Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, GW paint is the most expensive of any brand by a significant margain. On top of coming in the worst paint pots ever. Contrast is a great line, and some of their technical paints are wonderful. It's fine as paint though and if you're already using it being able to stick to the exact same color you already use is far easier. But I wouldn't buy any of their main line unless I was looking for something very specific.

Vallejo, Scale 75, Pro Acryl, Warcolours, Army Painter, P3, Reaper, and I am sure there's other brands I am missing. All of them have pros and cons and are stuff I'd look at before GW for someone entering the hobby. Vallejo is the easiest recommendation to most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah I picked up the Vallejo game color box for what like 40 bucks and it's 15 paints or something?

I think there's some value in picking up the bare minimum of GW-centric colors like Castellan Green for Cadian troops, because there's something rewarding about painting up a guy and having him look like the box art. But generally speaking, add white to make highlight colors, use other brands for generic colors, etc.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think I mentioned it before in the mini painting thread but the Brushrage app has paint color matches/close variants across lots of brands.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm still trying to find an exact match for P3's Skorne Red. I use it for all my Orks and since Privateer Press is self destructing I want to either find a match or get a ton of it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm on the hunt for a cheaper Mephiston Red but there's just no analog

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
I guess people kept walking into the barrels on these?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BadMedic posted:

So this has probably been asked dozens of times, but is there a resource to colour match citadel paints to other brands?
My friend got me a Tau starter army kit, and I really don't want to blow $200 CAD on all the paints GW recommends for me.

Dude when starting out you can get by with 3 main colors, 2 washes*, and then like 2 highlight colors if you're feeling really fancy. With contrast paints you can get so much done so quickly too. You really don't need 40 different paint colors. As you go along you can pick up a paint at a time like "I really want purple for this one tiny detail so gently caress it time to get a pot" then over time your set grows into an embarrassingly lopsided spectrum where you somehow have 6 different shades of green but only 2 blues. A lot of the fun of this hobby is coming up with a paint scheme that you love and is your own for your own little army of plastic spacemen. So pick stuff that looks cool to you. I'm almost done with a tau army that actually got their color scheme from some paints that I bought to paint space wolves and then realized I could do a naval officer theme with it so that's how I've painted my tau. I did lean pretty hard into the Telnyashka aesthetic on the battlesuits and it amuses me to no end.

Hell, so long as you get all the elementary school main colors you can mix them together to make almost any other color. I wouldn't suggest that the main color of your army be something you have to painstakingly mix together in just the right amounts so it looks consistent, but if you're doing a fancy model and think "drat I wish I had a lighter red for this" then just mix white into your red until you get what you want so you don't have to be like me and have 6 different shades of green but only 2 blues.

However I will say that some of the technical paints are worth it and are huge time savers. Nihilakh Oxide is awesome for verdigris weathering and can be pretty neat at putting into gaps to make glow effects. Typhus corrosion is perfect for gritty grime and if you drybrush it then you can get some nice rust effects. I'm a big fan of the gemstone technicals for lenses on my tau

*Get nuln oil and agrax earthshade. They're amazing.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I today bought some paints ready for my Keeper of Secrets and reflected on just how much of the citadel colour range I own and which colours are underrepresented. Despite the fact both my Grey Knights and Cadians are boring monochrome style armies (silver and gold for grey Knights, with a dash of red, white and black, and grey and black with a bit of silver for my guardsmen) I have like 5 different shades of blue, 4 different shades of green, and now 4 different shades of purple. Yellow is probably the worst represented colour with a mere two colours.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.twitch.tv/warhammer

This weekend's preview stream is about to start.

Edit:
If you want Night Lords termies then the "best" game has your back.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 22, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I'm on the hunt for a cheaper Mephiston Red but there's just no analog
is vgc bloody red not basically the same? I have both, I’m gonna investigate

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Not even close lol

E: loving citadel pots

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dude when starting out you can get by with 3 main colors, 2 washes*, and then like 2 highlight colors if you're feeling really fancy.
*Get nuln oil and agrax earthshade. They're amazing.

Thanks, I will just get those colours then.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Vallejo Heavy Red is supposedly close, but just a little darker.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Interdimensional Planes Drifter (Hexmark Destroyer). He's a necron, with a lot of guns!

Going to link the reveal video because it's fantastic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyMV7DTes6Q

https://twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1297162539445432326

Also GW unveiled an opportunity to make Elysian Drop Troops, or Harakoni Warhawks.

And Crusade is getting its first expansion book, mainly focused around the Pariah Nexus.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 22, 2020

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Repost from the 30k thread, but I decided (after getting a deal on ebay) to take my first crack at a Night Lord/Primarch. I'm not great with taking pictures still and I think he looks a lot better in person, but here's my Night Haunter!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Got myself all worked up based on nothing that we were going to see those new Orks. :(

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Outriders done!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wonder when the made2order indomituses will start shipPing

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 22, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder when the made2order indomituses will start shipling

I mean they said up to three months and stopped taking orders towards the back end of June? So could be anywhere up to the end of September I would guess.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I recently had a video pop up on my youtube reccomendations about a old warhammer paint set unboxing/painting, and it's woken up my 40k beast from it's 20year slumber. Since then I have not only found the first ever space marine & chaos warrior I ever attmpted to paint when I were a babby, I found all my ye olde Necrons too. Now I've got the latest paint & tool set and I'm eyeing up shittly painted models on Ebay that kids mums are selling cheap. :ohdear:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Kitchner posted:

I mean they said up to three months and stopped taking orders towards the back end of June? So could be anywhere up to the end of September I would guess.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/13/missed-indomitus-well-make-you-one/

It could easily be December before they show up, if you end up closer to the 120 day mark from the end of July.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Cross-postin some tankage

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I started painting the Space Marines from the 40k Recruit Edition. Couldn't decide what chapter, and I only planned to use them to teach my daughter how to play, so I went with Ultramarines. I have to say, it's relaxing, almost zen-like, to paint Ultramarines. Anything that isn't blue is gold and vice-versa; maybe there's some red in there as well, with small bits of metal. I'm not going to post pictures because you've all seen Ultramarines before.

Yesterday she asked me, "When are we going to play?" I was working, so I said tomorrow. "But daddy, they're not all painted yet!" So... what age do you tell your children about the myth of fully painted armies?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

LifeLynx posted:

I started painting the Space Marines from the 40k Recruit Edition. Couldn't decide what chapter, and I only planned to use them to teach my daughter how to play, so I went with Ultramarines. I have to say, it's relaxing, almost zen-like, to paint Ultramarines. Anything that isn't blue is gold and vice-versa; maybe there's some red in there as well, with small bits of metal. I'm not going to post pictures because you've all seen Ultramarines before.

Yesterday she asked me, "When are we going to play?" I was working, so I said tomorrow. "But daddy, they're not all painted yet!" So... what age do you tell your children about the myth of fully painted armies?

I actually think this is where the GW idea of "battle ready" and "parade ready" is a great idea.

Getting an army to "battle ready" is well achievable in a relatively short period of time. Having a "parade ready" army should be a really long term goal.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Kitchner posted:

I actually think this is where the GW idea of "battle ready" and "parade ready" is a great idea.

Getting an army to "battle ready" is well achievable in a relatively short period of time. Having a "parade ready" army should be a really long term goal.

My parade army goal is so long I haven't achieved it in over a decade.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

I also got the recruit box and have painted 1.5 models so far.

Going to try paint at least the 6 space marines before buying anything else. It's fun but it takes me forever

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Speckled Jim posted:

I guess people kept walking into the barrels on these?

I'm really taken with this bright design. What did you use for the weathering? Looks like hairspray?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

richyp posted:

Cross-postin some tankage

This rules

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Armies and lists are definitely not created equal when it comes to the time and effort needed to get them up to a tabletop standard, either. And it can be pretty frustrating when you're a poo poo painter who takes a long time to get mediocre results (like, uhh, me) and you're constantly comparing yourself even to the other people at the store - one of whom, in my case, buys a new army for 40k or AoS every 3-6 months to chase the meta and pays someone else a fortune to paint the whole thing.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

Not even close lol

E: loving citadel pots

Looks much closer to vgc scarlet red

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Snail Information posted:

I'm really taken with this bright design. What did you use for the weathering? Looks like hairspray?

