Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

municipal shrimp posted:

I found the easiest way to find simulacrums is just to drop into other people's games and run through an area with them. I have too many to count just from that alone.

What should I be saving these for? I know they are used to increase your dragon hearts, but what else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Upgrading weapons to the max level

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Memnaelar posted:

It does kind of blow me away how much better this game would be with ANY sort of competent narrative design. The rest of it is SO good and satisfying that even just a half-coherent story with stakes to it would make it top-notch.
The first area Earth is kind of the weakest as well, I'm telling free epic friends to stick it out to the next area, the desert world gave me Stargate vibes at least. I mean the root are cool and all, just ruined city just not as cool as the other areas for some reason.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I quite like the ruined city aesthetic of Earth and I remember thinking when this game came out “wow this looks like Darksiders and I loved that game’s aesthetic” before I found out it’s literally by the same developers lol.

The biggest problem with Earth is that they keep making you go through the goddamned sewers and subway lines and those parts are lame.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

earth is a liiiiittle too familiar to be the best starting point and things definitely open up quite a lot the moment you get offworld. it's not badly done, by any means, just something that people are quick to write off given how many games hew close to that aesthetic.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Rhom looks like it belongs in a Heavy Metal comic. I love the aesthetic inside the "temple" style dungeons.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I like Earth as well but they really should have added in some green/blue to break up the rust coloring some how in the fallen cities. The Root are a fun enemy to fight and they work great as intro monsters.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I really didn't enjoy the Subject DLC. The bosses were extremely aggressive but with the added frostbite effect it made the fights very tedious. The new skills seem alright and the new items are ok. Not sure if this DLC they changed the mod generation to mod duration but that really screwed up my armor build. My co op buddy and I experienced a poo poo ton of lag at the last boss fight and my sound would regularly cut out or skip. Ive never had the game crash or bug out this much until this DLC.

At least it was only $10.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CJacobs posted:

Oh yeah, I had a question about the weighted average gear score thing. I understand how it works in the general sense, but does having a slot drag down the average make me do less damage or take more? For example, I'm wondering if I should upgrade my melee weapon even though I'm never gonna bother using one on this character. Does the game ONLY take the average into account when generating areas, and not moment-to-moment like weapon damage or defense from enemy attacks?

While I can't speak to how the average functions (I always assumed it simply took your highest leveled piece of gear per new world you visit and used that), It's not really a big deal if you aren't leveling a melee weapon. Primary and Secondary weapons + Armor are the important things to level because you'll need all of them to survive. That said you'll eventually find a fun melee weapon (or the punch ring) and you'll want to start leveling one. Melee builds can be pretty fun!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I looked it up and the way it works specifically is: The game takes your highest upgraded piece of gear from each category (handgun, long gun, melee, helm, shirt, pants) and adds their upgrade levels together, then divides by 6. The resulting number is rounded to the nearest whole and that's your gear score, which you can see hovering over your save on the main menu. Boss items count +2 per upgrade instead of +1. Also, each slot starts at +1, so the actual level of your equipment is always one higher than your upgrade level for calculation purposes.

When you enter a new area, the game takes your gear score and scales the area's enemy hp/damage/drops/mats to gear score +1. It then stays at that scale forever or until you regenerate the world. So what this means for my question is, yes it will drag down the gear score but no it won't affect the game's difficulty for the most part. In the example of my melee weapon slot getting neglected, the only thing that lagging behind will affect is how much damage I deal with weapons in that specific slot. Anything that's up to date (or higher) will do normal damage or offer normal protection.

edit: But you're right, there's not much reason to neglect a specific slot in the first place because eventually I'm sure I'll find something to put in it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 24, 2020

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

In the example of my melee weapon slot getting neglected, the only thing that lagging behind will affect is how much damage I deal with weapons in that specific slot. Anything that's up to date (or higher) will do normal damage or offer normal protection.

so in other words, a piece of gear that's over your average gear score is not any more powerful than a piece of equipment that's equal to your average gear score?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
After a bit more research, it looks like your average gear score and highest-level-per-slot doesn't get used in gameplay, only for world gen stuff. So it's individual equipped item level vs area's difficulty level when it comes to health/damage/protection. A weapon higher than the area's level will get a 'bonus' to damage, while one lower than the area's level will deal reduced damage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Earth is by far the least compelling part of the game. Pretty much everyone who I introduce to this game enjoy it but don't truly get into it until you hit the Labyrinth/Rhom and it suddenly becomes apparent that this isn't just run of the mill post apocalyptic bullshit everyone's seen a thousand times before.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
i just started the game and really like it so far. i’m really excited to get to the other parts since it seems like i’m at the least compelling part of the game.

is the discord in the OP still active? i joined in hopes of finding other goons to play with but it seems pretty dead.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

durrneez posted:

i just started the game and really like it so far. i’m really excited to get to the other parts since it seems like i’m at the least compelling part of the game.

is the discord in the OP still active? i joined in hopes of finding other goons to play with but it seems pretty dead.

I'm not familiar with that one, most of the Remnant co-op I've done with goons has happened in the Co-op Goon discord. Here's the link ( https://discord.gg/vSNn4Sk ) if you want to join, you'll have to authenticate with your SA account. This server also includes co-op for a lot of other games like DRG etc.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 25, 2020

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
sweet, thanks. i joined and assigned myself roles using the bot.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I've done Adventure Mode through Earth three times without getting what I'm looking for (the Trait that Cultists start with, that's all I want). Is it safe to assume you get more scrap / higher level iron / more xp at higher difficulties? Or should I just keep running through on Normal?

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Making people do a sewer level right off for the story was not a very good choice, I haven't gotten past Earth yet because Im really sick of sewer levels in general.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

OzFactor posted:

I've done Adventure Mode through Earth three times without getting what I'm looking for (the Trait that Cultists start with, that's all I want). Is it safe to assume you get more scrap / higher level iron / more xp at higher difficulties? Or should I just keep running through on Normal?

Yeah the XP and Scrap rewards are substantially better on higher difficulties at the cost of being proportionately more difficult - Hard is a good one to get into once you're at +10 gear and Nightmare around +15

the quality of Iron that drops is based on your gear level so just level up your gear normally and you'll see better Iron more frequently - in general the iron you need for your next level up is what will be dropping.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

OzFactor posted:

Just keep rolling adventure till you get it. The good news is it will happen much sooner rather than later, the devs implemented a weight system so you become more likely to see content you haven't seen yet than content you have. Back before that (for a long while) you prayed to RNG gods that you would get that one thing you hadn't found in 100 rerolls on any given world.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay, fine. I'll do it one more time. This will be #7. But I feel like if I post about it, my odds increase dramatically.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

OzFactor posted:

Okay, fine. I'll do it one more time. This will be #7. But I feel like if I post about it, my odds increase dramatically.

At least the enormous piles of scrap you get for getting duplicate items are a nice miss protection - they're usually enough for a couple upgrades

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's really quite nice how your first respec orb refunds all the points, including the one point every trait starts with. It's like you're getting a dozen free points to put in the things you actually want right away.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
One of the many, many things I appreciate about the developers of this game is the large number of quality of life features and improvements they have added.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Just recently getting into this, and I have to say, I really enjoy the little high-pitched musical sting when a tough enemy appears. Especially if it's followed by my character saying "Oh poo poo!". It's nice to know there's a guy to watch out for when things start getting hectic.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My brothers and I played this around ps4 launch and the last boss was a huge pain in the rear end but it seems like they nerfed the heck out of by letting all three of us into the weird shadow realm.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

My brothers and I played this around ps4 launch and the last boss was a huge pain in the rear end but it seems like they nerfed the heck out of by letting all three of us into the weird shadow realm.

What was different before about the nightmare fight in the past?

Finished it recently and we found it sorta weird he only seemed to have an attack that shot slightly homing bombs and that shadowrealm banish attack.

Estel
May 4, 2010
In multiplayer only one person at a time was teleported to the shadow realm while the other 2 couldn't do anything except for dodging fireballs. If the one teleported didn't know the fight mechanics then you lost a dps cycle on the boss making the fight a lot longer.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Did they ever make it easier to tell what you were supposed to do in the shadow realm? Hanging out in a place that slowly kills you farming up enemies when there's a big glowy exit door is not my idea of intuitive.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
It’s not a great fight tbh, even with the changes.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah the final boss is a bad fight with bad mechanics. Phase one is boring and he has a bullshit vacuum move that means your positioning is irrelevant and you are almost guaranteed to take damage. Phase 2 is completely unintuitive and I had to look it up because I just kept dying to his fireballs trying to stay in range to deal damage (which is worthless without the buffs from killing enemies in the shadow realm).

It sucks to have such a magnificent game with so many good bosses end with a weird, unexplained, unintuitive boss fight and a weak-rear end conclusion. Naturally I immediately rerolled the campaign and played through to the boss again, only to leave off because there's no reason to even kill him again except to get another trait respec.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I put together what was going on with the shadow realm after the second trip there or so because you can see the buff in the corner as you kill enemies, so it was pretty fun. but destiny raids have probably made me a little too observant of weird puzzle poo poo and it’s definitely out of place next to the rest of game.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There is at least something very satisfying about winning the DPS race, cracking the boss open, and pumping three rounds of Breath of the Desert into his weak spot.

That boss is fun once you start seeing him as your chance to make the most stupidly gigantic red numbers you can.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 28, 2020

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The weird thing about that fight is no other fight in the game is like that, there’s no other weird puzzle bosses. There’s some with alternative strategies or elements (such as the Houndmaster) but none of them involve weird buffs or rotating rounds.

If the game had other bosses like it, it might not have come so far out of left field. I don’t really love the Iskal Queen or the final boss of the newest DLC but they’re both pretty much standard boss fights and consequently much better.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Regenerator on Yaesha might count. God help you if you try that normally.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Darth Walrus posted:

The Regenerator on Yaesha might count. God help you if you try that normally.

What, you mean the event that has the infinitely spawning enemies? That’s not really a “boss” tho, more like a gimmick fight. It’s also very easy if your build does any kind of DOT. :eng101:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

What, you mean the event that has the infinitely spawning enemies? That’s not really a “boss” tho, more like a gimmick fight. It’s also very easy if your build does any kind of DOT. :eng101:

Worth noting, though, that enemies only spawn when you look at the walls. Keep your head down, and you can destroy the machines unopposed.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Darth Walrus posted:

Worth noting, though, that enemies only spawn when you look at the walls. Keep your head down, and you can destroy the machines unopposed.

Yeah... I did it once that way too as a test and that really feels more like a glitch than a mechanic. If it’s intentional, it’s profoundly stupid.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

OzFactor posted:

Not in 7. Or 8. Or 9. Am I missing something here? Has anyone ever even seen "Sorrow's Field" because I am running out of ways to keep this interesting. But I will say that a) I have a whole lot of iron and scrap and a pile of Simulacra, and b) I've done a few of these runs all-melee and it's made me appreciate the game's movement and dodging a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

OzFactor posted:

Not in 7. Or 8. Or 9. Am I missing something here? Has anyone ever even seen "Sorrow's Field" because I am running out of ways to keep this interesting. But I will say that a) I have a whole lot of iron and scrap and a pile of Simulacra, and b) I've done a few of these runs all-melee and it's made me appreciate the game's movement and dodging a lot more.

I'd have to say you're just a bit unlucky I guess? Are you making sure you've hit all the dungeons that generate? Sometimes you can skip one or two if you don't explore fully, and the maps can generate in odd ways you wouldn't expect.

Another option is to look up the file reader someone created so you can just reroll adventures and scan them to see if you got the dungeon you wanted before rerolling again without actually running your way fully through the seed. Much faster overall.