Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
This isn't a recipe it's a cult

quote:

Ingredients
Original recipe yields 128 servings

Ingredient Checklist

10 pounds cucumbers with peel - ends trimmed, halved, seeded, and cut into chunks

2 cups pickling salt

16 cups water

16 cups water

1 ½ teaspoons alum

16 cups water

16 cups water

12 cups white sugar

2 tablespoons pickling spice

6 cups white vinegar

1 tablespoon green food coloring

16 cups water

8 eaches 1-quart canning jars with lids and rings

Directions:

Step 1
Day 1: Place the cucumbers into a large (10-quart) jar or pickle crock. Stir the pickling salt and 16 cups of water (or as needed to cover the cucumbers) into a large pot, and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the salt is dissolved. Pour the boiling salt mixture over the cucumbers, and cover the crock with a cover or dinner plate.

Step 2
Days 2 and 3: Stir the pickles and brine once each day. Cover the crock each time.

Step 3
Day 4: Pour off the brine. Bring 16 more cups of water to a boil, and pour the boiling water over the pickles. Cover.

Step 4
Day 5: Pour off the water from the pickles again, and bring alum and 16 cups of water to a boil. Stir until the alum is completely dissolved. Pour the boiling water-alum mixture over the pickles. Cover.

Step 5
Day 6: In a large pot, boil 16 more cups of water with the sugar, pickling spice, vinegar, and food coloring. Pour the water-alum mixture from the pickles and discard, and pour the boiling sugar mixture over the pickles. Cover.

Step 6
Day 7: Pour off the syrup from the pickles, but retain the syrup. Transfer the syrup into a large pot, bring to a boil again, and pour over the pickles. Cover.

Step 7
Day 8: Pour off and retain the syrup again, and transfer into a large pot. Reboil the syrup over medium heat. Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack the pickles into the hot, sterilized jars, and pour the boiling syrup in, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.

Step 8
Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then carefully lower the jars into the pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary until the water level is at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a full boil, cover the pot, and process for 15 minutes.

Step 9
Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Brawnfire posted:

Who are these psychos that cook lettuce

gently caress

One of my favourite dishes is fried rice made with salted fish and shredded lettuce. The texture just works better with the rice than cabbage would.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

angerbeet posted:

Google brings up recipes for icicle and iceberg pickles and they all sound awful and take multiple days to make with numerous boilings and strainings and food coloring and 1/2 cup of sugar per cucumber.
I don't know if "iceberg" or "icicle" is the same as "icebox," but this recipe is similar (ingredient-wise) to the one my grandma used for icebox pickles. Hers was much more a set-it-and-forget-it deal, though. This? This is nonsense.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

16 cups water

16 cups water

16 cups water

16 cups water

16 cups water

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

16 cups and what do ya get? Another day older and pickles get wet.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Iceberg lettuce is a goddamn plague, as is every other crunchy or stem heavy green.

Soft, green, and leafy is the way to go for that sort of thing.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Somewhere in France, someone is masturbating to this right now.

snoo posted:

16 cups water

16 cups water

16 cups water

16 cups water

16 cups water

Why are you posting my daily meal plan?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

lmao

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

Ha! Thanks Joe!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Iceberg lettuce is a goddamn plague, as is every other crunchy or stem heavy green.

Soft, green, and leafy is the way to go for that sort of thing.

iceberg lettuce is extremely good on sandwiches. also I ate a sandwich with nothing but leafy arugula as a green recently and it was loving terrible so you are wrong twice here

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is a recipe for homeopathic pickles. Each day the pickles are reduced by a factor of 2^16, but after five days the essence of pickleness is intact. Science!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

iceberg lettuce is extremely good on sandwiches. also I ate a sandwich with nothing but leafy arugula as a green recently and it was loving terrible so you are wrong twice here

I just ate a piece of iceberg just to double check my memory and no, it's still a terrible green that retains too much water and has negligible flavor. It can only improve things with its exclusion.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IllinformedSociableCob-mobile.mp4
"Add as much corn as you want" So none then.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
When I was about 7 or so I used to love to get a whole head of chilled iceberg lettuce and just eat it leaf by leaf for the crunch.

Now the times I buy lettuce I get some fancy red or green leaf or butter lettuce because it has actual substance and possible nutrients over just crunch factor. But I still think about being small and the luxury of eating an entire cold head of what was essentially chilled, crunchy water.

The worst thing about ordering salads is cheddar. I loving hate it in salads because I prefer olive oil and vinegar or italian or greek dressing and let me tell you that shredded cheddar cheese does not loving work with anything but ranch. I try to only get greek salads but sometimes that loving cheddar sneaks in there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

:vince:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Grilled romaine lettuce is fantastic. There was a brief fad for it in restaurants near me, usually in a Caesar salad, and I was sad when that went away.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

LifeSunDeath posted:

"Let cool for one hour" So eat it at room temperature then.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I’m surprised there wasn’t more sugar on there too.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Ultimate Mango posted:

Somewhere in France, someone is masturbating to this right now.
Trust me, we're collectively offended by that video. I bet it's not even demi-sel butter.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

That butter omelet has real Greasy Strangler “lubricate the world” energy.

https://i.imgur.com/RfgpBTG.mp4

I don’t know if this is AFP or OSHA

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

It's all that and schaden.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

LifeSunDeath posted:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IllinformedSociableCo

Why do none of your videos, *and only yours* load for me on the Awful App?

E: edited out video

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Aug 24, 2020

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Holy poo poo don't quote it my laptop can't take it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

rodbeard posted:

Holy poo poo don't quote it my laptop can't take it.

My PC can't handle it. :laugh:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I'm really sorry, it's always the gyfcat clips that I paste here...the link even says "mobile" but it comes out super huge size even on my 1440 monitor it's like 3x larger.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Elviscat posted:

Why do none of your videos, *and only yours* load for me on the Awful App?

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm really sorry, it's always the gyfcat clips that I paste here...the link even says "mobile" but it comes out super huge size even on my 1440 monitor it's like 3x larger.
I don't know what's up with this video specifically, which won't play on my desktop either, but in a broader sense, the "-mobile" part of the link breaks the embedder on the android Awful app and doesn't actually do anything for the size on desktop. If you remove the "-mobile" part of such links in the future they should work for everybody. The reason this only happens in LSD's posts, is because they seem to be pretty much the only one in PYF posting these specific type of links.

The magnum dong size of the videos on desktop is a thing that's not fixable on the poster's end, sadly.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ah, Sprighetti Rolls

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OK I want to know how and why "blue raspberry" has become the #1 most common default artificial flavor in the candy universe

What the hell chemical is used to create it and what company has managed to obtain a production monopoly protected by a legislative loophole or whatever I assume is going on

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Data Graham posted:

OK I want to know how and why "blue raspberry" has become the #1 most common default artificial flavor in the candy universe

What the hell chemical is used to create it and what company has managed to obtain a production monopoly protected by a legislative loophole or whatever I assume is going on

Icee was worried people would confuse their cherry flavor with the raspberry flavor so they used blue dye for their raspberry.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

i think the idea is that there are too many red fruits. you have cherry, strawberry, watermelon, raspberry f'instance. different shades of red were used for each fruit. red dye #2 was what you would use for raspberry but that got banned in the usa. some smart guy said we have this blue dye lying around and uh technically there is a "blue" raspberry (it doesn't look blue) so let's just make the raspberry flavor blue.

red dye #2 aka amaranth

FD&C Blue #1 "blue raspberry"

no one can "own" dyes, you can't patent a color.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OK no look I'm not saying "why is it blue"

I'm saying, why has it become so friggin popular?

If there is one flavor available, it will be blue raspberry.

If there are two flavors available, they will be blue raspberry and watermelon.

Three flavors? Blue raspberry, watermelon, and green apple.

Yeah :bahgawd: kids these days but I'd thought we had all settled on Skittles flavors like lemon/lime/cherry/strawberry/grape as being the central pillars. Is this really the market speaking or is there something weirder going on.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Data Graham posted:

OK no look I'm not saying "why is it blue"

I'm saying, why has it become so friggin popular?

If there is one flavor available, it will be blue raspberry.

If there are two flavors available, they will be blue raspberry and watermelon.

Three flavors? Blue raspberry, watermelon, and green apple.

Yeah :bahgawd: kids these days but I'd thought we had all settled on Skittles flavors like lemon/lime/cherry/strawberry/grape as being the central pillars. Is this really the market speaking or is there something weirder going on.

it makes your tongue blue dude

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's because blue raspberry is the best.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
it's a hot summer day, i would love to try me them sours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

No blue raspberry is real, it's grown in the misty mountains of Ligma.