Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Recently I've been watching a lot of youtube videos about the Bronze Age Collapse, is there a definitive text on the subject? Particularly interested in the supply chain conditions that led to the complete breakdown of society at that time and what happened during the immediate power vacuum that followed the demise of each regional power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Recently I've been watching a lot of youtube videos about the Bronze Age Collapse, is there a definitive text on the subject? Particularly interested in the supply chain conditions that led to the complete breakdown of society at that time and what happened during the immediate power vacuum that followed the demise of each regional power.

1177 B.C. : The Year Civilization Collapsed by Eric H. Cline

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Alhazred posted:

1177 B.C. : The Year Civilization Collapsed by Eric H. Cline

I'll second that.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think with prompt modern medical care stabbings and shootings are something absurd like 98% survivable if they don't hit you in the brain or heart.

Of course prompt medical care is far from guaranteed so don't go getting in knife fights.

The other 2% say STOP FUSSIN’.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

Milo and POTUS posted:

It seems bad from a gameplay standpoint to have 60 npcs move before the pc.

Nicolaus of Damascus wrote that (other's paraphrasing): "In the Senate, one of the plotters, Tilius Cimber, approached Caesar under the pretext of pleading for his exiled brother. He grabbed Caesar’s toga, preventing him from standing and apparently signalling the attack."

Cimber began the encounter by grappling, Caesar failed his save-or-die and that's all she wrote.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alhazred posted:

Getting a small wound before people discovered the benefit of disinfection was also bad.

Buddy, people, as a collective, have still not discovered the benefit of disinfection.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Lucius Calidus Eroticus (yes, really) was a freed slave who probably lived during the first half of the first century AD together with his wife Fannia Voluptas (yes, REALLY) in or around Aesernia (today’s Isernia) about 150 kilometres southwest of Rome. He is only known by his highly unusual epitaph, which not only shows a hooded man with a mule (interpreted as Eroticus himself - er, the man and not the mule, that is) and another man seen as an innkeep, but also writes out a joke dialogue between the two. The epitaph reads:

Lucius Calidus Eroticus made this epitaph for himself and Fannia Voluptas. „Innkeep, the bill please!“ - „You had a sextarius of wine and bread for one as, side dishes for two asses.“ - „Ok.“ - „A girl for eight asses.“ - „Yeah.“ - „Hay for the mule, two asses.“ - „This mule is gonna ruin me!“

It is commonly assumed that Eroticus and Voluptas were both running a brothel/inn themselves, and Aesernia being located at a prominent crossroads would certainly facilitate that. On the other hand, sometimes a joke is just a joke and we now also know that the couple's names both weren’t so curious as they appear to us nowadays but were instead quite common, so they probably weren’t supposed to be read as programmatic like the one historian thought who translated their names as "Lucius Hotstuff Lover" and "Fannia gently caress" :v: So, was this epitaph intended to reference the deceased couple's lives or was it instead just the Roman version of our "A man walks into a bar..." jokes aiming to make passersby smile? Nobody knows.

e: and it just occurred to me that this is simply a 2000 year old variation of the dril tweet with the candles, lol

System Metternich has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Aug 23, 2020

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

System Metternich posted:

e: and it just occurred to me that this is simply a 2000 year old variation of the dril tweet with the candles, lol

That's my take as well

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
British Fanny or American

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The mule is cracking up lol

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
From https://medium.com/@voshart/photoreal-roman-emperor-project-236be7f06c8f

quote:

Using the neural-net tool Artbreeder, Photoshop and historical references, I have created photoreal portraits of Roman Emperors. For this project, I have transformed, or restored (cracks, noses, ears etc.) 800 images of busts to make the 54 emperors of The Principate (27 BC to 285 AD).

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

The year of the four emperors... nice

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Love that call from Vespasian where orders pants and gives detailed specifications to make them loose around his "bunghole."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Melaneus posted:

The year of the four emperors... nice

I don't see what's so special about LXIX.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hmm those ranges start out pretty long but then they... decline for some reason

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Scaramouche posted:

Hmm those ranges start out pretty long but then they... decline for some reason

Reign length is often inversely proportional to the hotness of the emperor. Or maybe the beauty standards for emperors just got higher over time

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Maxx Thraxx would be an awesome band name.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Maximinus Thrash

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

I guess the pun "mule/asses" wasn't a pun in latin, right? It's just how the roman currency was translated into english, right?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Wipfmetz posted:

I guess the pun "mule/asses" wasn't a pun in latin, right? It's just how the roman currency was translated into english, right?

Yeah, no pun here - the as was a common Roman coin produced from about 280 BC to ~280 AD and derived from a really ancient unit of weight, the aes (which means just "bronze") and where the oldest extant Roman finds date back to the 8th century BC (but possibly went back much further, with current scholarship suggesting that bronze nuggets with an unknown name might have been used as proto-coinage all over Europe as early as the 3rd millennium BC). It evolved into the currency unit of as over the centuries, whose Latin plural was asses (with the e pronounced like in "test", but long). Fun fact: the ace in card games gets its name from the aes/as of Roman times!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Again... what type of Fanny. I assume american?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

alright, here we go

yes, no, yes, yes, no, yes, no...

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Babe Magnet posted:

alright, here we go

yes, no, yes, yes, no, yes, no...

Nobody wants to gently caress Nero.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Trabant posted:

Nobody wants to gently caress Nero.

It's the yellow shirts.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
For me Claudius Gothicus looks most "modern" of the bunch, or the one i could most easily imagine on the street without looking out of place.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Falukorv posted:

For me Claudius Gothicus looks most "modern" of the bunch, or the one i could most easily imagine on the street without looking out of place.

Augustus looks a lot like Daniel Craig if Daniel Craig gave himself a bowl cut

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

Elgablus looks exactly like the kind of awkward teen you would expect.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

drat, Nero looks like a goon.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You could Photoshop the pair of them into one of those crusty old Goon Meet photos and if you did a halfway decent job no one would notice

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Fighting Trousers posted:

maybe they just used ramzan kadyrov's pic:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Falukorv posted:

You can just say he's the hottest. Its cool. We were all thinking it.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Fighting Trousers posted:

This is the emperor sporting a neckbeard on his statues, so yeah.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Terry O'Quinn! That's who Vespasian reminds me of!

And Numerian could be Tim Duncan's cousin.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think Didius Julianus remodeled my kitchen

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Elagabulus looks like a Tinder dude who insults you if you don't reply to his skeevy messages

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
The legend lists two footnote options: "killed" and "suicide" so what's the deal with Geta?

Also Elagabulus is the cashier at the gas station who has to call his manager if you want to buy liquor.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Atticus_1354 posted:

Hostilian looks like a total fuckboy

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

wheatpuppy posted:

The legend lists two footnote options: "killed" and "suicide" so what's the deal with Geta?

Geta was Caracalla's brother and co-emperor. They hated each other's guts, so much so that they put a dividing wall in the imperial palace, fearing assassination attempts.
Their mother wanted to reconcile them, so arranged for a meeting in her quarters, with both emperors not allowed to bring any bodyguards in. Caracalla, being the bigger rear end in a top hat, brought his bodyguards anyway and had his brother murdered right in front of their mother.
I don’t like Caracalla very much.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Atticus_1354 posted:

Listen, if we're going to do this we might as well do it properly:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They're Roman emperors, I think you're obligated to gently caress, marry, then kill all of them