Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/normcharlatan/status/1297335178831040513

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Orders in New Orleans are to prepare for shelter in place. They expect to have all the pumps working by Sunday (98 out of 99 operational right now). They're confident Laura will not get above Cat 1. I don't much like the mayor, but she's a good leader in a crisis so I'm just gonna keep an eye on official reports.

Glad to hear Puerto Rico got spared!

Which means half the pumps will fail within 15 minutes of rainfall.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1297337448222068737

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

these two will be interesting because it will be an inverse of the norm where people ignore the Liddl' Marco hurricane because Marco Rubio is so meek and pathetic, but are terrified of the Laura Loomer one because she is a nightmare creature from the hell dimension. Florida never fails to provide!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Thoguh posted:

Congrats on being an absolute fuckhead.. We had about ten minutes of warning and by the time it got to Chicago it was just a storm so I dunno what the gently caress you are bragging about, though parts of western Illinois got hit hard.

im gonna kick his rear end

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm, gonna be impossible to evacuate for Laura because of Marco. They better be right about it not strengthening.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Stairmaster posted:

im gonna kick his rear end

Sir or Ma'am I am allowed to be angry on the internet about a sperglord bragging that actually the thing that destroyed half of my state and that the recovery workers have been comparing to Katrina in terms of devastation actually isn't a big deal because there was a lot of warning about the storm in Chicago.

Like, for real, gently caress that guy acting like there was warning for the Derecho in the places it actually impacted vs places a four hour drive away.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

oh it's the waterspout version of that recurring nightmare i have, except i can't just realize it's that dream again and wake up

cool, cool cool cool

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Thoguh posted:

Sir or Ma'am I am allowed to be angry on the internet about a sperglord bragging that actually the thing that destroyed half of my state and that the recovery workers have been comparing to Katrina in terms of devastation actually isn't a big deal because there was a lot of warning about the storm in Chicago.

Like, for real, gently caress that guy acting like there was warning for the Derecho in the places it actually impacted vs places a four hour drive away.

lol it killed 4 people and they got the power back on in a week

comparing that damage to katrina is offensive as hell

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Thoguh posted:

nice meltdown lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

fore warning: looks like a storm is brewing in the weather thread

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
real SUPERSTORM SANDY vibes itt lmao

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

a little rain never hurt anyone

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

the wizard of oz was based on a real derecho. you insensitive clod. you impudent freak

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minrad posted:

nice meltdown lol
dude had a fat storm gently caress up his city/town and has been directly helping with recovery efforts and is probably stressed the gently caress out and traumatized, you could at least drop the loving shield of irony and have some loving empathy or just... not post

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Stunt_enby posted:

dude had a fat storm gently caress up his city/town and has been directly helping with recovery efforts and is probably stressed the gently caress out and traumatized, you could at least drop the loving shield of irony and have some loving empathy or just... not post

no

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Minrad posted:

nice meltdown lol

:getout:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

:rip: the Redwoods are gone the old gods are officially dead :rip:

now we can start anew

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

this is the neon genesis evangelion x melancholia future friggin bad rear end imo

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol it killed 4 people and they got the power back on in a week

comparing that damage to katrina is offensive as hell

A lot of people are still without power my man. Also it isn't flooding so the Katrina comparison in terms of damage holds. This was a 50 mile wide tornado. It was hurricane damage but not hurricane flooding. The death toll from Katrina was from the flooding.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Always post.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Thoguh posted:

A lot of people are still without power my man. Also it isn't flooding so the Katrina comparison in terms of damage holds. This was a 50 mile wide tornado. It was hurricane damage but not hurricane flooding. The death toll from Katrina was from the flooding.

wait there's still people without power?

ok my bad, that's p lovely yeah

also you're right, i bet the economic damage to such a large region will be comparable

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wait there's still people without power?

Yeah 2 weeks later and there are still neighborhoods that don't have it. And also a lot of houses that don't even if the neighborhood does because certain lines are owned by the electricity company and others are the responsibility of whoever lives there so if you got a bunch of damage then congrats, you get to hire an electrician to do the wire going in to your house. Hope you can afford it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
one of our friends after katrina had her mom run down and bribe a linesman to fix their street first, after three months of no power

their house was mostly ok but they had to throw out their fridge

no electricity absolutely kills people and long-term fucks up your finances thanks to large appliances like that. two weeks is easily enough time to gently caress a lotta people over

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thoguh posted:

Congrats on being an absolute fuckhead.. We had about ten minutes of warning and by the time it got to Chicago it was just a storm so I dunno what the gently caress you are bragging about, though parts of western Illinois got hit hard.

NOAA issued a severe tstorm watch for central iowa at 9am predicting a derecho

These things don't really come out of the blue, try paying more attention to the forecast

Zeno-25 has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Aug 23, 2020

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The SPC are usually excellent at giving the general range of where severe weather can be expected a day or two in advance, but even they tend to get blindsided by derechos. It's really worth emphasizing that the onset of a derecho is very difficult to predict in advance because of their self-propagating and self-reinforcing nature; in addition, the conditions that initiate them aren't super well understood.

Tornadoes are very localized events; they get a lot of attention, but your chances of actually being hit by a tornado are pretty low (unless you live in Moore, apparently.) There's also the real problem that a derecho is not something that exists in the public consciousness as an "oh poo poo!" the way that a tornado does.

A derecho like that was basically a low-grade tornado across an entire state. How do you prepare for that? Aside from bunkering down to save your own life, how do you limit damage to infrastructure? How do you enact an emergency response when everywhere else in the state is dealing with the same thing? How do you rebuild your life when the corn harvest that you rely on to stay afloat just got decimated, and everyone else you know is in the same boat?

Weather is spectacular and fascinating but remember that the pictures and videos don't really show the true extent of the damage; the people actually affected will be still be picking up the pieces long after you've forgotten about it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Minrad posted:

nice meltdown lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

*Doing army guy on radio voice*skk mission command we got his rear end skk

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The funniest thing about climate change doing nonstop elbow drops from the top of the cage onto US infrastructure is that in 99% of the country, if something breaks it just never gets fixed because nobody spends money on stuff like that anymore. Lol

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Thoguh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkPichBlt8

Before it hit:

10 minutes in:

Near the end of the storm:

it's fuckin wild this thing didn't dominate the news for like a week straight. i guess it didnt kill enough people to be exciting

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Epic High Five posted:

The funniest thing about climate change doing nonstop elbow drops from the top of the cage onto US infrastructure is that in 99% of the country, if something breaks it just never gets fixed because nobody spends money on stuff like that anymore. Lol

most of our water and drainage and sewer systems were built in the 50's and had roughly 50 year design lives, so everywhere is a couple of decades past replacement now

there is an absolutely insane amount of money that the people in charge haven't been spending toward building and maintaining poo poo, look up the ASCE infrastructure grades sometime to see how it breaks down per essential civil engineering system

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Sure, entire sections of a state were wiped off the map, but once that happened I was able to warn my parents that a few hours later they might get some rain and then post smugly about it on the internet.

christ, looking back at the stories, Quad Cities had 106,000 households without power :eyepop:

a quarter of the Quad Cities completely blacked out

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Epic High Five posted:

its epic and win imo

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Victory Position posted:

christ, looking back at the stories, Quad Cities had 106,000 households without power :eyepop:

a quarter of the Quad Cities completely blacked out

In the 2012 Derecho, 1.6 million in MD lost power, ~1 million each in both Ohio and Virginia, 672k in WV, and ~68,000 in DC (which was ~10% of the city's inhabitants, during a 100F+ heat wave). Winds barely broke 90mph, though.

Again, they need to start calling them "Inland Hurricanes" to get people's attention.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Giga Gaia posted:

its epic and win imo

It's great lol, you read a story from like 2006 about a rural bridge collapse that left a whole town with an extra 45 minute commute to get groceries and then you check on it today and its like, yup, still no bridge

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Epic High Five posted:

It's great lol, you read a story from like 2006 about a rural bridge collapse that left a whole town with an extra 45 minute commute to get groceries and then you check on it today and its like, yup, still no bridge

do those rural bridges help elon take us to mars? chek mate

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

there are still like some NY subway stations that didnt reopen after Hurricane Sandy and still lasting damage. i think one of the last ones finally did like last year, 7 years later, in the second richest state in the country lmao

this is basically how it's going to go, and probably not just US but especially so. death by thousands of paper cuts. a town floods, we gawk for a week and then move on as it dies out, maybe arizona becomes unhabitable megadrought wasteland, it gets forgotten, maybe lots of florida get wrecked, just leave it, fires burn down multiple cities in californoa oh well just leave it.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In the 2012 Derecho, 1.6 million in MD lost power, ~1 million each in both Ohio and Virginia, 672k in WV, and ~68,000 in DC (which was ~10% of the city's inhabitants, during a 100F+ heat wave). Winds barely broke 90mph, though.

Again, they need to start calling them "Inland Hurricanes" to get people's attention.

The thing about it is this derecho was exceptionally severe. Most have winds of 60-90 mph, been through more of those than I can remember. However this one had a measured 126 mph and 140 based off of damage estimates.

Add another unprecedented weather extreme in a warming world to the pile i guess

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zeno-25 posted:

The thing about it is this derecho was exceptionally severe. Most have winds of 60-90 mph but this one had a measured 126 mph and 140 based off of damage estimates.

Add another unprecedented weather extreme in a warming world to the pile i guess

Oh, I'm not discounting the fact that this thing was a mid-grade EF3 a few hundred miles long. I'm just saying they might need to be renamed since I'm almost certain they'll become way more common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Derechos usually happen like once every year or two in that region of the midwest, there's really no excuse for ppl there to not be aware of that phenomena. I spent most of my life in Northern IL ffs

Also they are an entirely distinct atmospheric phenomena from a tropical cyclone and you gotta draw the line somewhere. What's next, renaming microbursts? Make the corn hicks learn a Spanish word imo

Zeno-25 has issued a correction as of 06:45 on Aug 23, 2020