Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The gameplay in that has a lot of red flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I'm excited for Gotham Knights. There were some parts that definitely felt pre-Alpha, but it looks fun.

On the whole, I really enjoyed FanDome. Really felt like a convention in a way that SDCC @ Home didn't.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Is Gotham Knights just more Arkham Asylum or is it a completely different type of game? Because more Arkham Asylum is never bad.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
It looks like a co-op Arkham Asylum game, yes. A few differences, but it's definitely the base template.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Is Gotham Knights just more Arkham Asylum or is it a completely different type of game? Because more Arkham Asylum is never bad.

Gotham Knights isn't in the Arkham series but borrows a lot of mechanics from it, it seems.

It has some kind of leveling system and loot though seemingly only crafting items, to make number go up.

Suicide Squad is a sequel to Arkham Knight, but also a co-op shooter. There's no gameplay of that one.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean true, but we've also had twenty years of deathly self serious Batman movies between Nolan and Snyder, I feel like it's reasonable to want a Batman movie specifically that's a bit more fun.

What about Lego Batman? Doesn't get much more fun than that.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 23, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It looks like they're adding Ubisoft-style levelling, and to be honest I think it kinda looks like rear end. Maybe it'll be better than it looks right now, but right now... oof. The games portion of the Fandome was weak.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Karloff posted:

What about Lego Batman? Doesn't get much more fun that.

That’s not a Batman movie.

That’s a Lego movie with Batman in it.

We want a Batman movie with Lego in it!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Aphrodite posted:

Gotham Knights isn't in the Arkham series but borrows a lot of mechanics from it, it seems.

It has some kind of leveling system and loot though seemingly only crafting items, to make number go up.

Suicide Squad is a sequel to Arkham Knight, but also a co-op shooter. There's no gameplay of that one.
Apparently Rocksteady is saying that the combat is similar to the Arkham games but there are also guns. Not sure how that works exactly, but the game is probably almost 2 years from coming out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

twistedmentat posted:

And they love to act like DC movies are for adults, but they're for 14 year olds idea for adults are.

I'm still laughing at Snyder saying "I make movies for grownups." Yeah, Granny's Peach Tea and "Do you bleed? You will" are soooo grownup. :jerkbag: That's some Max Landis level of delusion.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Davros1 posted:

I'm still laughing at Snyder saying "I make movies for grownups." Yeah, Granny's Peach Tea and "Do you bleed? You will" are soooo grownup. :jerkbag: That's some Max Landis level of delusion.

I think Snyder wants to be seen as a serious filmmaker, but his skill is in making fun over the top popcorn movies.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently Rocksteady is saying that the combat is similar to the Arkham games but there are also guns.
From the preview (which is rough and may change) it looks like each character gets a slight tweak to the fighting mechanics. With the biggest difference being Red Hood, who uses the guns as part of his regular fightcombos... kind of like how Iron Man works in this Avengers beta thing.

So instead of punching thugs his combos will be like "shot to the chest, shot to the chest, shot to the legs to sweep them down, etc"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FilthyImp posted:

From the preview (which is rough and may change) it looks like each character gets a slight tweak to the fighting mechanics. With the biggest difference being Red Hood, who uses the guns as part of his regular fightcombos... kind of like how Iron Man works in this Avengers beta thing.

So instead of punching thugs his combos will be like "shot to the chest, shot to the chest, shot to the legs to sweep them down, etc"

That's Gotham Knights, not Suicide Squad. Suicide Squad didn't get a gameplay trailer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gotham Knights is definitely more Arkham-style combat

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Abroham Lincoln posted:

when you have a following that size and that passionate, you have a responsibility not to give people a target. nobody's so dense that they literally verbatim say "go harass this person."

dude was inaccurate but snyder just signal boosted the fact that there was a leak to begin with, so it all seems pretty petulant to me.

