that with my application.

Is there another chance of them pulling my credit again, or am I safe to go on applying to stuff?

I'd give it at least a little bit of time either way before applying for more stuff.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

astral posted:

I'd give it at least a little bit of time either way before applying for more stuff.

I'm considering either the Chase Freedom ($200 SUB + $100 referral = 60% cashback on my next $500 in spending) or the Affinity Rewards card (5% back on Amazon seems very useful, even as a non-Prime customer, similar to the Target Red card).

I know what I'm getting with Chase, but I don't know anything about Affinity. 5% back sounds nice, but of course I'm always weary about opening an account with a new financial institution. Does anyone have experience with Affinity, or that card?

literally this big fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 27, 2020

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tangentially related to this thread but we signed up for a Citizens bank account to get the bonus and even for $300 I’m not sure it was worth the hassle.

1) it was a pain to sign up and required us to send them a drivers license scan.

2) the monthly account fee is $25. We had to pay two of them before the bonus posted. So not really a $300 bonus. I think the only way to waive the fee was to have a very large amount in deposit, enough where the interest loss would have been sizable.

3) canceling the account is a pain. Per the support, you can only close accounts with $0, and it costs $3 to do outgoing transfers. They can’t just mail a check like every other bank.

4) bank account bonuses are treated like interest so you are taxed on them.

All in all, would not recommend. Also unclear why anyone would use Citizens Bank.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

smackfu posted:

Tangentially related to this thread but we signed up for a Citizens bank account to get the bonus and even for $300 I’m not sure it was worth the hassle.

1) it was a pain to sign up and required us to send them a drivers license scan.

2) the monthly account fee is $25. We had to pay two of them before the bonus posted. So not really a $300 bonus. I think the only way to waive the fee was to have a very large amount in deposit, enough where the interest loss would have been sizable.

3) canceling the account is a pain. Per the support, you can only close accounts with $0, and it costs $3 to do outgoing transfers. They can’t just mail a check like every other bank.

4) bank account bonuses are treated like interest so you are taxed on them.

All in all, would not recommend. Also unclear why anyone would use Citizens Bank.

The One Deposit Checking account was eligible for the same bonus so you could have opened that instead and just requires a single deposit to waive the $9.99 fee. So just setting up a $1 ACH deposit from another account would have worked. Lots of banks require "scans" of drivers licenses and haven't found one which doesn't accept a photo from a phone/camera. And you can avoid the $3 push fee by pulling the money from another account instead.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

smackfu posted:

I've had a citizens account for going on 10 years. They are bad and I've been moving away from them in favor of Ally's online banking. I have a checking account with them I keep some cash in for local banking/cash deposits but I rarely go anymore, now that I don't need quarters for laundry. Like above poster said, deposits waive the fee, I have $50 go in every paycheck, and I pull it out via ally, which doesn't incur any fees.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks, I thought the mailer I got required the stupid expensive checking account. Still don’t understand why anyone would have these products, unless it’s the only physical bank in town and you need a physical bank.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Funnily enough, I tried the Boost feature the other day on my account with Experian.

I attached my bank account and it found my electric bill payments that are taken automatically and have never been missed.

It lowered my score with them by 30+ points.

Good feature, will use again!!1

This is hilarious. Sorry they screwed you so badly but at least we all got a funny story out of it.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Chase is overhauling the Freedom product line fyi

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

Chase is overhauling the Freedom product line fyi

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/freedom/comingsoon

Summary: Regular freedom to be called 'Freedom Flex' and become a mastercard world elite; this means it will get up to $800 in cell phone insurance ("Maximum of 2 claims in a 12 month period with a $50 deductible per claim").

Both Freedom Flex and Freedom Unlimited to get 3x on dining and drugstore purchases, as well as 5x on travel booked with cash through the UR portal.

They keep their standard stuff (1.5% on unlimited, 1% with 5% rotating categories on freedom flex).

According to DoC it sounds like the Flex will be treated as a new card type and you're allowed to have both one of those and the original Freedom, which means you could get the signup bonus if you're under 5/24. Otherwise you'll have to call after it launches and do a product change to change it over and get the extra goodies.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This is a pretty rare occasion of a company adding benefits to their card line.

I wonder what the credit card/bank company internal data looks like that drives them to make these changes.

I'd assume that people who get a credit card will just get it from whoever they bank with.

The turbonerds who research and min/max benefits will still probably use a 2% or better cashback card for general purposes and a 5% category card for other purchases.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vox Nihili posted:

This is hilarious. Sorry they screwed you so badly but at least we all got a funny story out of it.

Luckily you can instantly pull it and go back to where you were. Phew! Funnily enough they keep sending me a request for feedback on this exciting new feature, and I'm so tempted to give it to them ;)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

astral posted:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/freedom/comingsoon

Summary: Regular freedom to be called 'Freedom Flex' and become a mastercard world elite; this means it will get up to $800 in cell phone insurance ("Maximum of 2 claims in a 12 month period with a $50 deductible per claim").

Both Freedom Flex and Freedom Unlimited to get 3x on dining and drugstore purchases, as well as 5x on travel booked with cash through the UR portal.

They keep their standard stuff (1.5% on unlimited, 1% with 5% rotating categories on freedom flex).

According to DoC it sounds like the Flex will be treated as a new card type and you're allowed to have both one of those and the original Freedom, which means you could get the signup bonus if you're under 5/24. Otherwise you'll have to call after it launches and do a product change to change it over and get the extra goodies.

Are we gonna be able to double-dip on quarterly 5x bonuses by keeping the original Freedom and getting the new Freedom Flex?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Animal posted:

Are we gonna be able to double-dip on quarterly 5x bonuses by keeping the original Freedom and getting the new Freedom Flex?

It sure sounds that way, much like you can already (or at least you used to be able to) product change other stuff to have multiple regular freedoms, if you wanted.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

astral posted:

Interesting, but I'm not quite sure I understand the shift. So if I have a CFU, and was considering the CF soon for the SUB (plus a credit line increase), what would be the best way to take advantage of this? Three $0AF Chase cards with those perks sounds nice.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I have a CSR that is set to renew in a few months. With the new Freedom rebranding, is having the CSR even worth it at this point? Can I call and downgrade to the Freedom cards instead?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Dancing Peasant posted:

I have a CSR that is set to renew in a few months. With the new Freedom rebranding, is having the CSR even worth it at this point? Can I call and downgrade to the Freedom cards instead?

If you are not traveling anymore the only permanent reason seems to be to get the higher redemption value for your hoard of points. With the Freedom cards it’s just straight cash-back.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Interesting, but I'm not quite sure I understand the shift. So if I have a CFU, and was considering the CF soon for the SUB (plus a credit line increase), what would be the best way to take advantage of this? Three $0AF Chase cards with those perks sounds nice.

If you're 3/24 or less and want the extra bonus, and if it still lets you sign up for the regular chase freedom now, you could do that now and then in two weeks sign up for the freedom flex.

Dancing Peasant posted:

Well, definitely keep it for now with that sweet 1.5 cents per point pay yourself back for groceries/etc lasting through 9/30. If the renewal date is after that, I'd definitely wait until at least 9/30 to see if there's a good new 1.5 pay yourself back option.

If it sucks and/or if you don't have points to use and you aren't using the benefits, I'd definitely PC afterwards. If you don't have either Freedom and you're under 5/24, it might be worth signing up for one just for a quick and easy $200 plus the 5x on groceries for a year if you don't already have a blue cash preferred.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
US Bank reexamined my application and I got approved for the Cash+ card. I'm at 3/24 right now so I think I'll try for the Chase Freedom next while it's still around, get that SUB. Between the Freedom and the Cash+ that's $350 back in SUBs and 5% back on a bunch of catagories. Credit cards are like cheat codes for life.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Dancing Peasant posted:

Hold out to the last second, just in case they revamp the CSP/CSR cards as well.

I have the CSR for the travel protections and 3x travel bonus. With these CFU/CF/CFF changes, it makes the CSR much less appealing. Especially with the increased annual fee.

Ours is up for renewal in January 2021, past the December 2020 cutoff for the reduced $450 fee. If they don't announce a product upgrade by then, there is no point in keeping it and we'll likely downgrade at that point.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

FunOne posted:

Yep! And invested balances at Merrill/Edge count towards your relationship bonuses, so if you have an old 401k moved to an IRA sitting around in ETFs at Edge you can get 2.6% cash-back everywhere. Pretty easy to get the 100$ travel credit to cover the $95 annual fee too.

Is this worth doing if you don't already have something like a retirement account there? It seems like the loss of any sort of interest rate on that 100k would offset the fraction of a percent increase in cash back.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
FYI none of the Chase Freedom referral links work anymore as the CF referral program ended a few months ago. And of course it's no longer relevant as you will no longer be able to apply for the card. But apparently CF owners can still refer people to the CFU and still get the bonus, I think.

Speaking of, I just applied to the CF on Chase's site and got instant-approved it seems. Will that even trigger a hard inquiry?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FYI none of the Chase Freedom referral links work anymore as the CF referral program ended a few months ago. And of course it's no longer relevant as you will no longer be able to apply for the card. But apparently CF owners can still refer people to the CFU and still get the bonus, I think.

Speaking of, I just applied to the CF on Chase's site and got instant-approved it seems. Will that even trigger a hard inquiry?

Guessing they were expired because of the new card coming soon.

They did a hard inquiry, yes.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

astral posted:

Guessing they were expired because of the new card coming soon.

They did a hard inquiry, yes.
It was hard, and it was instant, but it was no match for me.

US Bank only gave me a $1,500 line of credit (though that's all I really need to get 5% on utilities every month, and the $150 SUB), but Chase just gave me another $10,600. That increases my available credit by almost 50% with a total of $350 in SUBs lol. That should help keep my utilization <1%.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm surprised I haven't already asked this yet, but if I roll with something like a secured credit card to start generating credit starting from zero, how long will it take to reach a score of 700? That seems to be the standard score qualifier for most credit cards on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Parrotine posted:

I'm surprised I haven't already asked this yet, but if I roll with something like a secured credit card to start generating credit starting from zero, how long will it take to reach a score of 700? That seems to be the standard score qualifier for most credit cards on the market.

The stories I've read indicated that if you've had the secured card for a year without any issues, that's usually good enough for most issuers. Not sure if I noticed any particular score being tossed around.