Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Got frocked today and that dropping "ping" sound I heard while getting my crows put on ended up being important a few minutes later when a Lieutenant Commander congratulated me by shaking my hand and idly slapping my crows.

Congrats! Just don't get hemmed up before getting paid or you'll slide down to IT3.

Funny story, true story, saw that happen to a frocked ISC at the schoolhouse (sexual harassment). Saw him later in my career when I was an IS1 and he was back as an IS1 at a numbered fleet about to retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Funny story, true story, saw that happen to a frocked ISC at the schoolhouse (sexual harassment). Saw him later in my career when I was an IS1 and he was back as an IS1 at a numbered fleet about to retire.

We had a frocked ETN1 get caught reading an e-book on his phone in the engine room...by the XO. He got out as a 3rd class. Good guy, and normally really smart. He just made a bad decision.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nick Soapdish posted:

Congrats! Just don't get hemmed up before getting paid or you'll slide down to IT3.

I’m not sure I understand your warning. I mean I want to...

Did nearly get in trouble the other night. Gonna take a break from drinking but it’s literally the only thing we can do different with the current base restrictions. Rakki is some terrible poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

When you lose a stripe it's based off your pay grade, not what's on your sleeve/pin.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

Did nearly get in trouble the other night. Gonna take a break from drinking but it’s literally the only thing we can do different with the current base restrictions. Rakki is some terrible poo poo.

Just means you're not officially a first yet and if you get busted a rank you'd be busted as a second down to third.

E. Beaten

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
We had a frocked AT2, busted down to ATAN, picked up AT3 again and frocked, busted again, adsepped as ATAA. Quite a roller coaster, and he was mainly a decent guy, just didn't handle alcohol well.

e: also, I have escaped Norfolk. :toot:

Now to just avoid running into a wild fire while driving west.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 22, 2020

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Secondhand from my coworker about her friend, but the story is a lady QM2 was advanced to QM1 via CAP. Made QMC on her first look, but before initiation began she got busted down to QM2 for frat aboard her ship. Transferred out. Made QM1 the next cycle. Got re-selected for QMC on her next opportunity. loving bananas.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Best of luck with that: https://fire.airnow.gov/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Once again and not for the last time thanks for the info. In any case the Navy doesn't approve of my sobering up practice of sitting quietly drinking water and reading a book so the easy thing to do is simply not drink socially anymore. Been a long time since I've been treated as a child and best to just go with the flow. At least I wasn't the group pissing in the bushes or sloppily hitting on Army warrants dockside.

In any case it's all blown over and we are back to staring at an idle sea. Yesterday we got the poo poo pounded out of us from ,lol, 1 meter seas hitting our beam. This ship bucks around worse than a boston whaler in 10ft swells on the west coast. It's nuts.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
One of my IC3s on my first ship got in trouble during a port visit to Hong Kong (drank absinthe, blacked out, and woke up in a water tower on the other side of Kowloon), and the CO busted him down to E-3. A week after the Mast, he found out he selected for IC2. Whoops!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AlternateNu posted:

One of my IC3s on my first ship got in trouble during a port visit to Hong Kong (drank absinthe, blacked out, and woke up in a water tower on the other side of Kowloon), and the CO busted him down to E-3. A week after the Mast, he found out he selected for IC2. Whoops!

That sounds about right for absinthe.

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004
Speaking of NJPs:

My last ship, there was this hotshot MC1. He ended up getting selected for OCS, and even the CO announced it over the 1MC and there was even an article dedicated to this MC1 making it to OCS in the ships weekly magazine. Well he was caught doing frat with his O--2 who worked with him in the media department. They were straight up sending each other raunchy e-mails using their ship e-mail account, and they accidentally CC'd someone on a shore command. They both pleaded to the unintended recipient to delete the email and cover it up.

Nope. Prospective MC1 to Officer ended up being MC2 on restriction, along with the O-2 being put on restriction and being kicked out. r

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The interesting thing about CAP/MAP is that there's no frocking, you actually get advanced to that pay grade on the spot. Normally the folks you select for MAP aren't ones likely to get in trouble, but there are always people willing to prove you wrong.

Yeah, no kidding. The original route I had planned to visit some family has a section of I-70 closed down for fires. Cool map though, I'm definitely gonna bookmark that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Did an unrep at sea! Was pretty cool till we had to sit all geared up in the sun waiting for the tank to top off. Exhausting evolution.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LingcodKilla posted:

Did an unrep at sea! Was pretty cool till we had to sit all geared up in the sun waiting for the tank to top off. Exhausting evolution.

When we'd do those on last ship, the skipper would make one of the JOs stand on the bridge wing with an old school stadimeter to call out distance to tanker.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr. Nice! posted:

When we'd do those on last ship, the skipper would make one of the JOs stand on the bridge wing with an old school stadimeter to call out distance to tanker.

How many got beaned by the shot line?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

LingcodKilla posted:

... In any case the Navy doesn't approve of my sobering up practice of sitting quietly drinking water and reading a book so the easy thing to do is simply not drink socially anymore. Been a long time since I've been treated as a child and best to just go with the flow. ...

I decided to go this route after cold-cocking my LPO in the berthing after a night of "I'm done" "no just one more" for a couple hours. He wasn't drinking with us; we were already back to the ship and I was just too far gone to realize what was going on when the other guys told me to fight him.

My first command had an AD1 aircrewman selected for ADC get busted for coke down to AD2, process for adsep.. Three weeks later, he got caught running a coke ring out of the restricted barracks. BCD as an E1 after court martial. >10 years in. You gotta be a particularly hard-charging sailor to think you can sucessfully run a drug ring out of the restriction barracks while being processed out on a drug charge.

Mr. Nice! posted:

My friend used to make the quartermaster of the watch talk to the other ships in the group using the aldis lamps or flags or basically anything except the radio. They got so good/used to it that they did it while on a joint exercise at night. Just a couple of friends idly BSing about nothing, but using the NVGs during blackout. Really scared the piss out of the other countries' watchstanders. "What means 'latest Maxim cover' we don't have that brevity code" etc.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is a window of time between when most comnav radars lose range resolution but before laser range finders are accurate where stadimeters provide the best distance measurement.

Keeping it going alongside is dumb though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ManMythLegend posted:

There is a window of time between when most comnav radars lose range resolution but before laser range finders are accurate where stadimeters provide the best distance measurement.

Keeping it going alongside is dumb though.

Nah we'd switch to laser until the PnD line was across once we were alongside.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

My friend used to make the quartermaster of the watch talk to the other ships in the group using the aldis lamps or flags or basically anything except the radio. They got so good/used to it that they did it while on a joint exercise at night. Just a couple of friends idly BSing about nothing, but using the NVGs during blackout. Really scared the piss out of the other countries' watchstanders. "What means 'latest Maxim cover' we don't have that brevity code" etc.

My first CMC was a QM, former Signalman, and every free moment he had was him drilling the QMs on semaphore, flag signals, and flashing lights, which none of them had touched since A-school. :v:

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

We had a frocked AT2, busted down to ATAN, picked up AT3 again and frocked, busted again, adsepped as ATAA. Quite a roller coaster, and he was mainly a decent guy, just didn't handle alcohol well.

e: also, I have escaped Norfolk. :toot:

Around 2008 in the "Squeeze" era where they had all these things to kick people out, there was an LS1 I knew who was a swinger-type, didn't come back to the ship on time during a port call to Hong Kong after news his wife was doing more swinging than he was. They called it an ARI, then looked 15 years back into his history to the mid-90s to find another ARI, and that counted as 2x and adsepped him OTH.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, we had a guy who met some friends for dinner, went home, other folks went on to a bar where one of them got an ARI. Command tried to hit the guy who went home early with an ARI as well even though it was like five hours earlier and he had nothing to do with it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, we had a guy who met some friends for dinner, went home, other folks went on to a bar where one of them got an ARI. Command tried to hit the guy who went home early with an ARI as well even though it was like five hours earlier and he had nothing to do with it.

I went to XOI that he dismissed because someone in my shop got an ARI, in home port, for attacking a cop car on base because we walked off the loving brow together.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Was talking with someone the other day and got reminded of the Navy getting rid of the Postal Clerk rate in mid-00s. Like with most things in the Navy when rate mergers happened then you no longer that experts in a field but generalists who suck at everything. Thank you for attending my TEDx talk.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Was talking with someone the other day and got reminded of the Navy getting rid of the Postal Clerk rate in mid-00s. Like with most things in the Navy when rate mergers happened then you no longer that experts in a field but generalists who suck at everything. Thank you for attending my TEDx talk.

My buddy was trained to be a PHAN for VP squadrons.

He's an MC1 now after 14 years because he didn't know anything about journalism or videography when all that occurred.

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004
So I just PCS'd to Yokosuka and got checked in and all that and this is my first paycheck with my ship. I'm going to go to personnel/admin but before I go I want to have an understanding before I ask them questions and I want to see if this is normal or not. I'm just going to go on a whim and say this is not normal by any means and my poo poo is hosed.

Looking at my LES for August, my Entitlements say

BAH: -6,566.00
Advanced Debt: 6,895.00
Sea Pay: 40

This is my first sea tour command. I was living in the barracks at my shore command and during C school / holds I was living in a Navy Lodge.

I thought I was supposed to receive COLA? I thought my sea pay would be at least $50 or 60 (i'm an E-5).

Before I left my shore command, I was getting $8.00 BAH. But when I when arrived to my C school, I was getting BAH payments fluctuating between $500-800 ... So I assume that's where the 'advanced debt' and negative BAH is coming from?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Al Capwn posted:

So I just PCS'd to Yokosuka and got checked in and all that and this is my first paycheck with my ship. I'm going to go to personnel/admin but before I go I want to have an understanding before I ask them questions and I want to see if this is normal or not. I'm just going to go on a whim and say this is not normal by any means and my poo poo is hosed.

This is my first sea tour command. I was living in the barracks at my shore command and during C school / holds I was living in a Navy Lodge.

I thought I was supposed to receive COLA? I thought my sea pay would be at least $50 or 60 (i'm an E-5).

Before I left my shore command, I was getting $8.00 BAH. But when I when arrived to my C school, I was getting BAH payments fluctuating between $500-800 ... So I assume that's where the 'advanced debt' and negative BAH is coming from?

Did you spend it? My policy was if I ever wound up with cash I wasn't supposed to have/seemed strange, I didn't spend it, and just figured that the Navy was going to take that poo poo back, and then contacted personnel.

Also yeah you probably need to go to personnel to get your poo poo sorted.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Al Capwn posted:

Sea pay is probably the easiest to answwr, so Ill start there. Sea pay is prorated for periods <30 days, so I'm guessing you checked into your command around the 17th. If not, there may be an error there--E-5 with 1 year of sea lay should be seeing $70.

Assuming you're single, BAH is only supposed to be awarded if you were living in non government furnished housing during that time, so if you got a bunch of payments for BAH while living in the Navy Lodge, thats probably where that negative BAH came from. If you're in government furnished housing, you get "partial BAH", which is <$50 a month.

You probably signed for a travel advance when you went yo your schools en route. I think a lot of PSs just hand that prefilled out because they don't expect people to just be able to comp hotel fees for a couple of months. If everyone did their math right, you didnt go procure your own stay at a resort, and you kept-or-can-obtain receipts for your hotel stays, your travel claim will probably cash in for a little more than the value of the advance debt. In a month or two.

I'm not sure when COLA eligibility kicks in, but it probably won't be until you're fully processed by PSD, and it sounds like you havent been yet. Sometimes this can lag a couple of months, but you're right to investigate. Do you know if your assigned to the barracks or if toure going to get to live in town? If I remember (and this may not be true any more) E-5s defaulted to barracks, could request from their chain of command to live in town, and the commander had to buy off on the risk of newly arrived E-5s fresh from school violating curfew/quarantine, which isnt exactly unheard of. I'd expect COLA around $14/day, assuming a single E-5, more than 2 years in, but availability of dining hall and government quarters will affect that as well. Definitely bring this up to your LPO/CPO/personnel support and try to get this sorted out, but i think a delay on this one isn't abnormal.

Hope that helped, ask more if it didnt!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

How much BAH did you get on your July LES? How long was your "C" school? Like piL said, you were probably overpaid BAH for some reason. I'm just curious what your entitlements looked like while you were TDY in route.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
wtf is sea pay you get extra money for going on a ship? Unreal

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Yeah, it actually starts to get good around 3+ years but then again you'd want to jump overboard by then. At least it carries over throughout your career

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

Spoken like someone who has never spent time on a ship.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Now i remember it is that thing that we were told under no circumstances to ask the force master chief about when they visited

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

Now i remember it is that thing that we were told under no circumstances to ask the force master chief about when they visited

It did always blow my mind how much the crusty rear end senior chiefs who spent 25 years at sea brought in each month in extra pay.

Totally not worth a lifetime on a Navy ship but still interesting to see from the outside.

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004

DustyNuts posted:

How much BAH did you get on your July LES? How long was your "C" school? Like piL said, you were probably overpaid BAH for some reason. I'm just curious what your entitlements looked like while you were TDY in route.

July BAH was $749. My C school was from Oct19- beginning of April 20, and then I was in holds up until I was able to get plane tickets at the end of July. While I was in ROM in the first half of August, I believe I was still getting BAH as well. My BAH steadily increased as the months went on.

piL posted:

Hope that helped, ask more if it didnt!

Thanks yeah, that clears things up a bit. I wasn't really receiving any other extra payments other than the BAH, and I was getting per diem but that covered the Navy Lodge expense.

Right now I'm living on the ship, and according to the COLA calculator my cola should be like $100, but then will increase to at least $200 or so when I'm able to move out. And yeah my admin wasn't too enthusiastic to helping me in my shore station. I just chose the advance travel pay as that made the most sense at the time.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Al Capwn posted:

July BAH was $749. My C school was from Oct19- beginning of April 20, and then I was in holds up until I was able to get plane tickets at the end of July. While I was in ROM in the first half of August, I believe I was still getting BAH as well. My BAH steadily increased as the months went on.

Thanks yeah, that clears things up a bit. I wasn't really receiving any other extra payments other than the BAH, and I was getting per diem but that covered the Navy Lodge expense.

Right now I'm living on the ship, and according to the COLA calculator my cola should be like $100, but then will increase to at least $200 or so when I'm able to move out. And yeah my admin wasn't too enthusiastic to helping me in my shore station. I just chose the advance travel pay as that made the most sense at the time.

That amount matches BAH-T (transit) for about 9 months, and you're probably entitled to it since you were not living in GOV quarters through your "C" school TDY. I suspect that when the receipts clerk processed your activity gain in NSIPS, they didn't include BAH-T in the transaction, which generated the debt. Definitely talk to them about this! I'm VERY rusty because I haven't been a PS for 8 years, so your results may be different.

https://militarybenefits.info/non-locality-bah-rates/

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

DustyNuts posted:

Definitely talk to them about this!

This, for sure.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

I’m getting like $5 per day or some garbage when I could be getting $90 a day to feed myself if I was at a shore command with no galley.

Yeah you know what I’d pick.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Sea pay is $1500-2000/day plus benefits and gently caress that poo poo I would rather suck dick at the dick sucking factory for minimum wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

Sea pay is $1500-2000/day plus benefits and gently caress that poo poo I would rather suck dick at the dick sucking factory for minimum wage.

Depends on the ship. Currently I’m on sea duty but I wake up at 0730 and days over at 1630 plus I don’t stand a watch unless I volunteer to help the OS or CS out. Usually go to sleep around 2300 or so depending on if I feel tired.