Yep hairspray it is.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Kinetica posted:

My parade army goal is so long I haven't achieved it in over a decade.

I mean mines the same really. Before I got back into the hobby I had half a Grey Knight army (used to be an inquisitorial army so had a bunch of storm troopers) that was 75% painted to "battle ready" and an imperial guard army that was huge, so while it was like 80% "battle ready" I could muster 2000 points of battle ready stuff.

When I got back into it all I've started repainting the guardsmen squad by squad, and not putting tons of effort in, just edge highlighting each one and hand painting the Cadia logo and squad numbers so they don't look shite on their shoulders. By my estimate this is taking me 2 hours per guardsman, and I have 100+ guardsmen. Plus characters, plus tanks.

Now technically if I look at some video games I've wracked hundreds of hours of playing them, but normally that is over the space of several years, and honestly it's really hard to motivate yourself to paint generic guardsman number 59 and less hard to motivate yourself to play video games (for most people anyway).

I honestly think, particularly if you take a hiatus, not achieving "parade ready" for your army for years or a decade is totally understandable.

Baku posted:

Armies and lists are definitely not created equal when it comes to the time and effort needed to get them up to a tabletop standard, either. And it can be pretty frustrating when you're a poo poo painter who takes a long time to get mediocre results (like, uhh, me) and you're constantly comparing yourself even to the other people at the store - one of whom, in my case, buys a new army for 40k or AoS every 3-6 months to chase the meta and pays someone else a fortune to paint the whole thing.

This is for sure true, elite armies favour people looking to paint their models, particularly to that parade ready standard.

One of the things I learnt ages ago is that it really helps to be honest with yourself about your priorities in this hobby and what you want to sped your time and money on. Could you learn to paint all your models in your army to a pretty good standard? Yes, I don't think anyone can't become a good painter with practice and learning new techniques.

Everyone would like to magically have a extremely well painted army to play with, that looks just like the box art, but that takes time or money, and some people like in your example can just spend the money. It's frustrating, but most hobbies are a bit like that, where people who are loaded can turn up with the best gear or whatever.

So off you're relying on yourself, what really matters? Are you really, honestly, one day, going to go back and paint all your models to an extremely high standard? Because if the answer is no, there's tons of people who teach speed painting techniques that, you could paint on top of, but it will be tricky. If the answer is yes, then the GW "battle ready" standard is base colours, washes, and a base, which is pretty fast. Doesn't look as good, but it's just the steps you'd likely do if you are painting them to a high standard anyway.

When my chaos army turns up, it's essentially getting that "battle ready" standard across all models, which shouldn't take too long. Then I'm going to paint the forge world keeper of secrets (no battle ready for her) then I'm going to return to the army to finish painting it.

Before I can do that though, my goal is to have both my Imperial crusade armies to "parade ready". That still leaves another ten guardsmen, a couple of scions, a couple of sentinels, my bullgryn and a bunch of grey Knights to finish.

So yeah the chaos guys are probably going to kick around not looking amazing for a while, but luckily they are an elite army (doubly so when 25% of your points is spent on a greater daemon) so I know I don't mind setting myself a goal to paint them all to a high standard.

If I had just started out and said "you know what, all 5,000 points of my guardsmen should be edge highlighted" I think I'd have given up in despair.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Kitchner posted:

I mean mines the same really. Before I got back into the hobby I had half a Grey Knight army (used to be an inquisitorial army so had a bunch of storm troopers) that was 75% painted to "battle ready" and an imperial guard army that was huge, so while it was like 80% "battle ready" I could muster 2000 points of battle ready stuff.

When I got back into it all I've started repainting the guardsmen squad by squad, and not putting tons of effort in, just edge highlighting each one and hand painting the Cadia logo and squad numbers so they don't look shite on their shoulders. By my estimate this is taking me 2 hours per guardsman, and I have 100+ guardsmen. Plus characters, plus tanks.

Now technically if I look at some video games I've wracked hundreds of hours of playing them, but normally that is over the space of several years, and honestly it's really hard to motivate yourself to paint generic guardsman number 59 and less hard to motivate yourself to play video games (for most people anyway).

I honestly think, particularly if you take a hiatus, not achieving "parade ready" for your army for years or a decade is totally understandable.

This is for sure true, elite armies favour people looking to paint their models, particularly to that parade ready standard.

One of the things I learnt ages ago is that it really helps to be honest with yourself about your priorities in this hobby and what you want to sped your time and money on. Could you learn to paint all your models in your army to a pretty good standard? Yes, I don't think anyone can't become a good painter with practice and learning new techniques.

Everyone would like to magically have a extremely well painted army to play with, that looks just like the box art, but that takes time or money, and some people like in your example can just spend the money. It's frustrating, but most hobbies are a bit like that, where people who are loaded can turn up with the best gear or whatever.

So off you're relying on yourself, what really matters? Are you really, honestly, one day, going to go back and paint all your models to an extremely high standard? Because if the answer is no, there's tons of people who teach speed painting techniques that, you could paint on top of, but it will be tricky. If the answer is yes, then the GW "battle ready" standard is base colours, washes, and a base, which is pretty fast. Doesn't look as good, but it's just the steps you'd likely do if you are painting them to a high standard anyway.

When my chaos army turns up, it's essentially getting that "battle ready" standard across all models, which shouldn't take too long. Then I'm going to paint the forge world keeper of secrets (no battle ready for her) then I'm going to return to the army to finish painting it.

Before I can do that though, my goal is to have both my Imperial crusade armies to "parade ready". That still leaves another ten guardsmen, a couple of scions, a couple of sentinels, my bullgryn and a bunch of grey Knights to finish.

So yeah the chaos guys are probably going to kick around not looking amazing for a while, but luckily they are an elite army (doubly so when 25% of your points is spent on a greater daemon) so I know I don't mind setting myself a goal to paint them all to a high standard.

If I had just started out and said "you know what, all 5,000 points of my guardsmen should be edge highlighted" I think I'd have given up in despair.

This. When I got back into it, my Eldar were barely battle ready from my younger years, and poor skill. I had aspirations to repaint almost all of it but the two wraithguard squads and wraithlord I got to finally finish the list took me so long to paint, no way am I redo it all.

I'll do an updated farseer, repaint my spiders (because I love them), redo my maugan ra, and probably call it. I'll touch up minor details I botched before, but the task of redoing all of it will demotivate me so much I'd probably quit the hobby again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Sisters of Battle Squad has been stuck at the post office down the road for three days now all because the current president wants to rig the election.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

I said come in! posted:

My Sisters of Battle Squad has been stuck at the post office down the road for three days now all because the current president wants to rig the election.

It is insane how this is shaking out. I live in PA, but not around Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, and our mail hasn't seemed to be impacted at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jassi007 posted:

It is insane how this is shaking out. I live in PA, but not around Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, and our mail hasn't seemed to be impacted at all.

At first here it wasn't that bad, but now we are going 3 - 4 days at a time without getting any mail.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Took my first shot at a marine. Freehanding is hard :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

jassi007 posted:

Same I'm out closer to Amish country in PA and it's been fine.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

Took my first shot at a marine. Freehanding is hard :(

Looks pretty good to me. Only streaking I notice is on the shoulder pad. Do love the blue you did for the armor. Not to mention the base is great as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Spiv posted:

This. When I got back into it, my Eldar were barely battle ready from my younger years, and poor skill. I had aspirations to repaint almost all of it but the two wraithguard squads and wraithlord I got to finally finish the list took me so long to paint, no way am I redo it all.

I'll do an updated farseer, repaint my spiders (because I love them), redo my maugan ra, and probably call it. I'll touch up minor details I botched before, but the task of redoing all of it will demotivate me so much I'd probably quit the hobby again.

Yeah, I think this is where Crusade can be quite good, because you are more attached to the units and it's a much smaller goal to get to a good standard. Then even if you own the units you can only add them slowly, and you can't necessarily field your entire roster every game, so i'm planning to use it as a sort of goal for my painting.