Please post examples of harassment that resulted

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like when Batman can't move his neck because then he fights people without even looking at them like a total badass.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arist posted:

What if, hypothetically, we could have The Batman and also fun and silly movies

The Batman looks insanely fun

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man this thread went places while I was out but now that I can check everything out

Snyder: actually looked good? Surprised, but I'm actually looking forward to it

Suicide Squad: I cannot believe that in TYOOL 2020 I'm looking forward to a SS movie and game. Man, I generally don't even like the Suicide Squad or half the characters in it, but that looks interesting, I gotta admit

Batman: I'm of two minds, I like that it looks like Batman is gonna do some real detective poo poo, I like the Batmobile that looks very DIY, I don't like the end that has him beating the absolute poo poo out of that dude. Like, I don't like when people go "oh Batman's just a billionaire who beats up poor/mentally ill people" because that feels like a very reductive critique designed to make people feel bad about liking an inherently silly premise you're not supposed to think that much about, but it is hard to watch that and not go "Jesus Christ, Batman, take it easy, he's just a guy".

How Wonderful! posted:

Darkseid can fuss and scrap when he needs to. I think one of his more iconic iterations is from the old DCAU and he was always throwing punches around in some really memorable fights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTECNKpZAM4

"Had I known one human's death would pain you so, I would've killed more" is one of the all-time best villain lines in any media.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 23, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like when Batman can't move his neck because then he fights people without even looking at them like a total badass.

Best move in all the movies is still probably that backfist to the face he gives to the guy near the end of Batman '89.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

Best move in all the movies is still probably that backfist to the face he gives to the guy near the end of Batman '89.

That is what immediately came to my mind too when he said that, and I tried to recreate it endlessly in my youth.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

TwoPair posted:

Like, I don't like when people go "oh Batman's just a billionaire who beats up poor/mentally ill people" because that feels like a very reductive critique designed to make people feel bad about liking an inherently silly premise you're not supposed to think that much about, but it is hard to watch that and not go "Jesus Christ, Batman, take it easy, he's just a guy".

Assuming that "you shouldn't think" about media, any media, that you consume is a flat-out wrong and dangerous thought process. It's inhuman. Having that reaction to the Batman beatdown is good and you need to lean into it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The other guys are all horrified too so I’m sure it’s not just “drat Batman is cool.”

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, it looks like Batman might be making an "example" of the poor dude to scare the others off from attacking him in a group.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

No it's where he beats up some guys and then throws a grenade back at them and they die

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TwoPair posted:

Batman: I'm of two minds, I like that it looks like Batman is gonna do some real detective poo poo, I like the Batmobile that looks very DIY, I don't like the end that has him beating the absolute poo poo out of that dude. Like, I don't like when people go "oh Batman's just a billionaire who beats up poor/mentally ill people" because that feels like a very reductive critique designed to make people feel bad about liking an inherently silly premise you're not supposed to think that much about, but it is hard to watch that and not go "Jesus Christ, Batman, take it easy, he's just a guy".

Yea I had the same reaction. I hate that description because it makes it seem like batman is going around beating up people with depression or bipolar disorder, but that scene really makes me think they're making Batman way more brutal and unforgiving about crime. The line "I am Vengance" really puts me in a bad mood about the whole thing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like the other take where all the villains are only labelled insane because they're white and more often than not rich.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I had the same reaction. I hate that description because it makes it seem like batman is going around beating up people with depression or bipolar disorder, but that scene really makes me think they're making Batman way more brutal and unforgiving about crime. The line "I am Vengance" really puts me in a bad mood about the whole thing.

The character’s second most well known line?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Batman trailer looks good. Batsuit looks good in motion. Pattison is a loving amazing actor so I have no doubts for his performance.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Dano's had a good decade of film roles too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man I forgot Hans Zimmer was scoring WW84

I quite liked Rupert Gregson-Williams' themes for the first WW but yeah, no one can really compete with Zimmer. :allears: He's done the whole DC Trinity at this point!

I can hear shades of his Da Vinci Code stuff in here, which is kinda crazy 'cuz I used to think parts of that score would work great for a WW film soundtrack...and here we are lol.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The real magic of The Suicide Squad is it's the first time I ever said, "Yes! Jai Courtney is back!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

The real magic of The Suicide Squad is it's the first time I ever said, "Yes! Jai Courtney is back!"

He was fantastic in the first one, an absolute delight.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

It does honestly look like a completely different film. And it literally couldn’t be worse than the previous version.

Snyder fans are going to love it no matter what. Snyder haters are going to hate it no matter what. Everyone else will be various shades of “Yeah, that was pretty good” or “Meh, that kind of sucked”. And it’ll fuel more dumb bickering between CD and BSS.

So a net neutral impact on the world, I guess?

Na, I'm a snyder hater and I was actually looking forward to based, entirely on Ray Fisher's tweets. After seeing that boring rear end trailer and learning it's going to be 4 hours? Getting through the extended BvS was a loving chore, my anticipation just plummeted through the loving bedrock.

That's okay though, because Gunn's Suicide Squad looks loving AMAZING. Plus Battinson looks great, so I'm optimistic for that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I can't say I particularly like Snyder but I'm willing to give the movie a chance if it delivers on people's promises of being a Cyborg centred film. I kinda suspect that's not going to be what the story is actually going to be, though.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

One thing I found weird about the Fandome event was how keen everyone was to say "this is for the fans" and "fans are the most important thing" to the point where it felt cloying and kind of creepy. Maybe it's par for the course for this kind of thing, but, I can see how a lot of fans brains break and feel entitled when they're talked about in this way. There was even a couple odd thank yous about fans "loyalty to DC". Brand loyalty is dumb, but seemingly easily weaponized, and perhaps when they saw fan movements such as Snydercut get so much traction, someone at Warner Bros was rubbing their hands together thinking "if we talk these people up in the right way, they'll do a lot of our marketing for us, and brigade any criticism of our products on twitter".

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Batman looks interesting. I'm not blown away, but I'm going to go see it. Seeing The Riddler on screen looks like it'll be pretty fun.

Darkseid looks bad, but Snyderstuff is far far away from my taste. Won't be giving the movie a chance anyway.

Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad both made me feel so iffy. The Squad trailer is fun and dynamic, but I am so sick and tired of evil Superman. I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing broody glowing eye Superman again. I'm just so over it. The GK trailer on the other hand also looked pretty neat, but the gameplay gives me pause. Doesn't look like it'll be quite the polished experience I normally expect from an Arkham game.

I don't know that I care about Black Adam, but The Rock's voice over was pretty cool. I might have to see Shazam and then go see this one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know I should be more interested and concerned with things like cinematography and characterization but just for the moment I'll say how excited I am that the Batmobile is an old school pre-Burton pimped up sportscar ride. The movies do not need to forever escalate the from-the-wheels-up custom Batmobile arms race.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Upon further reflection, I think that Justice League trailer was pretty laser-focused on people who are already hyped for the Snyder cut because it’s the Snyder cut. It’s designed entirely to showcase the alternate footage, not really telling us much about the movie except what it’s not, and leaning hard on the Snyder nostalgia with the music choice. So I think the fact that people who are already hyped are peeing their pants while most everyone else is kind of lukewarm is a feature, not a bug. They know the audience for this movie, they’re selling it hard to them, and hoping their enthusiasm is enough to pique others’ interest.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rhyno posted:

This thread took a turn.

I love Rick & Morty. Rick & Morty has a weirdly toxic fanbase. They do not represent me, my love of the show, or my views on life. When someone on the internet says "Rick & Morty fans are depraved psychos" I do not chime in with a "I'm so sick of being called a psycho!" because I know exactly who they are referring to and I recognize that it's not me and yet also an accurate assessment.

I am a white man. White men are what's wrong with the world. Most white men do not represent me or my views on life. When my fiance exclaims "Men are trash!" I do not chime in with a "Not all men" because I know exactly who she is referring to and I recognize that it's not me and yet also an accurate assessment.

Zach Snyder is a big boy(I think) and doesn't need anyone in this thread to white knight for him. Please don't let tribalism loving ruin this thread, if I can sit through people making GBS threads on the movies I like then I know most of you can too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I think the idea behind showcasing only alternate footage is to also say "Yeah, this absolutely is an entirely different beast from the theatrical cut", not just for the content cut out but just for how much better the film actually looks. I've seen some comparison shots between the snyder cut and the whedon version and the latter looks like a bad episode of the office. It also hints to a lot of the pathos and emotional scenes that were either cut out or botched. The cornfield, Iris, Kents in the cornfield, that sort of thing. Not to mention it hinted at the huge chunks of cyborgs story that got cut out. Him at the graveyard, his dad pulling a manhattan, him limping while crying, there's clearly a lot of stuff that's focusing on cyborg. It's basically highlighting what the differences will be from the theatrical cut, which is fine.

I mean, this is a weird situation to be in. Technically, a version of the film is out, but it's radically different from what was planned and shot, so what do you showcase in such a trailer? I think saying "this is how this version will be different" was a good choice.

Edit: