Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

What does this do exactly? Is it useful if all my TVs are old plasmas?

It makes it so TVs with a 24hz mode can use it for 24fps content. The motion looks smoother, especially in horizontal pans, than repeating frames on a 60hz screen. The Netflix app doesn't do this, and I miss it when watching Netflix.

Probably doesn't mean poo poo for your old plasma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

It makes it so TVs with a 24hz mode can use it for 24fps content. The motion looks smoother, especially in horizontal pans, than repeating frames on a 60hz screen. The Netflix app doesn't do this, and I miss it when watching Netflix.

Probably doesn't mean poo poo for your old plasma.

oh wow I do have a 2019 LG OLED and I did notice a bit of jutter when a movie would pan, that was probably it. Thank you!

teagone posted:

That's exactly what it does, yeah; basically combines all your HDDs into a single volume that you can point Plex to. My server's 7 HDDs are pooled together and DrivePool creates a new volume from all those drives (that you can assign any drive letter to) and all my Plex library directories are in that new volume.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Drive pool is good, yeah it creates a new drive (SCSI format!) that is blank and has as much space as is free on the pooled drives. Everything you move onto the drive is displayed there and actually sitting in hidden folders on the physical drives. So your movies folder, if huge, might be sitting in two hidden folders on two drives. You can still use the physical drives with visible folders, nothing is locked. If you want to mirror important files it creates multiple copies across the drives.

(4 hdds in my microatx games and plex box)

I bought DrivePool but this is scaring me a bit. What if I have a "NES ROMS" folder on my D: and an "NES ROMS" folder on my F: and I add both the D and F drive to the drivepool? Is it going to show me everything from the two folders combined? I can see that being really confusing.

Also what do you do if a drive dies? Typically I know what I have on each separate hard drive. If a drive dies isn't it basically impossible to figure out what you lost due to DrivePool?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I bought DrivePool but this is scaring me a bit. What if I have a "NES ROMS" folder on my D: and an "NES ROMS" folder on my F: and I add both the D and F drive to the drivepool? Is it going to show me everything from the two folders combined? I can see that being really confusing.

The pooled drive will not have anything in it when you create it. It acts like you basically added a brand new drive to your system; it's empty. The NES ROM folders on those two separate drives will still be there when you open drive D and drive F in Explorer. If you want, you can move your ROM folders over to the newly pooled volume, and the files will be allocated accordingly across your new drive pool.

[edit] That's the nice thing about DrivePool; each physical drive is still accessible/usable "outside" of whatever drive pool you add it to. For example, one of the HDDs in my server is used to store backed up images of my OS/system disk, but still also contributes its available storage space to my drive pool.

[edit 2] For visual reference, here are the drives in my own server:

Drives D through J are all pooled together by DrivePool and make my big rear end, ~12TB Z drive. Anything I store on drives D through J will remain "outside" of the the Z drive. The Z drive is where I store all the directories for movies, tv shows, etc. that I point Plex to, among other things.

quote:

Also what do you do if a drive dies? Typically I know what I have on each separate hard drive. If a drive dies isn't it basically impossible to figure out what you lost due to DrivePool?

If you enable file duplication, nothing will be lost if one of the drives in your pool dies. However, if you don't have duplication enabled, then yeah, it'll be a bit of a headache for recovery.

[edit] Here's a relevant thread on the StableBit forums https://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/2998-dead-drive-what-was-on-it/ — one of the users mentions a DrivePool plugin that essentially prioritizes which drive is used to store what, which is pretty neat.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 13, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I use DriveBender instead of DrivePool, but as far as I can tell it's basically the same thing.

I have two 5TB drives and one 4TB drive pooled together into a virtual drive that's about ~13TB that my entire Plex library lives on. Then I separately have a 5-bay enclosure with a mixture of drives in it that pools to roughly 13TB. This enclosure remains unplugged, except for the once or twice a month that I plug it in and run a backup of the Plex library to the enclosure.

I only have about 1TB of space left in the main pool, which is why I'm on the hunt for cheap 12 or 14TB drives. Once I find a good deal, I'm planning on buying two and using them to replace the 5TB drives in my main pool, which will in turn replace the two smallest drives in my backup pool.

Oh the joys of home computer janitoring!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Oh the joys of home computer janitoring!

I unironically enjoy this aspect of being a PC hobbyist/Plex enthusiast, lmao.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

teagone posted:

I unironically enjoy this aspect of being a PC hobbyist/Plex enthusiast, lmao.

It starts to get old after a while, especially if you do IT/Server stuff as your job too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Huge_Midget posted:

It starts to get old after a while, especially if you do IT/Server stuff as your job too.

Same way I started using Macs after several years of fixing broken Windows PCs

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I just got one of those "Get a lifetime Plex Pass for only $74.99" emails, and I'll tell you what I did to get it: nothing. Just random as far as I can tell.

I got another one maybe a month or two ago, and only decided I wanted to take them up on it after the last deal expired. I emailed their support to see if they could throw me a bone and get me a new code since they were already willing to send me one before -- but they told me to go suck a lemon.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

If you love spending cash their companion programme 'Stablebit Scanner' is a good scandisk utility. It will send you alerts that a drive appears likely to fail, giving you some time to remove that disk from the Drivepool. (which will redistribute the files held on the failing drirve, if you have sufficient remaining space.)

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
is the big advantage of using google drive + plex saving on local storage? Or does the server somehow run from there too? like it seems to me to be pretty inefficient to stream a movie file down to your server from google and then back up again to a remote client connection to your plex server

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

is the big advantage of using google drive + plex saving on local storage? Or does the server somehow run from there too? like it seems to me to be pretty inefficient to stream a movie file down to your server from google and then back up again to a remote client connection to your plex server

It's handy for people who do remote use a lot and have bad upload

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

TheScott2K posted:

It's handy for people who do remote use a lot and have bad upload

But wouldn’t the data have to go down from google to your server and then back up again via your slow upload to a remote client?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

But wouldn’t the data have to go down from google to your server and then back up again via your slow upload to a remote client?

Maybe your server is also cloud based?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

TheScott2K posted:

Maybe your server is also cloud based?

Woah you can do that?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I think my ex- was looking in to a setup like that for her mother, so she could have Plex on her mother’s computer to be able to stream shows to her TV, but have someone else (not her mother, someone more tech and/or piracy literate) be able to add/remove media to the server.

Instead of giving someone access to the mother’s computer, you make it go through a cloud provider and give cloud access to the other people instead.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

Woah you can do that?

This goon who posted earlier has a VPS (virtual private server) with a 40 Gbps connection:

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have, in my opinion, a super sweet tech forward 2020 setup for stuff. It costs me $24 a month, but I like it. I have a VPS with unmetered bandwidth that I installed rClone onto connected to an unlimited Google Drive where I store all my media files. Then just the basic Plex Media Server install connected to the mounted rClone folders. The unlimited Google Drive is $9/m through Google, and then the VPS is $15. It does some other things too, but for the sake of explanation, it’s just a VPS.

Makes it a ton easier for me to connect to my media from wherever and not have to worry about my own personal connection. Bonus is the VPS connection speed being 40Gbps.

It's a "cloud server" with rClone installed that basically enables cloud storage (Box/Google Drive/Dropbox/etc.) mounting.

[edit] Google offers something similar through Google Cloud https://cloud.google.com/ You pay a monthly fee for your own "cloud server" (virtual machine) on a Gbps+ connection that you can remote into.

[edit 2] Oh looks like Google Cloud is pay-as-you-go. Neat.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 14, 2020

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

teagone posted:

This goon who posted earlier has a VPS (virtual private server) with a 40 Gbps connection:

It's a "cloud server" with rClone installed that basically enables cloud storage (Box/Google Drive/Dropbox/etc.) mounting.

[edit] Google offers something similar through Google Cloud https://cloud.google.com/ You pay a monthly fee for your own "cloud server" (virtual machine) on a Gbps+ connection that you can remote into.

Ahh thanks, I guess I misunderstood the VPS part. drat that is kinda slick, I’m running it all off a Synology and using my home connection for everything.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

I’m running it all off a Synology and using my home connection for everything.

99% of Plex users do the same. Doing an all cloud setup for Plex isn't really recommended, but it does have its benefits. Plex even tried implementing its own "Plex in the cloud" type service before quickly shutting it down for reasons. Lol.

Something I experimented with a couple years back was using StableBit CloudDrive to create a cloud storage volume I could mount on my local Plex server at home. What I did was I created a handful of new Google accounts, mounted the 15GB Google Drives from each of those accounts in the CloudDrive app, created a new drive pool with those mounted Google Drives with StableBit DrivePool, and then pointed Plex to that combined cloud storage volume. It worked flawlessly, but the setup is a fair bit tedious, and requires that you have a decent enough upload to store stuff in the mounted cloud storage volume.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Regular cloud providers like AWS/GCP/Azure are gonna get real expensive real quick though.

"Classic" VPS would be fine though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

The pooled drive will not have anything in it when you create it. It acts like you basically added a brand new drive to your system; it's empty. The NES ROM folders on those two separate drives will still be there when you open drive D and drive F in Explorer. If you want, you can move your ROM folders over to the newly pooled volume, and the files will be allocated accordingly across your new drive pool.

