Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kimbo305 posted:

Unless you have super imbalanced form, you can get away with a cheaper one-sided setup. Though data envy might happen.

And if you have an HR monitor, you can train that way for quite a while.

I think this is a good option - thank you! I’m looking at a power meter rather than hr monitor because I have about 3 years of wattage data from a trainer I’m looking to build on even if it isn’t going to be 1-1 with indoor efforts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

incendia posted:

With that in mind, something with more of an endurance/fun feel seems best and I was looking at the Endurace CF SL Disc 7.0 as a neat option. Especially as at that price-point I could maybe use a little excess money to get a cheap power-meter (Zwift has damaged my brain in terms of looking at power for training goals).

The Endurace is a lovely bike, and if you're going to be stepping up the mileage I'd recommend a bike fit before a power meter (as much as Numbers are Fun)

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hello. Please try to do better at writing in sentences with punctuation and all that useful stuff that people use to understand what you're saying. People are going to skim over your questions otherwise.

sorry i am dumb, tire held air overnight just needed to be rode. i will improve that i was very tired at the time messing with those wheels.

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 20, 2020

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

kimbo305 posted:

Noice. Did you set the headset preload appropriately?

Had to google this poo poo and apparently i did I good job when i was putting poo poo back

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Is the bike shortage over there really that crazy bad? Should I be buying up stock over here in Taiwan where it seems not so much of a problem and shipping that poo poo to desperate people.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

LimburgLimbo posted:

Is the bike shortage over there really that crazy bad? Should I be buying up stock over here in Taiwan where it seems not so much of a problem and shipping that poo poo to desperate people.

It was, now it's at least partially artificial because some brands haven't launched their 2021 products yet and so they're just sitting around.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LimburgLimbo posted:

The taiwanese bike market looks fun, you've got a bunch of poo poo they don't sell over here like Aluminum TCRs.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

The taiwanese bike market looks fun, you've got a bunch of poo poo they don't sell over here like Aluminum TCRs.

Hell yeah, my roadbike is a 2019 TCR SLR 2 which the aluminum TCR with 105, which seems to be a screaming deal since it cost me I think 1100 USD equivalent when I bought it? 8kg 105 race bike for that price is pretty drat good.

Yep they’re 38,000 TWD = 1291 USD, but Giant stores knock off 10% the list price so they’re 1,162 even now and at the time the exchange rate was diff or the 2019 model was a bit cheaper. They own. Tubeless out the box too.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 21, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

went on a group ride on tuesday and had a sensible chuckle at the sound of all the plebs rubbing their disc rotors during the sprint section while me, a sophisticated aficionado of the rim brake experience, could clearly hear the slight creak of my press fit bottom bracket without the shrill scrape of rotors in my ears :smug:

:can:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
slight creak? mine sounds like popcorn kernels made of metal in the microwave

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Ammanas posted:

.....popcorn kernels made of metal in the microwave

When I hear that sound, it usually means the carbon cog carrier on a Shimano cassette is about to explode. Again.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I am riding my bicycle today. Tomorrow as well. I hope my brothers and sisters are also riding their bicycles this weekend.

Here's a photo to inspire you while I wait for the train.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Excellent pedal-tape coordination.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Any of you guys tried Pedal Ed clothes?

I like the look of some of the shorts, just trying to figure out if they’re worth it, and also the sizing. Their size guide suggests I’m an XS or XXS, which seems quite small. I’m usually an S in Rapha.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I went and test rode some bikes today, and I'm not exactly sure what I've learned.

I rode a Salsa Journeyman Apex 1 with 700c wheels that was 52cm, and a Salsa Vaya 105 with 700c wheels that was 54cm.

The 52cm was too small, which became very obvious after riding the 54cm Vaya. It felt really nice size wise, less weight on my shoulders/arms, and a solid feeling full extension of my legs.

That said, despite the Shimano 105 being a higher spec bike, I preferred the shifters of the Apex 1, and I kind of like the simplicity of a 1x gearset, but I don't think it would be a dealbreaker.

The Vaya at $2k was out of my price range, and the Salsa didn't fit. That said, it seems like me liking the SRAM gear, the idea of a 1x, and a steel frame all point to the Kona Rove DL that I mentioned earlier. I'm still tempted to wait on the new All-City Space Horse, which is supposed to be released in a couple weeks, which will cost the same at $1599, but it will have Shimano Tiagra 2x10 equipment. The Surly Straggler also would be a contender here at this price point.

Looking at the bikes on 99 spokes, I think a 54 in the Vaya means a 52 in the Kona and All-City would be appropriate. Not sure on the Straggler, but probably 52 or 54.

So Salsa Journeyman Apex, Surly Straggler, Kona Rove DL, or the 2021 All City Space Horse.

I'm hard pressed to not just get on a list for the Kona, but I figured I'd ask for y'alls thoughts again.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Get the one with the best paint.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Any of you guys tried Pedal Ed clothes?

I like the look of some of the shorts, just trying to figure out if they’re worth it, and also the sizing. Their size guide suggests I’m an XS or XXS, which seems quite small. I’m usually an S in Rapha.

I actually just got a bunch of Pedal Ed stuff and it is excellent quality, but runs really small. Bib size is the same for me as other brands (small) but the jerseys are very snug and very short. If you’re in between sizes I’d definitely size up. Their sizing chart showed me as an XS but I could barely get it zipped. Exchanged for small which I ended up keeping, but they fit more snug than other jerseys.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I caved and got some pedals (crankbrothers double shot 1), and shoes (shimano am5) and other stuff like a bottle cage, padded shorts and gloves.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Unimportant followup, I asked for some advice here a few weeks back, sure that buying a hybrid bike was the right decision. I since was lent a newer (cheap) bike and while there are some neat unpaved trails, I'm trapped in my own town because I'm no longer adolescent enough to ride a cheap slow bike on a high-speed-road shoulder, and frankly there are too many pedestrians and bike-hostile segments on the local tracks to make them much fun. So if I'm still enjoying riding by the time the local shops get stuff in stock again, I'm getting a road bike instead. Thanks for challenging my assumptions, thread!

...Assuming I'm not too overweight to be comfortable on one with some semblance of aerodynamics, that is.

Also, apparently my car is just garbage for bike transport? Sedan, no roof rack mounts, no trailer hitch, OEM spoiler on the boot. But that's a problem for the future.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I had a spoke snap on me rear wheel a few days ago, the second one since my LBS trued it. Admittedly, it's been over the course of a year since the truing, so It might just be me attributing it to a shop whose work I already don't trust. Their mechanic is a nice kid, but he's largely untrained and kinda has to figure it out as he goes. and I don't want to go back and pay for that. So, I'm probably going to need to teach myself to re-spoke and true wheels soon. In the meantime, a friend is loaning me a wheel (especially important since I have a time trial in a week).

And also I kinda just want to buy a secondhand set of deep carbon wheels. "I broke a spoke so I'm buying new wheels" is stupid and I'm aware of that, it's kind of just another excuse to do something I wanted to do anyway, or at least think it out. What things should I look out for on the secondary market? I'm looking at 10 speed rim brake wheels, so at least they're getting cheaper all the time, but those brake tracks aren't getting any less worn either. I think Zipp had some bad hubs around that time in bike tech I should watch out for? I don't see myself buying a new bike for a few years at least, so I'm not super worried about getting wheels that won't work on something newer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

uvar posted:

Also, apparently my car is just garbage for bike transport? Sedan, no roof rack mounts, no trailer hitch, OEM spoiler on the boot. But that's a problem for the future.

If you take the front wheel off, chances are good that you can squeeze a road bike in the back seat.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

If you take the front wheel off, chances are good that you can squeeze a road bike in the back seat.

If that doesn't work for some reason, take a look at the Seasucker racks.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I rode 41 today with 1450 ft of elevation at 12:45pm in TX, so it was hot as balls. This was my first "group ride", as I invited all the guys I know who own bikes. They mostly bailed at the halfway point and only me and one other guy completed the route. We stopped at a church at mile 35 to drench our outfits and refill our water bottles from the hose. Prioritizing run vs bike is going to be a problem I think. My calf hurts though so biking it is.

edit: I've ridden this far a few times, but today is the day that hurt my rear end and hands a whole lot.

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 23, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

can't emphasize how correct this is

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

Another hidden feature in favor of a lighter bike, too.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I rode a boat today.

Also dumpstered a group ride that I caught up to, looked at my strava flybys and had a good laugh as I watched them try to pace me in vain after I passed them and they blow up half a mile later. :allears:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Doing the lord's work, e.pilot.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

e.pilot posted:

I rode a boat today.

Also dumpstered a group ride that I caught up to, looked at my strava flybys and had a good laugh as I watched them try to pace me in vain after I passed them and they blow up half a mile later. :allears:

I hope you were wearing baggies and a t-shirt.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PolishPandaBear posted:

I hope you were wearing baggies and a t-shirt.

nah but was in very obvious china kit, which is almost as bad

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Normally this would be the All-City, but the 105 Vaya is loving purple this year so get that. If the dealer only has teal, get an space horse.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I rode a boat today.

Did you do the thing where you try to chat them up while they’re quite obviously dying? This is a favorite of mine.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Did you do the thing where you try to chat them up while they’re quite obviously dying? This is a favorite of mine.

in the before times I would have, in the after times they just get an exuberant non-winded “‘mornin!” as I cruise by

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

turns out I need wide shoes to alleviate the toe numbness issues. The bontrager velocis in 46W instead of 46 was really comfortable. Unfortunately many shoes are apparently not made in wide sizes so I have to spend more money!

that BOA dial is pretty cool though I have to admit

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 23, 2020

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

actionjackson posted:

turns out I need wide shoes to alleviate the toe numbness issues. The bontrager velocis in 46W instead of 46 was really comfortable. Unfortunately many shoes are apparently not made in wide sizes so I have to spend more money!

that BOA dial is pretty cool though I have to admit

If you find a place with a decent selection, I'd love to know about it. I'm going through the same thing myself right now. I've got an old pair of Shimano mtb wide shoes that have been great, but they're starting to break down and I need a new pair.

The XC-501's in blue look awesome, they just seem rare in wide sizes. I've yet to find a place that has either the wide 501 or 701's in stock in my size

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

LordOfThePants posted:

If you find a place with a decent selection, I'd love to know about it. I'm going through the same thing myself right now. I've got an old pair of Shimano mtb wide shoes that have been great, but they're starting to break down and I need a new pair.

The XC-501's in blue look awesome, they just seem rare in wide sizes. I've yet to find a place that has either the wide 501 or 701's in stock in my size

this is the LBS I use for trek/bontrager stuff https://www.freewheelbike.com/

After talking to trek I'll be trying the circuit shoes on, it's confusing because they said the 46W velocis has a similar toe box to the 46 circuit, but the circuit is similar to the solstice, but the velocis fits well and the solstice doesn't...

so if you need a wider shoe, you don't necessarily need a wide size depending on the shoe toe box width.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 23, 2020

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Today I:
-Rode 100k for the first time in a while
-Accidentally set a new 60s power record 5km into the ride (350->402)
-Did this to drop a guy on a hill who I had already passed but was so desperate to pass me again that he rolled through a red light and traffic had to avoid him
-Checked off about 8 or 9 new veloviewer tiles and now I’m at 14x14 square
-Died a thousand deaths in a headwind section on the way home

All in all a good day out.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Andy Dufresne posted:

I rode 41 today with 1450 ft of elevation at 12:45pm in TX, so it was hot as balls. This was my first "group ride", as I invited all the guys I know who own bikes. They mostly bailed at the halfway point and only me and one other guy completed the route. We stopped at a church at mile 35 to drench our outfits and refill our water bottles from the hose. Prioritizing run vs bike is going to be a problem I think. My calf hurts though so biking it is.

edit: I've ridden this far a few times, but today is the day that hurt my rear end and hands a whole lot.

Unless you've been holed up in quarantine with those guys, group rides aren't such a hot idea at the moment. Glad you're enjoying your bike and getting out there but maybe solo rides are best for now.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I ended up getting the bontrager circuit shoe in 46, it had just a slightly wider toebox which was all I needed.

not sure why they are slightly different, but my incredible complex analysis shows that it is definitely a bit wider, especially on the right side

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 23, 2020

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

actionjackson posted:

I ended up getting the bontrager circuit shoe in 46, it had just a slightly wider toebox which was all I needed.

not sure why they are slightly different, but my incredible complex analysis shows that it is definitely a bit wider, especially on the right side

Nice, hopefully it solves your comfort problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

actionjackson posted:

they said the 46W velocis has a similar toe box to the 46 circuit, but the circuit is similar to the solstice, but the velocis fits well and the solstice doesn't...

Even within a brand’s own lineup, there’s a lot of variation in sizing and shape. You can get away with buying without trying for jerseys, but not for shoes, helmets, and arguably gloves.