Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CharlestheHammer posted:

I get it just fine, if you don’t find it funny that’s whatever comedy is subjective but people seem to think it’s going to be Star Trek with jokes. Which...it isn’t.

Star Trek with jokes is The Orville. Which a lot of people very, very vocally love, and can't stop talking about how it's "Real Star Trek again!!!" Which...eugh. I strongly disagree with. The comedic formula of "A middling episode of Voyager that screams to a halt every once in a while so Seth McFarlane can do his 'What's the deal with airline peanuts in space?!?'" leaves me cold more often than not. The show seems to recognize that classic Star Trek had difficult moral dilemmas that the crew would have to struggle with, yet seems singularly disinterested in honestly dealing with the moral dilemmas it presents. Whereas a Next Generation episode might have Picard grappling with both sides of a really thorny ethical problem, The Orville more often than not presents that as "Aliens are being stupid and unreasonable! We know we're right, but the admiral says we can't do anything because PLOT! We'll do what we know is right anyways, and suffer no consequences!"

That said, The Orville has its charm. It hits the nostalgia button pretty effectively. But I definitely prefer Lowe Decks, so far. At least it chose a genre and tone and sticks with them.

EDIT: I'm not going to change my typo in the last bit because it's obviously a Freudian slip in regards to my particular distaste for that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I get it just fine, if you don’t find it funny that’s whatever comedy is subjective but people seem to think it’s going to be Star Trek with jokes. Which...it isn’t.

So let's get this straight.

An attempted Star Trek comedy series != Star Trek with jokes. What exactly is it, then?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Strong Convections posted:

As a watcher of BBC/UK shows, the idea of 10 - 15 eps being a short season is something that doesn't quite fit in my brain.

Oh come on, the BBC thought having to open a can of filmstock was a shocking extravagance. :v:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CharlestheHammer posted:

People seem to want character development and character fleshing out but that’s just not what comedies do.

Yup. Bojack Horseman, Community, The Good Place, The Orville, Adventure Time... none of these have had any character depth or development whatsoever since comedies don't do that. :wtc:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Super Deuce posted:

An attempted Star Trek comedy series != Star Trek with jokes. What exactly is it, then?

I basically just covered that in my post directly above yours. Star Trek is not traditionally a comedy series. Sure, it has comedic moments, but it has always had the tone and themes of a drama/adventure show. Star Trek, as it has always been, with jokes is The Orville; a drama/adventure show with jokes (in my opinion) unevenly inserted into the narrative. Lower Decks isn’t Star Trek with jokes. It’s a comedy show, with the themes, tone, pacing, and characters that come with that, set in the Star Trek continuity. It’s a very important distinction.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

There's just a whole new tier that's been opened up by 'prestige' where you have absurdly high budgets with short, extremely refined (in theory) single ongoing storyline seasons,

I'm really glad you threw in the "(in theory)" there because I feel like this concept has not been paying off nearly as much as was foretold (not about Star Trek, just in general).

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

I basically just covered that in my post directly above yours. Star Trek is not traditionally a comedy series. Sure, it has comedic moments, but it has always had the tone and themes of a drama/adventure show. Star Trek, as it has always been, with jokes is The Orville; a drama/adventure show with jokes (in my opinion) unevenly inserted into the narrative. Lower Decks isn’t Star Trek with jokes. It’s a comedy show, with the themes, tone, pacing, and characters that come with that, set in the Star Trek continuity. It’s a very important distinction.

That's asinine, lol. If it's not Star Trek it's not Star Trek. The jokes part is what is meant to set it apart.

Also, nobody calls The Orville "Star Trek with jokes" to mean it's literally Star Trek. They say that to mean it's similarly set. Lower Decks is literally Star Trek with jokes. Well, so far without jokes, but that's their intention.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Super Deuce posted:

That's asinine, lol. If it's not Star Trek it's not Star Trek. The jokes part is what is meant to set it apart.

Also, nobody calls The Orville "Star Trek with jokes" to mean it's literally Star Trek. They say that to mean it's similarly set. Lower Decks is literally Star Trek with jokes. Well, so far without jokes, but that's their intention.

I don’t know if it’s deliberate (I’m inclined to think it is, given your tone in this thread up til now), but you seem to have either misunderstood or mischaracterized everything I said.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

I don’t know if it’s deliberate (I’m inclined to think it is, given your tone in this thread up til now), but you seem to have either misunderstood or mischaracterized everything I said.

The person I initially responded to literally said a Star Trek comedy series isn't a Star Trek series with jokes.

Whatever else you're trying to explain will never refute how stupid that is.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Super Deuce posted:

The person I initially responded to literally said a Star Trek comedy series isn't a Star Trek series with jokes.

Whatever else you're trying to explain will never refute how stupid that is.

I explained, quite clearly, how he was right. You countered by being needlessly pedantic and literal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s Family Guy in space. Ironically, unlike The Orville.

One dimensional, serving up jokes that people love or hate, polarizing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

Exactly. Lower Decks is, ironically, what everyone thought The Orville would be, whereas The Orville is what some people seem to think Lower Decks should be.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

I explained, quite clearly, how he was right. You countered by being needlessly pedantic and literal.

Then it's not Star Trek is it? I don't get how this is so complicated. You're saying a Star Trek series isn't Star Trek, but in some kind of positive way. You're gatekeeping in the dumbest way.

You're mistaking an elevator pitch with what it actually is.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Super Deuce posted:

Then it's not Star Trek is it? I don't get how this is so complicated. You're saying a Star Trek series isn't Star Trek, but in some kind of positive way. You're gatekeeping in the dumbest way.

You're mistaking an elevator pitch with what it actually is.

Again, you’re just being pointlessly literal. “It’s Star Trek because Star Trek is in the name!!!”, ignoring that Star Trek has had an established genre and (admittedly looser) tone since before many of us were born. This show is the first big departure from that genre and tone, hence it’s not “Star Trek”.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's Star Trek if the people who own the copyrights say it is, any philosophical underpinning this thing may have had probably went out the window back in 2009

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

Again, you’re just being pointlessly literal. “It’s Star Trek because Star Trek is in the name!!!”, ignoring that Star Trek has had an established genre and (admittedly looser) tone since before many of us were born. This show is the first big departure from that genre and tone, hence it’s not “Star Trek”.

"It was important to me that if you know everything about Star Trek and you watch this show then it fits into canon and doesn’t break Star Trek" - Mike McMahon, show runner Star Trek: Lower Decks

"Within Lower Decks, there is a proper in-canon Star Trek show." Another one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm really glad you threw in the "(in theory)" there because I feel like this concept has not been paying off nearly as much as was foretold (not about Star Trek, just in general).

Well the idea with it is that with the shorter seasons you have at least the first draft of the entire season's scripts done before you start filming, so you can properly pace it all out and tie back plot elements and foreshadow as one big narrative with great payoffs without any unexpected issues cropping up later on in the writer's room. But of course, as we know, Discovery at the very least was rushed out and literally being written and rewritten as they filmed in some cases and it seems like a lot of networks trying the prestige thing are looking at that extra time as... well, buffer time that can be eliminated, to tie back to Lower Decks this week. After all, they never needed to write the entire season first before! So the coherency effect of the preplanning never ends up happening.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 23, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A multi-page argument about something this dumb and pedantic is extremely Star Trek, however

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phylodox posted:

Exactly. Lower Decks is, ironically, what everyone thought The Orville would be, whereas The Orville is what some people seem to think Lower Decks should be.

Actually, both are good

You can't please everyone, OP.
In this case, you

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

LDS is nowhere near as racist or misogynistic as Family Guy is.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Super Deuce posted:

”It was important to me that if you know everything about Star Trek and you watch this show then it fits into canon and doesn’t break Star Trek" - Mike McMahon, show runner Star Trek: Lower Decks

"Within Lower Decks, there is a proper in-canon Star Trek show." Another one.

This is like talking to a brick wall. I’m talking about tone, genre, and characterization and you’re countering with quotes about continuity. Nothing you just quoted contradicts, or even really speaks to what I’ve said. Yes, Lower Decks could technically slot into the Star Trek timeline without causing any major contradictions. The show itself, however, is wildly different from any of the other shows.

If you took a season of The Next Generation and slotted in an episode of Lower Decks it would, in fact, break the show.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

This is like talking to a brick wall. I’m talking about tone, genre, and characterization and you’re countering with quotes about continuity. Nothing you just quoted contradicts, or even really speaks to what I’ve said. Yes, Lower Decks could technically slot into the Star Trek timeline without causing any major contradictions. The show itself, however, is wildly different from any of the other shows.

If you took a season of The Next Generation and slotted in an episode of Lower Decks it would, in fact, break the show.

So it’s like... Star Trek with jokes?

I agree with you that it’s not “Star Trek” but the goal is that it is. You just don’t know the difference between a pitch description and reality.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Powered Descent posted:

Yup. Bojack Horseman, Community, The Good Place, The Orville, Adventure Time... none of these have had any character depth or development whatsoever since comedies don't do that. :wtc:

Yeah those are all examples of shows with faux character development which I hate.

It’s not real or long lasting by if you pretend you can trick people into believining it.

Adam Sandler does the movie equivalent.

Next time name some good comedy series

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Super Deuce posted:

I agree with you that it’s not “Star Trek” but the goal is that it is. You just don’t know the difference between a pitch description and reality.

I’m geniunely asking, do you not know what tone is? Like the TNG movies have a genuinely different tone to what the show was. Nothing to with continuity poo poo, they are functionally different properties

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Super Deuce posted:

I can’t. I just can’t anymore. I’m done.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Well the idea with it is that with the shorter seasons you have at least the first draft of the entire season's scripts done before you start filming,

I guess (although I would say you don't even need whole first drafts, just story outlines), but decoupling from network broadcasting was also supposed to pay off in terms of having the time to do things right (not having to make an arbitrary "season" schedule), as well as being able to run shows longer (or shorter) if it made sense to do so.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

A multi-page argument about something this dumb and pedantic is extremely Star Trek, however

In fact, let's put in some background music. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AphxyjrH4SE

edit: fun fact

https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/star-trek-miles-obrien-statue-dublin

apparently the joke is based on reality.

but to quote another forum.

Miles O'Brien SF's greatest officer. You're goddamn right!

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 23, 2020

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m geniunely asking, do you not know what tone is? Like the TNG movies have a genuinely different tone to what the show was. Nothing to with continuity poo poo, they are functionally different properties

So you’re now going to make an argument that the Star Trek movies aren’t Star Trek?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

So you’re now going to make an argument that the Star Trek movies aren’t Star Trek?

Do you not understand the point the poster was making?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Super Deuce posted:

The Star Trek movies vary quite significantly from the shows in terms of tone, while still maintaining the genre and rough themes. They’re more bombastic and adventurous, but still recognizably drama/adventure/morality plays. At their goofiest (say The Voyage Home) they would still never be mistaken for Airplane!

Lower Decks is like if First Contact had been Hot Shots!

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Do you not understand the point the poster was making?

Lower Decks is garbage but the goal of it is still to be Star Trek. It’s quite literally Star Trek with jokes, which the initial claim we’re talking about denies. Do you not understand their claim is insane? Star Trek isn’t a “tone”.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

Lower Decks is garbage but the goal of it is still to be Star Trek. It’s quite literally Star Trek with jokes, which the initial claim we’re talking about denies. Do you not understand their claim is insane? Star Trek isn’t a “tone”.

You could have just said no

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah those are all examples of shows with faux character development which I hate.

It’s not real or long lasting by if you pretend you can trick people into believining it.

Well, the ones I listed frequently turn up on critics' and viewers' "best of the 2010s" lists (either of comedies or just of shows in general), but hey, that's all a matter of taste. (And there is, of course, plenty of good comedy that doesn't go for deep characterization. I sometimes wish there was more 80s-style zany "blink and you miss three sight gags" parody, like Airplane or Police Squad.)

But now you have me intrigued: can you name a few examples of what YOU consider good comedy? It might be that our only disagreement is on the boundaries of the genre.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

CharlestheHammer posted:

:confused:
How was Bojack's character development "fake"? If anything, people were complaining that his behaviour kept reverting in new and horrible ways, which is the most realistic "awful person attempts to be better" development I've seen.

EDIT: It's fine if you hated it though

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBURlcNpfoo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Did someone just say the Good Place was bad and had no character development? :psyduck: Character development was literally the point of the show!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Did someone just say the Good Place was bad and had no character development? :psyduck: Character development was literally the point of the show!

Jesus I missed that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I was literally about to make this post word for word including the same emoji

Talk about telling on yourself

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

You seem like a fun person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Technowolf posted:

LDS is nowhere near as racist or misogynistic as Family Guy is.

Right, I’m not trying to imply that it shares all the writing and themes of Family Guy, just that it’s got the makings of a “dumb poo poo happens every week” show with little need to develop the characters beyond caricatures used to play out said dumb stuff.

Which is fine. Not every show has to be introspective and deep. Sometimes you just wanna laugh at people cleaning cum out of a holodeck.