[edit] That's the nice thing about DrivePool; each physical drive is still accessible/usable "outside" of whatever drive pool you add it to. For example, one of the HDDs in my server is used to store backed up images of my OS/system disk, but still also contributes its available storage space to my drive pool.

[edit 2] For visual reference, here are the drives in my own server:

Drives D through J are all pooled together by DrivePool and make my big rear end, ~12TB Z drive. Anything I store on drives D through J will remain "outside" of the the Z drive. The Z drive is where I store all the directories for movies, tv shows, etc. that I point Plex to, among other things.

If you enable file duplication, nothing will be lost if one of the drives in your pool dies. However, if you don't have duplication enabled, then yeah, it'll be a bit of a headache for recovery.

[edit] Here's a relevant thread on the StableBit forums https://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/2998-dead-drive-what-was-on-it/ — one of the users mentions a DrivePool plugin that essentially prioritizes which drive is used to store what, which is pretty neat.

Thanks a lot for the info! I would be happy to turn on "file duplication" but I'm a pretty big hoarder (I rip all of my Blu-rays, even TV show box sets, with MakeMKV and then do nothing else besides rename the files) so the idea of having to buy a 2nd set of hard drives is not easy to swallow. Not only would it cost me a couple grand, but I wouldn't have any way to hook up that many drives to the computer any way.

My current backup solution is: the contents on my E, F, G and H drive are really important, so once every few months I plop in one of four 8TB hard drives to my USB hard drive dock and dump all the drives to those. Literally just copy and paste the files from Windows explorer. Then I put the drive in this nice little "hard drive storage case" (basically a padded, hard shell snap case) and leave it on the shelf until I do the same again a few months later.

It's crude and asinine I'm sure, but I can't really think of any better way without spending a small fortune.

I might do the drivepool thing if I can get that setup going on the forum link you provided. I am such an old grognard with the way I do things on PCs that I am a bit nervous but being able to truly utilize all the little bits of free space I have here and there from various hard drives is really tempting.

Chubby Henparty posted:

If you love spending cash their companion programme 'Stablebit Scanner' is a good scandisk utility. It will send you alerts that a drive appears likely to fail, giving you some time to remove that disk from the Drivepool. (which will redistribute the files held on the failing drirve, if you have sufficient remaining space.)

I bought Stablebit Scanner too. It seems great but it keeps texting me that one of my hard drives is overheating (116 degrees F) and it gives me a serial number and the serial number doesn't match any of my hard drives (not to mention the serial number it gives me doesn't even match the proper nomenclature; for example it says the serial number is 86759509358074 meanwhile every one of my drives is Western Digital and all their serial numbers are like 6 characters long and have both numbers AND letters in them. So it's impossible to tell which hard drive is overheating, which isn't a big deal, but will be when one is failing!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Thanks a lot for the info! I would be happy to turn on "file duplication" but I'm a pretty big hoarder (I rip all of my Blu-rays, even TV show box sets, with MakeMKV and then do nothing else besides rename the files) so the idea of having to buy a 2nd set of hard drives is not easy to swallow. Not only would it cost me a couple grand, but I wouldn't have any way to hook up that many drives to the computer any way.

My current backup solution is: the contents on my E, F, G and H drive are really important, so once every few months I plop in one of four 8TB hard drives to my USB hard drive dock and dump all the drives to those. Literally just copy and paste the files from Windows explorer. Then I put the drive in this nice little "hard drive storage case" (basically a padded, hard shell snap case) and leave it on the shelf until I do the same again a few months later.

It's crude and asinine I'm sure, but I can't really think of any better way without spending a small fortune.

Simplest solution would be to just buy a 4-Bay diskless NAS for $200-$300, drop your 8TB drives into that, add the NAS drives to your drivepool, and enable file duplication. That way you can leverage ALL your HDD storage, while also maintaining backups in the event a drive fails. Though, this is all assuming that the added ~32TB of storage would be more than enough to cover your entire content library.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I bought Stablebit Scanner too. It seems great but it keeps texting me that one of my hard drives is overheating (116 degrees F) and it gives me a serial number and the serial number doesn't match any of my hard drives (not to mention the serial number it gives me doesn't even match the proper nomenclature; for example it says the serial number is 86759509358074 meanwhile every one of my drives is Western Digital and all their serial numbers are like 6 characters long and have both numbers AND letters in them. So it's impossible to tell which hard drive is overheating, which isn't a big deal, but will be when one is failing!

That is odd! Does speccy or a similar program give the same temps and hardware ids? Haven't had similar issues but maybe their forum as above or a support ticket might get you some info. I know it's at least manned enough to do license transfers across pcs...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does anyone have issues with plex dropping out of their sonos services? Mine seems to stop working sometimes and then is unable to reconnect to plex when I remove and attempt to re-add in the sonos app..

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

46C is a bit warm for a HDD. Do you have any intake fans blowing cool air over your server's storage drives? You can also use the CrystalDiskInfo utility app to view drive information, including temps, serial/part numbers, and it spits out a bunch of other info to see if a drive is failing or not https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ — see if the info in that app lines up with the info from Stablebit Scanner.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What's the going logic on how Plex Music does its thing regarding identifying media? I've got a decent handle on Shows and Movies, but can't for the life of me coerce the scanner to play ball with a given album. Is there a TVDB sort of DB they're looking to match up against?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

As far as I can tell it pulls music info starting with MusicBrainz, then from AllMusic/etc if the MusicBrainz entry is linked out. If it can't find the album on MusicBrainz it reverts to local info rather than going straight to AllMusic/etc.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
What's the advantage of a Plex Pass? I've been using Plex for several months now - server on my 2017 Shield connected to an external drive for local streaming and currently it's only shared with 1 other person (my folks so I don't have to teach them how to use the torrents).

I'm loving the ability to watch/stream on my local network to my phone or tablet, never thought I'd use it that much but it's great for my music collection.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chubby Henparty posted:

That is odd! Does speccy or a similar program give the same temps and hardware ids? Haven't had similar issues but maybe their forum as above or a support ticket might get you some info. I know it's at least manned enough to do license transfers across pcs...

I tried CrystalDiskInfo and that actually gave the correct serial numbers. No clue where Stablebit is pulling it from though!

teagone posted:

46C is a bit warm for a HDD. Do you have any intake fans blowing cool air over your server's storage drives? You can also use the CrystalDiskInfo utility app to view drive information, including temps, serial/part numbers, and it spits out a bunch of other info to see if a drive is failing or not https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ — see if the info in that app lines up with the info from Stablebit Scanner.

Yep! I have fans directly on them. In all fairness, they only get that hot when I am transferring data to or from them.

teagone posted:

Simplest solution would be to just buy a 4-Bay diskless NAS for $200-$300, drop your 8TB drives into that, add the NAS drives to your drivepool, and enable file duplication. That way you can leverage ALL your HDD storage, while also maintaining backups in the event a drive fails. Though, this is all assuming that the added ~32TB of storage would be more than enough to cover your entire content library.

Cool. I will put a Slickdeals alert on my phone for one of them. Thanks a ton!

nexus6 posted:

What's the advantage of a Plex Pass? I've been using Plex for several months now - server on my 2017 Shield connected to an external drive for local streaming and currently it's only shared with 1 other person (my folks so I don't have to teach them how to use the torrents).

Everyone is going to have a different reason for buying Plex Pass but the big one for me is the Live TV feature. I have an HD antenna on my roof and being able to watch that antenna's feed in any room in the house without having to run coaxial wire to each TV is a godsend. Not to mention the recording feature of it.

I didn't care about being able to sync media; if I wanted to store something locally I'd just copy/paste it from my server. But that seems to be the other big one for people.

Personally I hate having extra bills every month no matter how small so I went for the lifetime pass.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I tried to find an answer to this question but didn’t have any luck, so apologies if it’s been answered before:

Is there a way to turn off the preview image Plex shows while loading a video? I have a ton of movie trailers that I like to shuffle and the preview ruins the surprise sometimes.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Are there any Plex clients that will tonemap HDR content to SDR, AND supports direct play of UHD content while still outputting HD? I'm pretty sure an AppleTV4k will do it, but are there any that don't cost almost 200 bucks? It would have to be a client that supports direct play of UHD material while outputting an HD signal because a) Plex definitely doesn't support HDR to SDR tonemapping when transcoding, and B) my server isn't powerful enough to transocde UHD sources anyway.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

What's the bitrate of those sources? Assuming it's under 40Mbps, a Roku 4k will do it.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Does anyone know of any way to get a roku to play gap-less music via plex ? I'm playing around with PlexAmp, which seems to work pretty well on my phone and my computer, but it would be great to connect to superior sound system. Kind-of frustrating after spending all that time getting Plex to recognize my albums right.

e: Roku or PS4 would be ideal

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Khablam posted:

What's the bitrate of those sources? Assuming it's under 40Mbps, a Roku 4k will do it.

Yeah for the most part they're all well under that bitrate.

Trying to search for HDR to SDR tonemapping with Plex is very difficult because it just brings up a million results of people complaining that Plex can't tonemap when transcoding. I was able to determine that the ATV4k works because ATV's Plex app uses "mpv" as it's playback engine, and mpv does the tonemapping.

Does Roku 4k use "mpv" as it's Plex playback engine? And would any Roku that says it supports 4k be the same?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Tonemapping is one of those things where every time they barf out a feature nobody asked for (PlutoTV But Worse! VR!) I re-remember that they have the attention span of a gnat.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does Roku 4k use "mpv" as it's Plex playback engine? And would any Roku that says it supports 4k be the same?
Not actually sure what player it uses, but any "4k" roku will decode 4k content and tone-map HDR it recognises.
This is the full list:

Most linux ISOs use HEVC and HDR10 (HEVC profile Main 10) in their, er, promo trailers, so most content you find will work fine.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Hi Thread, does anyone know of a way to speed up seeking across a large video file that is being read from a HDD? Even better is there a way to make the Plex server read the whole file into memory when it starts playing and keep it there instead of reading from the HDD?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Smashing Link posted:

Hi Thread, does anyone know of a way to speed up seeking across a large video file that is being read from a HDD? Even better is there a way to make the Plex server read the whole file into memory when it starts playing and keep it there instead of reading from the HDD?

Could a defrag maybe help? I’d wait for someone else to chime in as I’m not sure.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I had a scary weekend, I transferred my Plex library to the HP ProDesk that I had been planning on using as a plex server instead of my desktop, and everything was working smoothly.

My metadata is stored on C:, and the library is on an 4TB USB3 3.5" external. This worked fine before I moved on my normal rig, and apart from being a bit slower on the play/pause, everything seemed to be good.

I had an extra USB3 1TB 2.5" from a couple of years back, I thought why not start using Drivepool as everyone recommended?

So I installed Drivepool, set it to use both the 4tb and the 1tb HDD, and it seemed like that was it. I had it up for a day or two and things were a little choppy, but it seemed like that was how remote playing functioned. A bit laggier than on your home network.

But then my 4TB drive started getting hammered with 100% usage. I thought the drive was on the verge of failing - it's a seagate that has been running on borrowed time, it's twin that I had purchased died long ago. It isn't too important because it's just for videos, but it was kind of annoying because I haven't dealt with a dying hard drive in a while. I disabled SuperFetch and windows defender real time scanning. Still 100% nonstop, and it would make windows grind whenever the disk was being accessed.

I removed both drives from the pool and backed up what I could, and then restarted. I planned on coming back to Drivepool after figuring out my drive situation so I uninstalled it. Now the drive seems to be acting fine, I'm transferring some other stuff off of it fairly easily and it's not pegged at 100% all of the time now.

I bought an 8TB Western Digital external that I hastily plugged into USB, the plan is to shuck and use sata later when I have the time, but what i'm wondering is has anyone had any issues with Drivepool?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I have a weird problem. Sometimes when I play something on Plex, the video will just stop, kind of like it’s buffering, except it doesn’t say it’s buffering. The Plex app on my TV is responsive, but the video just won’t continue.

Here’s the odd part: My first reaction is usually to open Plex on my phone just to see if the server is running. As soon as the Plex app loads on my phone, the video will resume playing on my TV. This is very consistent over the several times the issue has happened. I don’t have to do anything on the phone app other than open it and let the main screen load.

It seems like the server stops being responsive to my TV app for some reason, but when the phone app pings it, it will “wake up,” or something? Is this a common issue?

The server is on a Mac and I use a Fire Stick for my TV, if that makes any difference. This is all on my local network, so I don’t think there are any network/bandwidth issues (I have an ethernet connection and very often I play SD content anyway).

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

tankadillo posted:

I have a weird problem. Sometimes when I play something on Plex, the video will just stop, kind of like it’s buffering, except it doesn’t say it’s buffering. The Plex app on my TV is responsive, but the video just won’t continue.

Here’s the odd part: My first reaction is usually to open Plex on my phone just to see if the server is running. As soon as the Plex app loads on my phone, the video will resume playing on my TV. This is very consistent over the several times the issue has happened. I don’t have to do anything on the phone app other than open it and let the main screen load.

It seems like the server stops being responsive to my TV app for some reason, but when the phone app pings it, it will “wake up,” or something? Is this a common issue?

The server is on a Mac and I use a Fire Stick for my TV, if that makes any difference. This is all on my local network, so I don’t think there are any network/bandwidth issues (I have an ethernet connection and very often I play SD content anyway).

If your client has the experimental player turned on, turn it off. If it's off, turn it on. I find odd playback gremlins like that tend to get solved that way.