Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

Is that single phase and a neutral, or three-phase?

Three phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
With enough current it is single phase.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

sharkytm posted:

Three phase.

Still good then, if the motor overloads, it has to do it phase-phase, so no need for a third fuse!

:science:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Elviscat posted:

Still good then, if the motor overloads, it has to do it phase-phase, so no need for a third fuse!

:science:

Yea, what's a ground fault :eng99:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ground fault should be handled by the upstream circuit protection, the disconnect before the contactor should have fuses that are down sized for motor protection, not circuit protection.

I am 100% sure that the chucklefuck that used a length of pipe as a fuse, and failed to identify any sort of phasing did everything else 100% correctly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Blacknose posted:

This is why half the electrical goods just got replaced in my house. Substation faults are quite a thing.

Oof. How many houses got involved in THAT party?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Those crimps aren't crimped.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

STR posted:

Oof. How many houses got involved in THAT party?

A few hundred. Some had only minor damage while others, like ours, lost nearly everything that was plugged in plus damage to wiring. I chatted with the guys fixing the substation (it's right behind my row of houses) and a neutral fault took out the transformer. The fuses and failsafes in the substation all failed to catch it before it ran away and hit the whole area with something approaching distribution current.

Things started going pop in our house so I went to kill the breakers and the RCD exploded in my face, which was pretty spicy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Blacknose posted:

a neutral fault took out the transformer. The fuses and failsafes in the substation all failed to catch it before it ran away and hit the whole area with something approaching distribution current.

I have personally seen relays and reclosers with default protection settings in the field. A neutral fault isn't typically included in those defaults. You'd think an owner/operator would do a better job protecting assets like a transformer, but no. At least it wasn't a transmission transformer.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Yeah I'm just going on what I could get out of the techs working on it. They weren't super talkative and were trying to give me a mega dumbed down version.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

They were told to keep it simple if asked so no one would know it was caused by wind turbines :tinfoil:

Said someone I expect

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The second you said half the stuff in your house I was like "this is going to be a bad neutral somewhere isn't it"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Apparently a brake got stuck on, exploded, and ignited the magnesium wheel.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If that were a magnesium fire it would still be burning.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

um excuse me posted:

If that were a magnesium fire it would still be burning.

i would think the fire crews would have class D extinguishers for this very scenario.

e: video of the incident.

https://twitter.com/IndyCaronNBC/status/1297604321811607553

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A mag fire is visually very different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcvH0wDMXWg

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, if it were an actual magnesium fire it would be blinding white, not orange. That looks like the wheel just got so hot that it failed and blew apart under rotational stresses.

Incidentally, the whole meme about magnesium wheels/engines/castings bursting into a white-hot inferno if the car catches fire is not really true. Back in like WW2 when magnesium parts were new, maybe, but modern magnesium casting alloys are designed not to sustain a fire and will just melt like aluminum.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Interesting.

Takes a few seconds to realize a driver is on fire with methanol.

edit: Should add, not related to rims but Indy in general in the past before they switched.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 23, 2020

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The best story about the flammability of modern-ish magnesium I know of is probably the guy who wanted to burn a NeXT Cube and eventually managed to do it for a magazine photo, back in the mid 90s: https://simson.net/ref/1993/cubefire.html

Surprisingly, it has been updated with a link to an album with all the pictures of the burn.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

So, Hondas are faster than Chevrolets.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powershift posted:

There's a song for that:

Bob Dylan posted:

Wheel's on fire
Rolling down the road
Best notify my next of kin
This wheel shall explode

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

1:19 - why you don't use water on a magnesium fire.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Itzena posted:

1:19 - why you don't use water on a magnesium fire.
Cause you're a countryside firefighter who's never seen one before.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
crossposting
https://i.imgur.com/bKWM9kA.mp4

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Well at least now they have problems to worry about beyond just replacing the rear passenger-side tire.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I love going to a parking lot and laying down some 1s

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
My main reaction is surprise in learning that Challengers have open diffs.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Reminds me of this old classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nI9Ys6q_mw

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

What are the odds that it was a rental?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Powershift posted:

count me impressed as gently caress that the tire outlived the wheel in an "Every point of contact to the tire is glowing yellow" scenario

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

My main reaction is surprise in learning that Challengers have open diffs.

The cheap(er) ones do.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Darchangel posted:

What are the odds that it was a rental?

I dunno, it’s totally missing the guy hanging out the window yelling “FOR $19.95 YOU CAN RENT THIS MOTHERFUCKER”

e: in case you’ve never seen this classic tale

https://youtu.be/dLpuq0jyiCE

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

snugglz posted:

I dunno, it’s totally missing the guy hanging out the window yelling “FOR $19.95 YOU CAN RENT THIS MOTHERFUCKER”

When you get back to the store to return the truck 5 minutes before closing and they slam the rental desk door in your face and charge you an extra day the next morning this is the only answer

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

snugglz posted:

I don't give a drat about UHaul - they make enough money, but I've always felt a pang of sadness for that truck. Poor truck just wants to be useful and do a good job :( they're hurting it

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NoWake posted:

I don't give a drat about UHaul - they make enough money, but I've always felt a pang of sadness for that truck. Poor truck just wants to be useful and do a good job :( they're hurting it

This is a common misconception. Late-model LQ-based Silverados are actually sexually aroused by savage parking lot beatings.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is a common misconception. Late-model LQ-based Silverados are actually sexually aroused by savage parking lot beatings.

this is all ls related vehicle.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NoWake posted:

That truck is a movie star and has brought more value to this world than any of its brethren.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That truck is basically the dog from Call of the Wild, a big ol' wolf, out there being free, while its brethren are stuck in lives of drudgery hauling poo poo around and not being maintained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted: