Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Why is Star Trek: Lower Decks abbreviated LDS and not STLD or just LD?

TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, DIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

AndyElusive posted:

Rumor (or fancanon, who knows anymore) is that they chose LDS instead of just LD as a reference to a line in Star Trek 4 where Kirk tells Dr. Taylor that Spock did a lot of "LDS" at Berkeley back in the '60s.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
The only think from Beyond that I remember was going on imdb after and being like "oh poo poo that guy was Idris Elba? STRING! WHERE'S WALLACE?"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Let's hire a great actor as our villain, then completely bury his face under prosthetics, muffle his voice, and not bother to explain any of his motivations until halfway through Act 3!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And they spoiled the twist in the trailer, from what I recall? By showing human Idris.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, DIS

So it needs to be three letters long? That's dumb.

Drone posted:

Rumor (or fancanon, who knows anymore) is that they chose LDS instead of just LD as a reference to a line in Star Trek 4 where Kirk tells Dr. Taylor that Spock did a lot of "LDS" at Berkeley back in the '60s.

Welp, I'm now officially ok with this if true.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Memory Alpha is running with LD, insisting that the abbreviation scheme should be either the first three letters of a one-word title (VOY, ENT, DIS) or the first letters of each word in a multiple-word title (TNG, DS9).

Incidentally, one of my favorite things about Memory Alpha has always been the blow-by-blow episode transcriptions that narrate, in exhausting detail, the things that happen on-screen in the most dry, clinical way possible. They completely suck the fun out of what they’re describing, and the LD(S?) summaries don’t disappoint. Check them out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

It's a weird tradition that star trek shows always have a three letter acronym. The head writer tweeted he wanted to be LDS (because of Star Trek 4) and people are running with it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

blastron posted:

Memory Alpha is running with LD, insisting that the abbreviation scheme should be either the first three letters of a one-word title (VOY, ENT, DIS) or the first letters of each word in a multiple-word title (TNG, DS9).

LOW

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

AndyElusive posted:

Latter Day Shite/Superb (delete as applicable)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I laughed at the one-note alien jokes. "Start building a crystal car!"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I laughed at the fact that they were prone to just shouting “Crystals!” at random.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
You know what Star Trek really needs? A romantic comedy starring Quark's brother.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Animal-Mother posted:

You know what Star Trek really needs? A romantic comedy starring Quark's brother.

It was called Deep Space Nine.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

LD works for the show in more ways than 1

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
This is gonna be a weird nitpick but honestly I feel like my biggest gripe with the third episode was how they leaned on the 'protocol protocol protocol' like it was a dang Saturday special or something.

also uhhhhh some rules are written in blood, but hey it's a comedy whatever nothing has to make sense honk honk :^)

MichiganCubbie posted:

Course, I also think Beyond is the best Star Trek movie since FC ... so I might be broken.

I... don't see a problem with ranking Beyond higher than 2009? :confused: Like what else is going to be the best Trek movie since First Contact??

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Anyway I liked third ep better than previous two so I'm actually kind of looking forward to what they've got going for the next episode.

...the gently caress is this ten episode season bullshit? Cheapskates!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Gone is the 22 episode television season, unless you’re on the CW or a Law & Order spin off. Which is a shame, I’d love to see a 22 ep season of Disco where they’ve got time to breathe.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

The_Doctor posted:

Gone is the 22 episode television season, unless you’re on the CW or a Law & Order spin off. Which is a shame, I’d love to see a 22 ep season of Disco where they’ve got time to breathe.

Which is stupid, because Star Trek exists better in the low budget high episode count world than this Michael Bay-esque explosion fest we get now.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Kind of weird that goons are like one of the few communities I see not currently taking a poo poo on Lower Decks.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Kind of weird that goons are like one of the few communities I see not currently taking a poo poo on Lower Decks.

No idea what Internet you're on, but everywhere I've seen anybody not praising new Star Trek poo poo gets banned.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol if your interaction with other trek nerds isn't seriously curated

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Other places online discussing Trek seem to be mad there’s women, POC, gay people, etc in Trek now, and many complaints about how it’s ‘shoving the SJW agenda down people’s throats’, and how it’s now full of ‘leftist propaganda’. I don’t know what Trek they were watching before. :confused:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Super Deuce posted:

No idea what Internet you're on

The_Doctor posted:

Other places online discussing Trek seem to be mad there’s women, POC, gay people, etc in Trek now, and many complaints about how it’s ‘shoving the SJW agenda down people’s throats’, and how it’s now full of ‘leftist propaganda’. I don’t know what Trek they were watching before. :confused:

This one sadly

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

so Reddit or what?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

This one sadly

What annoys me more than anything is it springs up out of nowhere. I’m on a Trek prop group on FB, and someone will make a post about their Disco tricorder or Lower Decks padd (bless the show for making the graphics super clear and readable) they’re building. Invariably someone will completely ignore the actual post’s content where someone is just pleasantly crafting something they like, and instead just diatribe about how the show sucks and old tricorders are better. There are a lot of lovely people.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Other places online discussing Trek seem to be mad there’s women, POC, gay people, etc in Trek now, and many complaints about how it’s ‘shoving the SJW agenda down people’s throats’, and how it’s now full of ‘leftist propaganda’.
To them I say

Super Deuce posted:

Which is stupid, because Star Trek exists better in the low budget high episode count world than this Michael Bay-esque explosion fest we get now.
But also, a lot of old series with 20+ episodes per were full of garbage and/or filler to meet timeframes.
Star Trek is a huge brand now - I don't think you can go low budget anymore even if you wanted to. The expectations of actors, crew, and effects are higher for a recognisable brand (as well as the expectations of the audience) - and rightly so considering the money it makes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

relatively low budget, I think they mean - Star Trek has always been expensive. The only time it ever approached low budget was season 3 of TOS, but seasons 1 and 2 were very expensive productions for the age, and TNG on were some of the more expensive shows on TV. There's just a whole new tier that's been opened up by 'prestige' where you have absurdly high budgets with short, extremely refined (in theory) single ongoing storyline seasons, and the argument is that Star Trek doesn't necessarily belong in that. It could still be a high-end show on the upper end of a standard TV production.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

What annoys me more than anything is it springs up out of nowhere. I’m on a Trek prop group on FB, and someone will make a post about their Disco tricorder or Lower Decks padd (bless the show for making the graphics super clear and readable) they’re building. Invariably someone will completely ignore the actual post’s content where someone is just pleasantly crafting something they like, and instead just diatribe about how the show sucks and old tricorders are better. There are a lot of lovely people.

Facebook is for moms and fascists

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Just based off of nothing but a quick duck duck go search and an incognito mode youtube search behind my VPN, I'm met with an average viewer score of 35% on rotton tomatoes, 3.4 on metacritic, generally every review that isn't a movie studio or something says something along the lines of "it's completely misses the spirit of trek" "easy to consume drivel for the short attention span average rick and morty viewer" "rarr it has womans and minoriteez" "didn't laugh a single time" "trash show from out of touch execs" most videos I've seen listed on youtube is people hating on it or talking about it having poo poo ratings or how "real trek fans" are "cancelling :downswords:" still waiting for RLM to tell everyone what to think.

reddit loves the show however so lol at that comment.

can't comment on Facebook cuz I avoid that like the plague

also for the record I love this show so probably best to not waste any nerd rage on me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Judging by the responses here and online I don’t think people get LD isn’t trying to be traditional ST and it’s breaking people’s minds

It’s not like discovery or Picard who still pretend they are Star Trek whole just being action schlock

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

MikeJF posted:

There's just a whole new tier that's been opened up by 'prestige' where you have absurdly high budgets with short, extremely refined (in theory) single ongoing storyline seasons, and the argument is that Star Trek doesn't necessarily belong in that. It could still be a high-end show on the upper end of a standard TV production.
As a watcher of BBC/UK shows, the idea of 10 - 15 eps being a short season is something that doesn't quite fit in my brain.

I like the ongoing storylines and character development/growth. It's another layer of exploration. I think it's also something that is expected outside of prestige shows because people don't miss episodes anymore.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

still waiting for RLM to tell everyone what to think.
While I do enjoy some of their stuff, this is so much a thing it hurts.
My money's on they won't like it - they seem to have a hard on for TNG, and in my experience, people that bang on about TNG declare just about everything else "not real Star Trek" even though Star Trek has been so many different things.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They aren’t going to cover LD. It’s honest about what it is and they aren’t going to watch a comedy show for i

Though that won’t stop bitter fans from blaming them for opinions they don’t like somehow

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 23, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Judging by the responses here and online I don’t think people get LD isn’t trying to be traditional ST and it’s breaking people’s minds

What I like about LD is that it's got this core of Next Generation that, sure, it's riffing on, but also has honest affection for.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What I like about LD is that it's got this core of Next Generation that, sure, it's riffing on, but also has honest affection for.

I mean yeah but that’s a comedy series. People seem to want character development and character fleshing out but that’s just not what comedies do.

The characters serve the jokes and that it.

Outside of some that do fake sentimentality like Rick and Morty but they suck

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s not like discovery or Picard who still pretend they are Star Trek whole just being action schlock

I don't think you get it's not about being traditional or not. It's about it being quality or not. A comedy version of something isn't a mockery of it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

CharlestheHammer posted:

The question whether it’s quality comedy or not is a valid one and absolutely open to debate. However, there is most definitely a sizable portion of the fan base that for which Trek is sacred and solemn and must be taken as very serious media, because otherwise they have trouble defending being obsessed with a fairly silly sci-fi franchise, and are secretly embarrassed about it.

This actually applies to a lot of nerd franchises.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

LD isn't as technically good as Rick and Morty or Bojack horseman. The writing isn't as tight, the characters aren't as fleshed out, the jokes just aren't as funny. And those were cartoon comedies that were extremely good from the starting gun. But it does have the heart and soul of TNG and understands what Star Trek is about with an optimistic style of storytelling that we've been missing lately. And 'not equal to some of the best comedy in recent years' is not remotely the same as saying it's bad.

It might not be 'laugh out loud' funny but it's inoffensively watchable and good humoured and I will continue to watch it for 22 minutes a week.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Super Deuce posted:

I don't think you get it's not about being traditional or not. It's about it being quality or not. A comedy version of something isn't a mockery of it.

I get it just fine, if you don’t find it funny that’s whatever comedy is subjective but people seem to think it’s going to be Star Trek with jokes. Which...it isn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Every time I see Lower Decks I like it a little bit more. On my personal scale of "True Star Trek" to "Missed the loving Point" Lower Decks is right up there with TOS and TNG. I was ready to write it off as garbage because Discovery was a mess that turned me off and Picard was so bad I wish I never even watched it. Even with the bleeped out swearing it's the only modern Trek I can watch with my kids, who laugh their asses off at it.

I do have one nitpick though. Why are all the second contact missions trying to get them to join The Federation? Shouldn't they have some normal relations for a while first so they can discover everyone is secretly a clone or some poo poo?